Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 130589 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #245 on: January 01, 2020, 01:42:29 PM

I'm still watching it and still loving it. Just little things that bother me:

Episode 4:

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: January 01, 2020, 05:42:56 PM

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #247 on: January 01, 2020, 06:29:34 PM

I thought the AT-ST was customized by raiders to be more intimidating/raider-like. It looked cool, many times that's the only reason anything needs to be the way it is.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #248 on: January 02, 2020, 07:56:05 AM

There's also no reason you couldn't put an AI brain into a salvaged AT-ST if you wanted to.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #249 on: January 02, 2020, 08:11:30 AM

It was a bad movie, but Last Jedi literally had BB-8 piloting an at-st by itself and murdering everybody.  So sure, yes.

Though I also assumed that it was manned by pilots, and the red glow inside the cabin was just the raiders being metal.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: January 02, 2020, 08:36:10 AM

Did we ever see pilots through the black tinted windows?  Not that I recall.  I mean, they were there, but I don’t think we could see through the panes.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #251 on: January 02, 2020, 09:25:11 AM

Just going off RotJ, doesn't appear to have any glass at all going by this clip and the shadows both in and out camera angles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDwXglOI5jA

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: January 02, 2020, 09:48:21 AM

Either way, you cannot see them.

But whatever, the whole scene were they required the AT ST to take a step into the bog didn’t really make sense on any level, there was tons of shit wrong with it.  I like the whole episode just the same.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #253 on: January 02, 2020, 01:43:37 PM

Either way, you cannot see them.

But whatever, the whole scene were they required the AT ST to take a step into the bog didn’t really make sense on any level, there was tons of shit wrong with it.  I like the whole episode just the same.

I agree with ya on it, just pointing it out. But I like anything with Gina in it... that girl's smile is killer

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #254 on: January 02, 2020, 08:47:17 PM

Did we ever see pilots through the black tinted windows?  Not that I recall.  I mean, they were there, but I don’t think we could see through the panes.

Yes there was one shot of pilots in the walker.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: January 03, 2020, 11:16:02 PM

Afaik, in lore it is a traditional weapon of the boss mandalorian.

Certainly in the Filoni cartoons it was just a weird looking lightsabre. Significance is political not murder efficiency.

Only one is known to exist, but if a writer wants two, I'm guessing there shall be two.

It was created by a Mandalorian Jedi and became a sort of symbol of the Mandalorian leader. Sort of their Excalibur. There is no other Dark Saber in the lore and with Dave Filoni attached to this I don't see that changing.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: January 05, 2020, 01:47:53 AM

Gosh, I wonder where that sword will end up.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #257 on: January 05, 2020, 03:38:51 AM

He's not going to keep it. He'll give it to the minigun guy or something.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: January 05, 2020, 12:01:10 PM

Like every 4 eps mando will get some new loot. That saber will be the legendary drop he gets in season 5.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: January 07, 2020, 01:19:01 AM

The 6th episode was fun.

I find the weapons bounce of everything/kill anything switch ups kill any tension in the show when it tries to have it, but it’s good silly fun when you just go with it.

The last episode is both the best and worst for this.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: January 07, 2020, 01:36:24 AM

Bouncing off?  I mean, blaster bolts bounce off the beskar, at least at a sufficient distance, so that is to be expected.  Was there other bouncing of note? 

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: January 07, 2020, 03:49:05 AM

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 04:06:36 AM by lamaros »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: January 07, 2020, 04:02:42 AM

Huh, okay, maybe you are right.  I didn't specifically notice those events, but it could also be that I am so used to seeing similar stuff everywhere that it doesn't register.

But whatever, they are clearing getting the big stuff right with this series, I can forgive the little stuff.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: January 07, 2020, 04:49:23 AM

It may well be "Star Wars RPG, the series. Now with Loot Progression, Loyalty missions,  and Armor Quests", but I'll be damned if it isn't damn compelling and fun to watch.

I guess there is a reason beyond providing timesinks why they use these mechanics in video games.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: January 07, 2020, 04:50:38 AM

To be fair - there is more than just a numbers game to the troopers.  50 in a town square - an open space - is different than 15 to 20 when you're stuck in a slow moving boat and they have the high ground.  As everyone knows, the high ground is the quintessential advantage in Star Wars.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: January 07, 2020, 05:33:36 AM

It may well be "Star Wars RPG, the series. Now with Loot Progression, Loyalty missions,  and Armor Quests", but I'll be damned if it isn't damn compelling and fun to watch.

I guess there is a reason beyond providing timesinks why they use these mechanics in video games.

It still has to be executed in a certain way.  One of the things from the Rise of Skywalker that I can't get out of my head is the whole Sith Dagger Is A Clue If Held Up In Exact Spot thing they did.  It was exactly the sort of shit that you do in a video game.  But it still didn't work, because it was absurdly executed and didn't ultimately make sense.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: January 07, 2020, 05:37:34 AM

I'll take your word for it as I didn't see that movie and will at the earliest when we get Disney Plus and it streams there.

In Mandalorian its superbly executed, though. At thirst I thought seeing those parallels was my imagination because I'm a filthy gamer.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #267 on: January 09, 2020, 04:10:41 PM

Watching this a second time through.  It holds up really well.  Did anyone else notice all the Aperture Weighted Cubes in the background?  Because I totally missed them the first time but they're EVERYWHERE.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

(Here's where someone posts a Wookieepedia link that explains that these are a specific canon thing that have been around forever.)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #268 on: January 09, 2020, 06:33:02 PM

I finally took out the Disney+ trial subscription and binged Mandalorian. It's fine, I'm not saying it's bad, but I was like "this is what I was missing?". Getting through it in 7 days was a bit of work.

I had the same reaction to Iron Man 1, also a Jon Favreau creation. I was surprised by how many people thought that movie was awesome, not just adequate. And that led to the whole MCU set of movies so I am hereby defeated and crawl back into my Amazon Prime Video hole to await 20 years of Mandalorian spin-offs consuming the entertainment industry. I'll be raving about rotoscoped original animated dramas, steampunk deep fantasy milieus and The Expanse if you need me.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #269 on: January 09, 2020, 07:22:57 PM

Watching this a second time through.  It holds up really well.  Did anyone else notice all the Aperture Weighted Cubes in the background?  Because I totally missed them the first time but they're EVERYWHERE.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

(Here's where someone posts a Wookieepedia link that explains that these are a specific canon thing that have been around forever.)

Those cubes have been there since the original Star Wars. The scanner crew that they sent to investigate the Falcon on the Death Star had them.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: January 09, 2020, 07:49:59 PM

I finally took out the Disney+ trial subscription and binged Mandalorian. It's fine, I'm not saying it's bad, but I was like "this is what I was missing?". Getting through it in 7 days was a bit of work.

I had the same reaction to Iron Man 1, also a Jon Favreau creation. I was surprised by how many people thought that movie was awesome, not just adequate. And that led to the whole MCU set of movies so I am hereby defeated and crawl back into my Amazon Prime Video hole to await 20 years of Mandalorian spin-offs consuming the entertainment industry. I'll be raving about rotoscoped original animated dramas, steampunk deep fantasy milieus and The Expanse if you need me.

There are quite a few SW nerds here on f13.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #271 on: January 09, 2020, 10:19:46 PM

It was water cooler talk at work. I sat through some legal training where the lawyer's entire reference material was The Mandalorian. Baby Yoda entered pop culture. That's the fuss that hyped it up for me, more even than you lot! I saw Star Wars in cinema with my sleeping dad in 1977. You'd think I'd live for this stuff.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #272 on: January 09, 2020, 11:57:01 PM

If Mandalorian was built solely on SW nostalgia I wouldn't like it (see: all the recent movies).  Mostly I like it because it's a dang good space western and it sort of fills the Firefly-shaped hole in my life.  Baby Yoda is just a bonus.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: January 10, 2020, 12:42:06 AM

If Mandalorian was built solely on SW nostalgia I wouldn't like it (see: all the recent movies).  Mostly I like it because it's a dang good space western and it sort of fills the Firefly-shaped hole in my life.  Baby Yoda is just a bonus.

That is exactly it.  Or it's both.  It would be excellent if it was some brand new non-SW IP.  There is a lot of the nostalgia stuff, with the main difference being that they largely did a great job with bringing those things in.  IG-11 is s straight copy paste of IG-88, for example, but instead of being some ham-fisted cheesy shit, IG-11 is fucking awesome.

It's the same with Baby Yoda.  It's such blatantly cheesy fan service on the one hand, but masterfully executed nonetheless. 

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: January 20, 2020, 09:44:24 AM

Started watching this, watched ep 4 last night.

I wish I was a fly on the wall in the storyboard meeting when someone said "Let's have our Boba Fett and a baby Yoda go defend a native american village".  So bizarre.

Star wars is supposed to have moral grey areas and character development, not just comic book level plotting, jokes and action scenes.  That's what's missing, there's no tension, no conflict, no point to any of it.  Just a pretty shiny man and a cute doll doing random shit.  Sometimes really really random.  They fail at storytelling 101.

It's damn pretty though, love the art in the end credits every episode.  I'm definitely watching the last 4.  Wish it was better.

Why don't you try our other games?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: January 20, 2020, 09:46:10 AM

While we here at F13 respect diverse and myriad opinions, you sir, are fucking nuts.

Just kidding.  Kind of.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: January 20, 2020, 10:25:46 AM

While we here at F13 respect diverse and myriad opinions, you sir, are fucking nuts.

Just kidding.  Kind of.

Hah!  Much love.

Why don't you try our other games?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #277 on: January 20, 2020, 12:03:35 PM

That is one of the more common complaints about the show -- that the middle episodes (4 - 6) did very little if anything to advance the main story line. If you can make it through them, though, you will be rewarded.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: January 20, 2020, 12:26:42 PM

When I read this shit I think of the Dick in college that complained about 'conquests' taking breaks during marathon BJs to play with his balls.  Give the artist a fucking chance to breath.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: January 20, 2020, 09:52:48 PM

Minus the dick and balls, that's also my opinion.  They can spend 3 or 4 seasons not advancing the plot for all I care.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian  
Jump to: