Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 130560 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: November 30, 2019, 07:50:53 PM

Did we already talk about the short piece that revealed that Favreau and Filoni were ready to fall back on a CGI Baby Yoda and Werner Herzog confronted them about it?

Close your eyes and hear his voice saying the following to Favreau when he found out:

"You are cowards. Leave it."

Apparently also he kept talking affectionately to the Baby Yoda puppet while they were setting up for his scene with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #141 on: November 30, 2019, 07:54:19 PM

I was surprised that Gina parted ways with Mando, and I half expect to see her again.

I was also surprised to find that I find the heavier version of Gina to be kinda hot anyway.

Any Gina Carano is hot. She even made that ridiculous flat top mullet work in Deadpool. That said, I’m hoping for an ensemble by the end of this too. I also kinda want to know where the widow Annie Oakley learned how to shoot.

#TRUTH

Gina Carano is very hot, heavier or not. And widow krill farmer was also hot and I really do want to find out how she learned to shoot.

As for the Werner Herzog story about the Baby Yoda, that sounds like the truth even if it isn't. I'm very glad they stuck with puppet Yoda, because I keep flashing back to CGI Yoda flipping around on the floating Senate platforms and just cringe.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: December 01, 2019, 06:25:17 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #143 on: December 01, 2019, 09:18:17 AM

Baby Yoda is the fucking bomb. I'm not even sure I want to try to dissect WHY, it just makes the whole story work.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: December 01, 2019, 10:06:00 AM

At this point its kinda weird more people ask him about the helmet than ask his fucking name.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: December 01, 2019, 03:07:58 PM

Hey MANDO! Mando!

Like, that's gotta feel a bit like someone's saying "Hey WOP! Hey NEGRO!"

I wouldn't mind finding out that the surviving Mandalorians think of Boba Fett as the worst bullshit ever, but folks who know the EU better than me (or all of Filoni's oeuvre) may tell me that's already happened.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: December 01, 2019, 09:53:12 PM

Boba Fett was not, I believe, ever considered a Mandalorian by anyone, not even himself.  It is a culture, not a birthright.  And while I suppose it could get tiring, being called Mando is more like being called "badass motherfucker who will end your shit and probably gets all the ladies, too".  It is certainly not supposed to be a pejorative.

Favreau's interpretation here where they never remove their helmets is, I think, quite unusual.  It may have been mentioned in lore somewhere, but all other interpretations have them removing their lids occasionally. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #147 on: December 02, 2019, 12:34:03 AM

He's converted the "Man With No Name" into the "Man With No Face."  Has to be a payoff down the road for the man who had Tony declare he was Iron Man in the very first MCU movie.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #148 on: December 02, 2019, 02:42:16 AM

So your saying when he finally takes off the helmet, were going to find out he's played by RDJ?  It all makes sense now!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: December 02, 2019, 02:58:17 AM

Pedro might not exactly be RDJ, but on the other hand, he is the motherfucking Red Viper of Dorne and that's not nothing.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #150 on: December 02, 2019, 09:01:44 AM

Favreau's interpretation here where they never remove their helmets is, I think, quite unusual.  It may have been mentioned in lore somewhere, but all other interpretations have them removing their lids occasionally. 
I’m pretty sure it’ll be explained at some point why they no longer remove their helmets. David Filioni, who is a co-writer on the show, is also the supervising director on Clone Wars and the creator of Rebels where the Mandalorians do take off their helmets freely. I.e. this is not some sort of retcon by Favreau — something happened in the years in between to make them change this behavior.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: December 02, 2019, 09:12:30 AM

There was a fateful night when all the known Mandalorians were killed in their sleep, and after that they only ran around with their helmets on. Obviously.  why so serious?

Love this series. And Baby Yoda is both ridiculously cute and true to form. That red button moments is exactly like mischievous toddlers behave, down to the facial expressions.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: December 02, 2019, 10:28:33 AM

I’m pretty sure it’ll be explained at some point why they no longer remove their helmets. David Filioni, who is a co-writer on the show, is also the supervising director on Clone Wars and the creator of Rebels where the Mandalorians do take off their helmets freely. I.e. this is not some sort of retcon by Favreau — something happened in the years in between to make them change this behavior.

Well, the Mandalorians are not one big massive entity. There are clans and it could be as simple as it's this clan's rules. Also, after what happened to the Mandalorians in the Clone Wars (and during the Empire) their numbers are probably very low. This rule might be as simple as a way for Mandalorians to have a way to escape if another purge happens. I could see them being prepared to ditch their armor and simply walk away unrecognized if it means survival of the clan.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: December 02, 2019, 04:30:13 PM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: December 02, 2019, 10:05:00 PM

There was a fateful night when all the known Mandalorians were killed in their sleep, and after that they only ran around with their helmets on. Obviously.  why so serious?

Love this series. And Baby Yoda is both ridiculously cute and true to form. That red button moments is exactly like mischievous toddlers behave, down to the facial expressions.

His third one where he is staring Mando right in the face and not even looking at the button while he does it brought back many memories.

It's also being memed to high heaven with different music coming on when he pushes the buttons.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: December 03, 2019, 07:37:53 AM

I don't have a kid but that moment was 100% my damn cat.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #156 on: December 05, 2019, 07:11:19 AM

Just saw ep4. Holy carp, this show keeps delivering. Such a great vibe to it.

As far as a face reveal, I'm going to always be bummed if it happens because the role and voice combine to make me picture Mando as Timothy Olyphant.

And baby Yoda is awesome because he's basically a cat. With force powers.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: December 05, 2019, 09:46:05 AM

Hey MANDO! Mando!

Like, that's gotta feel a bit like someone's saying "Hey WOP! Hey NEGRO!"

I wouldn't mind finding out that the surviving Mandalorians think of Boba Fett as the worst bullshit ever, but folks who know the EU better than me (or all of Filoni's oeuvre) may tell me that's already happened.

Hard to say he does not seem to be going out of his way to tell anybody his name  and he does not seem offended by it so may just be realizing that people need to refer to him as something.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: December 05, 2019, 09:28:36 PM

Probably closer to how Amish people call everyone who isn't Amish "Hey, English" (at least if tv and movies have informed me correctly).

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: December 06, 2019, 04:30:10 AM

Did everybody call him that?  I thought it was just Carl Weather's and felt like a name his character just made up (because Mando probably didn't give him a name).

Regardless, it would fit perfectly anyways considering the Sergio Leone feel we keep pointing out.

"Blondie!  Hey Blondie!!"

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: December 06, 2019, 04:47:31 AM

Yeah, I think it felt right with the Western vibe to the show and the 'man with no name' approach to the character. The Mandalorians generally seem like an interesting take, they've clearly been impacted by the early Empire clear out and I kind of hope we get a few more hints about them without it being too much of a focus. The scene leaving the planet with baby Yoda was really awesome, 'This is the way' indeed.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: December 06, 2019, 07:00:56 AM

Yeah.

It's a classic serial plot structure--sometimes a protagonist who has to leave wherever he's arrived because he's being chased (The Fugitive/The Incredible Hulk) sometimes simply because he doesn't like people very much or is restless. But I think in a serial format as opposed to a few films like Fistful of Dollars/GB&U you have to eventually give the main character some recurring allies, enemies and foils to work off of--say, like Doctor Who. Otherwise you end up kind of trapped with the main character. And it's a real challenge to series writers to come up with new characters each week who are interesting one-off people in an interesting situation for the main character to interact with. I think these guys can do it but I hope they're not afraid to mix up the formula if or when it gets to be too confining or repetitive.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: December 06, 2019, 09:47:51 AM

Did everybody call him that?  I thought it was just Carl Weather's and felt like a name his character just made up (because Mando probably didn't give him a name).

Regardless, it would fit perfectly anyways considering the Sergio Leone feel we keep pointing out.

"Blondie!  Hey Blondie!!"

In a Few Dollars More (2nd in trilogy), Clint is referred to as "Manco" in the credits and maybe once in the movie...  guess its Spanish for "one armed" and he only really uses one arm for most things.  It's also so close to Mando you wonder if it is an easter egg or a happy coincidence.

First movie he is either "the American" or called "Joe" (generic name for an American).  Last movie Tuco calls him Blondie.

Probably closer to how Amish people call everyone who isn't Amish "Hey, English" (at least if tv and movies have informed me correctly).

Aussie, Kiwi, Tommy, Joe, Yank.  Brit was usually regarded as fine as long as it wasn't applied to Republic of Ireland folks, when I worked with lots of British Isles folks. 

There are definitely problematic or outright racist diminutives, but there are plenty that are affectionate or neutral.  For instance, pepper and newfie are both derogatory (for French Canadian and Newfoundland, respectively).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #163 on: December 06, 2019, 11:38:28 AM

I think it's pretty clear after his exchanges with the bounty hunter in ep 5, "Mando" isn't a name, just a kind of derogatory short hand for Mandalorian.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: December 06, 2019, 12:06:08 PM

I'm sure we'll get explanations about a lot of this stuffas time goes by... enjoy the mystery.

At first I thoght they'd gone too far with the fan service in the ltest episode, but.... Who else was looking at the wall in the booth for blaster scoring?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:57:53 PM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: December 06, 2019, 01:25:26 PM

I was. I also hollered out R5-D4! and Gonk! like a dork.  There is also a serious easter egg in the title cards they ran under the credits. 

If this is all fan service, fucking serve me up some more.

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: December 06, 2019, 10:42:33 PM

I was. I also hollered out R5-D4! and Gonk! like a dork.  There is also a serious easter egg in the title cards they ran under the credits. 

If this is all fan service, fucking serve me up some more.

I was quite happy to see R5-D4 and for like 5 seconds was like "The Mandalorian could use an astromech droid right?"

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: December 07, 2019, 06:51:40 PM

I thought the droid serving in that bar was hilarious.

I wouldn't have minded a passing comment on what the situation on Tatooine post-Jabba is like, as long as they were doing fan service.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: December 07, 2019, 07:02:25 PM

The whole place looked dead.  I guess after the Empire and the Hutts got purged there was nothing left.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: December 08, 2019, 03:06:51 PM

It finally *is* a backwater, maybe.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: December 09, 2019, 08:46:56 AM

Republic ruined the economy.  Things use to be booming in this here town when the empire ruled......

Dumb as it was, I think my favorite bit of fan service in this episode was:  "She has the HIGH ground."

-Stephen Colbert
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: December 09, 2019, 12:59:34 PM

I thought the droid serving in that bar was hilarious.

I wouldn't have minded a passing comment on what the situation on Tatooine post-Jabba is like, as long as they were doing fan service.

I'm a big Star Wars nerd so when he walked in, my first thought was "the droid scanner by the door is gone, that's a mistake." Then the camera panned and I saw droids tending bars and was like "Oh, not a mistake at all! I approve!"

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #172 on: December 09, 2019, 03:11:27 PM

This reminds me of comfy classic television. Also I'm picking up about 66% of the easter eggs.

Thanks for that Baby Yoda turns on music tip.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: December 10, 2019, 04:24:32 PM

I'm still watching it and still loving it. Just little things that bother me:

Episode 4:

Episode 5:

Aside from those concerns, I enjoy the stories and baby Yoda and the look and feel of the worlds they go to and the ships and everything else. I nerd out over every episode as soon as I can see them. This is the extension of the live action Star Wars universe I have always wanted to see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #174 on: December 10, 2019, 04:50:55 PM

For #4 of Ep 5 spoiler:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian  
Jump to: