Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:43:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 98072 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #210 on: October 23, 2018, 09:03:27 AM

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1054475944101138443

Bethsoft preemptively saying Fallout 76 is garbage is truly the 2018 we deserve.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: October 23, 2018, 04:28:02 PM

Bethsoft preemptively saying Fallout 76 is garbage is truly the 2018 we deserve.

'Thanks for preordering this dumpster fire' is definitely a unique approach to marketing.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #212 on: October 23, 2018, 05:03:26 PM

'Thanks for preordering this dumpster fire' is definitely a unique approach to marketing.

Doubly glad I didn't preorder now.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: October 23, 2018, 08:39:12 PM

Yeah me too.  Between this self-admission and the lack of private servers at launch I'm happy to let the extended 'retail early access' play out without me.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: October 24, 2018, 04:05:03 AM

Everybody who preordered it ought to be punched in the face for encouraging their idiocy anyway. The only thing this game does is take away developing resources from games people actually want to play.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: October 24, 2018, 04:14:42 AM

Everybody who preordered it ought to be punched in the face for encouraging their idiocy anyway. The only thing this game does is take away developing resources from games people actually want to play.

This.  And before anyone jumps in and says something about it being different teams or studios or whatever, don't bother.  A company can only make so many investments and/or strategic choices with its brand and resources.

We could be getting the next Skyrim instead of this bullcrap.

Bethesda excels at making games I can get utterly lost in.  Why on earth would I want other people there?

Glad I have a VR, as it means I can still get hundreds of hours out of my existing Bethesda shit instead of this shit.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #216 on: October 24, 2018, 06:20:25 AM

This.  And before anyone jumps in and says something about it being different teams or studios or whatever, don't bother.  A company can only make so many investments and/or strategic choices with its brand and resources.

Bethesda excels at making games I can get utterly lost in.  Why on earth would I want other people there?

Glad I have a VR, as it means I can still get hundreds of hours out of my existing Bethesda shit instead of this shit.

I'm jumping in to tell you how wrong you are, even with your disclaimer that doesn't make any sense. This is a purchased studio without the chops to make Skyrim. Apparently this studio was tasked with shoving a multiplayer mod into fallout 4 and crafting a new world. While the former is likely incredibly hard, the latter seems to show you wouldn't want them on one of their marquee games.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #217 on: October 24, 2018, 08:24:04 AM

Not shipping games that have "spectacular" bugs apparently never occurred to them
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: October 24, 2018, 08:26:32 AM

Also retrofitting multiplayer into Bethesda's aging custom gamebryo engine must have been a traumatic experience from what I've heard. The engine not being suited for it is a massive understatement and some of the developers almost suffered from PTSD just talking about it.

So I expect this to be a massive dumpster fire of bugs when it releases.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: October 24, 2018, 10:22:52 AM

I'm jumping in to tell you how wrong you are, even with your disclaimer that doesn't make any sense. This is a purchased studio without the chops to make Skyrim. Apparently this studio was tasked with shoving a multiplayer mod into fallout 4 and crafting a new world. While the former is likely incredibly hard, the latter seems to show you wouldn't want them on one of their marquee games.

Yeah, I was being cranky and trolly.  I want some other game to exist rather than this one.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: October 24, 2018, 10:57:45 AM

You might be right, I don't know that much about game development. But if there is even one employee at the parent company involved in this crapfest, it is one employee too many that could have done something useful like bring coffee to coders programming a better game.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: October 24, 2018, 02:26:51 PM

Forbes game review is in.  It sucks in all the ways everyone expected it would.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/10/24/the-fallout-76-beta-makes-me-sad/#2d648ea97802

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: October 24, 2018, 03:05:49 PM

What a not so surprising surprise.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #223 on: October 25, 2018, 07:48:01 AM

Actually, everyone seemeed to be worried about "other people" and that is the one problem not reported in the review. Lack of NPC? Yes, that sucks.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: October 25, 2018, 08:22:22 AM

That "review" is pretty terrible. It's clear he went in already knowing he wouldn't like it and out of his complaints the only one that he really has a point on is the one about no NPCs. Vats? Duh. It's multiplayer. You can't slow time in a multiplayer game. "Checkpoints" does he mean respwan points? Duh. It's multiplayer.

That's just a pretty awful article all around.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: October 25, 2018, 10:47:21 AM

I gotta agree with Riggswolfe above. Forbes is apparently not the place to go for good gaming reviews.

That said, this version of Fallout does not seem to be even as completed as the admittedly lax standards of today's multiplayer survival/builder games. Shame really, I would have liked the setting.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #226 on: October 25, 2018, 01:56:03 PM

I gotta agree with Riggswolfe above. Forbes is apparently not the place to go for good gaming reviews.

Honestly, the reviews that matter are the ones here. I usually cross reference reviews against the opinions here and most often the views here matter more. Example: Even though Falc was totally wrong about DQXI, I still appreciated his thoughts on why he didn’t like it. I trust game opinions of the people here more than I do on any site that generates revenue from the industry.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: October 25, 2018, 04:48:37 PM

Forbes is exactly the place where they wrote that Dragon Quest XI is probably the best RPG of all time.
For a second I thought it was a review from The Onion.

schild
Administrator

Reply #228 on: October 25, 2018, 06:32:44 PM

Here's the thing.

No one cares about the content of the Forbes Review. No one is asking whether or not they thought it was fun. But it did say exactly what a lot of us feared in a game with only half a design and zero of the narrative.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #229 on: October 26, 2018, 12:55:24 PM

Surely, I'm not the only one who has learned how to glean useful information from terrible game reviews.  Since they are all terrible reviews written by terrible people.

I watched a video and even without playing it myself, the aiming looked a lot like what I have to deal with in FO4 and far from something like Destiny.  I use VATS in FO4 because shooting otherwise sucks.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: October 29, 2018, 01:47:28 AM

Live action trailer https://youtu.be/5IcqE8kT3KA

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #231 on: October 30, 2018, 08:22:49 PM

My wife's stream team pre-ordered this for her and she tried to get in tonight. What... a... shitshow. Her machine is in the acceptable specs but it doesn't matter. No matter how low she sets the video, it runs like ass - a gorgeous slideshow. She hasn't even made it out of the vault yet. It has deleted itself and require a redownload 3 times already.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: October 30, 2018, 09:17:07 PM

My wife's stream team pre-ordered this for her and she tried to get in tonight. What... a... shitshow. Her machine is in the acceptable specs but it doesn't matter. No matter how low she sets the video, it runs like ass - a gorgeous slideshow. She hasn't even made it out of the vault yet. It has deleted itself and require a redownload 3 times already.

I had to redownload it about an hour before Beta actually went live but it went quick and I was in half an hour before the official start time. I had fun just running around with friends in it. I think it'll give me 2-3 months of enjoyment which is all I can really ask.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: October 31, 2018, 09:35:37 AM

Warning. If you click the wrong things the Bethesda client will accidentally erase the whole beta install
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: November 03, 2018, 07:36:08 AM

If you have preordered this game and are in the beta, you have 3 friends codes to share. They are on Bethesda.net, click on your account face (top right) and "Transaction History". Don't let them go wasted.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #235 on: November 03, 2018, 01:00:58 PM

I am your friend!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
schild
Administrator

Reply #236 on: November 03, 2018, 02:30:17 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #237 on: November 03, 2018, 03:11:57 PM

#3 awesome, for real
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: November 03, 2018, 03:17:15 PM

As soon as I spawned in the game for the first time I had to endure a guy that was barking into his phone telling his friend how bad the game is. It was quite funny in a way, except for the fact that he was talking over the overseer. Unfortunately, that seems to be an obvious issue: there are lots of dialogues and they often end up covered by what happen in the world (ie: other people). Also, how do I turn off my damned hot mic? I can tell I am annoying other people but I don't know how to shut myself off. "Options" aren't that clear and it looks like the only safe way is to physicall disconnect my microphone.

schild
Administrator

Reply #239 on: November 03, 2018, 04:10:22 PM

Yeah. It's very bad. Insultingly bad.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: November 03, 2018, 04:42:20 PM

Mmm what do you particularly hate so far? I have only dabbled with it for 1 hour and it just feels like a generic Fallout chapter with some occasional roaming idiot but without NPCs.
What I am trying to say is that I am totally unimpressed but it's consistent with what I was expecting from Fallout Online. Meaning: I don't think Fallout Online is a good idea.

schild
Administrator

Reply #241 on: November 03, 2018, 09:01:12 PM

it's a tech abortion

also it offers me literally nothing any other fallout game doesn't already do better? You know, with a bad narrative and without other people?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: November 03, 2018, 09:33:20 PM

I saw part of a stream of it tonight, and my reaction was "it looks exactly like Fallout 4. I want to play Fallout 4 now"

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: November 03, 2018, 09:45:11 PM

Yes I had the same reaction after playing for an hour: "This world is nice... but where are the Fallout characters? I wanna play Fallout 3/4/NV right now".

With that said, I see the potential fun of playing some co-op Fallout with your friends, and building your base or house is always cool. But that's pretty much it, there's really nothing to gain from the presence of unknown players. This presents the same problems that Elder Scrolls Online did. Good product, immense content, but who cares? What you gain does not make up for what you lose.
Also, that one still had NPCs.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: November 04, 2018, 06:37:18 AM

it's a tech abortion

also it offers me literally nothing any other fallout game doesn't already do better? You know, with a bad narrative and without other people?

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76  
Jump to: