Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:02:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Dragon Quest XI - Square Enix - PS4 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest XI - Square Enix - PS4  (Read 11836 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: September 04, 2018, 11:17:46 AM

Aimed at 4 to 8 year-old kids, if you are in that age range then yes maybe it is fun.
But since you are reading this on f13 this is not fun.

Also, no Japanese voices? Get the fuck outta here!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 11:18:42 AM

Reserved for when I'll change my mind upon unhappily sinking hours into it.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 11:25:41 AM

Also, no Japanese voices? Get the fuck outta here!
The original Japan(ese) release has no VO. Hence no Japanese voices.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/07/25/square-enix-explains-dragon-quest-xi-wont-voice-acting/
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 12:08:49 PM

Ah good to know! I already muted the terrible English voice dub but this makes me less hostile.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 03:42:32 AM

Oi guv'nor what's not to like about the english dub you old scallywag?

Seriously though the english dub with the weird english accents has always been a weird ideosyncracy of the Dragon Quest series. DQ VIII had this as well.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:33:17 AM

I am 30 hours in and still hating this game. Why do you play you ask? Because I was really missing a very old turn based JRPG and because I can't get a refund, but I have no doubts that this is a 3 stars out 5 game, if not less. I am preparing a longer review where I specifically explain why this is being ridiculously overrated everywhere. (Well, except for this one)

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 12:29:41 PM

I put 64 hours into this game and it turns out I am not close to the ending (which appears to be the soft-ending as the real ending is another 20 hours, and that is not the real post-game) so I actually screamed "FUCK IT" out loud in real life and decided that I am done with this ans super qualified to call it a piece of shit.

I have a tendency to yell out the worst and then backtrack a little bit, so let's be fair once again and admit that it is not a terrible JRPG, but it is definitely not a good one. Sharply below average.

I'll tell you what I think with a bullet list to make this easy:

- The story is so incredibly bad and uninteresting that I have a hard time believing that's all they got.
- The first few characters you have to play with seem bad and dull on purpose, which if true means they are morons, and if it's not true means they are bad at writing games. Especially cause they are all you can play with for more than 20 hours.
- Eventually some slightly more interesting characters join, and you get more familiar with everybody so you hate the whole thing less, but barely.
- There are no real dialogues or interactions between characters and while this is common for very old RPGs at this point you are just experiencing the most railroaded journey ever with the most plain boring company in recent memory.
- The "journey" could be the only redeeming quality of this game. After all, you travel all around for such a long time that you get the feeling that you have been on a little odyssey. In that sense, the game being as long as it is, they achieve the result. TOO BAD THE WORLD AND THE PEOPLE IN IT ARE ALL SHIT.
- They couldn't stay away from the usual trope of traveling from very different regions that are shaped after real world locations. So you have fake-Italy, fake-Puerto Rico, fake Hawaii. I can't even begin to tell you how annoying these places are with all the fake-accents. Even Final Fantasy XV did that recently (fake Italy all over) but this gets the kiddie treatment, making all of these places as obnoxious as any toddler running around the house all day speaking with fake accents because it's fun. It's not.
- The monsters are so childish that you need a special palate for this stuff. It's not traditionally "anime", no it's a unique kind of baby crap.
- Itemization could be OK for a JRPG if it wasn't for the fact that armor does not appear on your characters except for a few unique costumes. So basically you go through the whole game with your party only changing appearance two or three times over the entire span of the 70+ hours.
- the UI is of course very bad when it comes to quality of life. Figuring out what you want to keep and what you want to discard is not easy, not fun, comparing items only works up to a point, and the whole item bag/equipment bag/personal inventory management is total bullshit.
- The world looks good at first because it's so extremely colorful, but it doesn't really has anything in terms of quality. Some places are nice to look at, some others are just bland and can't hide the overall very basic quality of everything. Very low poly, very low quality texture. We are talking about PS3 quality with nothing more than higher resolution and AA.
- In fact. graphics have been praised left and right, but they are not good at all. They are just looking fine at a glance because of HD, Antialiasing and lots of colours.
- The scripted movies are pretty much the (dubious) highlight of the game. You relax, enjoy a short anime-snippet made with the game engine, get to advance the plot and witness a few characters' interactions, but everything is sooooo unoriginal and uninteresting that you feel betrayed every single time you hoped that SOMETHING was eventually going to happen at some point. IT HAS TO, RIGHT? RIGHT?! No.
- The maps are bullshit. There are basically no dungeons whatsoever so forget dungeon crawling. Pretty much everything is in the open, no feeling ever of "getting deep" into an area. Everything is super open, easy to get in and out, easy to avoid, easy to grind easy to discover. The game is definitely too easy which is not a tragedy but it just feels like a progression task more than a game.
- That reminds me of material gathering and treasure sparkly spots. Oh man, so ridiculous. As I said the maps are not interesting, and not really worth exploring, so by placing some sparkly spots that you can always and easily see on the map (even though it takes two button presses to get there) they push you to walk around as much as possible. Not fun, nor stimulating, just pathetic.
- Side quests are a joke, but that's par for the course with most RPGs. The sooner you stop caring about them the better.

- Finally the combat. The reason I wanted to play this was the promise of a traditionl turn-based JRPG. And that is what I got. Unofrtunately, while keeping it traditional limited the amount of new ideas they could implement (to zero) they did not really refine it as they could have. Some mechanics feel stupid and rushed (powering up at absolutely random), or the fake battlefield where you can move your characters around the enemy.... except it doesn't do anything, It's just visual and the sooner you turn it off the better too. Mounts are another silly thing that adds nothing at all to the game and that feels tucked in.

Everything seems to be there when it comes to the ABC of turn-based JRPGs but between everything being too easy (seriously, I never died once and never even got closer to) but it is all so basic that it feels like an imitation more than a tribute to the genre.

I could go on and on. I actually wrote a list of all the things that were between poor and stupid but I lost it. I already wrote too much. Here's another incredibly overhyped game that makes you wonder if a lot of those reviewers have been paid. This game wouldn't piss me off so much if it got a 75% score across the board.

I give it a 6 out of 10 just because of the classic combat. Fuck this game.

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 05:15:43 PM

I just want to say, your English has really improved since we met.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 07:39:45 AM

just want to say, your English has really improved since we met.

FIFY

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 09:26:53 AM

I thought your English was quite good when we met!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 10:22:37 AM

Quite good for a Viklas!  why so serious?

Anyway thanks guys, it means a lot to me.

schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 10:53:11 AM

Hey, don't feel too great, it's not as good as the vegetarian lasagna in Calcata.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 01:49:36 PM

I could kill for a plate of those right now. Or for any Italian proper food actually.

schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 01:50:33 PM

it's so true

I want to a place called Il Brutto yesterday and it was like, fine, I guess.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 02:47:44 PM

I went to a place around here called "Ti amo" that so many people were recommending: "Oh no they are real Italian and the food is amazing you hve to go!". So I went, and it sucks SO BAD. It was packed, so the locals love it, and very expensive because that makes it feel more "exclusive". Yes, the owners are Italians but over time they must have realized that true authentic Italian, which is usually very simple food, food is what Americans love when they travel to Italy, but when they go back home they want tiny modifications to make it richer, and to make the list of ingredients on the menu longer to justify the high prices. So yes, Italian family from Italy and yet BULLSHIT stuff on the menu like "Strawberry chicken". I can't even. And everything was cooked in wine cause "aaah vono! Italiahhh"

I left them a bad review on Google Reviews where they unfortunately have a 4.3/5 score. So annoyed about the 60 dollars I dropped there. Hell, Nathalie did not even like their basic salad. It came pre-oiled. Idiots.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 04:47:19 PM

I left them a bad review on Google Reviews where they unfortunately have a 4.3/5 score. So annoyed about the 60 dollars I dropped there. Hell, Nathalie did not even like their basic salad. It came pre-oiled. Idiots.
I know that's not how they do it in Italy but the Italian way to dress a salad is wrong awesome, for real
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 04:48:15 PM

I am gonna leave you a bad review Trippy, as a human being.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 08:49:36 PM

China is working on a system to do just that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Dragon Quest XI - Square Enix - PS4  
Jump to: