Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:57:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 132049 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: November 07, 2020, 06:58:31 AM

Hey, her line is on the verge of extinction for a reason.  Still, eating the young of a sentient race is darker than I expected.  I thought we'd get a reveal at the end of the episode, after all of the eggs in the container were gone, that he had not digeste them, ut instead was just keeping the last few safe inside of him.  Corny, and a bad choice, but I thought it more likely than eating a sentient offspring.

And Momma not noticing that eggs were missing?  Huh.

This was directed by Peyton Reed, and written by Favreau with credit to Lucas.  I feel like Reed had a stronger hand in the story than Favreau for those parts.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: November 07, 2020, 08:19:34 AM

I'm with Threash on this one. Just felt like bad writing to me. Can't really try to make us empathize with the frog lady afraid of her line dying out and than repeatedly playing it for laughs with scenes of the child eating the eggs. It would probably bother me even more but the whole episode was kinda crap really. Not much progressed with the overall story arc. Not much progressed with the characters. A more self-contained episode is fine, especially at this point in the season, but even then the plot can be summed us as Mando crashing on an ice planet and fighting some spider creatures. Probably the worst episode of the series to me so far.

I had the same exact thoughts when talking with a friend about it.

Terrible episode.
Nothing happened except his ship getting fucked up.
We have only 8 episodes and this was completely wasted.

If this was a 20+ episode per season show like XFiles this would have been an amazing monster of the week show. But it's not.

edit:
I get that this is an episodic show, but if you're not going to move the story arc forward then you need some kind of character development or introduce a new character or reconnect with an old one.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 08:22:09 AM by Draegan »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #352 on: November 07, 2020, 10:04:10 AM

Uh, this is clearly an episodic more than serial show so I never get that criticism.  The overall plot is really simple (take thing A to unknown point B) and just a tool to hang a bunch of weekly adventures on.

And if you have the future of your "line" then don't leave it just sitting around alone or take it for a walk in an unknown environment. Some species deserve extinction for being evolutionarily stupid.

Like I said, self-contained episodes are fine, although I think the first season had maybe 2 episodes that didn't advance the overall season arc or at least introduce some character who would be important later (maybe the Frog woman will be a recurring character but I doubt it). As a stand-alone there was just not much to this episode. Mando crashes, needs to repair his ship, fights off local spider creatures, gets rescued by New Republic or whatever fighter pilots, takes off in heavily damaged ship. Frog creature isn't particularly memorable. The spider-monster isn't very interesting. There's no twists, no interesting character moments. It's the equivalent of a random encounter in an rpg.

What did you like about the episode aside from it being another episode of The Mandalorian?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #353 on: November 07, 2020, 09:04:45 PM

What did you like about the episode aside from it being another episode of The Mandalorian?

I thought BY was hilarious and cute. The first ambush fight was cool with a funny resolution with the Jawa thief and the jetpack.  I thought it was awesome when the space cops switched to a 2nd channel and then just silently extended the X-foils into attack position.  The space/atmo chase was cool.  The practical creature work was great.  The Alien homage of the spider eggs was nice. The "spiders" were cool and that third act was a great action scene where Mando actually has to be saved which is unusual as he is usually unstoppable. They tied back to the prison break ep to re-orient Mando with respect to how the New Republic views him (i.e. honorable outlaw).

It was fun adventure in the SW universe with some easter eggs for hardcore fans, which is basically all I want from the show.   

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #354 on: November 07, 2020, 09:44:13 PM

It was a  monster of the week episode that didn't do anything for the meta but establish that Mando will never let anything bad happen to the Child, and the New Republic will turn a blind eye when needed. It was fun, had some great visuals, and kept me amused for an hour.

What the actual fuck? Not every episode has to be Art.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #355 on: November 07, 2020, 10:26:02 PM

What the actual fuck? Not every episode has to be Art.

--Dave

Way to argue against something nobody said.

Edit: And again, don't have an issue with standalones or MOTW episodes. The previous episode could pretty much qualify as a MOTW episode, as a good chunk of revolved around dealing with a big fucking monster.

Ab at least articulated what he liked about the episode and fair enough. I didn't get out of it what he did but I can appreciate that he had a good time with it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 10:37:08 PM by Velorath »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: November 08, 2020, 05:08:39 AM

I liked that episode more than almost any prior episode. Baby Yoda being a dick was mildly amusing and the first time he ever acted like a child. Admittedly fish lady not noticing was a bit weird. The scene with the robot voice was really well done. The visual effects were better than any prior episode, and the sequence with the xwings at the start was great.

I don't care about the lack of plot progress because this show has no overarching plot worth a damn and I am fine with that. Espeicially  given people were suggesting some god awful first order related plot might emerge this season.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: November 08, 2020, 06:47:41 AM

Pretty sure she did notice, which is why she went in the hot spring to lay some more eggs.

I am the .00000001428%
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: November 08, 2020, 11:44:47 AM

The problem with the mandalorian from season 1 is that you only needed to watch 3-4 episodes to get 100% of the plot. Half of season 2, if their simply copying and pasting from previous success, is bound to be filler.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: November 08, 2020, 12:37:57 PM

The problem with the mandalorian from season 1 is that you only needed to watch 3-4 episodes to get 100% of the plot. Half of season 2, if their simply copying and pasting from previous success, is bound to be filler.

I'm not certain that is a problem though.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #360 on: November 09, 2020, 01:19:05 AM

I, too, hate it when a series isn't just a plot synopsis.

swamp poop

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: November 09, 2020, 05:20:06 AM

I'm not certain that is a problem though.

It is a problem if the filler episodes are mostly meh. I did like season 2 episode 2 and is pretty ok with it literally doing nothing for the plot but I'm not invested in mandalorian being the star wars that will save us all.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: November 09, 2020, 07:40:22 AM

On the whole I like this show less than the internet does.

But been surprised how many comments like this I've seen when season 1 was the same, only with slightly lower production values.

If you thought of S1 as meh, then I get it. I'm enjoying it, but like S1 my socks remain unblown-off. Just surprised to see S1 boosters also down on it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:42:41 AM by eldaec »

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: November 09, 2020, 07:50:41 AM

Let's see if they are still meh at the end of the season.  I have a feeling we're treading a bit of water right now while building the anticipation towards the main thrust.

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: November 09, 2020, 09:44:32 AM

Overall I liked the start of season 2. Baby Yoda eating the eggs of a sentient being was a bit dark for me considering how light the rest of the series has been.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #365 on: November 09, 2020, 11:22:50 AM

It's very possible that the ship getting beat to shit matters for the rest of the season.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: November 09, 2020, 01:47:28 PM

I enjoyed the episode, it might have set some things up but character wise I liked continued connection with the spaceport lady and the action scenes were well done. I really enjoyed the scene with frog lady using the droid's vocabulator, it was kind of the opposite of Jar Jar Binks with a character who seemed to be either dumb or agentless suddenly asserting herself because she has her own fucking 'quest' thank you very much.

Baby Yoda eating the eggs was weird but definitely was it clearly behaving like a child and could set up some questions about Mando's ability to parent. It was pretty clear baby Yoda only sees him as an authority insofar as he's a direct physical obstacle since he doesn't really reprimand the kid. The bit I found a bit creepy was the final one, after the lizard lady had very directly saved the kid's life. I thought there would be some sense of empathy/identification but nooooope (which is pretty true to children).

I can see some potential callbacks to come out of this (reappearance of the space cops, lizard lady and her droid/mechanical skills, damage to the ship driving the next few episodes) so I wouldn't dismiss it as purely monster of the week but also I think you can have a good series have a fair number of stand alone episodes if you are writing a show like that. 'Filler' episodes are a problem when you've got Battlestar Galactica or Lose where they are setting up grand narratives and the go ignore them for 3/4 of a series and rush to resolve them. When the 'grand narrative' is you are bringing a toddler back to his people then the journey itself needs to be interesting.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: November 09, 2020, 01:50:17 PM

It's very possible that the ship getting beat to shit matters for the rest of the season.

Not just that but the story did not end, they never got to her husband.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #368 on: November 09, 2020, 02:32:15 PM

Based on the way the kid was looking at the eggs and the way they framed his initial reaction to them (including the musical cues), I wouldn't be completely comfortable in saying he was EATING the eggs. I wouldn't put it past them to say that it could be using the Force to gestate them in some way.

Or it could just be a throwaway gag.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: November 09, 2020, 08:49:35 PM

I don't think there's anything you guys like talking about more than Star Wars.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: November 10, 2020, 12:36:59 AM

Based on the way the kid was looking at the eggs and the way they framed his initial reaction to them (including the musical cues), I wouldn't be completely comfortable in saying he was EATING the eggs. I wouldn't put it past them to say that it could be using the Force to gestate them in some way.

Or it could just be a throwaway gag.

Han shot first.

Baby Yoda was eating the eggs.

These are facts.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: November 10, 2020, 06:15:53 AM

Maybe Baby Yoda can Force Poop fully gestated frogaliens and that will be the firing of the gun on the mantlepiece in the next act. Won't you all be surprised!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: November 10, 2020, 06:25:20 AM

Considering that it was almost entirely disassembled in season 1 and then rebuilt during the equivalent of an 80s workout montage while out in the wilderness, I do not think this should be a huge deal once they are back in port.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: November 10, 2020, 07:53:18 AM

There's a difference between disassembled and wrecked though.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #374 on: November 10, 2020, 08:20:08 AM

Kuiil was a master mechanic as well.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: November 10, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

... and a master mechanic in a desert is to be compared to his choice of mechanics from an entire planet.  It might be too expensive to fix, or something along those lines, but he sems to have had no trouble fixing his ship up to this point.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: November 10, 2020, 10:35:21 AM

I was also thinking the ship might be done for, but it would be weird because I think part of it is making the ship "iconic" for merch and promotional reasons.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: November 10, 2020, 11:25:41 AM

Hasbro just sold almost 30000 of them at 350 a pop literally last night, be quite a kick in the nuts if they destroyed it lol.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: November 10, 2020, 01:32:13 PM

There's a lot of copies of Death Stars and Superstar Destroyers and Enterprise-Cs out there. It's kind of the fate of a lot of iconic spaceships to get blown up. But I don't think this one has really had the chance to be iconic quite yet.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: November 10, 2020, 02:58:10 PM

It's basically a clone war gunship they probably got billions of those they would love to sell for 1000% profit at this point.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 03:40:06 PM by MediumHigh »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: November 10, 2020, 02:59:55 PM

I meant this thing they sold on their kickstarter wanna be site.

I am the .00000001428%
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: November 10, 2020, 06:05:56 PM

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:11:52 AM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: November 10, 2020, 07:39:22 PM

I will happily pay too much for the inevitable Lego model that I can leave partially assembled in front of my Sandcrawler, with minifigure Mando threatening the Jawas  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
https://smile.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-Mandalorian-Exclusive/dp/B0849GZMZH/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=star+wars+lego+mandalorian&qid=1605065942&sr=8-2

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: November 10, 2020, 07:41:32 PM

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:10:36 AM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: November 12, 2020, 10:19:13 AM

Thank you!  Telling the family what to get me for Christmas  Ohhhhh, I see.

Tell them to hurry, Legos massively increase in price after selling out.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian  
Jump to: