Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:51:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Lost in Space (2018, Netflix) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lost in Space (2018, Netflix)  (Read 12260 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: February 22, 2018, 11:46:34 AM

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:21:38 AM by Trippy »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 01:22:38 PM

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. The cast is being diversified - including making Dr. Smith into Parker Posey. Luckily, I don't have a great deal of attachment to either versions of the franchise so...

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:30:01 PM

Not going to work unless they open up a TON of air between them and the really bad film reboot.

Gotta take the family setting seriously--make that dark and complicated without going DARK AND COMPLICATED.

Gotta give them a more interesting universe to play in--some arcs, some mythology.

Gotta give the whole thing more urgency than "family in trouble"--looks like they've done that, but so did the awful movie.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:43:38 PM

Not sure the thing would work as a movie. The dynamics in the show were all about dynamics between the characters, and that's hard to do in a movie, at least to the same extent.

Hic sunt dracones.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:50:19 PM

I think it’s Molly Parker.  From Deadwood and Amazon’s Goliath.

Edit:  Derp.  It’s both!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:52:06 PM by Soln »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 03:58:23 AM

No one even remembers the movie happened, I don't think it'll affect this show at all.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 04:39:05 PM

Yeag you're probably right.

Hic sunt dracones.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 11:57:59 PM

The year was 1998.

I convinced my goth girlfriend to see Lost in Space opening night in a theater because.

She side eyed me 50 minutes in.

I knew I fucked up.

Hoping for the best on this new venture.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 10:43:07 AM

The year was 1998.

I convinced my goth girlfriend to see Lost in Space opening night in a theater because.

She side eyed me 50 minutes in.

I knew I fucked up.

Hoping for the best on this new venture.

Had a crush on Lacey Chabert, GF was not invited. Lacey Chabert still hot, ex gf very fat so i probably made the right call.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 12:42:10 PM

Lacey Chabert.  Man. 

Yes.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 01:07:46 PM

I enjoyed the movie because I never expected to take it seriously. The space spiders were kinda neat, and Oldman overacting was fun.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 01:32:06 PM

Lacey Chabert.  Man. 

Yes.

She was in this awful Hallmark Christmas movie my wife was watching. I watched the whole thing.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 02:46:00 AM

Gary Oldman is the only thing I remember from that movie.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 05:30:55 AM

You don't even remember Joey in Space ?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 06:59:26 AM

I don't even remember Gary Oldman to be honest. Just Lacey and the spiders.

I am the .00000001428%
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 09:14:44 AM

I watched the first half of season one of Andromeda while I was repairing Christmas lights, so I will probably watch this.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 05:01:47 PM

I watched the first half of season one of Andromeda while I was repairing Christmas lights, so I will probably watch this.
Weird, I was watching that to kill time this weekend.

Lacey Chabert.  Man.  

Yes.

This.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 10:21:48 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 12:36:45 PM

Nah.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 12:49:37 PM

Looks better than the teaser.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 05:56:34 AM

Hard for me to think of an IP I care less about callbacks to. That said it looks pretty so I might remember to check it out maybe.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 06:53:07 AM

"scifi show with a good budget"

To me that makes it a must watch, even if it turns out terrible I have to respect that when I was a kid I couldn't dream of any show like this being taken seriously by a network.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 11:20:40 AM

Yeah, say what you like (or don't) about Altered Carbon or the Marvel shows, they are exactly what they try to be with no "laugh at the geeks" subtext. We are in a golden era of niche television.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 06:35:16 PM

This is good. Is it the camp of the original? No.
It’s gritty, it’s a lot more realistic and it’s engaging as fuck.

I’m three episodes in and I really want to know how bad Earth got before people bailed. Also, robot? Badass. And Parker Posey’s Doctor is shadier than the original and the Gary Oldman version combined.

Also, Lagavulin.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:40:21 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 06:59:44 PM

Enjoyed the first few so far, though I wish shows like this would at least try to pass the six year old test for their dilemmas.

As in, would a six year old be able to spot the obvious flaws in the physics of the dangerous situations they wind up in? If so, rewrite it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 08:04:08 PM

I enjoyed it.  The "science-y" bits were a complete mess (much more space opera than sci-fi here, at best), but I liked the cast, thought the ship/vehicle/costume/setting designs were solid, and generally had fun, though I think they could have edited it down by 20+% to toss some of the more dragged out "omg {character/everyone} will die if we don't accomplish {x} by {y}" bits.  As with so much tv nowadays there's just constant, ongoing time pressure that doesn't let anything breathe.  It's like nobody believes audiences will understand situations are dangerous (stranded on an unknown planet!) without countdown timers to certain doom.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 02:22:19 AM

5 episodes in.... Not bad, but not great.  You need some huge grains of salt (soooo many eels), but the look and most of the actinghas been good.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 01:37:58 AM

Everyone else appears to be liking this, but 3 episodes in and I don't really want to continue.  For me, a secret to a watchable show is having a character, even if it's only one, that you like, that you identify with and that doesn't bug the ever loving fuck out of you with unrealistic bullshit all the time.

That would appear to be lacking here.  I feel, reading all the reviews and comments over that bit of the internet that I pay attention to, I'm in a minority of one.

Heartbreak

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 02:54:11 AM

.For me, a secret to a watchable show is having a character, even if it's only one, that you like, that you identify with and that doesn't bug the ever loving fuck out of you with unrealistic bullshit all the time.

I'm with the robot. But I'm only at episode 3.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 08:52:46 AM

I find Penny likeable from episode 3 on.  I think she might be the actor from the series that stands out and goes on to something greater. 

I think they can adjust West to make him a bit better in Season 2.  They have a good core, but it feels like two writers are battling for his soul and have very different ideas of when he would be in it for himself, and when he'd do the right thing over his own interests. 

They start to go somewhere with Dr. Smith by the end of the season, but it is a bit random.  They needed to give her a better relationship with Will. 

It makes no sense that the robot can essentially say nothing more than Danger Will Robinson, but can understand English.  That bugged me.

The science was ... errrr ... not science.

The Mom and Dad were a bit bland.  Judy was inconsistent.  Will was fine for a kid, but really rather bland as well.  All the other people in the season seemed like they were rewritten episode by episode. 

The planet was just so inconsistent.  The whole cycle of it made absolutely no sense. 

I'm really confused by the Reliant (is that the name)? 

I feel like the entire first season should have been compacted into 5 episodes.  Netflix tends to drag out their shows way too long - this follows one follows suit.

And screw the chicken.  Not interesting. 

I'll watch the first three episodes of Season 2 (in a year or so) and see if they fix the flaws.  If not, I'll give up on it - there are just too many Netlflix shows worth watching that are as good or better (Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Altered Carbon, The OA, 13 Reasons, Marvel shows, Ozarks, Unfortunate Events,  OITNB, Glow, Kimmy Schmidt, Travelers, Hot Wet American, etc...)

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 08:05:07 AM

I find Penny likeable from episode 3 on.  I think she might be the actor from the series that stands out and goes on to something greater. 

I think they can adjust West to make him a bit better in Season 2.  They have a good core, but it feels like two writers are battling for his soul and have very different ideas of when he would be in it for himself, and when he'd do the right thing over his own interests. 

They start to go somewhere with Dr. Smith by the end of the season, but it is a bit random.  They needed to give her a better relationship with Will. 

It makes no sense that the robot can essentially say nothing more than Danger Will Robinson, but can understand English.  That bugged me.

The science was ... errrr ... not science.

The Mom and Dad were a bit bland.  Judy was inconsistent.  Will was fine for a kid, but really rather bland as well.  All the other people in the season seemed like they were rewritten episode by episode. 

The planet was just so inconsistent.  The whole cycle of it made absolutely no sense. 

I'm really confused by the Reliant (is that the name)? 

I feel like the entire first season should have been compacted into 5 episodes.  Netflix tends to drag out their shows way too long - this follows one follows suit.

And screw the chicken.  Not interesting. 

I'll watch the first three episodes of Season 2 (in a year or so) and see if they fix the flaws.  If not, I'll give up on it - there are just too many Netlflix shows worth watching that are as good or better (Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Altered Carbon, The OA, 13 Reasons, Marvel shows, Ozarks, Unfortunate Events,  OITNB, Glow, Kimmy Schmidt, Travelers, Hot Wet American, etc...)

One thing it appears that the robot and will had at least on some level a psychic type connection. He was not understanding the words so much as the feelings behind them. Like when he locked will in the closet will was feeling scared and the robot did his best to interpret those feelings into some kind of defensive action plan. At least initially I am not sure him saying danger will robinson is more than just parroting something it figured out to quickly get his attention about a threat. So it sort of makes sense at least early on his vocabulary is not really high because he is not really working on that level yet.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 08:15:41 AM

Just finished it. A few too many cases of what physics defying deathtrap will they stumble in to today, but overall I enjoyed it. I think its driven by strong actors, who do their best with some pretty silly situations. It just feels like each 57 minute episode would have been much more watchable trimmed to say 45 minutes. Way too much drawn out dialogue, that's clearly just being used as filler.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 08:32:39 AM

I have enjoyed the first few episodes, though this is maybe the first thing Parker Posey has done that I haven't felt connected to her character significantly. I mean, this cinematic masterpiece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVkChL4BfFE

I haven't watched the first series in a very long time, but I remember it being physics-defying pulp, too. Or am I remembering incorrectly? Is it possible they attempted to tell the pulp story style and that doesn't translate to our modern expectations of what storytelling should be?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 20, 2018, 09:34:25 AM

I haven't watched the first series in a very long time, but I remember it being physics-defying pulp, too. Or am I remembering incorrectly? Is it possible they attempted to tell the pulp story style and that doesn't translate to our modern expectations of what storytelling should be?
No show from that era holds up to modern standards.  It was 60s era soft sci-fi.  Outside of something niche like Hitchhikers, that type of Scifi will not work anymore.

This was not campy.  It was not silly.  However, the science was reaaaaaaally questionable in a distracting way.  The best description of the show I've seen is:

An 11 year old that watched the original Lost in Space and the remake of Battlestar Galactica wrote a show...

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 07:25:15 PM

Finished it. Overall enjoyed myself. Mostly it will be quite forgettable, but I am intrigued by what the robot's home could be. 7/10 for light entertainment.

The original TV show was repeated many times during my childhood. I watched sporadic episodes but it always disappointed me. This was much better.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Lost in Space (2018, Netflix)  
Jump to: