Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Return of the Obra Dinn - Lucas Pope - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Obra Dinn - Lucas Pope - PC  (Read 4264 times)
pxib
Terracotta Army

on: December 22, 2018, 06:02:55 PM

The man behind Paper's Please apparently spent four years with the Unity Engine and has produced a game about being a magic insurance investigator for the East India Company. The Obra Dinn never made its cape rendezvous on a trip around Africa to the orient in 1804. In 1807 it shows up off the coast of England, crew missing or dead. You're put on board with a pocketwatch that lets you see and explore the last moment of a corpse's death and using dialogue, a diagram of the ship, a crew/passenger manifest, and a lot of deductive reasoning you've got to figure out who each of the sixty souls on board is, and how they died.

It's a delightful challenge and took me about six and a half hours over several nights, and a single page of notes. Most of the necessary note-keeping is made easy by the game's interface. Warning: The game makes it possible, though tedious, to figure certain things out by guessing. I recommend against it. There are clues available to decipher exactly who every single individual is. When the tutorial text talks about "process of elimination" it means there will be one person left within a particular category (and I'm being purposefully vague) and this happens several times. You do not need to guess between two or three possibilities.

If you can't figure out who somebody is yet, try to find another corpse, or go back to a previous one. Do things the hard way. Enjoy it. That's the whole game.

I'll also warn you that the graphics are... experimental. They look better in motion and I was less bothered by the game than I was by screenshots and trailers.

Anyway: Paper's, Please made me feel like a Soviet bureaucrat, and I loved it. Obra Dinn made me feel like a detective, and I loved it. Other than that the games have nothing in common. Take that as you will.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 06:26:50 PM

The graphics are the best part! Well not the best part, but beautiful for sure.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 06:38:03 PM

Do you need to pay a lot of attention to audio clues? My wife and kids are often watching shows while I'm gaming so things are usually muted; I'm not sure if that will be a problem.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 07:12:04 PM

Do you need to pay a lot of attention to audio clues? My wife and kids are often watching shows while I'm gaming so things are usually muted; I'm not sure if that will be a problem.
There are some additional hints there, but not ones I noticed until after the fact. They're unnecessary. Everything important is subtitled.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Return of the Obra Dinn - Lucas Pope - PC  
Jump to: