Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Incredibles 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Incredibles 2  (Read 7078 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

on: June 12, 2018, 08:28:14 AM

Let's talk about the biggest movie event of the year.

To kick off we'll go back to that old trope, rating Pixar movies.  The linked list is a prime example of what happens when journalists/movie critics rank Pixar movies. UP is just not that fucking good and Wall-E should not be 2nd. Fucking hell.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 08:43:00 AM

Correct.  Wall-E should be #1, easily.

Also, you have no soul.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:49:10 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 11:17:25 AM

The Incredibles is the best Fantastic Four movie ever made.  Without seeing it, Incredibles 2 is second on that list.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:57:38 PM

Correct.  Wall-E should be #1, easily.

Also, you have no soul.   awesome, for real

Wall-E is a good to great movie.

Is it better than Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, Incredibles, and/or Toy Story 1 or 3?

No.

I'll fight you.  awesome, for real

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:42:23 AM

I certainly agree that Wall-E and Toy Story 1 are the top two; I'm not sure I can really choose a winner between the two.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 02:36:45 AM

UP is just not that fucking good and Wall-E should not be 2nd. Fucking hell.

Every word of this is wrong.

(though believing wall-e should be first is an acceptable opinion)

Up gets far too much shit from a forum that has posters unironically defending everything from First Contact to Thor 2.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:39:38 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 04:44:03 AM

UP is a fucking awful movie.

Just Fucking Awful.

I'm not intending to fight anyone, but this is quite a firm belief on my part.  I ain't shifting opinion for no-one.

Wall-E is an interesting one.  I like it a lot and it has a lot of charm and it works really quite well, but is it better than Toy Story ?  Yes.  Yes, it is.  Is it better than Toy Story 2 ?  No.  No, it is not.

Toy Story 3 can suck a dick though.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 04:52:01 AM

UP is just not that fucking good and Wall-E should not be 2nd. Fucking hell.

Every word of this is wrong.

(though believing wall-e should be first is an acceptable opinion)

Up gets far too much shit from a forum that has posters unironically defending everything from First Contact to Thor 2.

What's wrong with Thor 2?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 04:54:23 AM

UP is a fucking awful movie.

Let me just make the argument that it's... SQUIRREL!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 05:15:16 AM

I thought the beginning of UP was great, but the latter half was mediocre at best.

I haven't actually seen WALL-E, so no comment. Its gotta be better than Frozen though...

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 06:15:39 AM

What's wrong with Thor 2?

It feels like it is about 15 hours long and the only interesting plot point is Loki taking over Asgard - which happens entirely off screen.

Everything on earth screams of a no budget afterthought that they didn't have the confidence to drop entirely, and the big fight at the end would have worked better as an episode of Dr Who.

To be fair it kept me awake for most of the first viewing. But on a second sitting it is just turgid.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:39:57 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 08:12:23 AM

Thor 2 is shit because its pretty bad. Everything going through the motions the big threatening villain was beaten by a aluminum radio dish built by jane foster in her basement. The big cgi booo-raa-raa was un-inspired and the major plot elements like Thor mother dying, and Loki dying heroically, was...not that inspired either. The most interesting moment was an after credit scene. They honestly had no real idea what to do with Thor his part of the marvel universe and nearly convinced us that no we don't want anymore thor solo movies. Luckily they changed directors and course corrected but holy fuck was that movie a waste of time.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 07:12:20 AM

fucking derailers.

No one ever rewatches Up, everyone slobbers over it because of the opening scene. It did however give us the cone of shame and..SQUIRREL. That's it.

Look Wall-E is good to great. I can sit and watch that movie any time. I can also do the same with Ratatouille.

Toy Story 3 was fucking great. Lotso Huggin Bear, Latino Buzz, The incinerator scene, Mr Tortilla head and that last scene? I've seen 60 year old men bawl their eyes out at that movie.

Also we haven't even mentioned Inside Out, holy fuck THAT movie.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 10:35:30 AM

Glad to see I'm not the only one that found UP to be pretty boring. First five minutes were complete Art, the rest of it... meh.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 12:35:35 PM

UP starts strong but only goes DOWN from there.

Heyo! I'll be here all week, tip your waitress.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 06:26:22 PM

The short shown before the movie was... uh... something else.

ACK!

The movie is very good.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 11:00:26 PM

I actually thought the short was pretty good.   Weird animated metaphor with that twist at the end, yes, but still pretty good.   Don't think anything will ever beat La Luna for me though.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 01:43:32 AM

The short was ok but we took our 2 10yos and our 8yo and TBH they wern't impressed with it.

Incredibles 2 was ok but nothing to write home about. I loved the first one but the best thing about the second was the car... and the credits rolling at the end. It just didn't have the same feel as the first which to me was faster paced and an easy watch. Tedious but inoffensive would be my summary.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 01:55:54 AM

I havn't seen II yet, but I got the distinct impression from the first one that the director would be quite happy in making a Bioshock movie, only Andrew Ryan is the hero. Does II change that view?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 04:01:38 AM

Is it better than Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, Incredibles, and/or Toy Story 1 or 3?

No.

Yes.

Having children I have a completely new view on Pixar movies, Finding Dory is better than Finding Nemo because trying to explain to a 3 and 4 year old why Nemos mother got eaten by a barracuda in the first ten minutes is not a fun ride. Also fuck Toy Story one, you know the one where a child tortures and imprisons Toys, I mean I always thought Toy Story 2 was superior but now I have evidence.

In terms of fun for all family Wall-e is an outlier, there just isn't enough quality films out that actually cater for all ages and the fact that I get to explain concepts like why it's a good idea to treat our planet with respect makes it our number one family film of all time.
Also Coco is better than all those movies you just mentioned, bar maybe the original Incredibles.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 08:26:00 AM

My kid asked to watch Wall-e when he about 8. I said sure, expecting him to be back in 10 minutes asking for something else. But no, he was glued to it from start to finish. That changed my view of the movie, that something so slow-paced and with so little dialogue could keep an 8-year old completely involved was impressive.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 12:43:20 PM

No.

Yes.

Having children I have a completely new view on Pixar movies, Finding Dory is better than Finding Nemo because trying to explain to a 3 and 4 year old why Nemos mother got eaten by a barracuda in the first ten minutes is not a fun ride. Also fuck Toy Story one, you know the one where a child tortures and imprisons Toys, I mean I always thought Toy Story 2 was superior but now I have evidence.

In terms of fun for all family Wall-e is an outlier, there just isn't enough quality films out that actually cater for all ages and the fact that I get to explain concepts like why it's a good idea to treat our planet with respect makes it our number one family film of all time.
Also Coco is better than all those movies you just mentioned, bar maybe the original Incredibles.

For anyone with aging parents/grandparents, coco is devastating.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 04:26:57 PM

I like Coco but wasn't blown away but I'm going to have to rewatch. I didn't care much for Ratatouille on first watch and now I'm more likely to sit down and watch a random cable showing of that than Shawshank..

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 10:32:22 PM

I like Coco but wasn't blown away but I'm going to have to rewatch. I didn't care much for Ratatouille on first watch and now I'm more likely to sit down and watch a random cable showing of that than Shawshank..
Ratatouille is probably among my top 4 pixar movies. (Incredibles 1, cars, Ratatouille, Inside Out, in no particular order).  Something about the overall story and the message they were going for just sticks with me.  I also think that the monologue review on Critics at the end when the Gourmet Critic finally does his review is probably one of the best written pieces I have ever seen in an animated work, ever.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 12:44:42 AM

I enjoyed this one.  It's been long enough since seeing the first that I can't say whether I liked it more or less, but it was good IMO.  My only complaint was that I saw the twist coming about ten minutes into the movie -- but it's a kid's movie, whatever.  It was fun.

I havn't seen II yet, but I got the distinct impression from the first one that the director would be quite happy in making a Bioshock movie, only Andrew Ryan is the hero. Does II change that view?

I would say yes.  The movie actually makes what I read as pointed jabs at objectivism and wealthy privilege -- there's a line at one point about "these politicians can't imagine that anyone would do something simply because it's the right thing to do, so you make them nervous," and another about "they're rich, they'll get off with a slap on the wrist."  My whole theater broke into cheers at that last one.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 12:38:11 PM

Just saw this. Like Sam I haven't seen the original in ages, but this one was fun. The kids liked it too, so it's an overall win.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 30, 2018, 05:34:42 AM

I want to see it but i am prone to seizures and heard this one got a warning on it. Fuck me, right?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 30, 2018, 09:54:10 AM

There are some sites that tell you how far into the movie that scene is and give you a few visual clues that will let you identify when you need to close the eyes tight to avoid it.  

A decent movie.  I liked the first better.  It felt a bit like they were just wandering a bit further down the path of the first film rather than telling a new self sufficient story, but it was fun.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:20:27 AM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 30, 2018, 12:43:59 PM

I want to see it but i am prone to seizures and heard this one got a warning on it. Fuck me, right?

Mm, I would avoid then if I were you.  There are at least... two scenes? that I can think of that could possibly be seizure inducing.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 05:28:22 PM

I really enjoyed it and yet felt slightly disappointed by it. I guess it's because Bird really simply replayed the first in some ways.

I would have liked him to do something more imaginative. Say, really come head on at the idea that a world without Supers is a world at peace. Because from what I can see, that's kind of true? The world has not gone to shit. The Underminer has been doing nothing for? five? ten? years. Nobody else has been doing things that the powers that be can't cope with. Apparently. Rather than sending Elastigirl to Metropolis, it might have been more interesting if they sent her to Gary, Indiana (or Gotham City)--a place that's suffered because Supers can't really operate.

Bird is a bit stuck on his Randianism, I think--he replays the basic argument of the first movie (Supers keep mundanes/takers under foot because Supers should just be mundanes). The basic argument is that the Incredibles should be Incredible because they're Incredible. Not really because there are problems to solve that only they can solve. The world is kind of ok, apparently, in the absence of these folks. Bird wants it to be about their freedom: they should be allowed to run fast, be strong, stretch, be invisible, etc. without restraint. Ok! That's fun, but...
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 01:03:32 PM

I enjoyed that a lot and a lot more than I thought I would.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Incredibles 2  
Jump to: