Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:01:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 98054 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 02:15:18 PM

There's been a supposed leak or twenty about this game. One of them claims they won't allow any external mods because of "security concerns". Hopefully that's not true as it's the one thing that would make me quit Bethesda games for good.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 04, 2018, 02:34:35 PM

It's going to be an online game, of course it won't have mods.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 04, 2018, 02:43:34 PM

That's not really a given. A lot of stuff like Ark and Conan Exiles have mods.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 04, 2018, 03:11:53 PM

The Elder Scrolls Online has plenty of mods, so I don't see why Fallout 76 wouldn't also have them, online or not.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 09, 2018, 09:15:05 AM

I’m stoked for this one.  I’ve been looking for something new to get into regardless if it is multiplayer or not.  Sign me up.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 07:32:57 PM

Oh joy, another mmo shit sandwich.

FUCK YOU BETHSOFT

Okay, maybe it'll be okay. Stupid presentation
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 07:40:48 PM by rattran »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #41 on: June 10, 2018, 07:42:40 PM

man i don't care

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 10, 2018, 08:15:07 PM

Looks like we need this moved to the MMOG section.
schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: June 10, 2018, 08:28:32 PM

not sure

depends on what they mean by

"we have no dedicated servers"

followed by

"we have dedicated servers that need testing"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #44 on: June 10, 2018, 08:37:36 PM

You can have dedicated servers (a la Quake/QuakeWorld) without a game being an MMO.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: June 10, 2018, 08:42:02 PM

yes we know

and fallout isn't an mmo, they called out dedicated servers

but also called out there were no dedicated servers and you'd never see servers

it was a pr presentation of mixed fucking messages
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #46 on: June 10, 2018, 08:58:51 PM

The way I understood what they said is that there isn't anything like a server select screen. I assume that just means that when you log in each time it either just puts you in a server with random people or if you have friends you play with there is some means of joining up with them.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #47 on: June 10, 2018, 09:10:09 PM

It sounds pretty much the same as the Conan servers. Which means the Brotherhood of Dong is only five months away.
schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: June 10, 2018, 09:23:27 PM

it doesn't though

but if it is

oh lawdy

dong is gonna fix the opiate problem
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 10, 2018, 10:23:55 PM

It sounds pretty much the same as the Conan servers. Which means the Brotherhood of Dong is only five months away.

Conan has a server select screen and private servers. Neither of which seemed like a thing based on their presentation.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #50 on: June 11, 2018, 12:12:34 AM

Full stage show presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV63b6empgM
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #51 on: June 11, 2018, 01:38:30 AM

It seems to me that they are going the Elite Dangerous route. It's a shared universe, but played over many instances. So you can hide from danger or from human interactions when and if you want, but at the same time you are all (kinda) in the same world.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 11, 2018, 06:12:32 AM

It seems to me that they are going the Elite Dangerous route. It's a shared universe, but played over many instances. So you can hide from danger or from human interactions when and if you want, but at the same time you are all (kinda) in the same world.
For those of us who haven't played Elite Dangerous?

The bits of the presentation I saw were all over the place. There was a flat statement of "you can play it solo", but then videos of co-op exploration and straight-up PvP. Building anywhere is pretty cool, but is that open-world shit that'll just get blown up and stolen by others, or like your own little instance, or what?

I can't tell if they've like Destiny (some big "open world" instances with a lot of people, coupled with group or solo only instances), or an MMORPG, or what.

Which is frustrating, because you'd think "here's the basic game we're putting together and how it's played" would be the kind of thing you'd tell people.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 11, 2018, 07:21:56 AM

I think this is how it'll work:

You can only play if you are connected to the internet. That requires a key and forces you to login (to fight piracy and ensure persistency).

The play area is the same for everybody but has infinite instances.

When you build your house, that could be in instance#4893 while someone else has another house in your spot on instance#2380.

You and your friends can always phase to each other's instance-server and play together. Not sure how you could move all your stuff around if you wanted to move your buildings to their instance. There might be a "pack everything" function .

You never get to pick the instance-server nor you ever get to know the #. You can change instance to a random one or join your friends', but you don't pick which one. That also prevents twitch-sniping.

How does the "solo" play work? In Elite, you can elect to play "solo" or "group only" which would place you in another instance that is basically private so devoid of other players. It still requires for you to be online because of piracy protection AND because there is a dynamic economic simulation in Elite that stays the same for everybody regardless of the instance-server they are on. It could be the same here. Or it could be dependent on world events that can be triggered on one server but change the world on all the other ones too.

tl;dr

The world is instanced but you can choose to play on a private instance. Kind of like Destiny, except you can make everyone else disappear from the open world if you want.

By the most recent standards it is definitely a MMO, but you can switch it to single player and back as much as you want.

schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: June 11, 2018, 07:28:45 AM

I don't quite think that's how it will work
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #55 on: June 11, 2018, 09:11:47 AM

It doesn't sound like an MMO to me, either.  Chopping off an M would fix the description maybe.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 11, 2018, 10:45:27 AM

Well, how do you think it will work? It's basically Conan Exiles but you don't get to choose the server cause there's no server list, but you can choose to play in your own solo-group server.

schild
Administrator

Reply #57 on: June 11, 2018, 10:46:20 AM

but you can choose to play in your own solo-group server.

we don't know that yet

is it always on
is that particular server static
how is it seeded
does one person always need to be online

this shit matters

this is dealbreaker tier shit
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 11, 2018, 11:03:59 AM

I take that from Todd Howard saying "because Fallout 76 is entirely online" and  "of course you can play this solo". Here at 13:06.

schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: June 11, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

yeah I know what he said, i watched the whole thing intently

he also said "you'll never see a server" and then at the end said "we need to test our dedicated server technology"

so uh
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #60 on: June 11, 2018, 11:48:03 AM

Yeah it's a bit confusing how that's supposed to work.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 11, 2018, 11:56:56 AM

"you'll never see a server" and then at the end said "we need to test our dedicated server technology"

Of course I can be wrong but I don't see confusion there, nor is there a contradiction in the above statements. The game will have dedicated servers (technology), they just won't be visible to the players. You don't pick what unnamed instance you are dropped into or phase to/from to play with your friends.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #62 on: June 11, 2018, 12:20:22 PM

Obviously no one at Bethesda knows how it will work either.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #63 on: June 11, 2018, 12:22:55 PM

"you'll never see a server" and then at the end said "we need to test our dedicated server technology"

Of course I can be wrong but I don't see confusion there, nor is there a contradiction in the above statements. The game will have dedicated servers (technology), they just won't be visible to the players. You don't pick what unnamed instance you are dropped into or phase to/from to play with your friends.

What you just described is both counterintuitive and basically nonsense
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 11, 2018, 01:02:27 PM

That's how Elite Dangerous work.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #65 on: June 11, 2018, 01:02:34 PM

I get what Falconeer is saying. What he describes is sometimes used for "MMOs" with persistent characters but non-persistent worlds like The Division which has dedicated servers for online gameplay but you are never explicitly aware which server you are connected to, and you can group up with friends by "teleporting" to their instance (or vice-versa).

This is in contrast to games like Destiny or Warframe where one player is chosen as the host for the multiplayer instance.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 11, 2018, 01:31:14 PM

I just hope that it's not a forced pvp game.  At least with Conan Exiles you have an option to play on pve servers.  This doesn't sound like it gives you a server type option.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 11, 2018, 02:35:40 PM

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-will-have-mod-support-but-not-at-launch/

tl;dr

There will be mods.
There will be private servers.

Neither will be in at launch.

schild
Administrator

Reply #68 on: June 11, 2018, 02:36:47 PM

That's not iron clad enough for me. I'm whatever about mods. But they need private servers at goddamn launch.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 11, 2018, 02:37:24 PM

If they're not in at launch, neither am I.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76  
Jump to: