Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:24:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 131387 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #210 on: December 24, 2019, 08:16:23 AM

They should just hand the entire IP over to Marvel at this point, declare it in universe (maybe have a wormhole connect the two galaxies somehow) and stop trying to treat it like it's own special thing.  They've fucked the whole thing up since getting it from Lucas (who also fucked the whole thing up), so just hand over creative control to that organization.

This is the dumbest shit ever.

Mandalorian is what happens when you hand things over to Marvel folks. So, is it REALLY the dumbest shit ever?

Is it?

Is Dr. Strange not just a [more powerful] jedi by any other name?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #211 on: December 24, 2019, 08:29:04 AM

The Marvel people know how to write stories, both self-contained and meta stories that span multiple properties/characters. There's certainly some wiggle room to complain about the formulaic nature of their stories but even their bad movies are better than shit like Rise of Skywalker for no other reason than "they have a plan."

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #212 on: December 24, 2019, 10:47:30 AM

e7 damn
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: December 24, 2019, 11:07:25 AM

They just need a Feige for Star Wars. I think Dave Filoni might be the guy, though I'm not sure he can make the right choices in terms of hiring directors, etc--not enough evidence for that.

But the Star Wars management job is closer at this point to being handed the reins for DC Comics properties--there's a lot of mistakes to sort out and some housecleaning to do.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: December 24, 2019, 12:12:25 PM

They should just hand the entire IP over to Marvel at this point, declare it in universe (maybe have a wormhole connect the two galaxies somehow) and stop trying to treat it like it's own special thing.  They've fucked the whole thing up since getting it from Lucas (who also fucked the whole thing up), so just hand over creative control to that organization.

This is the dumbest shit ever.

Mandalorian is what happens when you hand things over to Marvel folks. So, is it REALLY the dumbest shit ever?

Is it?

Is Dr. Strange not just a [more powerful] jedi by any other name?

Yeah. It is. Declaring Star Wars and Marvel Universe to be happening in the same space is the dumbest shit ever. Yes. GTFOH.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
schild
Administrator

Reply #215 on: December 24, 2019, 01:15:43 PM

I think it would be incredibly stupid.

But it'd still be better than where star wars has gone for the last 30 years.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #216 on: December 24, 2019, 05:36:35 PM

You could make Howard the Duck the new Jedi master of the universe with an army of Transformers at his disposal, and it would still be less stupid than Rise of Skywalker.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #217 on: December 25, 2019, 09:43:52 AM

For some reason this conversation sparked a realization for me: I don't want things explained. The explanation is always dumber than the initial 'magic handwaving' (see: midichlorians).

But aren't you one of the ones who hates Lindelof?

That's me.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: December 25, 2019, 12:48:55 PM

Anyone that isn't loving this series is trying too hard to be a hater.  They're killing it.

This is the best Star Wars we've ever seen.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #219 on: December 25, 2019, 05:28:53 PM

For some reason this conversation sparked a realization for me: I don't want things explained. The explanation is always dumber than the initial 'magic handwaving' (see: midichlorians).

But aren't you one of the ones who hates Lindelof?

That's me.

I hated him too, but he redeemed himself with the Leftovers and Watchmen.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: December 26, 2019, 09:55:22 AM

Anyone that isn't loving this series is trying too hard to be a hater.  They're killing it.

This is the best Star Wars we've ever seen.

I wouldn't go that far but it is damn good and shows you can do something that isn't connected to existing characters and storylines and have it work. A lesson Lucasfilm desperately needed to learn.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #221 on: December 27, 2019, 04:23:10 AM

Yeah. It is. Declaring Star Wars and Marvel Universe to be happening in the same space is the dumbest shit ever. Yes. GTFOH.
For the record I was joking about that actually being a thing (maybe I should have used green I guess).  Just joking that this series shows Marvel folks and what not can do such a better job than Lucas with this franchise that they may as well declare the various characters marvel heros.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: December 27, 2019, 10:03:53 AM

Those two scout troopers might be might favorite Star Wars characters.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #223 on: December 27, 2019, 10:37:38 AM

Those two scout troopers might be might favorite Star Wars characters.
I paused the screen when they first appeared. It was such a masterful tableau, capturing the post-Imperial troops lounging at their duty positions like a hybrid soldier/biker ganger. Then the nuance of those two hearing Mando on I'm assuming a recon radio with better spectrum than the avg trooper's was a nice touch.

But the unexpected happy nostalgia surprise was

I still can't put anything ahead of OT because Han and Leia were just that friggin' good (I've been rewatching the 4k versions). But this series and Rogue One have absolutely redeemed Star Wars in my opinion. Whatever else happens in the IP, getting gems like these is something to be excited about. Rogue One shows they are capable of putting together a good movie (though I still prefer the "I rebel" idea over the "Rebellions are built on hope" final cut, tbh), and the Mandalorian is showing that they have formula for longer form stuff.

I'm also happy they went with a traditional episodic release rather than a modern binge release. It's nice to have a new episode to look forward to every week, going to miss it when it ends.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: December 27, 2019, 11:18:37 AM

Ahh... that was it you know.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: December 27, 2019, 12:29:48 PM

That scene at the start of the last episode - that was awesome.  Loved it.

How long is the wait until Season 2? 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #226 on: December 27, 2019, 12:58:31 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: December 27, 2019, 01:04:06 PM

Ahh... that was it you know.
I haven't seen the final episode yet :)
schild
Administrator

Reply #228 on: December 27, 2019, 03:16:20 PM

Star Wars fans so lucky this is part of the MCEU now
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: December 27, 2019, 05:43:03 PM

One of the scout troopers was Jason Sudeikis apparently, the other was Adam Pally who I've never heard of.

I am the .00000001428%
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: December 27, 2019, 06:24:59 PM

That season could not have gone better.  Awesome addition to Star Wars lore.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #231 on: December 27, 2019, 09:43:34 PM

Now that's the way to do fan service right. I am going to miss this shit for the next fucking year.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #232 on: December 27, 2019, 10:13:00 PM

The bit with the biker troopers was great. I knew Waititi would do a great job with the finale but it even exceeded those expectations.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: December 27, 2019, 10:37:30 PM

That scene at the start of the last episode - that was awesome.  Loved it.

How long is the wait until Season 2? 

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #234 on: December 28, 2019, 10:11:33 AM

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: December 28, 2019, 10:52:44 AM

I am the .00000001428%
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: December 29, 2019, 10:46:13 AM

Just finished 7 and 8, and goddamn.  That is how you do Star Wars.  Let Favreau and Filoni do all the Star Wars from now on until they die.  As a collective piece of work, this is IMO the best SW we have seen.  Or it is at least right up there with Empire.

Baby Yoda noping the fucking out and grabbing the ship controls was the funniest thing I have seen in a while.  Until perhaps Apollo tells him to do the hand thing, and he then obliges, jesus christ so funny.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #237 on: December 29, 2019, 11:06:26 AM

Apparently Jason Sudekis was one of the biker troopers. Jesus Christ that bit was so funny.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: December 29, 2019, 01:09:50 PM

Episode 8 was much weaker than episode 7.  Some great bits, some weak bits.  Waititi tone whiplash in full effect, which his Thor movie had quite a bit of.  "I'm dying, leave me!  Must sacrifice myself!  Oh, I'm okay! <prat fall> Oh, you can't sacrifice yourself!  Oh, all the baddies are dead, lets jokingly talk about everything going back to normal completely ignoring the supposedly sad moment we just had 2 minutes ago!"

I didn't like the scout troopers.  Too on the nose, and deflates the risk to our main characters if the baddies are blatantly fucking incompetent...  I mean, if they were that fucking bad how did they get the baby in first place?  I say that as someone who loved the old Troops short.  Storm Troopers have largely been portrayed as decently scary in the series until this episode, where the tension was drained out of the previous episode's setup by making them target dummies...  The troopers would have had Mando in episode 3 a couple of times if he wasn't fully outfitted in armor that actually works really well.   Or compare to the Jawas:  The Jawas were jokey in episode 2, and Mando murdered the shit out of a bunch of them, but they managed to beat him in a believable manner.

Troops: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HO70-Rk3jE

Wasn't bad, and there were some great moments like the Moff listing off everyone's full name and planet of origin, or the IG-11/Mando scene.  When you discover Gina Carrano was from Alderaan?  Yeah, now you know why she's got a big old hate fetish for IMPs.  It was just a bit mixed after the amazing episode 7.  Deborah Chow killed it in Episode 7, and people are really excited for her Obi Wan series now.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: December 30, 2019, 06:50:44 AM

The scouts in the finale reminded me of the two goobers in the Oceans franchise. Loved 'em.

I thought that was a vibroblade, but I guess the armor on a Moff makes sense having a saber, too. Never heard of a dark saber, but I'm no uberfan (I mean, I have a Vader helmet but not the entire outfit!).
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: December 30, 2019, 07:13:14 AM

Off the top of my head, the dark saber appears only in Clone Wars and Rebels material.  It is an important Mandalorian artifact.  I was never clear on whether there was only one of them in existence, or if they were just rare like lightsabers.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #241 on: December 30, 2019, 07:35:57 AM

Off the top of my head, the dark saber appears only in Clone Wars and Rebels material.  It is an important Mandalorian artifact.  I was never clear on whether there was only one of them in existence, or if they were just rare like lightsabers.
There's just the one, made by the first (only?) Mandalorian Jedi, before the Jedi and Mandalorians went to war. Nobody knows how it was made, and it has never been duplicated.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: December 30, 2019, 07:39:57 AM

Ok, that set up season 2 even better than I had thought!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: December 30, 2019, 07:52:26 AM

I've watched Clone Wars and Rebels and I've never been quite clear on what makes it so special other than being black. It seems to work like a regular ass lightsaber.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: December 30, 2019, 09:05:35 AM

Afaik, in lore it is a traditional weapon of the boss mandalorian.

Certainly in the Filoni cartoons it was just a weird looking lightsabre. Significance is political not murder efficiency.

Only one is known to exist, but if a writer wants two, I'm guessing there shall be two.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:08:22 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian  
Jump to: