Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:27:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 130630 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #735 on: December 26, 2020, 03:40:35 AM

Yeah but considering he is more than happy to yield you'd think that a pragmatic leader would be willing to take the win there. It's not a hard thing to rationalise and comes across as out of character considering how down she was on Din's own moral code. It might set the stage for some good introspection 'what is an important moral principle and what is dumb tradition' style character arc for the next season though.

To put it in real world terms, it's like a Catholic saying it is silly for a woman to wear a Burka while not at all seeing the problem with saying birth control is immoral.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #736 on: February 10, 2021, 07:06:03 PM

Imagine having a plum role earning Disney money with a likely spinoff centered on you and throwing it all away just so you can POST.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #737 on: February 10, 2021, 08:47:47 PM

YUP.

Though people are trying to get The 100's Marie Avgeropolous to replace her. And though she's got her own baggage, I'd back that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #738 on: February 10, 2021, 09:57:37 PM

On the one hand kinda bummed, on the other hand perfectly happy seeing any MAGA get their due.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: February 11, 2021, 04:54:33 AM

Not sure there is any need for a direct replacement.

I assume they want to do more Mandalore stuff next year and if he doesn't return to the Carl Weathers planet they don't really need her.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: February 11, 2021, 05:11:21 AM

Ya. You wouldn't believe the amount of people you don't run into over and over again when you travel around a galaxy.

Hic sunt dracones.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #741 on: February 11, 2021, 06:10:01 AM

Imagine having a plum role earning Disney money with a likely spinoff centered on you and throwing it all away just so you can POST.

she was set for life, what a dummy.

Must've been a real pain in the ass to deal with in other aspects too.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #742 on: February 11, 2021, 06:19:24 AM

Imagine talking about something without saying what it is.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: February 11, 2021, 06:37:59 AM

Gina Carano got fired for tweeting, basically, that cancel culture and vilification of Trump supporters was directly analagous to the dehumanisation of Jews in Nazi Germany prior to imprisonment and the Holocaust.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #744 on: February 11, 2021, 06:38:34 AM

It's Gina Carano being a racist douchenozzle and a huge "Republicans are victims of harrasment" mentality. Fuck her.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #745 on: February 11, 2021, 06:49:49 AM

I imagine she thought she was untouchable at this point.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #746 on: February 11, 2021, 07:11:37 AM

It must have been the Ambien.  why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: February 11, 2021, 07:31:57 AM

Ah, that sucks. Loved her in that role, but fuck that noise.

Also, not a bad idea to round up these terrorist sympathizers and put them in a camp, though.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #748 on: February 11, 2021, 08:59:56 AM

What happened, from what I've read, was that back in November she tweeted a bunch of conspiracy theories about COVID-19 and mail-in ballot election fraud which prompted Disney to cancel an announcement of her starring in her own Mandalorian-spinoff show. Presumably at this point she was not under contract with Disney for anything, though possibly they may have still been negotiating a contract for her to reappear in The Mandalorian. Then she tweeted her recent stuff and Disney / Lucasfilm was so appalled that they felt it necessary to clarify she was no longer employeed by them.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/the-mandalorian-star-gina-carano-fired-amid-social-media-controversy
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: February 11, 2021, 09:18:55 AM

My guess is that if you can't shut your fucking trap on Twitter (I mean, most of it was dumb retweeting of shitty right-wing meme garbage) while you're making some serious bucks and potentially becoming a fan favorite, you're probably an asshole on set too. Pablo Pascal's sister is trans and he's been very loving and supportive about it, which made Carano back down from one of her dumb retweets earlier. I'm sure he and other actors they've had on the show have really limited tolerance for being yelled at by a compulsive MAGA.

But it's also about the difference between post-Jan.6th and before--corporate America generally is just not fucking around about cutting ties to anything or anybody that was blathering on about election fraud etc etc. now, and that will likely be even more the case after the Senate trial.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: February 11, 2021, 09:26:01 AM

Imagine talking about something without saying what it is.

Insert Let Me Google That For You.gif.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: February 11, 2021, 10:22:41 AM

A scene in episode three of next season of The Mandalorian:

BO-KATAN: Well, maybe call some of your friends to help, like that Cara Dune person.

DIN DJARIN: She got stabbed to death by a Gungan prostitute in some dive bar on Canto Bight a couple of months ago.

BO-KATAN: Oh well. How about Luke Skywalker?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: February 11, 2021, 10:41:36 AM

Well, the exit of Alex Kamal in the Expanse was quite beautifully done,  but they won't have already filmed material in this case. Maybe they should have a "This is your exit scene if you turn out to be a serial rapist of insane terrorist supporter" filmed for every actor in the future. You never know what crazy shits they turn out to be.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: February 11, 2021, 11:00:04 AM

In this case, maybe they should recast her with Daniel Harnsberger and say that the character of Cara Dune is trans and is now known as Car Dune.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #754 on: February 12, 2021, 05:10:51 PM

Don Cheadle. No one mentions the change in appearance and in a quiet moment, he turns to the camera and says, "Yeah, so what?" and no one ever says anything again.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #755 on: February 12, 2021, 05:19:58 PM

Look, it's me, I'm here, deal with it, let's move on.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #756 on: February 12, 2021, 09:24:14 PM

Lucy Lawless seems to be a fan favorite replacement and I could get behind it easily. Also, she is super progressive.

Btw, you don't need to worry about Gina's future. She made an announcement that she gets to start in and produce her own movie which has been a dream of hers! Ben Shapiro is making it! So getting fired by Disney was the best thing that ever happened to her!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #757 on: February 13, 2021, 12:27:14 AM

If Shapiro's screen writing is anything like his novel writing we are in a for bargain bin version of a budget Tom Clancy done by Hallmark level movie (Yes that's right, two levels ripped off from a mediocre source).

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #758 on: February 13, 2021, 02:58:13 AM

Well, the exit of Alex Kamal in the Expanse was quite beautifully done,  but they won't have already filmed material in this case. Maybe they should have a "This is your exit scene if you turn out to be a serial rapist of insane terrorist supporter" filmed for every actor in the future. You never know what crazy shits they turn out to be.
I like this idea.  When ever any new actor is hired onto a Star Wars series/film, the first thing they do is film a scene of them being eaten by a Sarlacc.  Then just casually remind them they have that ready to go every now and again.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #759 on: February 13, 2021, 02:56:26 PM

No need. They could easily do it after the fact with a Fake Shemp.

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #760 on: February 13, 2021, 05:37:45 PM

If Shapiro's screen writing is anything like his novel writing we are in a for bargain bin version of a budget Tom Clancy done by Hallmark level movie (Yes that's right, two levels ripped off from a mediocre source).

I'm sure the writing will be crisp with an unusually dry wit.  why so serious?

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #761 on: February 16, 2021, 11:07:15 AM

If you want to laugh, cry, and cringe at the same time, Behind the Bastards has episodes where they read his book and dunk on it. It is so bad. Tom Clancy + Hallmark is a good description, but keep in mind it's scrambled together with Ben Shapiro's insecurity and brain rot.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #762 on: February 16, 2021, 12:51:51 PM

I cannot tell you how insane it drives me when people on the right claim he's a philosopher or a deep thinker.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #763 on: February 16, 2021, 06:50:54 PM

I cannot tell you how insane it drives me when people on the right claim he's a philosopher or a deep thinker.

I saw a Youtube video by this guy who supposedly analyzes how people use language and such in conversations (spoiler: He's trying to sell his books on getting girls) but one of his videos was something like "How Ben Shapiro wins his debates." I never laughed so hard in my life.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #764 on: February 19, 2021, 04:36:22 AM

The bar is really, really low.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #765 on: September 10, 2022, 08:01:40 PM

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #766 on: September 11, 2022, 03:45:01 AM

I enjoyed a lot of this but one major thing made me go "so, they're undoing that major plot point already huh?" I don't really blame them but had hoped they'd find all new stuff for Mando to do instead of resetting things back to the status quo.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #767 on: September 11, 2022, 04:05:49 AM

I'm not sure which point you mean.

But I'm happy they seem to be doubling down on trying to reconcile the religious nut job Mandalorians with everything we know about Mandalorians and Mandalore from before the show.

I don't really want to watch more pottering around with monsters of the week, and I don't care about Gustavo Fring. They've been fun. But at this point I want more Death Watch vs Clan Kryze, and tin foil Boba Fett knocking heads together and telling people to stop being dicks.

His reaction to discovering he had 'won' the dark sabre at the end of the last one had exactly the right energy.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #768 on: September 11, 2022, 07:30:15 AM

I thought the monster-of-the-week stuff in season 1 was where the show was at its strongest, personally.  Having the show be mostly about things we hadn't seen before a hundred times (Tattooine, lightsabers, sassy droids) made it feel fresh.  I get the feeling that well has mostly run dry, though.  Alas.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #769 on: September 11, 2022, 08:21:36 AM

I liked the picaresque feeling, the wandering around, with trouble somewhere not far behind. That felt like the Western structure they plainly wanted to evoke; it also reminded me a lot (as it was plainly meant to) of Lone Wolf and Cub.

I wouldn't mind Mando ending up being the proverbial man without a country by the end of this--not liked by the cult, not liked by the people trying to rebuild Mandalore in some other image, not liked by the Alliance, not liked by the Imperial Remnant, not liked by Luke's new Jedi Academy, not liked by whatever Dark Side baddies are out there, not liked by the Guild, but also someone that they're all interested in and have to sometimes turn to as a potential ally. That works better if there's no grand arc, just a series of adventures where trouble is somewhere not far behind.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian  
Jump to: