Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:44:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Conan Exiles  |  Topic: Urban Planning 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Urban Planning  (Read 73159 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 10:16:11 PM

Damn do tier 3 buildings take a lot of shit.

Come raid my vault.

How and where do you get the map coordinates? I haven’t seen that on the 2 stickied maps above.

Edit:  nevermind.  Appears now.  Can we get some map mods working on the server?  I got a message server didn’t support mods.

There isn’t a good map mod last I looked (10ish days ago)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 07:07:37 PM

I'm having trouble placing building components together.  Particularly with roofing.  Is there some way to know if you have the right stability in place before trying to add another component.  In other words, is there a way to know that one piece will fit with another?  I'm trying to use triangular wall components with angled roof tiles.  Thanks.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 07:37:42 PM

I'm having trouble placing building components together.  Particularly with roofing.  Is there some way to know if you have the right stability in place before trying to add another component.  In other words, is there a way to know that one piece will fit with another?  I'm trying to use triangular wall components with angled roof tiles.  Thanks.

Had exactly the same problem. Ended up designing in "smoke vents." After all, I have open fires and foundries in the building, so I really should need them.

If you equip the repair hammer and press E (I think) near a block you will see stats for that block, including structural integrity. If the integrity is too low you can't attach another piece. As far as I can tell, sometimes it depends on the order you build. I've had success tearing stuff down and rebuilding in a slightly different order. Also the dang wooden beams (vertical) only support (as far as I can tell) if they project through your roof, not if you sensibly build them up to just touching the ceiling.

I've found you unconscious near my Shrine to Mitra, so you know where my manor is if you want to take a look.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 08:37:58 PM

Thanks very much for the tip I'll get a hammer and check out your build. 

I think I really should have spent more time designing and building out everything first in sandstone.  So damn expensive in Tier3.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 30, 2018, 10:06:31 AM

Also, as far as I can tell those downward pointing wedges can only be initially attached at the base, or short edge, and they have to have walled support. They may work off a beam too, haven't tried that.

It does add an extra "challenge" when you get to what looks like it should be an obvious and easy connection point that just won't connect...
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 30, 2018, 10:57:17 AM

I like trying to build off cliffs but it is really hard to fully grasp the rules of when it will let you extend another row of foundations outward.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #41 on: July 01, 2018, 06:32:57 PM

Still a lot of work to do before the grand opening...

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 01, 2018, 07:25:22 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: July 01, 2018, 07:46:10 PM

just hire teleku to do your stability shit
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 05, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

My roads are running from my riverside manor (J24) westward and then north into the desert. It skirts the what now seems abandoned settlement near (J22-21) and then progresses northward to where I have installed an elevator system to get over the high ridge at L17, there among the Sentinel statues and waterfalls. It's also about a hundred yards east of the somewhat hidden easy way to cross the ridge taking you into the forestlands on the way to the volcano. I did not know of this way up when I built the elevator. Also to the east of the elevator is the amazing Donk & Dong's House of Pain (M18?) which should be on everyone's tourist list. I plan on extending the line all the way to the volcano. Maybe tonight.

Also working to connect most of the southern islands with a road and bridge network so you never have to step in the water running east or west.

I'm building using sandstone, usually a block or two under basic torches. Haven't even set foot in the jungle yet. It looks scary.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: July 05, 2018, 11:23:44 AM

the jungle is a cakewalk
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #46 on: July 05, 2018, 01:15:40 PM

Oh snap -- I've been meaning to head north to try to get some leavening so I can make mead.  Your highway sounds like a useful route to follow.  I'll set out west from the galleon tonight and see how long it takes me to link it up.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 05, 2018, 01:59:23 PM

Oh snap -- I've been meaning to head north to try to get some leavening so I can make mead.  Your highway sounds like a useful route to follow.  I'll set out west from the galleon tonight and see how long it takes me to link it up.

I know I gathered a bunch of it while scouting just a little beyond my elevator point, so yeah that will work.

To be fair, if you go a little beyond my elevator and use the easy way up that goes right into a field of whatever those purple plants are that give the leavening agent, so that works too.

But since I spent an evening building that elevator it *will* be where the road goes....
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #48 on: July 05, 2018, 03:02:30 PM

Yeah, I started my highway off with the intent of making it a straight line, which meant having an elevator up the side of a giant cliff -- then once I actually used the elevator for the first time and saw how slow they are, I got a lot more flexible about going around things instead.    Ohhhhh, I see.

I gotta say this game does exploration better than most.  Even with the map built in, orienteering and figuring out the best paths between points is actually challenging enough to be fun. 

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 05, 2018, 08:10:17 PM

I have a bad tendency to lag off stairs right now, and rails on stairs are just for looks only -- no object collision.

Of course I've also had the dog jump up on me while using the elevator and backflip off it too, so....
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #50 on: July 07, 2018, 11:39:56 AM

The Great Dong Road is really taking shape.  It now goes all the way from Khaldun's place to Schild's place.

My bar is almost ready for business, just need to head north for that leavening so I can start up the meadery:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:51:13 PM by Samwise »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #51 on: July 07, 2018, 11:56:23 AM

This is the extent of the Dong Road that I've built so far.  I'm a little fuzzy on the exact route through the east (from Trad'r Sam's to the Bureau) as it relates to the map, but I know the torch path is navigable.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:00:37 PM by Samwise »

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 07, 2018, 02:01:10 PM

"My" Island is the little island at M24 that is shown as connected to the long island.

I am just noobin it up from there at the moment. Eventually I will join civilization elsewhere.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 07, 2018, 11:48:55 PM

This is the extent of the Dong Road that I've built so far.  I'm a little fuzzy on the exact route through the east (from Trad'r Sam's to the Bureau) as it relates to the map, but I know the torch path is navigable.

I ran a short spur up from that terrifying bridge at the Black Galleon north to my road running from the House of Pain to the elevator over the Sentinels (and then south). Our roads are officially connected now, although mine still needs a bit of work in some areas. Feel free to run it and let me know how easy it is to follow. I can do it in the dark, but then I built it so I know where to expect twists and turns.

I also need to craft some signs to make directions easier.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #54 on: July 08, 2018, 05:23:05 AM

Guess I should finish the last little bit to connect my base over to it.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #55 on: July 08, 2018, 12:51:18 PM

Oh yeah, I totally drew that path to the Bureau wrong, it cuts east through the Bay of Hulks or whatever and then north through the swamp past the Inlet of the Hook.  Spent this morning building horizontal elevators across all the water crossings on that route which is why it's fresher in my head now.  The only part of the road that requires swimming now is the western approach to Trad'r Sam's, and I'm gonna do that one next.

Will definitely go check out the new highway connections next time I'm on.

that terrifying bridge at the Black Galleon

why so serious? I went splat so many times building that thing, let me tell you.  It's got those horrible bends in it to avoid the Galleon's no-build zone (at least I think that's what was screwing me up).  At some point I might go back and widen it out and add railings so it's a little less scary.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:28:33 PM by Samwise »

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 08, 2018, 04:25:06 PM

You need more torches along the route. I ran it from West to East mostly at night (I crossed the narrow bridge of doom just as it got dark). And you need to mark some kind of path past Trad'r Sam's.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #57 on: July 08, 2018, 11:08:05 PM

Oh yeah, bridge of doom needs more light, good point.  It's a little treacherous at night if you don't have your own torch.

Did you find that you ever got to a torch and weren't able to see the next one?  As I place them I always look back and make sure I can still see the previous one as I'm planting the next, but maybe the draw distance varies between clients.  I like Mandella's tactic of putting them on elevated blocks to make them stand out a little more.

The path to the Bureau after Trad'r Sam's is along the river, at the bottom of the elevator.  I'll add another sign by the elevator with an arrow...

I went and checked out the House of Pain/Pleasure via the northern route -- can't believe I hadn't seen that place before!  Puts my little bar to shame.   Sad Panda  Who even made that thing?  I didn't recognize the name.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:37:54 AM by Samwise »

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 09, 2018, 11:35:44 AM

Oh yeah, bridge of doom needs more light, good point.  It's a little treacherous at night if you don't have your own torch.

Did you find that you ever got to a torch and weren't able to see the next one?  As I place them I always look back and make sure I can still see the previous one as I'm planting the next, but maybe the draw distance varies between clients.  I like Mandella's tactic of putting them on elevated blocks to make them stand out a little more.

The path to the Bureau after Trad'r Sam's is along the river, at the bottom of the elevator.  I'll add another sign by the elevator with an arrow...

I went and checked out the House of Pain/Pleasure via the northern route -- can't believe I hadn't seen that place before!  Puts my little bar to shame.   Sad Panda  Who even made that thing?  I didn't recognize the name.

The House of Pain is built by Yoru and wife, whom I suspect are totally burned out after spending so much time and effort in building that marvel. I think they might have lost a couple of guard thralls too from desert rippers (aptly named since the models are ripped off from Secret World) that used to be standing in front.

I love their garden rooms.

The torches can sometimes take a while to "pop." When running forward I often don't see the light from them until I am nearly on them. I'm sure it's a view distance lag thing. I try to place mine so that if you stop at one and look around for a few seconds you will see the next, but then I have my draw distance set out pretty far so that might be a problem on my road too if someone is running at a lesser range.

In other news they apparently changed how palisades work. The good is that they don't take as many branches as before, but the bad is that apparently you can no longer slightly overlap them. So when I pulled out one unit to adjust it a bit it means I had to rebuild the whole line, and since they can no longer overlap it just looks sloppier.

I'm sure people were just stacking palisades by the hundreds making an impervious barrier that disintegrated anything that touched them, so they felt it needed to be "fixed."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #59 on: July 09, 2018, 12:01:13 PM

I added a shitton of torches and signs at the confusing intersection under Trad'r Sam's.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  Also more horizontal elevator goodness.  I don't even use them half the time since they go at about the same speed as swimming, but if nothing else they're a much better "CROSS RIVER HERE" indicator than a torch at the water's edge, and they look better than bridges IMO.

(edit) oo, maybe I should try to replace the Bridge of Doom with a series of elevators....  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  Being able to use the existing bridge as scaffolding would make that project pretty easy.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:16:54 PM by Samwise »

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 11, 2018, 11:59:00 AM

Mostly got the southern road run south of the river last night. Man, we got a lot of half completed "first houses" down there. I'm not saying we should clean them up -- I kinda think they blend in with the concept that most exiles just don't make it. You get eaten by something halfway through trying to put a wall up.

On a related note, if any of my roads are blocking construction of anywhere anyone would like to build just let me know and I'll change it up promptly.

I actually like that Conan Exiles makes you work your orientating skills -- I wouldn't want an ingame mini-map mod at all.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #61 on: July 11, 2018, 03:04:15 PM

I actually like that Conan Exiles makes you work your orientating skills -- I wouldn't want an ingame mini-map mod at all.

Same.  The fact that discovering and blazing trails is actual gameplay in a game about being exiled to a hostile wilderness is fantastic.  The cooperative aspect of being able to mark those trails for other people to discover organically as they follow in your footsteps is wonderful icing.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 11, 2018, 06:44:10 PM

I just want a damn compass.

schild
Administrator

Reply #63 on: July 11, 2018, 08:54:43 PM

fuck ya'll I want a map
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #64 on: July 13, 2018, 11:59:21 AM

Speaking of maps, how feasible would it be to build map rooms in relatively obvious locations near each obelisk so they could form a fast travel network?  Are they all in the middle of giant no-build zones like the one in the Unnamed City (which is the only one I've been to so far)?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #65 on: July 13, 2018, 12:32:02 PM

It's actually pretty feasible. On my own server, I've built a castle with a map room that is visible from the obelisk at the Sinkhole, and a buddy of mine built a base within like 200 feet of the obelisk at the Mounds of the Dead and at the Southern Jungle Obelisk (Dagon's Eye I think). The no-build zones around the obelisks are not very large.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #66 on: July 13, 2018, 12:47:56 PM

Time to see how long it takes to scrounge together the stuff for a map room then.  I guess as long as you've got one near your spawn point it doesn't actually matter if there's one near an obelisk, I just like the idea of being able to fast-travel around the world without respawn-cheesing.

schild
Administrator

Reply #67 on: July 13, 2018, 01:23:40 PM

Hm. I could put map rooms near every obelisk if that's a thing people want.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 13, 2018, 05:58:03 PM

Sure.  Also are there any build limits on elevators?  Could hypothetically cart ourselves over mountains and all over the map?
schild
Administrator

Reply #69 on: July 13, 2018, 07:33:05 PM

there almost certainly has to be a max, but I have no clue what it is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Conan Exiles  |  Topic: Urban Planning  
Jump to: