Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:51:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 134199 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: November 16, 2020, 07:47:20 AM

This argument is stupid.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: November 16, 2020, 08:31:41 AM

I am sceptical about the 'people struggling with infertility are offended' bit.

It just didn't look or feel anything like fertility difficulties.

I'm not trying to say anyone's specific discomfort is invalid, my experience isn't theirs. I'm just saying I'm sceptical of people reporting that lots of other people were offended for that thing.

For some people I suspect it is really about not liking that a good character in star wars did a bad thing. It is Poe and Luke in last jedi all over again.

I can also understand the viewpoint that it wasn't necessary to do the same joke 4 times in the episode.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: November 16, 2020, 10:38:27 AM

Bull.  Literally everyone in the world has a story they can use similar to that.  Most of the best humor is based in some form of darkness, and the .001% of the population that actually can relate to the problem everyone is in an uproar over can stop trying to ruin the planet for the rest of us who are able to distinguish reality from pretend space frog fetus munching.
0.001% would be one out of 100,000.  Fertility issues challenge impact between 9 and 11% of individuals aged 15 to 44 in the US according to the CDC.  So, you're only off by roughly a factor of 10,000. 

As for the skepticism that this was the source of offense for many of the most offended - walk away from f13 for a bit and read the comments on some of the mainstream coverage.  There are people saying, "Just like eating chicken eggs", and there are people saying, "it is close to cannibalism". Most of them are approaching it without much concern.  And then there are the people speaking about how offended they are - and those people generally are focused on the "last chance to continue their line". 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: November 16, 2020, 12:13:28 PM

Is there some rule(law), that need's a name, where all Star Wars threads have to devolve into completely stupid arguments about stupid things? Holy shit. BY eating eggs was hilarious :D

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: November 16, 2020, 01:00:16 PM

Counselor Troi:
Stop this petty bickering, all of you! Especially you, Mother! [runs out of the dining room]

Lt. Cmdr. Data:
[polite tone] Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #425 on: November 16, 2020, 01:38:57 PM

Watch BY regurgitate up a bunch of tadpoles in a future episode just to troll all the hand-wringers why so serious?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: November 16, 2020, 01:41:24 PM

Is there some rule(law), that need's a name, where all Star Wars threads have to devolve into completely stupid arguments about stupid things? Holy shit. BY eating eggs was hilarious :D

The most important f13 rule is that star wars threads never stop.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #427 on: November 16, 2020, 03:04:12 PM

We had to do IVF and both thought the egg eating was hilarious.   In fact, the second BY laid eyes on them I said out loud "he's going to eat them."

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #428 on: November 16, 2020, 03:09:09 PM

Is there some rule(law), that need's a name, where all Star Wars threads have to devolve into completely stupid arguments about stupid things?

Midichlorian's Law.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #429 on: November 16, 2020, 09:58:05 PM

We're talking about Star Wars so the stupidity is kinda baked in.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: November 17, 2020, 04:21:43 AM

As for the skepticism that this was the source of offense for many of the most offended - walk away from f13 for a bit and read the comments on some of the mainstream coverage.  There are people saying, "Just like eating chicken eggs", and there are people saying, "it is close to cannibalism". Most of them are approaching it without much concern.  And then there are the people speaking about how offended they are - and those people generally are focused on the "last chance to continue their line".  

There are professionals for these people. I don't know why we let them get away with trying to force us to circumvent their particular defect instead of them trying to fix it themself.

It was clear from the first scene between Baby Yoda and the Tank of Eggs that it would go this way. Blaming other for the lack of self control to skip these episodes if that is your trigger is beyond egoistical.

Fucking pay for your psychiatrist already and stop bothering everybody else (meaning the people that are offended by this, not you personally)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: November 17, 2020, 04:40:42 AM

Exactly.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: November 17, 2020, 12:52:53 PM

Trump would be jealous of your lack of concern for others.  You are pieces of shit.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #433 on: November 17, 2020, 01:12:32 PM

What the actual fuck just happened here?  Head scratch

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #434 on: November 17, 2020, 01:57:35 PM

Don't tell anyone about Boba working for slavers yo.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: November 17, 2020, 02:25:48 PM

Well that took a sharp turn.

Luke killed a moon-sized space station of people. Damn!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: November 17, 2020, 05:07:51 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: November 17, 2020, 06:43:07 PM

Zigacktly.

Maybe Baby Yoda sensed that they were all Dark Force Using Frog People, eh? Like, he was just blowing up his very own Death Stars in utero! Little Boy Anakin killed spaceships full of Frog Charlie Chans and nobody got salty about that, right?
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: November 17, 2020, 10:17:50 PM

But have we heard what he thinks about sand yet?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: November 17, 2020, 10:20:27 PM

If those are the "last of the line" in the extinction sense the only way the line continues is incest.  Ohhhhh, I see.

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: November 17, 2020, 10:59:42 PM

Sorry guys, too busy holding a candlelight vigil for those poor stormtroopers who were blown out the airlock and could still yet be alive.  Something similar happens every year to roughly 9% of all Americans, I wish some of you would take it more seriously.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: November 18, 2020, 05:18:01 AM

"Sorry your mom had to stay a slave, Annie...I'm carrying a lot of debt right now and can't really find the spare change to free her from the, and did I mention, crippling slavery problem in the galaxy that we're not really going to bother doing anything about..."

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: November 18, 2020, 05:27:30 AM

Jedi are nothing but a bunch of child thieves. Only takes a small nudge in one direction to just start slaughtering them.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: November 18, 2020, 07:42:24 AM

Would baby Yoda have eaten the eggs if he'd been piloting a mecha and the eggs had been honeycrisp apples?

Ultimately I think the only way we'll be able to decide this is getting box office totals for the different episodes to see which was better.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: November 18, 2020, 07:58:11 AM

I am realizing that America's cruel insensitivity to disabling and fatal injuries caused by malfunctioning doorways showed in our general approval of the first episode of the first season. Where were the online debates then, eh?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #445 on: November 18, 2020, 08:26:14 AM

Would baby Yoda have eaten the eggs if he'd been piloting a mecha and the eggs had been honeycrisp apples?

Ultimately I think the only way we'll be able to decide this is getting box office totals for the different episodes to see which was better.

Did somebody say "twitch"?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: November 18, 2020, 09:51:01 AM

Did somebody say "twitch"?
Sorry, that's a registered trademark now. Pay the Bezos now.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: November 18, 2020, 10:40:57 AM

Fuck, there are a lot of ignorant, insensitive, heartless fuckheads here. 

The amazing lack of empathy shouldn't be shocking to me.  It really shouldn't. 

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: November 18, 2020, 10:44:24 AM

Thankfully we have you to be our guiding beacon of hope for mankind.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: November 18, 2020, 11:28:25 AM

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #450 on: November 18, 2020, 12:05:05 PM

Petition to change the forum's official logo from "Usefully Cynical Commentary" to "Amazing Lack of Empathy".
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: November 18, 2020, 01:35:52 PM

A forum is at steak.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #452 on: November 18, 2020, 02:06:50 PM

You barely even gave a shit yourself at first, you just said it was darker than you expected. I don't know if something caused you to become Champion of the Infertile like a week after the episode aired, or if it's because your pet plot twist theory didn't pan out. Either way, I never thought I'd say this but I liked you better when you were over at your wall of yarn trying to work out how the Inhumans TV show was going to connect to Infinity War.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: November 18, 2020, 02:10:48 PM

No, no, at this point in this miserable year, let me say that I really enjoy reading something that is just gloriously wrong-headed in a kind of nothing-held-back way. It's relaxing, like a warm bath.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: November 18, 2020, 02:53:21 PM

You barely even gave a shit yourself at first, you just said it was darker than you expected. ...
I'm pissed at the idiotic dumb fucks with no empathy.  The ones that say, "Go get therapy and shut up".  It is the RESPONSE to the episode, here and elsewhere, that is reminding me of what fuckheads so many people are. 

A huge number of people struggle with infertility.  They may spend their entire life's savings to try to bring their biological kids into the world, and then get nothing for all of their efforts.  They are financially devastated, guilty that they gave so much for nothing (when that money might have been used for an adopted child's college, etc...), and angry/devastated that something they took for granted - a fundamental piece of the life they always pictured - will never be theirs.  A lot of people looked at this episode and saw it as mocking (or just being ignorantly insensitive) to what so many people go through.  Some people struggle through infertility issues for over a decade.  For many, it is the single most painful thing they ever go through. 

After 9/11, Hollywood spent years avoiding anything that might be considered a reference to that day.  They digitally removed the Twin Towers from movies.  They changed storylines to avoid plane crashes or collapsing buildings.  There was a widespread understanding that you should avoid reminding people of that trauma. 

Far more people deal with infertility issues, and it isn't something that changes in one morning - it is a struggle that builds and dominates lives for a long time.  And - yes - comparing the trauma of 9/11 to the pain people suffer through with infertility issues is 100% appropriate.  Losing the family you learn you could never have can be as traumatic as losing someone you love. 

Making the loss of the eggs a punchline is a bad look for Disney.  However, saying people just need to get over it, need to shut and go to therapy, etc... just makes you a huge fucking insensitive asshole in ways that are far worse.  It puts your ass in the same fucking category as Trump and his idiots - unable to think about anyone but you and people that think like you. 

This is really basic human empathy shit.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian  
Jump to: