Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:32:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077  (Read 104237 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #490 on: January 26, 2021, 04:55:36 PM

V's pretty much a blank slate you project your own shit on. If he or she sucks as a character, that's kinda on you, cochise.

That said, I found a pink hat with bunny ears, goggles and shiny bows. I now run around night city setting punks on fire while wearing it. Female V with the "Tell Me I'm Cute" hat is now canon.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: January 27, 2021, 05:12:01 AM

V's pretty much a blank slate you project your own shit on. If he or she sucks as a character, that's kinda on you, cochise.
Having him voiced really makes that untrue, although 2077 is less bad than Mass Effect was in that regard. As others have said, V is kind of in between Dragonborn and Shepard and it's mostly fine, but he's not a blank slate by any means.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #492 on: January 27, 2021, 05:18:45 AM

I was originally trying to head canon a 'Deacon from Days Gone is now a Nomad' thing (I mean, being a Nomad was a big part of his well-developed character). Not only did the mess of story cuts and thin options throw that out the window, but the voice acting brings me out of any head canon I may have brewing at any particular time.

I still haven't been back to play it since I finished up poking around the map, due to my primary issue with the game: I've been held hostage in un-saveable story missions twice now, and that's not acceptable. My playtime comes in chunks, and when it's time to duck out, there's no wiggle room (back to work on lunch, get to bed on time, etc). It's pushed me to rush through those segments when I'm pressed for time, which kinda ruins it.

If I had it on PS4, I could use the magic button to pause it, but the pc version is sol.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: January 27, 2021, 07:31:53 AM

That said, I found a pink hat with bunny ears, goggles and shiny bows. I now run around night city setting punks on fire while wearing it. Female V with the "Tell Me I'm Cute" hat is now canon.

Except there isn't enough variety in V's decision making matrix for his decisions to be mine. There is enough variety to the reactions to my dialogue choices for V story to be mine. I just wished they went all in on making V an actual person instead of half assing it.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #494 on: January 27, 2021, 10:58:18 AM

Fair. Though, I did find that if you dicked around and did all the side content before progressing through the main story and got to a higher level with more experience, you had a few more conversation options to work with.

And that Dream On side job? Solid writing. I want more shit like that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: January 27, 2021, 03:05:43 PM

That's the one with the mayoral candidate? That's the best-written quest arc in the game, I think--good choices, complicated feelings, expresses the gameworld's mood. If they'd built out from it more (there are other quests that hint at connections to it that feel under-explored) it could have been the Bloody Baron of this game.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: January 28, 2021, 10:56:28 AM

That's the one with the mayoral candidate? That's the best-written quest arc in the game, I think--good choices, complicated feelings, expresses the gameworld's mood. If they'd built out from it more (there are other quests that hint at connections to it that feel under-explored) it could have been the Bloody Baron of this game.

The mayor quest was the biggest case of blue balls in gaming. I was looking for one quest, just one side quest as good as the ones in the Witcher 3 and the moment they have one they literally say "nope fuck you hahaha"
glennshin
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: March 29, 2021, 07:43:14 PM

Here was my corposlut playthrough (modded)

It's only been a handful of months, but mods have steadily allowed the removal of almost all annoyances (crouch vingette, double tap to holster, double tap to dodge, hairsytle/character edit, custom vehicles).  Love the RP flavored mods like Turn Off computer screen.

It just feels sooooo damn obvious that these cyberlimb visual enhancements should have been in the game.

Just look at how cool that shit is!!

My only hope now is that they release full mod tools so that the modders would keep this world alive for the coming decades.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #498 on: February 16, 2022, 08:27:48 PM

The next gen console/new update dropped yesterday.

It's not bad. The graphics update on the PS5 is spectacular. Driving now uses the haptics in the new controllers and the the little story tweaks, like the extra texts from the people you romanced is worth it.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: February 18, 2022, 10:59:41 PM

It's not bad. The graphics update on the PS5 is spectacular. Driving now uses the haptics in the new controllers and the the little story tweaks, like the extra texts from the people you romanced is worth it.

I'd go so far as to say it is almost literally game-changing. The game feels different in a very good way. It's much more immersive and the changes to perks and such make it feel much more like a true RPG. If they'd launched the game in this shape I think it's reception would have been much more positive to be honest.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #500 on: February 18, 2022, 11:07:29 PM

I'd go so far as to say it is almost literally game-changing. The game feels different in a very good way. It's much more immersive and the changes to perks and such make it feel much more like a true RPG. If they'd launched the game in this shape I think it's reception would have been much more positive to be honest.

It's mostly positive with over 400k reviews all-time on Steam. I think the reception ended up pretty fine. I returned it once, but I might rebuy it because of this patch. I don't know. CDPR just doesn't seem to make games for me.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #501 on: February 19, 2022, 02:10:12 PM

One of the little things that stands out is how much trash loot they removed - a heck of a lot. It really cleans up the experience.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #502 on: February 19, 2022, 09:38:12 PM

Panam sent my male V a naked selfie and Judy's Abuela interrogated my female V via text. shit is good. if it wasn't for Forbidden West and Witch Queen, I'd start another run from scratch.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: February 22, 2022, 06:48:24 AM

Since my last comment was about cut-scenes and other sequences turning off the save system for long periods of time....this was also annoying me again over the weekend. Once again I ended up rushing through a lot of story just so I could turn off the game and cook dinner.

But the real beef is the continued lack of respec for abilities. Turning the fun minigame of designing character builds into agonizing decisions with irreversible wrong choices.

I enjoyed the game the first time I played it and made pretty good progress through the story. Now, with full RT effects on the pc, it looks amazing, I think the gameplay tweaks mostly work, it's a good experience. Until it comes time to spend an ability point.

As a side note, I feel like raytracing delivers such an improved visual it's like the first time seeing shaders or normal maps. It just elevates the experience and pushes the verisimilitude of it. Just have to wait for the hardware to catch up, I'm playing at 1440/30 and using dlss...but all quality stuff is cranked and runs smooth af at those settings (I could probably push the res but I like to keep my thermals well below redline in my shitty pc case).

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #504 on: February 22, 2022, 06:29:51 PM

I went with a tech/body/agility build for the run where I ended up going Nova with Johnny. It got me through with no real issues.

And by endgame, I had more than enough eddies to respect a few times if I needed to.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: February 23, 2022, 06:48:44 AM

I went with a tech/body/agility build for the run where I ended up going Nova with Johnny. It got me through with no real issues.

And by endgame, I had more than enough eddies to respect a few times if I needed to.
Respec perks, though, not abilities (unless there's a late game mechanism I am unaware of?). It's not about 'getting through' the game. I made it a good way through the plot the 1st time I played with some 1h blunt + speed build that was insane, even with a lot of trash points because of the lack of respec, that was keeping me from a few perks I wanted.

There's just no reason to punish people at this point in gaming. I like my character build and was thinking of that original character when I rolled this one, having to restart the entire game just to respec the points I initially put into Body is just stupid (at the time I had strong regerts it was maybe a dozen hours into the game).

They've improved a lot, so it's an even more glaring omission. That, and cosmetic gear. Pleeeease stop the cyberhobos.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #506 on: June 16, 2023, 09:10:25 PM

Phantom Liberty drops in September

John Carpenter's Escape From Night City and you're V Plissken.

https://youtu.be/reABCMNGM3w

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: June 17, 2023, 02:57:56 AM

Phantom Liberty drops in September

John Carpenter's Escape From Night City and you're V Plissken.

https://youtu.be/reABCMNGM3w

I had the exact same thought! Not that I mind really. I'm intrigued by the near total overhaul that's apparently coming, like all the skills changing and stuff. And the expansion apparently adds a new ending to the base game according to one of the devs.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #508 on: September 03, 2023, 03:45:00 PM

I've justifiably given this game a lot of shit, but with the DLC trailer from Gamescom they dropped a couple weeks back, I'm actually pretty hyped to dive back in soon. A lot of the improvements mentioned in the video are apparently getting added to the game in the 2.0 update which doesn't have a date yet but they've said that it will release at some point prior to the DLC launch on the 26th. I don't want to get myself overhyped for this thing (again) but it does look like it has a shot at finally living up to its potential.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: September 03, 2023, 05:12:53 PM

As long as I can drive a car without feeling like I'm Peter Dinklage peering over a monster truck dashboard, I'm in for it.

But no, I'm really into this--I liked the original a lot anyway and never understood what all the hysteria was about.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: September 04, 2023, 09:35:40 AM

As long as I can drive a car without feeling like I'm Peter Dinklage peering over a monster truck dashboard, I'm in for it.

But no, I'm really into this--I liked the original a lot anyway and never understood what all the hysteria was about.

They were a victim of their own marketing. They made the game look like the most amazing RPG and Cyberpunk game ever made. Instead it was...good after lots of patches.

They should have ignored the Xbox One and PS4 and let it bake for another year or so so it'd have a smoother, more polished launch. And their marketing department should have toned things down.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #511 on: September 04, 2023, 11:10:09 AM

I don't think marketing had much to do with it. The game had legitimate issues. A lot of them. I managed to have some fun with the game despite the myriad of issues, but the myriad of issues were there. We don't need to rehash all of them (just reread the thread, or better yet read through all the previous patch notes), but the game released almost 3 years ago and they had to spend all that time fixing and improving the base game and are only just now going to release the first (and what seems to be only) paid DLC. They didn't spend all that time fixing the game rather than selling new content because there was some sort of irrational hysteria or because they didn't set expectations properly, they did it because realistically the game was released a couple years too early.

It's fantastic that they might have finally helped the game reach its potential, and I'm absolutely looking forward to a new run through and seeing all the improvements. I'm anticipating this more than I'm looking forward to playing Starfield when that releases on XGP in a couple days. I'm not going to revise history though and say that the game was great all along and people just didn't realize it or had their expectations set too high.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #512 on: September 04, 2023, 01:25:05 PM

Expectations were super high, and the fuckups were disastrous enough that it probably should have bankrupted the company. After all, I'm one of the biggest fans of Cyberpunk 2020, and was very close to pre-ordering the game. I was planning on buying it upon release, and all the negative press about how fucked up the game was kept me not only from buying it on release, but buying it period. I didn't finally knuckle down and buy it until 2 years later, and I bought it on a half-price sale. The game I bought and played is absolutely most of what should have been released, and they should have realized that when they decided not to delay it. Fuck's sake, they had to pull the PS4 version because of how fucked up it was. I'm glad the PC version didn't have quite as many issues but even to this day, it still has issues I wouldn't tolerate in other games I'm less interested in.

The vehicle handling is so bad, I haven't bought any new vehicles, and what's worse, I spend most of my vehicle time on Jackie's Arch bike, the first motorcycle you get. There are parts of the game where it stutters and slows to a stop because the game can't render those parts (my computer is 6 years old, so that's understandable). It's mostly large open areas with lots of water or vegetation such as the city center park and the indoor garden in Arasaka Tower near the end. There are times where I seem to cross a boundary that loads new terrain and my character will just skate out of my control until everything loads. I still get pop-in in places and some crashes. It's only because of the quality of storytelling and atmosphere that I haven't totally slagged it off.

Knowing that, I still plan on buying Phantom Liberty when I get a new computer, and I'm super happy that they ditched the Red engine for future Cyberpunk and Witcher releases in favor of Unreal engine. It won't magically rid them of fuckups, but at least they won't be developing an engine underneath a game.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: September 04, 2023, 05:18:49 PM

I never drove anything but a motorbike after launch, but I'm not salty about it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #514 on: September 15, 2023, 12:13:01 AM

2.0 drops on the 21st, and they also put out some more trailers include some where devs talk about some of the possible new character builds. One showed the ability to remote hack a car and then send it speeding into someone. Clearly not something that's going to have any use for indoor missions but damned if it doesn't look like a fun thing to do. That's my thought on a lot of the abilities they've shown really, especially most of the melee stuff. A lot of it seems like really fun stuff to play around with, but if you're min/maxing I don't know that there's anything that's going to top the efficiency with which you could just kill people with various hacks or guns. Nothing wrong with adding a bunch of fun options though, especially since most people playing are going to be on their 2nd playthrough minimum. And hey, it's nice to get to play around with 2.0 for just under a week before deciding on if it feels worthwhile to buy the DLC.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: September 15, 2023, 05:10:02 AM

2.0 drops on the 21st, and they also put out some more trailers include some where devs talk about some of the possible new character builds. One showed the ability to remote hack a car and then send it speeding into someone. Clearly not something that's going to have any use for indoor missions but damned if it doesn't look like a fun thing to do. That's my thought on a lot of the abilities they've shown really, especially most of the melee stuff. A lot of it seems like really fun stuff to play around with, but if you're min/maxing I don't know that there's anything that's going to top the efficiency with which you could just kill people with various hacks or guns. Nothing wrong with adding a bunch of fun options though, especially since most people playing are going to be on their 2nd playthrough minimum. And hey, it's nice to get to play around with 2.0 for just under a week before deciding on if it feels worthwhile to buy the DLC.

Did you look at the character builder they mentioned? I did and it's convinced me I might need to do a whole new playthrough to experiment with the new builds. There are some big changes. I already knew there would be but they're even bigger than I anticipated. Pistols and sniper rifles are under cool now, for example. Technical no longer has any crafting perks that I saw and is all about grenades, tech weapons and cyberware.

There are enough changes that I might start an all new playthrough just for patch 2.0, let alone Phantom Liberty.

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/build-planner?a=33333&b=&r=&i=&t=&c=&e=

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #516 on: September 15, 2023, 08:24:05 AM

I've glanced through the character builder but haven't really started to put together any builds yet. IIRC you need to get to some point in Act 2 to get to the DLC stuff so I plan to at least get a playthrough that far in the five or so days before the DLC launches.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: September 15, 2023, 11:30:02 PM

I've glanced through the character builder but haven't really started to put together any builds yet. IIRC you need to get to some point in Act 2 to get to the DLC stuff so I plan to at least get a playthrough that far in the five or so days before the DLC launches.

Yeah you need to be in Act 2 and I think you need to have done at least some of the Voodoo Boys main quest missions.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #518 on: September 16, 2023, 02:21:40 AM

I wonder how the DLC will fit in a complete new run for someone who never played the game. Basically, if going through the DLC stuff would confuse the main story or they are separate enough that you can play the game without knowing what's DLC and what was vanilla and not notice seams or inconsistencies.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #519 on: September 16, 2023, 10:48:46 AM

I think it's meant to fit in seamlessly at the same level of completeness as the romance/companion options (Judy, River, Panam, and Kerry). All of them are optional but a really involved quest chain. Dogtown is supposed to be the same way.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: September 16, 2023, 01:02:46 PM

I think it's meant to fit in seamlessly at the same level of completeness as the romance/companion options (Judy, River, Panam, and Kerry). All of them are optional but a really involved quest chain. Dogtown is supposed to be the same way.

I think Mister Hand is the fixer for Dogtown so my guess is once you're at a point in the game where you can do the DLC he'll call and say something about a mission in Dogtown. I suspect you'll get some generic seeming mission that takes you there and then you'll get dragged into the rest of it somehow.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #521 on: September 16, 2023, 07:18:22 PM

I think the trigger is the President's plane goes down over your head while you are doing a mission in Dogtown.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: September 30, 2023, 06:35:21 PM

So I finished the new expansion and the new ending it adds. The expansion was pretty darn good and really showed what the game could have been if they hadn't made the assinine decision to launch it on the Xbox One and PS4 as well as next gen consoles. (and let it bake for a year or two longer!) The new ending is pretty good and feels fitting except for one bit of character assassination of a major NPC.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #523 on: October 01, 2023, 07:08:42 PM

Fucking great.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: October 01, 2023, 07:46:25 PM

Fucking great.

Sounds like you took a different path than I did towards the end.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Cyberpunk 2077  
Jump to: