Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:12:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Witcher 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Witcher  (Read 56776 times)
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: January 13, 2020, 07:40:19 PM

Finally got around to watching this over the weekend with some friends.

It's not super deep, but it was a ton of fun, which is what I want from this kind of thing.  Also, that 'Toss a Coin to Your Witcher' song is a goddamned earworm.

The only thing that annoyed me was Cavill's Batman voice, but I stopped caring after ten minutes.  I'm glad a second season is already on order.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:48:54 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: January 14, 2020, 07:07:13 AM

It's fun. I don't know quite why people find the temporal relationships between the main characters' storylines quite so confusing.

Cavill is really good in the role.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #177 on: January 14, 2020, 08:12:59 AM

It's fun. I don't know quite why people find the temporal relationships between the main characters' storylines quite so confusing.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average viewer.   awesome, for real

I had basically zero familiarity with the lore/story, and was watching in a somewhat distracted state, so I was a little confused for the first episode or two (wait, isn't that the same person who...?), but once I understood that I was seeing things out of order it was not hard to assemble the jigsaw puzzle.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: January 14, 2020, 08:48:13 AM

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average viewer.   awesome, for real

I had basically zero familiarity with the lore/story, and was watching in a somewhat distracted state, so I was a little confused for the first episode or two (wait, isn't that the same person who...?), but once I understood that I was seeing things out of order it was not hard to assemble the jigsaw puzzle.

They drop hints early on that the timelines are different but it's not easy to pick up on if you miss them until I'd say, about episode 3 or 4. I've read the books and played the games and I remember thinking in episode 1 "wait, doesn't the Renfri stuff happen years earlier?" but I wrote it off as "I guess they changed the timeline for the show." I completely missed that Renfri said something like "Over in Cintra" Queen Calanthe just won her first battle" and in the very next scene Calanthe tells Ciri "I won my first battle when I was your age.""

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #179 on: January 14, 2020, 09:10:29 AM

It's a lot easier to miss that stuff when you're still figuring out wtf everyone's name is.   swamp poop

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: January 14, 2020, 10:47:03 AM

I think I picked up on the time thing with a scene early on with Yennefer.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #181 on: January 14, 2020, 11:29:49 AM

Have you guys already seen this?

Official netflix website with map, timelines, bestiary etc.

https://www.witchernetflix.com/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: January 14, 2020, 02:14:29 PM

I think I picked up on the time thing with a scene early on with Yennefer.

Yeah, I think noticed the same thing.  Indicated she was way ahead of everything else.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: January 15, 2020, 11:13:30 AM

I noticed that the showrunners realize they made a goof by not having Jaskier/Dandelion age at all when he meets Geralt for a second time.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: January 15, 2020, 11:41:52 AM

The Witcher is what happens when people who give a shit is given a crap ton of money to make something. And make something great.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:39:59 PM by MediumHigh »
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: January 15, 2020, 11:54:54 AM

And believe me, while these first 8 episodes were a bit of a jumbled mess here and there in some aspects (editing, dialogues, fundamental choices about how to develop the three main characters etc.), if the showrunner will stick to what Sapkowski wrote, you will definitely be in for some really great and unique moments (the writer is kinda "derivative" but really adds some funny, personal touches which you might not expect), starting right from next season. Can't wait.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #186 on: January 15, 2020, 10:29:06 PM

So if I understand this correctly, the first book (or two?) are a collection of short stories about the Witcher's exploits.  Then they turn into full length novels?  Was the first season of this series based on one of the short story books, I'm assuming?

What time period do the games take place?  I'm assuming they can't be direct book adaptations.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: January 15, 2020, 11:10:05 PM

First two books are the stories. Netlfix took a few of them and mixed.
Then we have 5 books of saga.
And after that one more (Season of the storms). Which if I remember correctly happens some time during saga.

The games are based on the saga but not directly.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: January 16, 2020, 11:36:07 AM

Book 3-7 are full length novels, yes.

- The first season of the TV series has adapted some short stories from both the first and the second book of the saga. Showrunner and writers also came up with something entirely original, like Yennefer's "Origin story" which, in the books, is like....3 lines of writing in book 6 or 7 :P

- The TV series  "fast forwarded" to the end of book 2 when it comes to the fall of Cintra and Ciri storyline, otherwise we wouldn't have seen Ciri until season 2 of the TV series (and even toward the end of it).

- Regarding the overall timeline, the book saga ends with book 7 (called "The Lady of the Lake"), in the year 1265 or something; games take place AFTER the books, starting from Year 1270.

There is a "book 8" ("Seasons of Storms"), which Sapkowski published, like....20 years after book 7 (in 2018 or something) as a way to cash in from the growing success of the franchise thanks to the videogames. It is not not a sequel to book 7, but another collection of short stories that are slotted somewhere between the ones narrated in book 1.

Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: January 17, 2020, 06:31:45 AM

Some of the comments here sound like the general reception to The Expanse.

* Confusing, separate storylines (not temporally disconnected though)
* Editing, pacing in the first season
* Changes from the first book

I'll have to add this to show my watch list.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #190 on: January 20, 2020, 01:16:08 PM

The separate storylines happening in different times but shown simultaneously was done artfully in a way that I haven't seen before, rather than mishandled. It's challenging viewing rather than erroneous. They knew what they were doing with it (leading to a same-time conclusion).
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: January 21, 2020, 02:47:03 AM

The separate storylines happening in different times but shown simultaneously was done artfully in a way that I haven't seen before, rather than mishandled. It's challenging viewing rather than erroneous. They knew what they were doing with it (leading to a same-time conclusion).

I have to agree with this. It becomes a "oh wow" rather than "that was badly done" series of moments.

I'm working through the books at the moment, the showrunners seem to be on the ball and Cavill seems well and truly on point.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: January 23, 2020, 05:47:50 AM

When I figured out the times were different, everything clicked for me and it was a satisfying moment. Good on the show for that.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: January 23, 2020, 09:29:08 AM

One thing I like about the time differential is that it lets you see something like the murder and dispossession of the elves both in the immediate aftermath of it and in the longer-term consequences of it. It's also very clever in that you both see Geralt as this famous person with this huge reputation and see simultaneously the messy complexity of how he acquired that reputation without the use of flashbacks, etc.

That's a smart move for future seasons too, since it lets them drop new 'stories of Geralt and Yennefer' into different places in the timeline as appropriate rather than always be advancing the forward motion of the Ciri plotline in a relentless way.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #194 on: January 23, 2020, 09:39:59 AM

When I figured out the times were different, everything clicked for me and it was a satisfying moment. Good on the show for that.

My wife had that moment in Episode 3.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #195 on: February 05, 2020, 12:57:48 AM

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:00:38 AM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: February 18, 2020, 08:07:05 AM

Ah, they're adapting "A Grain of Truth" as one episode of Season 2 with Kristofer Hivju as Nivellen. Excellent.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #197 on: July 11, 2021, 01:55:44 PM

Season 2 teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aMVzFlApa0

December 17th.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #198 on: July 11, 2021, 02:26:16 PM

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #199 on: August 29, 2021, 06:09:04 PM

"The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf" (anime spin-off) launched on Netflix over the weekend and I watched it.

It's perfectly serviceable entertainment and a fine way to spend 83 minutes if you like fantasy tales. It made me want to rewatch season 1 of this.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #200 on: September 27, 2021, 11:23:20 AM

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: October 01, 2021, 04:45:50 PM

Lots of Season 1 footage in there.

I can't wait for December!

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #202 on: November 01, 2021, 02:41:15 PM

Season 2 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJFVV2L8GKs

Haven't read the books or watched Season 1 yet but seems kind of spoilery.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: November 01, 2021, 04:25:09 PM

Hm. No, not really, I don't think? If you got to the end of Season 1, the war was underway. I can see a couple of the stories they're adapting and like the game, the monster-centered ones are "procedurals", meaning that you gotta get into the guts of it to see what the twists are with the particular monster. The grand plot arc doesn't have that many surprises as yet, but the big developments are actually not in this at all really (Kaer Morhen, etc.)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: December 17, 2021, 05:17:58 AM

I started watching Season 2 and, putting aside plot points for a moment, there are a lot more nods to videogame Geralt: general mannerism, his "exchanges" with Płotka (Roach), even the style of Nilgaard armor is now full videogame.

It's not that surprising: as we probably already discussed in the past, there was lots of angst between Sapkowski and CD Projekt; thanks to some money involved, production seems no longer "embarassed" to adopt some of the excellent characterizations the videogames provided.

One suggestion, if you want to give it a try: watch it dubbed in Polish, it just feels *right*, and the voices are excellent.  Hell, playing Witcher 3 in polish brings it to an even higher level, IMO.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: December 19, 2021, 08:10:34 PM

Binging on it 2 episodes a night. Lots of nods to the games, some to the books. It's not as strong as S1, but still watchable.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: December 20, 2021, 10:21:21 AM

I really only had two thoughts, wait this is it and wait this is it?Huh I loved it, but the entire season felt like damage control. I also loved what they did with Ciri who instead of being annoying like in any other setting like this comes off as enduring without feeling older or suddenly wiser than her character suppose to be. You cheer for her because she wants to earn her place in the world and not because she is the "chosen".
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 21, 2021, 12:51:31 PM

I'm only about halfway into Season 2 but it feels like it is diverging fairly significantly from the books. It's been a while since I read them so I may be wrong but:

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: December 21, 2021, 05:15:21 PM

No, I agree. They have chucked the book continuity out and a lot of things just don't tell a good story, merely an adequate one. Triss and Yennifer's stories just don't really fit the storyline, Geralt is just being superman and saving the day with no good reason as to why he is super-witcher, Cahir's story is all over the place, and the final reveal was a complete let-down! It had none of the nuances of the books, none of the developing storyline and payoffs. I'm not saying they aren't telling a story in the series, it's just not a good story. It was far more nuanced and clever in Season 1.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #209 on: December 21, 2021, 05:39:21 PM

They seem to be grabbing the bits of the video games they like and flipping the bird to the books to do their own thing.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Witcher  
Jump to: