Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:01:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: What Can You Never Like? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Can You Never Like?  (Read 6212 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: November 06, 2018, 04:39:12 PM

So, with games, what's impossible for you to like?

For me, it's sidescrollers and RTS. I just can't. I've played both where I fully acknowledge the skill and artistry of the designers, where I agree the experience is quality, and I just cannot like them regardless. There's something in me that hates both formats/genres.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 04:52:45 PM

I don't like sidescrollers or most other "retro" type games.  I also am unable to play anything that requires aiming with a controller.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 09:01:17 PM

I can't do Sims anymore. They went too autistic for me. I prefer my Sims by like, about 30% autistic. The big fancy shit now is like 90%. And I just can't.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 09:04:08 PM

I could never get into Minecraft. I just don't really have that much imagination, and don't really like creating things that much. I've played Terraria and enjoyed it but that game actually gives you goals. I'm sure there's a heap of Minecraft mods that could give me the same experience, but I don't feel like going through the work to search for them. I just don't do well with open world stuff in general, at least the types that just give you a gun and say "do whatever you want." Don't really care for the battle royale games either.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 11:46:07 PM

I get nothing from platform games.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 01:03:39 AM

RTS, pretty much. I tried so much to like the genre (spent many hours playing Dune 2 back in the day), but it just never clicked. Multitasking and APM are unfair to some, and whatnot.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 01:52:23 AM

Anything strongly sandbox. I already have one world I drift around aimlessly in with no real sense of purpose or consistent narrative.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 02:40:22 AM

RTS, Sport sims, Racing, I'm pretty much over puzzle games now too, as well as side-scrolling/platformy things.  As much as I want to like them, I can't do anymore diablo style aRPG's now either.

It's really easier to list the few genre's I still care about now, where as a kid I would play anything.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 04:01:23 AM

MOBA's and games like Overwatch. Guess I like character development more than disposability.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 05:02:16 AM

FPS-shooters on console. I'm really bad at aiming with a controller (not that I'm great with kb+m).
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 05:19:38 AM

Multiplayer Online games. Despite the obvious (people suck, strangers doubly so), the feeling I can't decide for myself when or for how long I have to play to fulfill my commitment soured the fun for me (thanks forced grouping in Everquest and level disparities in WoW).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 05:45:58 AM

Platformers, I love Terraria so much but can't play it anymore because of the platforming design. RTS, just meh. I'll also toss my hat into the 'shooters on console' ring, just a completely subpar experience.

Anything that forces me to spend time playing with random strangers can get bent.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 05:47:00 AM

RTS, point-n-click, visual novel types. Never really found the fun in them.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 06:53:08 AM

Shooters, RTS (are they still a thing?) and these survival games where you build stuff. My younger stuff would have loved the ConanExiles and other games. Not now.

I find myself playing a lot of ARPGs these days over the last few years. Simple, easy and I don't have to play with other people. My play time is so limited now.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 08:02:16 AM

If I can get a hang of the controller then platformers are ok. I don’t like shooters anymore, never liked sports, and Minecraft just bores me to death. RTS are another thing that I played to death (Dune 2) but have zero desire to sit down and learn.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 08:42:38 AM

TPS, 4X, stealth games,. survival gankboxes.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 09:35:25 AM

Platformers and sidescrollers, puzzle games (except for things like Portal), anything Diablo/ARPG-like is just boring to me. I try to like sandbox world type games but for the most part, if I don't have a focused direction or someone to play with, I tend to lose interest really quickly.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 09:44:07 AM

I sort of wish we could modify this where people have to also add in the particular genre’s they love in contrast to what they don’t.

I honestly can’t pin anything down for myself.  I play games of every type, some more than others, but can get deeply into games of every genre if its good.  The only one I could sort of add is ‘sports games’.  But in all honesty thats probably because I’ve played almost zero of them, and if I played some of the games in sports I cared about and have done fantasy leagues on (such as baseball) I’d probably get addicted to those also.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 10:29:22 AM

Classic RPG's (i.e, not ARPG's or SRPG's). I have fond memories of Final Fantasy games from childhood but I don't think I could sit through any of the mainline series today. I don't want to stop playing at random intervals to read a story. Or maybe I do, in which case I'll keep a book by my computer and read it in between sessions of a game with good mechanics.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 10:40:21 AM

Anything that's forced multiplayer is basically out for me; MMOs aren't bad because I can play them mostly by myself, and block out time away from the family if I want to do a group activity. Games with long cutscenes also cause me to lose interest; I want to be playing, not watching a goddamn movie. Unlike ezrast, I don't mind reading long text bits because I can button mash through them if I get bored. Non-mobile console games are dead to me as well; if it's not on PC, Switch, or Vita/3DS I'm probably not going to play it (Persona 5, I'm looking at you collecting dust on top of my PS4).

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 11:30:35 AM

Although there are exceptions in each category, here is my list.

1) Sidescrolling platformers. Yeah, just can't be that oldschool anymore.

2) RTS, 4X, etc. I want to want to like these, and sometimes I try, but apparently I am terrible at them and can only succeed by setting easy mode (really looking at you here Stellaris).

3) Diablo style. Sorry. Please don't ban me from the internet. I could never get into this whole genre.

4) Sports games.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 11:44:01 AM

Anything with jumping puzzles in it.

4x strategy (which I want to like)

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 12:09:05 PM

3) Diablo style. Sorry. Please don't ban me from the internet. I could never get into this whole genre.

if you're not going to do anything with your life, why live  ACK!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 12:16:20 PM

Oh I'd like to add, driving games. I just cannot transition well. I love driving real cars, but on console or PC, I just can't deal.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 12:29:11 PM

RTS and sidescrollers for sure. Even though my reflexes are gone to shit, I still enjoy a good FPS, and love 4X, strategy, and RPGs. Anything other than sports or driving on a console makes me stabby. Fuck thumb aiming.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 01:31:37 PM

"visual novel types" are these the anime social simulator/choose your own adventure for pedophiles and 11 year old girls games, if so this is my #1 unplayable game type for sure.

Aren't Starcraft and Warcraft RTS games?  Seems 2 of my top 10 games are the most "unable to like" category on this thread.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:33:38 PM by Salamok »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 03:24:43 PM

Roguelikes.

JRPGs with catgirls.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 11:34:29 PM

Rhythm games (I have none)

Console shooters (Halo, Gears, etc)

-Rasix
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 04:56:54 AM

I don't like shooters. Even less when they have a strong multiplayer focus. I can tolerate them but I'll eventually get super bored playing them. I never got how people could play competitive multiplayer on the same map for hours and hours. I was just always completely bored after fifteen minutes.

Even the new Doom got super boring for me once the novelty of the glory kills wore off. I don't think its the repetitiveness because I can easily play Diablo-clones for months and they are basically "click on enemies until they die" style games. There's someting about 3rd or 1st person shooters though that just bores me to tears.

I also developed a new dislike and its the "game that is aimed entirely at Twitch streamers" genre. The sort of game that has insane challenges and lots of things that are fun to watch on stream if they are being done by a professional gamer but less so if you're playing by yourself for fun and don't need to incentivize your audience to spend another 50 dollars on bits.

This is slowly ruining a lot of new and especially indie games that refocus their game development to pander to streamers in an effort to try and capture their audience or use Twitch as an advertisement opportunity.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 06:20:33 AM

Hmm, I think I also have to toss shooters into the pile here. And JRPG. And anything nostalgic for 90s kids.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 07:40:13 AM

I'm finding that single-player "cinematic" first-person shooters bore me really quickly these days, even good ones. Spec Ops: The Line was a good FPS, and I managed to make it through but after probably 4-5 hours, I'm just like "can we just FINISH this story already" because the scripted events feel so scripted and the AI is mostly easy to beat. The game's challenges usually devolve into bullet sponge bosses, chokepoints or endlessly spawning baddies until I hit the right script trigger. Battlefield 4's single-player was especially boring, and I only went through it to get unlocks for the multiplayer. I can play hundreds of hours of Battlefield 4 multiplayer but the singleplayer just gets boring real quick.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 10:34:58 AM

The Souls series.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 02:04:01 PM

The Souls series.

Well, its been nice knowing you. awesome, for real
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 02:08:21 PM

JRPG are pretty nearly in this category for me, too. But an occasional one breaks through, whereas RTS and sidescrollers just never ever do.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #34 on: November 09, 2018, 12:28:40 AM

1. Survival Games. If I had any aptitude for building shit I'd be fucking around with AutoCAD.
2. Games that have cut scenes that run from anywhere between 5 minutes in length to "long enough to need a save point in the middle". This is pretty much the Kojima rule.
3. Most modern sports games. Back in the NES days you only needed the vaguest understanding of the sport to play a game based on said sport. I don't have the time to learn the actual rules of soccer in order to play the FIFA games.
4. Hardcore racing sims. I'll take arcade stuff any day. Spent maybe 5 minutes with a Gran Turismo game once.
5. MOBA's or any other highly competitive online-only game where I'm just going to drag down a team unless I dedicate a not-insignificant portion of my life to getting good at it.
6. Dating Sims. I can't enjoy them on any level, ironic or otherwise. I don't care how wacky some of them are, I find them less than half as charming as the people who made them.
7. Mobile games. Sorry Blizzard.
8. Euro-jank. I know the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, and the first couple Witchers, and some of the Gothic games are good games if you can look past how bad they are. I just don't have the power to do that. I have a problem seeing stuff in Magic Eye pictures also so maybe I'm just failing my perception rolls.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: What Can You Never Like?  
Jump to: