Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:51:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Generic Question / Answer Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Generic Question / Answer Thread  (Read 11225 times)
schild
Administrator

on: September 05, 2018, 09:51:03 PM

Ask question/recommendation/whatever, get answer.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 12:15:47 PM

Can I ask for recommendations in this thread or is that a diff one?

- Viin
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 12:39:41 PM

Should we discuss other tabletop games here too, eg. DnD?
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 01:16:12 PM

Sure make D&D thread.

Yes this thread is for recommendations also.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 02:44:57 AM

So I can't get Gloomhaven.

What's the next step down ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 09:36:15 AM

It's tough to make a single suggestion because Gloomhaven does a lot of different things and puts them all into a single package.  I don't feel like there is any one other game that does everything Gloomhaven does, but there are plenty of good games out there that replicate some aspects of it but not others.  So it kind of depends on what aspect of Gloomhaven most appeals to you.

If you're looking for an RPG-in-a-box then Folklore: The Afflicition is good.  It was also just reprinted from a second Kickstarter so copies are relatively easy to find and inexpensive.  It's not quite Gloomhaven though because the RPG elements are stronger, while having less emergent gameplay and more randomness through the use of dice.

If you're looking for card-based gameplay that can be played solo, co-op or competitively there is Mage Knight.  Or if you prefer a sci-fi theme there is a re-skinned Mage Knight named Star Trek Frontiers that I prefer.  There's no campaign mode though as each game is an isolated scenario.  Another great card-based co-op game is Spirit Island, but it again doesn't have a campaign mode and is only similar in terms of the gameplay elements.

If you're looking for a good story Mansions of Madness is a solid choice.  The mechanics are nowhere near as tight as Gloomhaven though and there also isn't any campaign or character progression.

If you're looking for a thematic dungeon crawler then there are tons of choices.  Descent and Imperial Assault both have apps that make them coop now and they're both solid choices as they have campaign modes like Gloomhaven has.  That's where the similarities end though because they rely much more on dice chucking and are far more Ameritrashy than Gloomhaven.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 10:40:15 AM

Well, that's an excellent answer and I myself took to a couple of hours research to find out, only for the wife to come home and mention that she has, through her network of social contacts, managed to snag me a remaining copy of the game from a darkened sorcerous shop somewhere.

So there's that.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 12:51:37 PM

Didn't know where else to put this, but...

GMT Games is having a 50% off sale for almost every in-stock item on their website that starts at 1:00pm PST.  It lasts from October 18 to 25 and in past sales like this things tend to go out of stock fast so the sooner you act the better.  If you're one of the three or four board game fans that still doesn't have Twilight Struggle this is a good excuse to pick it up.  Or one of the COIN games, though the reprints of A Distant Plain and Fire on the Lake aren't included in the sale, unfortunately, since they're still shipping pre-orders.  Colonial Twilight, Falling Sky, Cuba Libre and Pendragon are good and should be included in the sale though.

Web Address: https://www.gmtgames.com/.  When you check out use the code, GMTSale2018 to get the discount.

The website is likely to be slow for the first day of the sale.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 01:19:44 PM

Didn't know where else to put this, but...

GMT Games is having a 50% off sale for almost every in-stock item on their website that starts at 1:00pm PST.  It lasts from October 18 to 25 and in past sales like this things tend to go out of stock fast so the sooner you act the better.  If you're one of the three or four board game fans that still doesn't have Twilight Struggle this is a good excuse to pick it up.  Or one of the COIN games, though the reprints of A Distant Plain and Fire on the Lake aren't included in the sale, unfortunately, since they're still shipping pre-orders.  Colonial Twilight, Falling Sky, Cuba Libre and Pendragon are good and should be included in the sale though.

Web Address: https://www.gmtgames.com/.  When you check out use the code, GMTSale2018 to get the discount.

The website is likely to be slow for the first day of the sale.

i can't even connect fml
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 01:25:31 PM

Yeah, this is exactly what happened when they threw the few remaining Twilight Struggle collector's editions up on the site.  When it eventually comes back up it'll also be nightmarishly slow.  Unless you're a grognard though you're probably just making a beeline for COIN games or mounted boards so there's not a lot of need to shop around.

schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 01:33:01 PM

to be fair, they've produced nothing else as nice as the TS CE, so that makes sense
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 01:39:42 PM

got connected, literally anything i had an interest in is sold out

sounds to me like they should just decrease their prices 50%
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 01:46:22 PM

While you're there Dominant Species: Marine is available for P500 as of today also. Player count dropped from 6 to 4 and they've streamlined some rules as well as tweaking the theme. I think Dominant Species was pretty amazing as is, but I'm more than happy to throw more money in their direction.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 03:32:15 PM

Has anyone looked at Shadowrun 6E? Is it overwhelmingly bad like Reddit says, or just regular Shadowrun bad?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 07:31:48 AM

Anyone have experience with Nova Aetas?  They're doing a second generation KS and I'm curious.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 09:17:49 PM

This isn't a question or answer, but Wave 3 shit launches tomorrow on All Aboard Games for you 18xx fans. I'm grabbing Rolling Stock Stars and 1849. Probably nothing else. Part of me wants 18MS, but ehhh.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Generic Question / Answer Thread  
Jump to: