Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:42:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Umbrella Academy (Netflix) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Umbrella Academy (Netflix)  (Read 19041 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35 on: August 04, 2020, 10:34:02 PM

Yeah, season 2 good.  Really hope that (a) this goes for at least another season and (b) next season goes in a totally different direction from time travel doomsday shenanigans.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 08, 2020, 12:22:52 PM

I really enjoyed S2. But it didn't leave me wanting more to the degree that the first one did.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 08, 2020, 02:16:18 PM

Rewatching s1. I really love Klaus. Poor fucker.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38 on: August 08, 2020, 05:06:06 PM

Wife and I love the kid who plays Number 5. Something about his mannerisms and tone/cadence.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39 on: August 09, 2020, 09:25:23 AM

Wife and I love the kid who plays Number 5. Something about his mannerisms and tone/cadence.

His motivation in every scene is always "I'm too old for this shit".   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 09, 2020, 09:30:22 AM

They all do a great job with their individual baggage.

I am interested to see how well they handle that with the father guy next year. The scenes with him were a highlight this year.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #41 on: August 09, 2020, 07:49:16 PM

I was so amazed that he still looked exactly the same in season 2 that I had to check he was actually a kid, not some babyfaced adult. He does an incredible job of seeming to be a real, jaded fiftysomething inhabiting a kid's body.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 10, 2020, 05:51:00 PM

Knocks it out the god damn park. Even the weakest storyline is leagues better than most shows entire season.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 13, 2020, 05:24:24 PM

Just finished season 2 episode 8.  Do they ever explain the how the fish got to be in charge?

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 14, 2020, 02:18:25 AM

No and I hope they never do.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 15, 2020, 08:37:23 AM

He was a board member, of course.

I felt like Season 2 wandered a bit, and didn't feel like it really worked.  As for hoping that Time Travel will not pay a part in Season 3... good luck.  That is the only way to fix the problem introduced at the end of Season 2.  

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 16, 2020, 02:50:13 PM

I'm curious to see what they changed exactly - It sounded like the dad was opposed to killing Kennedy the whole time and Kennedy died in the 'real' timeline so that doesn't seem to have been it, unless it was just him being pre-warned about all this crazy business.

I didn't enjoy this season as much as the first but it was good, fun and well acted. Luther stuck between old/young and young/old 5 was really great and I quite enjoyed the poor Swedes.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #47 on: September 16, 2020, 03:07:47 PM

I'm curious to see what they changed exactly - It sounded like the dad was opposed to killing Kennedy the whole time and Kennedy died in the 'real' timeline so that doesn't seem to have been it, unless it was just him being pre-warned about all this crazy business.

I didn't enjoy this season as much as the first but it was good, fun and well acted. Luther stuck between old/young and young/old 5 was really great and I quite enjoyed the poor Swedes.

His relationship with "mom" was ruined. I imagine she had a very profound effect on his concept of humanity. Enough, that even if they didn't have a real lasting relationship, he created the android version of her to be there for the children.

Less love, more bitterness and alienation (hyuk hyuk). Should be a fun group. 

-Rasix
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #48 on: September 16, 2020, 10:38:45 PM

Not to mention the fact that he viewed all his "children" as failures and clearly needed to adjust their upbringing to be much harsher.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 24, 2020, 02:54:43 PM

Decided to take a break from watching anime (finished The Dragon Prince S3, now to wait for more!) and started watching this last night.  Only one episode so far but that was a pretty damn good one for someone who's not read the comics.  Feels like a nice, dysfunctional family, all come together for a funeral, and it feels real with how the siblings all get along.

That dance scene was perfect though!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #50 on: October 17, 2020, 10:03:33 PM

I finally watched both seasons of this and I loved it. There were some uneven parts but overall, I really dug it. Then I read the comics and...

Wow. The TV show is like someone was told a plot synopsis of the comic, took those really broad strokes and fleshed it out. I actually prefer it, though there is something charming about the way over the top pulpiness of the comic. But really, they are just two entirely separate stories that share some commonalities.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #51 on: November 11, 2020, 10:17:54 PM

Season 3 confirmed (not a surprise, they signed to pay for two more after the first).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/umbrella-academy-renewed-for-season-3-at-netflix

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 14, 2021, 10:10:32 AM

Took me longer than planned but I finished S2 this past weekend and now I have to wait for S3 to see how they fix the timeline.  I really did enjoy S2 quite a bit, it felt like a slice of life show that brought everything together at the end and yet...  Do we know if Pogo is still around in the new timeline?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 29, 2022, 04:17:31 PM

So, this is back.

Still great.

Hopefully it will get a season 4, as I quite liked the setup for it.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #54 on: June 30, 2022, 07:41:36 AM

Agreed, this was a pretty strong season.  I find the decision-making of a few of the characters to be absolutely infuriating, but in a way that makes the story more interesting.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #55 on: June 30, 2022, 07:47:23 AM

The only times I found myself getting really annoyed at the show were when Five had interesting information and declined to use it to move the plot forward.  Well that and to a lesser extent every scene in which Allison is seething with rage and Viktor is mopey, which was way more scenes than that whole thing needed.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 30, 2022, 10:35:21 AM

Agreed, this was a pretty strong season.  I find the decision-making of a few of the characters to be absolutely infuriating, but in a way that makes the story more interesting.

Normally I intensely dislike plot driven by failure to communicate, but they just skirt inside the line.

If I were to criticise the season at all, I'd say the ending doesn't quite live up to the way they imply there is some some super clever mystery to reveal.

Just on Alison and Viktor, sure maybe you could cut it down a little, but I'm not sure I can think of superhero or other fantasy IP that handled anger and guilt as well as they did.

Watching this has made me want to go rewatch the prior seasons and figure out if the character stuff was really that good previously.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 10:40:19 AM by eldaec »

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 30, 2022, 06:04:35 PM

I thought it was fantastic.  Allison's anger was really well done, IMO, especially building off what had happened to her in S2.  They did the Vanya -> Viktor transition very well and it just became a non-thing to deal with.  I was a bit disappointed that the Sparrows went out as quickly as some of them did, and the Luther/Sloane relationship was on fast forward x infinity. But it still worked so there's that.  Kind of wonder why we ended up with asshole Ben at the end instead of their Ben, but with that credits scene, I'm wondering if the reasons the timelines have all gone wrong is because their Ben died.

Anyways, can't wait to see if there's an S4.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 01, 2022, 02:32:58 AM

I think the Ben resolution is a s4 thing.

We now know uBen died in the Jennifer incident, and sBen is obsessed with her  per the pictures in his room.

I would guess uBen died saving Jennifer and sBen is an asshole because he didn't.

But in the new reality it seems likely Jennifer is alive again. Setting up some level of sBen redemption.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 25, 2022, 08:53:52 AM

Renewed for a final season.

I was starting to get a little nervous given the way Netflix have been lately.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #60 on: August 25, 2022, 10:03:21 AM

In a way I am glad this coming season is the finale since this is getting stretched a bit thin, but the cliffhanger on season 3 left too many things to be answered.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 26, 2022, 04:37:31 AM

I'm glad this is getting a final season and that it has been labeled so well in advance so they can end it properly instead of going for some cliffhanger.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Umbrella Academy (Netflix)  
Jump to: