Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:01:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Umbrella Academy (Netflix) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Umbrella Academy (Netflix)  (Read 19042 times)
pxib
Terracotta Army

on: February 14, 2019, 08:47:36 PM

Trailer

Viciously weird Darkhorse Comics story about a neurotic team of failed wunderkind semi-superheroes reuniting to save the world. Fun cast, good production values, I'm tentatively optimistic.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 03:17:19 AM

That looks the Watchmaniest.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 10:21:22 AM

Umbrella Academy seems like a pretty weird choice of things to adapt, but I like the source material and that trailer seems acceptable, so I'll mark myself cautiously optimistic for now.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 01:05:39 PM

I actually felt pretty ambivalent towards the source material. It has some good ideas--it's really asking more seriously what it would be like to be a "superhero family" than mainstream comics do. (You know how in the X-Men they constantly say, 'but we're like family!' and that's always meant to be heart-warming and sentimental, when being 'like family' in a lot of contexts would just be weird and alienating and emotionally uncomfortable.)  The powers are a lot weirder (it's kind of odd this is coming out at  the same time as a pretty good version of The Doom Patrol, because the mood is similar). One review says it's like The Royal Tennebaums with super-powers and that's really close to it.

But the original source material also often felt half-finished to me--distractable, jumpy, affected, sometimes too happy with its own cleverness. It's really hard to identify much with the characters, and there's no really good central story or character that sort of holds it all up. The world-building was also weak.

So this might be good? At least a watch? But I suspect it's going to be rather long and rather slow. Which is pretty much the way Netflix does super-heroes generally--they go cheap on the action, streeeetch out the character bits and narrative, and assume 'mood' covers a multitude of sins.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 02:03:45 PM

I do agree that it felt like Gerard Way reaaaally wanted to be Grant Morrison with this, but didn't have the writing muscles to pull it off. It's actually been long enough since I read either that I thought the chimpanzee in this was Dmitri-9, before I remembered that character was actually from Morrison's The Filth. I'm probably overly forgiving of the source material because I have a soft spot for odd and off-kilter stuff.

Also, uggggh, don't tell me Doom Patrol is actually good. I really, really don't want to support DCs grab to have their own streaming service especially because I care about absolutely nothing else they're likely to put on it.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 03:21:13 AM

So I watched this. I enjoyed it particularly Klaus. The arc was fairly predictable and I really only have one thing to say about their father's parenting style:

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 09:37:56 AM

I also liked this, reminded me of Dirk Gently for some reason (and I also liked that one, especially the first season).
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 10:07:22 AM

It was OK through episode 3. Klaus is definitely the best part. Both in writing and in acting.

Watch Maniac and Russian Doll first
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 10:20:55 AM

Russian Doll is shit.  Avoid.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 04:22:49 PM

It's better than the comic, I think. Toned down some of the weirdness, which I did miss. But it filled in all the stuff that Way left in the gutter between the panels and which made the comic feel borderline incoherent at times.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 04:52:23 PM

Seeing Robert Sheehan again and another show being about super powers? Sure, I'll watch that.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 02:36:49 AM

Seeing Robert Sheehan again and another show being about super powers? Sure, I'll watch that.
Yup! I might have freaked out a little bit when I realized who he was. Then me and the wife had an argument about it until she checked imdb and saw I was right. Apparently he is way sexier now that he is all grown up and that threw her off.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 01:51:15 PM

I'm up to the point where Klaus comes back. I hope he learned something and is a better person for having met Dave. We'll see. I know nothing of the source material, and I'm really liking this.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 05:00:35 PM

Yup! I might have freaked out a little bit when I realized who he was. Then me and the wife had an argument about it until she checked imdb and saw I was right. Apparently he is way sexier now that he is all grown up and that threw her off.

The American accent is a bit disconcerting as well.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 03:25:25 PM

I enjoyed this quite a bit, but fuck them for that ending.

I am the .00000001428%
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 10:44:02 AM

I enjoyed this quite a bit, but fuck them for that ending.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 04:08:07 PM

It hasn't even been officially renewed yet, we are not getting more for a long ass time if we do.

I am the .00000001428%
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 08:47:40 AM

So me and the wife are 4 episodes in. We came in never having heard of the show/comic. So far there are a ton of unanswered questions that I am guessing that they expect viewers to want to know the answers to but neither of us really care. The show does a shit job of giving viewers any reason to care about any of the characters. And as for the coming apocalypse... meh.

I want to like it and it definitely seems like the type of show that we would like but so far its been rather boring.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 11:43:13 AM

Wife and I liked it. Finally finished S1 last night. Ended about as expected.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 12:14:38 PM

I'm simultaneously intrigued and annoyed at all the new mysteries hinted at near the end of this season.  Probably going to have to find the comics now.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 12:28:56 PM

They already renewed it.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 06:00:23 PM

Me an my wife begrudgingly likes it. On one hand its some old cheesy bullshit but on the other hand it shows some creative heart and determination. Like it really shouldn't be a show we look forwarding to watching 2-3 episodes at a time. But it is. And I have to say this is how you take creative liberties with the source material. Than we watch some bullshit like Doom Patrol and realize this show could have been much worse.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 06:07:51 PM

On one hand its some old cheesy bullshit but on the other hand it shows some creative heart and determination.

Great description. I finished it yesterday and had a good time. I liked the soundtrack and the fun they had with the more wacky scenes. The kid actor playing Number 5 was so convincing of being an old man in a child's body. Refreshing to have a good superhero story that doesn't come with big-brand baggage.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 09:25:48 PM

Finally watched it here. The soundtrack was really good. The story kind of fluctuated around, but I got the impression they actually made the show more "realistic" than the comics (or at least less weird).

5 and Klaus pretty much carried the show, although probably the best (and most memorable) scene was the dancing scene -- which was really well done.

The whole show really felt like that. Solid throughout, with flashes of "really, really good" and then the occasional flash of "What? Why?".

Good enough I'm looking forward to a Season 2, and I liked the whole really fucked up family dynamics, the absolute mess you'd really make of people trying to turn kids into superheros.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 11:03:54 AM

Season 2 has been announced.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 04:01:24 PM

Luther Hargreeves = Dickon Tarly omg
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 05:12:49 PM

He's Billy Bones from Black Sails :P

I am the .00000001428%
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #27 on: July 12, 2020, 09:59:19 PM

Season 2 has been announced.

Netflix says available July 31. Trailer.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #28 on: July 13, 2020, 08:35:17 AM

I'm very excited to find out why a goldfish is wearing a suit.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 13, 2020, 09:03:28 AM

So that's what happens when you swallow a goldfish live. Man.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 04:13:14 PM

This is back and as great as before.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #31 on: August 01, 2020, 08:48:11 AM

Three episodes in.  So far so good!

The first season took a little while to get its feet under it IMO as we had to meet all the characters and establish the premise.  This one gets to just hit the ground running and I like it.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 09:29:54 PM

I've finished up season 2 and I think it's a bit better than season 1, but still not really a great show. It's just a bit too paint by numbers, lacks real coherency, and isn't consistently fun enough to distract you from that.

It also drags stuff out too long (because it doesn't have enough interesting stuff to show you instead?), and hints and jumps with mysteries and twists that often aren't engaging in suggestion and/or resolution.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:34:15 PM by lamaros »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 11:58:50 AM

It also drags stuff out too long (because it doesn't have enough interesting stuff to show you instead?), and hints and jumps with mysteries and twists that often aren't engaging in suggestion and/or resolution.

They even lampshaded that with the eyeball thing this season. Overall I liked it better than the first season and I thought that one was pretty great.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #34 on: August 04, 2020, 12:08:42 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Got through the entire season in only a few days, which is practically binging in relation to my viewing habits. 

-Rasix
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Umbrella Academy (Netflix)  
Jump to: