Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:55:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 98056 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #420 on: October 24, 2019, 07:08:09 AM

This is their solution to not giving customers their own servers. It speaks volumes to the stability of and pride in the product.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #421 on: October 24, 2019, 08:57:24 AM

Still smells like greed, but not exclusive to your assertions.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: October 24, 2019, 10:08:13 AM

This reminds me that I want to go back to Conan a little.

I've still got our gameworld saved, if no one else has a copy.

Just sayin'...
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: October 24, 2019, 10:14:06 AM

So Forbes has an article on this. I love Fallout and the Elder Scrolls, especially once I mod the hell out of them. I even enjoy Fallout 76 for what it is. But this...this is ridiculous:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/10/24/fallout-76s-premium-private-servers-are-not-private-its-scrap-box-is-deleting-scrap/amp/?fbclid=IwAR2dkDuwZixVl_rm5H0WmM85ApztkCkvQfVeps2Tfdqv_cx92fFaHiI2qT0

My favorite money quotes:

There are a few issues cropping up here. Fallout 1st players are finding that a “newly created” world they might be heading into is not actually new at all. Players are reporting dead NPCs and looted areas when they get there, implying that these are not actually new instances, but instead re-used old instances masquerading as brand new private worlds.

And this confirms the rumors I'd heard about the new stash boxes:

Multiple players are reporting that they have deposited hundreds of units of scrap in these new boxes, only to find that the box has eaten it. The scrap disappears from the instance, and can’t be found again from re-logging or anything. It’s just gone. Players are not amused at the fact that they have now paid for the privilege of losing all of their materials, and so far, there does not seem to be any way to recover any of this.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #424 on: October 24, 2019, 11:03:01 AM

I like this one too from the Reddit bug list linked in the article:
C.A.M.P.:

Issue: Placing the "Pop Up" Tent that is part of Fallout 1st causing a CTD. (Ticket Submitted on 10/23/2019)

Multiple reports by reliable sources placing the Tent / Secondard C.A.M.P. Immediately caused a CTD.

This of course results in everyone being booted shortly after if the person who crashed was also the Private Server host.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #425 on: October 24, 2019, 11:14:43 AM

As for 76, this seems like something that you have to try to do rather than accidentally set up something like this. Considering how online services in general work, and games more specifically, I feel like someone wanted to configure it so that the server would intentionally spin down while the customers are paying a constant fee in order for the game runners to make more cash. Since, of course, they won't have to pay for the running servers 24/7.
Yes it's absolutely intentional in today's world* of on-demand computing billed by time used.

* Which was also yesterday's world before the rise of PCs
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: October 24, 2019, 11:20:51 AM

They are REALLY bad at this online stuff. They should quit that and concentrate on their core strengths again.
Seriously. Just announce that they're never ever going to make a multiplayer game again and get on with ES6 and whatever that space game they're doing is called.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #427 on: October 24, 2019, 12:15:23 PM

Was this shared yet?

falloutfirst.com
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #428 on: October 24, 2019, 02:12:14 PM

fallout is now basically like someone's kid threw up in the supermarket of games. you might be shopping for something in that general range but once you see what happened there you decide you don't really need anything in that aisle anyway this time around
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #429 on: October 24, 2019, 06:03:11 PM

I have to say - and this is probably the only place online I can say this without getting dogpiled - but anyone who ponied up for that subscription service not only should have known it would be fucked on release, but they actively deserve the clusterfuck that they paid for. Being a party to this bullshit is only actively working toward making games as a whole worse.

Beth can go eat a bag of dicks alongside EA, Ubi and Blactivision.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: October 24, 2019, 06:24:45 PM

I have to say - and this is probably the only place online I can say this without getting dogpiled - but anyone who ponied up for that subscription service not only should have known it would be fucked on release, but they actively deserve the clusterfuck that they paid for. Being a party to this bullshit is only actively working toward making games as a whole worse.

I can't imagine that there's a community out there that would disagree with you.  Anyone that's been even remotely awake has to be at least somewhat aware of the cavalcade of fuckery that this game has been from day one.  It's like they're shooting for some sort of Guinness record.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: October 24, 2019, 06:26:15 PM

There's been nothing but negative feedback anywhere I've seen about this, and FO76 in general. I'm a pretty big fan of mainline Bethesda games but this game has been a disaster from the jump.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #432 on: October 24, 2019, 06:26:20 PM

If I were a gaming journalist, I would look for people who DID pay for that subscription and interview them.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #433 on: October 25, 2019, 02:10:48 AM

I don't think that people who voluntarily paid money to Bethesda for a subscription to Fallout:76 have the ability to think and speak coherently.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: October 25, 2019, 06:22:07 AM

I don't think that people who voluntarily paid money to Bethesda for a subscription to Fallout:76 have the ability to think and speak coherently.

I could see an argument for paying for a single month if you wanted the outfit and the emotes and icons. The Atoms you get cost a bit more than a single month of it. This is only if you are the type to buy Atoms for the game though. But subscribing long term? Yeah. No.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #435 on: October 26, 2019, 05:11:33 PM

I can't imagine that there's a community out there that would disagree with you.  Anyone that's been even remotely awake has to be at least somewhat aware of the cavalcade of fuckery that this game has been from day one.  It's like they're shooting for some sort of Guinness record.

The "you deserved it" part would be contentious or worse in a lot of places. I mean, I'm very pro-consumer, but at a certain point you're just a fucking gullible idiot who loves Kool-Aid and you deserve what you get. Go play Outer Wilds instead for a dollar.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #436 on: October 26, 2019, 05:24:48 PM

Worlds, not Wilds.
schild
Administrator

Reply #437 on: October 26, 2019, 05:56:34 PM

pretty sure the $1 version is made by adidos and is called Outer Wilds
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #438 on: October 27, 2019, 02:06:30 PM

Nah, WIlds is by Mobius and is apparently pretty good as well. Worlds is on Game Pass for a buck for an intro month for anyone who wants to save $99 from their Fallout 76 subscription amd have fun instead. Also: Human NPCs  ACK!

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: October 28, 2019, 06:30:18 AM

In a bit of hilarious news, according to Reddit, people are actively hunting players with the Fallout 1st icon by their name. I don't know how common it is but it's common enough to show up on the Fallout 76 reddit.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #440 on: February 11, 2020, 11:49:26 AM

Bit of a necro, but this seems to be getting a reboot?

I can't imagine thinking this was fixable, but......then again.......I don't have 5 gallon pails full of money sitting in my garage.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: February 11, 2020, 12:40:57 PM

Yes, and I am looking forward to it because it wasn't bad. It just was not nearly enough of anything. With all the expansions, patches and a reboot it could be worth some time.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #442 on: February 11, 2020, 12:44:17 PM

That just looks like an expansion. How is this exactly a reboot?

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #443 on: February 11, 2020, 12:46:54 PM

Maybe reboot is the wrong word, but adding in NPCs, better quest structures, etc.  Smells to me like they are trying to make it less like what they started with and more like a traditional online game.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: February 11, 2020, 01:18:38 PM

Releasing on Steam? Reboot!

Seriously, so many people didn't even try it when it came out and just trusted the horrible word of mouth. 18 months of patches later plus new NPCs, areas and storylines probably qualifies it as a reboot if you only played it for a minute at launch.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: February 11, 2020, 02:09:44 PM

You would think with 15 months of patches it would be pretty solid now, but I still hear regular news of whatever latest disaster the game is going through.  As interesting as the Wastelanders update makes it look, its pretty easy to remind myself it will still be a poorly monetized broken mess.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: February 29, 2020, 03:45:54 PM

Maybe reboot is the wrong word, but adding in NPCs, better quest structures, etc.  Smells to me like they are trying to make it less like what they started with and more like a traditional online game.

To their credit they've admitted that not having NPCs in at launch was a bad idea. Wastelanders came specifically from player feedback about that issue.

You would think with 15 months of patches it would be pretty solid now, but I still hear regular news of whatever latest disaster the game is going through.  As interesting as the Wastelanders update makes it look, its pretty easy to remind myself it will still be a poorly monetized broken mess.

The biggest issues facing the game lately have been hackers on PC. They've caused massive problems. It still has bugs but they're mostly of the "Yeah, it's a Bethesda game..." variety. This type of thing, sadly, is usually fixed by modders but since 76 is online, it's all on Bethesda this time.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: April 03, 2020, 09:15:15 AM

Kind reminder that this is coming on Steam on April 14 together with the famed NPC expansion, which is free. Also, if you previously bought the game when it was a Bethesda exclusive, you can link your Beth account to Steam before April 12th to get a Steam key too.

Full disclosure, I am one of those who thinks the game is fine.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: April 03, 2020, 09:20:25 AM

But like...they want money for it?  Because that’s just odd.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: April 03, 2020, 02:20:10 PM

Money for what? For the game, not for the extra key.

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: July 22, 2020, 06:30:47 AM

For anyone that hasn't tried it yet, this is on game pass now.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76  
Jump to: