Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Board Games - The Kickstartering 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Board Games - The Kickstartering  (Read 72655 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #105 on: March 06, 2020, 01:25:24 PM

Frosthaven, the sequel to Stormhaven, is coming to Kickstarter March 24th.

http://www.cephalofair.com/2020/01/thoughts-on-the-new-year-2020.html#more-2719
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: March 06, 2020, 03:49:51 PM

Based on that picture alone looks like are sticking with the theme of bad art.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #107 on: March 06, 2020, 07:32:46 PM

oh yeah the art is absolutely shit
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: March 06, 2020, 11:17:05 PM

game looks like shit
Yes.  MArvel United artwork/miniatures are disappointing.  The game play seems a bit simplistic, but they left enough room we might be surprised by a decent game under the theme... but likely not.

However, my 4 year old will be 5 when this thing delivers (maybe 6) and should be just perfecly aged to play it with me for a while.  I should have just one the $60 or $90, but he loves Thor, Spider-man and a few of the others in expansions.  I'm going to enjoy the Dark Tower and Ankh ... but this one was for the family.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: March 11, 2020, 05:59:46 AM

Pax Pamir 2nd Ed is back on kickstarter. And available basically nowhere else.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243243962/pax-pamir-reprint?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #110 on: March 13, 2020, 03:26:57 PM

game looks like shit
Yes.  MArvel United artwork/miniatures are disappointing.  The game play seems a bit simplistic, but they left enough room we might be surprised by a decent game under the theme... but likely not.

However, my 4 year old will be 5 when this thing delivers (maybe 6) and should be just perfecly aged to play it with me for a while.  I should have just one the $60 or $90, but he loves Thor, Spider-man and a few of the others in expansions.  I'm going to enjoy the Dark Tower and Ankh ... but this one was for the family.

Yeah the card decks are wayyy too small. More KDM style games = yes. But you can't give the bad guy a super simple 12 card deck and the good guy a 10 card deck and not think its going to get very boring very quickly surely? I didn't even see a lot of wild/zany rng elements to keep it from feeling samey after a few runs.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #111 on: March 13, 2020, 06:03:15 PM

if anyone's wondering

fucking buy this
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: March 14, 2020, 03:20:48 PM

if anyone's wondering

fucking buy this
It is not highly rated on BGG (the first edition) - why do you like it so much?

schild
Administrator

Reply #113 on: March 14, 2020, 07:52:37 PM

if anyone's wondering

fucking buy this
It is not highly rated on BGG (the first edition) - why do you like it so much?
Only the 2nd Edition, which largely obsoletes the first edition.

The game walks a knife's edge of balancing future board states against current board states and the market while trying to sway things just slightly enough in your allegiance's direction to gain you points upon dominance checks.

That is to say, every time you do something, it's to advance something in the margins. Very few plays are big splashy plays - so much so that if you have one or two of them in a short time frame you actually end up just ending the game early (if someone has 4 or more points than the next closest player at a dominance check, the game just ends).

It's one of the most tense and subtly cutthroat games I've ever played.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: March 15, 2020, 04:17:50 AM

... That is to say, every time you do something, it's to advance something in the margins. Very few plays are big splashy plays - so much so that if you have one or two of them in a short time frame you actually end up just ending the game early (if someone has 4 or more points than the next closest player at a dominance check, the game just ends).

It's one of the most tense and subtly cutthroat games I've ever played.
Sold.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: March 21, 2020, 02:29:12 PM

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess there will not be many new KS worth backing in the next 3 months.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #116 on: March 21, 2020, 08:22:09 PM

The new season of Pandemic will be lit af tho
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: March 21, 2020, 10:23:00 PM

The new season of Pandemic will be lit af tho
It isn't getting great reviews.  Apparently, they thought it would be a good idea to transition it into a LARP and release it in open Beta.  People are not happy with it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: March 22, 2020, 07:14:57 AM

Some people decided to house rule the hell out of it, dragging the game session out forever
schild
Administrator

Reply #119 on: March 22, 2020, 09:08:59 AM

Pandemic season 1 was bottled lightning. Daviau is done. Leacock has like one good idea every 3-5 years. He used it up with Era: Medieval Age last year.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: March 22, 2020, 03:37:16 PM

While I absolutely do not get it, there is a decent number of people that liked Season 2 more than 1.  Regardless, both were worthwhile and I am looking forward to eventually playing Season 3 (although it has nothing to do with Kickstarter) when it is released muuuuuuuch later than initially anticipated.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #121 on: March 23, 2020, 12:11:55 AM

Is this the appropriate thread to shame yourself for spending $235 on a Marvel CMON Kickstarter to play with the kids - someday?
Good news! You can now pay CMON more money to get your game at the same time it'll be available at retail in August. Otherwise you will have to wait till April to get it awesome, for real

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/marvel-united/posts/2786035
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: March 23, 2020, 12:16:07 PM

Yeah, if you go through the comments you might note me bitch slapping them for deceptive practices.  They were reported by many for this one.  If not for Caronavirus, something might have actually happened to them.

For those not in the know, after the KS, they announced that they were ging to ship the core game in August when it went to retail and everything else next year.  They told us, again - after the KS closed - you could pay more to get your core game in August, or just wait until everything was ready sometime next year.  So, either get your entire bundle way after most non-KS people get the core game, or pay a hidden fee. C'mon has some shady marketing techniques, but this is the first time I'd call the Queen Games level unethical.

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: March 23, 2020, 03:05:14 PM

Wasn’t CMON the Phoenix company for New Wave Games, an earlier company known for unethical online sales practices?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #124 on: March 23, 2020, 03:21:03 PM

Yup.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: March 25, 2020, 01:15:44 PM

Last day for Chronicles of Crime II - The Chronicliser.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/destinies/chronicles-of-crime-the-millennium-series

It looks like it addresses my main dislike of the original - which was that it was ugly.

The middle one with the escape room style puzzle theme will go down especially well I suspect.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: March 28, 2020, 08:49:25 AM

Shit like when a game goes to retail vs when I get my KS version matters zero point zero to me. It is funny when people all up in here getting vapors about that when you know CMON is just a pre-order with bonuses when they're on KS. They've already got the core stuff lined up for production and it's stupid to hold that up while they finish off the KS stuff, and it's also stupid to expect them to eat an extra shipping charge because of it. Do you even capitalism?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: March 28, 2020, 11:41:33 AM

Everything on KS is either a preorder, or a preorder with bonuses.

To be fair I see fewer people getting mad about it these days.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: March 28, 2020, 12:35:08 PM

Shit like when a game goes to retail vs when I get my KS version matters zero point zero to me.
Then you're unlike the vast mojority of people.  Most of the people out there get pissed when you tell them they had the honor of paying first, but getting their product last.
It is funny when people all up in here getting vapors about that when you know CMON is just a pre-order with bonuses when they're on KS. They've already got the core stuff lined up for production and it's stupid to hold that up while they finish off the KS stuff, and it's also stupid to expect them to eat an extra shipping charge because of it. Do you even capitalism?
If they were upfront about it, or had a history of this type of misleading shit, then I'd agree.  This was a new misleading move they pulled.  When people lie and mislead about their product, their customers stop believing them when they make claims and start to turn their back on them.  There are a lot of established brands that have gone out of business because people slowly realize the one popular brand was synonymous with crap.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #129 on: March 28, 2020, 05:28:35 PM

This really isn't much different from how it's all gone down in the past.  Zombicide: Invader hit retail months before pledges started delivering.  If anything, in this case they're at least giving people the option to pay more if they want the retail portion earlier.  All you have to do is look at CMON's past to see that retail is delivered first for all of these projects.

These days, I don't kickstart anything unless it's an exclusive, I'll have trouble getting it later because of limited quantities, or there are exclusive extras that I want.  Everything else will eventually hit retail and it'll probably be cheaper than what I would've paid on Kickstarter.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: March 31, 2020, 10:48:36 AM

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess there will not be many new KS worth backing in the next 3 months.
Well, I was wrong.

Frosthaven Comes

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #131 on: March 31, 2020, 11:36:19 AM

Yeah I mentioned that at the top of the page.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: March 31, 2020, 02:30:24 PM

Yeah - on March 6th.  A lifetime ago.  I expected them to delay the release.  A lot of the people that would back this thig may be watching their jobs go away - and if not, they may be watching their savings dwindle while furloughed.  That has to hurt sales.

schild
Administrator

Reply #133 on: March 31, 2020, 05:40:02 PM

Yeah - on March 6th.  A lifetime ago.  I expected them to delay the release.  A lot of the people that would back this thig may be watching their jobs go away - and if not, they may be watching their savings dwindle while furloughed.  That has to hurt sales.
$4,189,090
pledged of $500,000 goal

Never stand in the way of bad decisions and luxury habits.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: March 31, 2020, 06:01:59 PM

...and we'll never know how much they'd have done without the virus released on the world. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #135 on: March 31, 2020, 06:08:15 PM

sure

but we'll never know if this is even HIGHER because people are stuck at home with their board games

Unlike KDM, there's no actual reason to preorder this except for a *potential* headstart.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #136 on: March 31, 2020, 06:20:16 PM

The venn diagram of boutique board game enthusiasts and people who make enough money to ride out the economic problems (or think they do) is practically a circle.  Board gaming is not a cheap hobby.

Kickstarting will definitely slow down but Childres is a known quantity.  This thing has more pledged in a day than Gloomhaven's second printing had in its entire campaign.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: March 31, 2020, 06:47:14 PM

I've known a lot of people that spent far more than their disposable income on board games.  A lot.  Of people.  And a lot more than their disposable income.

But yeah, this is a special kind of KS,  If the nukes were flying, Godzilla raging, and an asteroid on a collision course...it probably would have hit $4M in day one.  Despite the fact that most people that played Gloomhaven to completon burned out towards the end.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #138 on: March 31, 2020, 07:12:58 PM

Yeah, Gloomhaven was a lot of game.  It was my solo game for about three years until I finally considered it finished.  Then I moved on to Street Masters, which I figure will last me until this comes in.  If I were to do the math though, the number of hours I spent playing Gloomhaven compared to the amount of money I spent purchasing it would lead to pennies on the hour.  It's one of the most economical sources of entertainment I've ever spent money on.  Looking at it that way makes this kind of a no-brainer.

schild
Administrator

Reply #139 on: March 31, 2020, 07:23:08 PM

i built my gloomhaven organizer, which turned me off of playing the game completely lol
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Board Games - The Kickstartering  
Jump to: