Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:49:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 98047 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: November 14, 2018, 02:33:51 AM

It's like fallout 4 with the content removed and a bunch of randoms running around?

It will be interesting watching the fans in a couple of weeks when the content runs out and the repetitive nature of it all is stark. Even really terrible MMO's are somewhat fun during the levelling up phase. Maybe there's hidden depth yet to be revealed, but I doubt it.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #281 on: November 14, 2018, 05:02:28 AM

That is my impression: Fallout 4 with a not necessarily less content (map is huge and dense with content) but less life and charm. Yes, randos running by, but there are so few in such a large space that they barely matter and meeting one from time to time is almost cool. On top of that, building is fun.

I personally feel compelled to explore the whole map and content at least once as if it were a single player, and I am pretty sure that my interest will fade after that. They mentioned a lot of stuff coming in the future and I wouldn't be surprised if this turned really good in a year or so (even Conan was hard to swallow at launch), but not holding my breath. If it improves great, otherwise it just feels like a big but weird Fallout 4 expansion. Nothing too wrong with that. Good for two-three weeks of entertainment.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #282 on: November 14, 2018, 05:36:08 AM

this game is not bad. Maybe not too exciting and feeling like it's missing stuff that will 'eventually' come, but even now it's not bad at all.
Put that right in the marketing fluff, such hearty recommendations are hard to come by.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: November 15, 2018, 07:56:24 AM

Nothing says "Worth 60 bucks" than "Not too exciting, feels like it's missing something, but maybe it'll get better eventually".
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #284 on: November 15, 2018, 08:40:01 AM

That is my impression: Fallout 4 with a not necessarily less content (map is huge and dense with content) but less life and charm. Yes, randos running by, but there are so few in such a large space that they barely matter and meeting one from time to time is almost cool. On top of that, building is fun.

I personally feel compelled to explore the whole map and content at least once as if it were a single player, and I am pretty sure that my interest will fade after that. They mentioned a lot of stuff coming in the future and I wouldn't be surprised if this turned really good in a year or so (even Conan was hard to swallow at launch), but not holding my breath. If it improves great, otherwise it just feels like a big but weird Fallout 4 expansion. Nothing too wrong with that. Good for two-three weeks of entertainment.

I liked the base building in Fallout 4. I think my big turnoff for 76 plays in to that though. The bases were interesting in 4 to me because of how the Settlers interacted with them, how you could try to build sort of a simulated community, while still being protected from raids.

I'm assuming the base building in 76 plays similar to other survival games? Grind resources for hours to build a box you can sleep and store more resources in? I find that tends to be fun for a short term, but always burn out on it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: November 15, 2018, 11:55:10 AM

Dragons? :\

I can't link it because the dude is livestreaming the game, but it happened a few minutes back in the stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lxzvxZbjII

Fallrim?

screenie: https://i.imgur.com/N8v5U7n.png
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 11:56:49 AM by Sky »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: November 15, 2018, 12:19:08 PM

Got to have those large monsters to provide group content... even if the fallout lore doesn't really support such a thing.

It's about as logical as launching nukes being a positive thing because that's how you grow resources.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: November 15, 2018, 07:36:08 PM

I'm assuming the base building in 76 plays similar to other survival games? Grind resources for hours to build a box you can sleep and store more resources in? I find that tends to be fun for a short term, but always burn out on it.
You kinda have a tiny camp (real small footprint) that basically contains your stash, crafting stations, and some weak defenses. It packs up when you log off, or when the server boots you somewhere else. Not permanent, clearly.

You can "build it" by handling the layout, and it'll fold/unfold in that layout. Pretty much camps from SWG, only with some customization. Its' there to craft, sleep, store stuff, etc.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: November 20, 2018, 12:01:02 AM

My biggest gripe with this game: forced depth of field. While I like how thia game looks, I can't get used to the blurry feeling of everything more than 10 yards away. I keep trying to fix my monitor or my glasses only to remember that it's just a fucked up design decision.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #289 on: November 23, 2018, 12:34:06 PM

My biggest gripe with this game: forced depth of field. While I like how thia game looks, I can't get used to the blurry feeling of everything more than 10 yards away. I keep trying to fix my monitor or my glasses only to remember that it's just a fucked up design decision.
For PC players you can adjust/turn off some of that stuff:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9wrx8g/how_to_turn_off_depth_of_field_distant_textures/

Also the game is already on sale for 33% off ($40) awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #290 on: November 23, 2018, 12:59:48 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9wrx8g/how_to_turn_off_depth_of_field_distant_textures/

There's actually an additional 12% off code you can use on GMG as well.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: November 23, 2018, 05:13:31 PM

Has there ever been a Bethesda game where I don't have to modify an .ini to make it passable.  why so serious?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #292 on: November 25, 2018, 08:00:45 PM

Watched a 15 minute video of a bunch of people killing top-tier scorch dragons or whatever.

Looked boring as all hell, and trivial to boot. Why do people like this again?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: November 25, 2018, 09:22:55 PM

Watched a 15 minute video of a bunch of people killing top-tier scorch dragons or whatever.

Looked boring as all hell, and trivial to boot. Why do people like this again?

Dunno, but I've got some "casual" gamer buddies who do.

It sounds like an okay world to rip around in with friends, then get tired of in time for next month's game.

Going to wait for a sale or two more myself before grabbing it, and the way that's going it'll be three fifty by the new year...
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: November 25, 2018, 10:58:29 PM

Because beautiful world with great atmosphere to explore, possibly with friends. That's it. This could be good and much better in one or two years. Right now, it's only for those who enjoy walking simulators and the likes. Being a Dear Esther, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Gone Home fan myself I do enjoy this. But yeah, such a wasted opportunity at the moment.

Edit: I, too, reinstalled Fallout 4 after playing around with 76 a bit.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:57:11 PM by Falconeer »

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #295 on: November 26, 2018, 03:06:37 AM

Only Bethesda would see that a majority of Fallout 4 players really like the base building aspect of the game and then completely ignore that aspect in their multiplayer survival game spinoff.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: November 26, 2018, 03:29:34 AM

Not saying you are wrong, but DO a majority?  I mean, I kind of like it, but would much rather be shooting radioactive zombies in the face and stuff.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: November 26, 2018, 03:55:14 AM

I think its fair to say a Significant proportion of Fallout 4 players did. Enough to make the decision to scrap the whole thing completely puzzling.

Unless transferring the layout of bases across the internet presented a massive technical hurdle that they could not figure out. Which is true, I mean no-one plays minecraft over the internet.

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: November 26, 2018, 03:59:43 AM

I am confused, probably because I am the minority that could not care less about base building in Fallout 4, but isn't base building present in Fallout 76? You definitely can build bases, so what am I missing?

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: November 26, 2018, 04:03:03 AM

From what I gathered not to the elaborate extent that you can in FO 4. I've never been much of a fan of the base building mechanic in 4 myself but from what my friends told me (and they have all sunk massive hours into that part of the game) it's pretty basic compared to what you could do in 4 when you have all the add ons installed
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: November 26, 2018, 04:21:04 AM

Well, what about without the mods?  That is the only fair comparison.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: November 26, 2018, 04:41:17 AM

Not mods. The FO 4 DLC. Most base building stuff was added with official DLC of the game
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: November 26, 2018, 04:43:05 AM

Without F4 Mods you can set up houses, generators, some furniture, turrets and electrical wiring. And out down concrete floors to smooth the ground to a limited extent.

TO be honest its all pretty basic in standard F4. Everything looks like a shed.

And ya the DLC adds a whole load of stuff that makes it better.

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: November 26, 2018, 04:55:08 AM

Yes that was my impression. In Fallout 76 you can already build way more than you could in vanilla Fallout 4. Not necessarily the biggest achievement, but that's the part I was missing. You can tell building is a big part of 76 so it's the one aspect I don't doubt it'll grow to modded F4 levels and beyond.

When the beta ends I mean  why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: November 26, 2018, 06:38:42 AM

I'm beginning to wonder if the AAA-making studios are mostly just thinking that the labor inputs of making a great big game that people play for years don't match the profit margins, and that it's better to find something cheaper and quicker to develop.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: November 26, 2018, 07:45:53 AM

Ubisoft was sort of pitching the opposite: games as long-term services that people keep buying DLC for forever, instead of sequels every year. They had a big writeup in their annual report earlier this year, but it seems to have vanished. This article has the jist though.

Regarding FO76 specifically, I don't think this was the main TES/FO team; those guys are probably working on that new IP and TES6, and they just let their side team churn this mess out.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: November 26, 2018, 08:38:34 AM

I'm beginning to wonder if the AAA-making studios are mostly just thinking that the labor inputs of making a great big game that people play for years don't match the profit margins, and that it's better to find something cheaper and quicker to develop.

Since this is not the first AA or even B game with "issues" by a AAA publisher this year I was wondering if these smaller games are simply in house training for junior developer teams. So you don't have to train them on your next AAA game and instead give them a lower risk lower budget project for them to learn the workflows, middleware and engine handling.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #307 on: November 26, 2018, 09:02:32 AM

Yes that was my impression. In Fallout 76 you can already build way more than you could in vanilla Fallout 4. Not necessarily the biggest achievement, but that's the part I was missing. You can tell building is a big part of 76 so it's the one aspect I don't doubt it'll grow to modded F4 levels and beyond.

When the beta ends I mean  why so serious?

From what I'm reading, the complaint is that the base building isn't permanent. As in, you build a camp and then throw it in to a suitcase when you head to another part of the map. So pretty much its just MMO instanced housing, but semi in the world.

For me, the base building in FO4 was about how you built your base to suit the location and existing environment. It gave you a sense of territory and permanence in the game. Much like base building in most survival games. Also helped that your base had NPCs running around in it to make it feel like it has a purpose.

I'm sad, because had they taken the approach of private servers, where people could change the world to their hearts content, I might have like this game. Everything I'm reading though says its basically MMO like. What's the point of setting off nukes if they don't actually have any impact on the game world, for example.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: November 27, 2018, 07:25:52 AM

Because beautiful world with great atmosphere to explore, possibly with friends. That's it. This could be good and much better in one or two years. Right now, it's only for those who enjoy walking simulators and the likes. Being a Dear Esther, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Gone Home fan myself I do enjoy this. But yeah, such a wasted opportunity at the moment.

Edit: I, too, reinstalled Fallout 4 after playing around with 76 a bit.
I can see the pitch now: "You know how people who like exploring games have little overlap with PvP types, because getting ganked by LordFartBucket sort of ruins the immersion? Let's make a PvP game for them, so we can get the explorers AND the PvP players! Twice the money, bitches!"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: November 27, 2018, 08:57:06 AM

They need to put in a resource simulation. Say you kill off all the ghouls in an area and the not-dragons don't have anything to eat, so they come attack your settlements. It would be the Ultima-te.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: November 27, 2018, 09:46:07 AM

Why do you go back to PvP? There's basically no PvP at all in Fallout 76, that has been known for months.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: November 28, 2018, 05:25:49 PM

Why do you go back to PvP? There's basically no PvP at all in Fallout 76, that has been known for months.
Yeah, because they clearly removed as much as possible after the E3 reveal. You know the one that was all about PvP? Where there was so much "PvP is great" and visible confusion when people asked crazy questions like "Um, what if we don't want to PvP? Can we not PvP?"

Also, there's literally nothing else but PvP. Or would be, if  that even worked right. There's some lackluster PvE, a smattering of "quests", and...that's it.

Except of course there's actually no PvP, because some genius made the map just right for like...20 times as many people as it can support, and that's before they decided to nerf PvP down to as useless as possible. It's so big they had to make a way for you to FIND other players. But there's no NPCs but a handful of robots.

So...why's the map so big? Did they plan for hundreds of players per server? Were they gonna zone it, with 24 people in much smaller zones? (If so, shouldn't there be clear transition areas?).  It's not there for PvE, it's not there for questing, so WTF is the map so huge?

I have no idea what the fuck the original design was. Huge map. Nothing in it. Huge PvP focus at E3, and then a lot of weird responses for a month, then PvP that's nerfed to uselessness. But still empty.

Weirdly, weirdly empty.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: November 28, 2018, 05:35:06 PM

A huge map would make sense with private servers and building permanence; players could erect their own structures, small groups could come together to form towns, and so on. That doesn't work as well with a portable camp and random servers.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: November 29, 2018, 04:50:13 AM

Reading between the lines, I think what they were actually going for was a big DayZ/Rust type freeform PVP environment with lots of PTW and loads of people on the maps shooting one another. Hell they might have been toying with a Battle Royale situation.

Then they panicked when people said "uh, what?"

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: November 29, 2018, 07:45:33 AM

A huge map would make sense with private servers and building permanence; players could erect their own structures, small groups could come together to form towns, and so on. That doesn't work as well with a portable camp and random servers.
That cannot be a last minute change -- did they simply not test their server capacity and have to cut from 200 players down to 24, and remove all permanence like four months ago?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76  
Jump to: