Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 98042 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: November 04, 2018, 08:47:00 AM

I literally don't understand how Bethesda took "We want co-op Fallout" and got "We want a PvP survival game". I really don't.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: November 04, 2018, 10:11:59 AM

Most of the people I know that decided to give the beta a go ended up quit playing it due to a very simple reason; key rebinds are a joke. Gopher actually has a good rant video about it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMk3c_yvF6E) and it just.. blows my mind.

Shit like this is why when people talk about Bethesda games they remark about how much a bug-ridden, technical tire-fire the games are, without fail. They are games that, without exception (imo), literally require mods to be playable.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #247 on: November 04, 2018, 10:43:15 AM

I don't think you got it right Morat20. This is not a PvP game. Sure you can irk other people, but this is not PvP anything. I wish it were but it isn't. No, PvP really isn't the problem.

schild
Administrator

Reply #248 on: November 04, 2018, 10:44:10 AM

The chances of you running into another human is already low without organization. The odds of them killing you or trying to is even lower.

Game is grade a garbage without private servers
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: November 04, 2018, 11:26:12 AM

The chances of you running into another human is already low without organization. The odds of them killing you or trying to is even lower.

Game is grade a garbage without private servers
But if you had a private server, wouldn't you be able to install mods without paying Bethesda? I assumed the whole point of it being online was they could force you to pay for mods.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #250 on: November 04, 2018, 08:46:52 PM

I played the beta. There's ALMOST a good game in here somewhere. Unfortunately, the amount of bad design decisions and pure fucking laziness compounds to make it not worth the effort.

The "this was built for consoles and controllers and we ain't changing it even if you have a mouse" UI is just an utter fucking abortion. Everything takes two or three more clicks or keypresses than it should. Combat is janky as fuck, clearly because the engine was built to use slow-motion VATS and this is online with other people so we can't do that but let's not actually tighten up these controls any because that would take too much development time. The color palette is both beautiful and ghastly. Distance aesthetics are gorgeous. Every single texture up close is low-res and shit, and all the models look like low-poly, overly angled shit.

And what numbnuts thought it was a good idea to have voice chat on by fucking default, without even telling the player "Your mic is likely to be hot and you will hear every other shitgoblin in your vicinity unless you turn this shit off?" Oh yes and let's have some cockmonkey talking over the very important voiceover quests that tell me where I'm supposed to go and what I'm supposed to do.

I'm not even going to touch the PVP aspects because while the system design is terribad, the fact that there's only 24 players on the server and grouping is incredibly weird, the chances are you'll either never see another player or you'll get continually griefed as you leave the Vault.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: November 05, 2018, 03:27:54 PM

I'm not in the beta, so I have no idea how true this is.  But there's a claim on Reddit that the game traffic is unencrypted and there are no server-side verifications.

https://np.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9u71m1/get_ready_for_endless_fun_on_pc/

He's already posted a mod to Nexus that shows the correct starting place for picking a lock by gleaning client data.

Trusting the client is soooooo 1998.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: November 05, 2018, 06:05:09 PM

In a really odd way, this is giving me the same vibes as Diablo Immortal? I mean, I feel like the old AAA houses are crumbling inside, and are looking for the fastest way to make more $$$ without having to actually develop shit. It's taken a long time but some years of people with broken shit making money in Early Access may just be breaking the wills of anyone left who used to actually make real games, combined with cheap-shit mobile developers in China who just rip old designs and reskin them quickly and then add money buttons.
schild
Administrator

Reply #253 on: November 05, 2018, 06:12:41 PM

tbf, bethesda bought an entire studio to fuck this one up
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #254 on: November 05, 2018, 08:35:30 PM

I don't know if the traffic is unencrypted or not, but you can definitely see an icon for every player on your "server" on your minimap. If that doesn't sound like a griefer's wet dream, I'm not sure what does.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #255 on: November 06, 2018, 05:13:38 AM

My wife's stream team pre-ordered this for her and she tried to get in tonight. What... a... shitshow. Her machine is in the acceptable specs but it doesn't matter. No matter how low she sets the video, it runs like ass - a gorgeous slideshow. She hasn't even made it out of the vault yet. It has deleted itself and require a redownload 3 times already.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: November 06, 2018, 08:49:22 AM

Different gaming companies give off different vibes.  Bethesda has always given off that "these games are good but full of bugs that we will fix later" and that doesn't really work in an MMO.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: November 06, 2018, 11:56:46 AM

New test tonight, 29 GB patch (with only minor fixes) to download. Ugh, OK.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #258 on: November 06, 2018, 12:37:40 PM

How about... NO.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: November 06, 2018, 01:08:49 PM

I saw one review stating that even with international players there was very little latency, which means a lot of the action is client-side. Then again this isn't really too surprising, they are re-using a lot of fallout 4 assets and modifying the entire package to be server-side would probably take more effort than they are investing in this game.

Not sure the game will have enough longevity for it to be an issue though.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #260 on: November 06, 2018, 01:44:49 PM

They just need a battle royale mode. With cheese.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: November 08, 2018, 05:11:21 PM

After a whole night playing with three friends, I am sold on it. All the criticisms still stand, but it IS fun to explore a Fallout world with your buddies.

schild
Administrator

Reply #262 on: November 08, 2018, 06:07:01 PM

private server or nothing
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #263 on: November 09, 2018, 05:26:42 AM

Playing with buddies will make anything fun.  I could probably have fun with buddies playing Diablo on my iPhone.  Think about all of the nonsense that a group of guys gets involved in and you'll realize that generally you're NOT interested in the activity itself but rather in friendly jackassery.  This is why people drink in parking lots with buddies.  Is Fallout 76 more fun than drinking in a parking lot?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: November 09, 2018, 10:37:26 AM

Considering I played alone another two hours after my buddies logged out until they brought down the servers, my answer is yes absolutely. But it's Fallout, I am ultra-biased. Anyway, exploring and looting in a Bethesda/Fallout world stays fun and addicting even without friends ot NPCs.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #265 on: November 09, 2018, 12:27:15 PM

OK, that's fair.  I personally can't seem to finish Fallout 4 so I might not be as engaged.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: November 09, 2018, 05:05:18 PM

If it was a co-op fallout (or Skyrim) so I could enjoy playing with my friends that would be fine. But the new mechanics of base building, PvP and survival don't seem like they add very much to that.

A game that requires you to have a dedicated group of online friends to play with is also unlikely to make the number of sales they are hoping for. I'm sure they had visions of it being on the PUBG/Fortnite level of success (with a 60$ entry price).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: November 10, 2018, 05:47:43 AM

Client size at the moment is 45 gb, but the day 1 patch is 54 gb. I wonder if it's pure idiocy or a lot of content or textures that were not in the beta.

schild
Administrator

Reply #268 on: November 10, 2018, 06:38:28 AM

They're patching in actual content

Haahahhahahahaha kidding
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #269 on: November 10, 2018, 10:55:33 AM

My guess is the game engine/framework doesn't have a way to apply incremental changes to existing files so the entire file has to be swapped out. I.e. they don't have a real patcher.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #270 on: November 10, 2018, 01:11:37 PM

That would be... unwise.

And yet, based on the half-assedness of the game itself in both design and execution, totally to be expected.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: November 10, 2018, 01:22:34 PM

Standard patcher will be available at release.

lololol
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: November 12, 2018, 07:03:56 AM

Not sure if true but hilarious if it is. Apparently Fallout 76 beta cannot be uninstalled unless you purchase the full game.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/11/12/fallout-76-beta-cant-uninstall/

schild
Administrator

Reply #273 on: November 12, 2018, 07:14:16 AM

Hm. Mine uninstalled, but it was a couple patches ago.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: November 13, 2018, 08:27:53 AM

Game got released today one day ahead of schedule , with no patch whatsoever big or small.

schild
Administrator

Reply #275 on: November 13, 2018, 08:37:28 AM

heh

FUCK IT WE'LL DO IT LIVE

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: November 13, 2018, 11:35:25 AM

Actual gameplay footage yall

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: November 13, 2018, 06:55:10 PM

Actual gameplay footage yall

That looks fun....
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: November 13, 2018, 09:58:45 PM

swamp poop ACK!

totally not a cash grab

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:39 AM

Not a cash grab. You can only buy cosmetics with that currency and you can earn some of it in game too.

Despite the hate, this game is not bad. Maybe not too exciting and feeling like it's missing stuff that will 'eventually' come, but even now it's not bad at all.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76  
Jump to: