Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Lost in Space (2018, Netflix) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lost in Space (2018, Netflix)  (Read 12257 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: May 17, 2020, 11:30:02 AM

NECRO BITCHES.

I finally got down to watching this and have now binged the first two seasons over the last few weeks. Going in, I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it that much - that's one of the reasons it took me so long. I had other stuff I wanted to watch before it. This actually helped the show as it's very bingeable.

Science - yeah no. The science is pure Disney-style adventure science with polished visual effects. It's not there to make sense, it's there to make for rule of cool visuals. And they succeed at that more often than they fail. I didn't expect good science from this. I expected swashbuckling adventure and it delivered that in spades. They did do a lot of overlapping disaster plots, so there was constantly 2-4 concurrent fuckups to fix - sometimes it worked, sometimes it just felt like overkill to mask that this was a filler episode. Had the series gone to 13 episodes a season, this would have gotten really old. 10 episodes was on the larger bound, 8 would have been perfect.

I expected to hate Will, but there were only a few "cute dumb ass kid" moments where he got irritating, and it was over very quick. Most of the cast were good actors, Parker Posey really chewed the scenery as you'd expect. My two favorites were really Don West but most especially Penny. Something just clicked with her character and even when they overdid her angst, I thought she worked out well. Robot was badass. As much as Dr. Smith got a little moustache twirly at times, I feel like Hastings and Adler in the 2nd season were the worst written characters. They didn't feel entirely in keeping with the modernized tone, especially Hastings.

The one thing I will give them credit for is keeping the kind of smaltzy family sticks together lovey-dovey cuteness but modernizing it in a way that didn't feel patronizing most of the time. It was certainly more "family friendly" than I would have expected a more grim, gritty, dark modernization to have been but that worked in its favor. It went grimdark emotionally without actually being so grimdark that it lost its way. I look forward to the final season sometime in the post-apocalypse when production companies can film again.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 17, 2020, 01:52:39 PM

You realize you pretty much just entirely agreed with my analysis from earlier in the post.

I'm so, so sorry.

After Season 2, I'm betting we see Mina Sundwall cast in a Marvel role in the next 2 years.  Perhaps as Jean Grey?  Rogue?  Black Cat?  Kitty Pride?   

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: May 17, 2020, 03:40:03 PM

She would absolutely make a great Jean Grey.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 18, 2020, 09:48:17 AM

She would absolutely make a great Jean Grey.
That was my first thought, and I bet Marvel goes with the first 5 X-Men first (as well as individual Mutants that later join the X-Men).  However, I kind of think she'd be even better as Kitty, although I bet Kitty isn't introduced for a decade or so.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 18, 2020, 12:08:19 PM

NECRO BITCHES.

I finally got down to watching this and have now binged the first two seasons over the last few weeks. Going in, I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it that much - that's one of the reasons it took me so long. I had other stuff I wanted to watch before it. This actually helped the show as it's very bingeable.

Science - yeah no. The science is pure Disney-style adventure science with polished visual effects. It's not there to make sense, it's there to make for rule of cool visuals. And they succeed at that more often than they fail. I didn't expect good science from this. I expected swashbuckling adventure and it delivered that in spades. They did do a lot of overlapping disaster plots, so there was constantly 2-4 concurrent fuckups to fix - sometimes it worked, sometimes it just felt like overkill to mask that this was a filler episode. Had the series gone to 13 episodes a season, this would have gotten really old. 10 episodes was on the larger bound, 8 would have been perfect.

I expected to hate Will, but there were only a few "cute dumb ass kid" moments where he got irritating, and it was over very quick. Most of the cast were good actors, Parker Posey really chewed the scenery as you'd expect. My two favorites were really Don West but most especially Penny. Something just clicked with her character and even when they overdid her angst, I thought she worked out well. Robot was badass. As much as Dr. Smith got a little moustache twirly at times, I feel like Hastings and Adler in the 2nd season were the worst written characters. They didn't feel entirely in keeping with the modernized tone, especially Hastings.

The one thing I will give them credit for is keeping the kind of smaltzy family sticks together lovey-dovey cuteness but modernizing it in a way that didn't feel patronizing most of the time. It was certainly more "family friendly" than I would have expected a more grim, gritty, dark modernization to have been but that worked in its favor. It went grimdark emotionally without actually being so grimdark that it lost its way. I look forward to the final season sometime in the post-apocalypse when production companies can film again.

Tried to watch Season 2. I hate the doctor. She needed to stay incarcerated or be fired out of the airlock. With all the disasters, she just kept finding ways to make things worse and it wasn't necessary to make the show interesting or good. I stopped watching when she grabbed the seaweed from the bucket. Anyone who keeps trying to kill or incapacitate my family would not be long for this universe.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #40 on: May 18, 2020, 06:04:59 PM

Congratulations on identifying the frustrating part of every incarnation of Lost in Space?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Lost in Space (2018, Netflix)  
Jump to: