Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:43:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 130627 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #840 on: March 24, 2023, 08:45:26 AM

I"I'm a Rhodesian born and bred/Strong as an ox and thick in the head".

Since we're nerding out here, I'll point out that this is stolen from a common hauling chantey refrain, usually attributed to Liverpool since a lot of sailors were from there.  Various versions of "Bring 'Em Down" render it as:

I'm Liverpool born and bred,
Strong in the arm and thick in the head!

or:

In Liverpool I was bred,
Strong in the back and thick in the head.

I first heard it as the last verse in the song "South Australia," which doesn't make sense being as the first verse starts "In South Australia I was born", but by the time the sails are set maybe everyone is too tired to care.

I'm Liverpool born and Liverpool bred
(Heave away!  Haul away!)
Long in the arm and thick in the head
(We're bound for South Australia!)

Other sources going back a couple of centuries attribute similar sayings to other parts of northern England (e.g. Yorkshire).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: March 24, 2023, 04:51:37 PM

This Mandalorian training is ridiculous. Around 30 people just standing around doing random things, most of which look pretty useless. Some dudes are shooting at the water because "it looks cool", because they sure as fuck weren't doing target practice. Some are riding their jetpacks. Kids wrestling with barely any supervision, and definitely no training or teaching of any sort. Dude in the back going "check out my flamethrower!". This isn't bootcamp, its a redneck BBQ.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #842 on: March 24, 2023, 10:22:31 PM

Remember, the most elite mystical warriors in the galaxy trained like this:

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #843 on: March 24, 2023, 10:40:07 PM

That might be why we just saw four of them in Grogu's flashback get gunned down by a handful of Clone Troopers.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: March 25, 2023, 05:21:53 AM

Star wars childcare arrangements are consistently 50% neglect 50% abusive.

Everyone should come out of that mess about as well balanced as Anakin and Kylo

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: March 25, 2023, 09:57:16 AM

The one thing you could say about Star Wars I think is that it's actually pretty consistent on the world-building. Lots of stupid people doing stupid things, lots of warrior people with extraordinary capabilities who have all the strategic and tactical insight of a meth user on a bender, lots of people who struggle to connect various dots right in front of them.

Andor has felt like the only thing that had human complexity and some fairly smart people on both sides squaring off against each other, albeit with various ideological blinders understandably hampering them.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: March 29, 2023, 11:39:49 AM

I went from "holy shit it's Zeb!" to "holy shit it's Tim Meadows!" in like five seconds. You don't want no part of this Mando!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 03:18:41 PM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #847 on: March 29, 2023, 07:22:39 PM

The Foundling episode was tiresome garbage, and that training scene was just awful as Threash pointed out. The only interesting part about that episode was Grogu, everything else was just cliched. However, the pirate attack episode I liked much better, even though it was over way too quickly. Felt more like an A-Team episode. I actually liked the bits with Bo Khitan and the Armorer even though again, the pacing is trash. It might have been better if we hadn't spent a whole episode on the doctor just to setup pageboy haircut Moff Gideon plant.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: March 30, 2023, 06:19:23 AM

The Foundling episode was tiresome garbage, and that training scene was just awful as Threash pointed out. The only interesting part about that episode was Grogu, everything else was just cliched. However, the pirate attack episode I liked much better, even though it was over way too quickly. Felt more like an A-Team episode. I actually liked the bits with Bo Khitan and the Armorer even though again, the pacing is trash. It might have been better if we hadn't spent a whole episode on the doctor just to setup pageboy haircut Moff Gideon plant.

I feel like the Mandalorian has backslid as a character this season. Maybe I misread things but it felt like part of his arc was Grogu making him see there are things that are more important than silly helmet rules and stuff.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #849 on: March 30, 2023, 06:23:56 AM

I was thinking about why I'm frustrated that they're bringing Moff Gideon back and running around with all the same recurring characters and it struck me that this is a cartoon.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: March 30, 2023, 08:18:59 AM

I think they had fully intended to move on from Grogu and into a "reclamation of Mandalore" plot, but they realized that a) he is the cash cow for the show and b) they just dropped him off at another jedi children slaughter.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: March 30, 2023, 02:01:06 PM

I also thought "oh good, this season will be Mandalorian Dad realizing that loving his little Yoda means leaving his weird religious cult" and instead it's, I dunno, anything but that. It feels like a colossal stalling action from people who don't want to fuck with the merch.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #852 on: March 30, 2023, 06:11:42 PM

Barely made it thru the second episode. So many wtf dumb moments and then the third episode introing a resurrected storyline and spending most of the episode performing CPR on it. ugh...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: March 31, 2023, 03:52:32 PM

I've watched the first couple of episodes too without much enthusiasm. Is it time to stop watching it yet?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #854 on: March 31, 2023, 05:06:59 PM

There's only 3 episodes left in the season, so probably one of those where if it hasn't gotten better by then, you can let it end without feeling like you are missing something.

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: March 31, 2023, 09:58:27 PM

The helmets on the Mandalorian doofus squad look like they came from Spirit Halloween.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #856 on: March 31, 2023, 10:47:13 PM

I get from a merchandising standpoint why they would bring Grogu back into the series, but now that the overall story has mostly shifted away from Mando trying to find a Jedi to take him and onto this uniting the Mandalorians stuff, Grogu has become almost a total non-entity. He had his dart combat thing, and flew off to get help from Bo to rescue Mando, but aside from that he's mostly just a prop now which really isn't playing to the show's strength.

Also it's a good thing they let Bo take off her helmet again, because it's hard enough having a show where the one of the leads is in a helmet all the time and so he can't emote with facial expressions. Adding a supporting cast of helmet-clad Mandalorians wasn't really helping in that regard.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #857 on: April 01, 2023, 09:04:38 AM

The pacing just feels so off this season. Things like the pirate invasion being mostly solved in like 30 minutes really undercut any significant feeling of threat. While the scientist's story on Coruscant wasn't boring, and I realize it has something to do with the return of Moff Gideon, it felt overly long for whatever they were trying to get out of it. All in all, it's felt like most of the story has been about everyone but Mando and Grogu, and those characters aren't as interesting.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: April 01, 2023, 01:34:42 PM

Wasn't the whole thing with Moff Gideon that he was acting on some other unseen Big Bad's orders to bring him Grogu for some kind of experiments? Which is why he tried to suicide when Luke was kicking down the doors? It feels like somebody said "oh yeah we gotta do that right". The season feels like an ADHD person's to-do list. "Darksaber Mandalore mythosaur, check", "Bring back bounty hunter droid everybody like him, check", "More This is the Way stuff with the Forge and all that, check", "Moff Gideon plotline, check", "Hey people like Andor shout-out to that too, check".
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: April 01, 2023, 02:18:37 PM

Wasn't the whole thing with Moff Gideon that he was acting on some other unseen Big Bad's orders to bring him Grogu for some kind of experiments? Which is why he tried to suicide when Luke was kicking down the doors? It feels like somebody said "oh yeah we gotta do that right". The season feels like an ADHD person's to-do list. "Darksaber Mandalore mythosaur, check", "Bring back bounty hunter droid everybody like him, check", "More This is the Way stuff with the Forge and all that, check", "Moff Gideon plotline, check", "Hey people like Andor shout-out to that too, check".

Well yeah, the emperor. But we are not gonna see him in this.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: April 01, 2023, 05:20:47 PM

I sort of thought it might be not-quite-Palpatine. Like maybe Snoke or Thrawn or something like that. But SW lore is kind of fucked now because of the sequels.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: April 03, 2023, 05:44:34 AM

Feloni feels like it's his job trying to fill in bad Star Wars lore with his own bullshit.

That's all the Clone Wars did. Fill in the garbage storyline of the prequels.

Then he tried to fill in more bullshit with Rebels to give Asohka something do.

Now he's trying to fill in the bullshit between the OT and the awful story of the sequel trilogy.

Instead of really good stories, he's basically backfilling the First Order origins in Mando. He's doing something no one is asking for. Star Wars continues to be fucked.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: April 03, 2023, 08:31:49 AM

Yeah. They should have stayed a million miles away from First Order and Jedi stories in terms of lore completion/explanation. Maybe even Mandalorians as such. It really should be Lone Wolf and Cub: Djarin takes his helmet off except when he's fighting and is a heretic and loner; Grogu rejects the Jedi because he's attached to Djarin. So they wander the galaxy making money and trying to avoid entanglements--they don't want to work for the Republic, for the remnants of the Empire, for the Mandalorians, for the Hutts, for the Witches of Dathomir, nobody. The only people they get on with are other loners and wanderers.

That's a sturdy template for the show; it's basically season 1-2. But they just have lost the map at this point.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #863 on: April 03, 2023, 10:00:58 AM

I'm almost disappointed that they're going to do another season, because that feels like a really good place to wrap up the whole thing.

My instincts were right, alas.

(edit) I'm still watching, mind you, but years from now when I decide it's time for a Mandalorian rewatch, I'm gonna stop at the end of season 1.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #864 on: April 06, 2023, 08:33:54 AM

That all felt like a mess, and the bit with the Mandalorians and the Darksaber at the end felt really rushed. Also that probably should have been resolved back in the episode where Bo rescued Mando. Grogu continues to get shuffled off to the side during the episode, continuing to make it feel like the season was at least partly written before the decision to bring him back was made.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #865 on: April 06, 2023, 09:24:31 AM

Yeah, they were clearly hoping for an “aha!  look how clever Mando is in lawyering this” moment, but it fell flat because we already spotted that technicality back when it happened.  And there’s no in-character reason for Mando to wait until that moment to hand over the saber, since we already established that he doesn’t want it.  It’s not like it makes Bo’s claim stronger, if anything doing the handoff at a crucial moment like that makes it sound like it was a lie he came up with on the spot.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #866 on: April 06, 2023, 09:38:14 AM

Yep, really feels like maybe the writers could have come up with a situation where Bo could have won the Darksaber and somebody was actually present to witness it. But hey, I guess if the Armorer can take Bo's word about the Mythosaur thing, these Mandalorians can just take her and Mando's word about the Darksaber stuff.

Also Christopher Lloyd's character fits in with SW well enough, but Jack Black and Lizzo? That felt like Star Wars Holiday Special kind of casting. And how much setup did we need for why only Bo and Mando could help with the droid problem? They can't have an army because Jack Black is ex-Imperial, but they can hire the Mandalorian mercs for protection, but they can't have the mercs come in and take care of the droids, but Bo and Mando can for reasons. A mess.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: April 06, 2023, 11:01:27 AM

Also Christopher Lloyd's character fits in with SW well enough, but Jack Black and Lizzo? That felt like Star Wars Holiday Special kind of casting.

No more than Amy Sedaris imo. Or Tim Meadows. I was going to add Bill Burr to the list but he is a legit good actor.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #868 on: April 06, 2023, 11:29:14 AM

Tim Meadows as a New Republic requisitions officer is fine. The character didn't need to be played by Tim Meadows but he plays the role straight. Amy Sedaris' character is a little kooky, but as a backwater mechanic, it works. Jack Black and Lizzo just didn't even feel like they were really trying to play characters.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: April 06, 2023, 12:11:18 PM

Just feels like you could cast Jack Black as a Gamorrean--spray paint him green and duct-tape some walrus tusks to his chin.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: April 06, 2023, 01:00:51 PM

I didn't find the cameos that distracting, maybe its because I don't know that this Lizzo woman is supposed to be a celebrity. For me she was just a bad actress.

I found this episode hilarious. Sure the Dark Saber loophole was a bit annoying because it was too telegraphed to be a surprise and they played it like it should be one, but I loved the rest of it. It felt like a life action Clone Wars episode.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: April 06, 2023, 01:07:05 PM

Jack Black was the least Jack Blacky he's ever been, I thought he did fine... but yeah, Lizzo wasn't great. I get the feeling she demanded to hold the baby, I know I would have.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #872 on: April 06, 2023, 01:11:49 PM

Lizzo didn't really bring much in the way of acting chops, she had a few good moments, but overall it felt very 'popular culture cameo'. Black, otoh, was fucking amazing. I would not be mad for him to become a recurring role, the less grim side of post-Imperial culture. Worth it for the magnificent beard if nothing else.

I wish the show would run at least 60 minutes, I feel like it covered a decent amount of ground but the droid investigation felt rushed and could've been the entire episode. Each component of it was pretty rushed. I was hoping for a tie-in to L7 at the droid bar, too.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #873 on: April 06, 2023, 01:23:02 PM

No more than Amy Sedaris imo. Or Tim Meadows. I was going to add Bill Burr to the list but he is a legit good actor.

Bill Burr surprised the hell out of me in this series. I was not expecting him to have depth in his character.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: April 06, 2023, 01:34:24 PM

Bill Burr surprised the hell out of me in this series. I was not expecting him to have depth in his character.

You should see him in Breaking Bad. My favorite part about this episode was that it was 100% structured like a buddy cop episode.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 01:57:05 PM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian  
Jump to: