Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:49:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Alita: Battle Angel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alita: Battle Angel  (Read 28463 times)
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 04:38:50 PM

Interest peaked before the "full" trailer was released.  Who knew dialogue and shitty YJ emo-pop music will kill any hope this adaption will be good.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 04:27:41 PM

Just to shit on the eyes a bit more, nobody else has the anime sex doll eyes in the movie. Would have made slightly more passable sense if there was at least one other damn critter. AI2: Salvage Job

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 06:39:49 PM

But she’s “special”/“one of a kind”/so on and so forth.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 25, 2018, 07:26:22 PM

So give her blue skin or something. Anything would have been better than that shit.

I guarantee you that the preview screeners all came out hating on the eyes but someone's ego was involved so they stayed.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 07:44:25 AM

I kinda like the eyes; not enough to go see this in theaters (since the wife has zero interest), but I'm excited enough to check it out when it hits Netflix/Hulu/whatever.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 03, 2018, 08:18:29 AM

I'll watch this. It looks like fun, I know nothing about the source material. The plot summary from the Wikipedia article sounds like a hot mess anyway, so .. whatever  awesome, for real

But yes, some of the CGI could and should be improved.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #41 on: August 03, 2018, 08:55:40 AM

Guys, its a James Cameron passion project.  His record has been pretty consistent.  At the very least, we should get an entertaining spectacle movie thats fun to watch in theaters even if the plot is silly and easy to make fun of.  At best we get like, T2 I guess (but highly doubting that).

Obviously he could totally fuck it up, but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt he’ll make something watchable (and not just another Ghost in the Shell movie fuck up).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:27:46 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: August 03, 2018, 09:32:53 AM

Cameron's passion projects are among the worst shit he does.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 05, 2018, 04:59:10 AM

Cameron's passion projects are among the worst shit he does.

Cameron and passion project should be words of warning to wasting your money.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 05, 2018, 05:03:50 AM

What are these bad movies you guys speak of?  I'm having a hard time coming up with anything truly terrible he's done (honest question, I'm sure I'm missing something).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: August 05, 2018, 05:56:13 AM

His last two passion projects were Avatar and Titanic.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 05, 2018, 06:03:29 AM

And both of those are examples of what I was just saying.  Both where great flashy visual movies that were fun to watch in theaters, had a basic but mostly inoffensive plot, and are not worth rewatching ever again.  This movie turning out as good as Titanic or Avatar is one of the best case scenarios, and it would money well spent at the theater if so.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:26:16 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #47 on: August 05, 2018, 07:13:54 AM

Cameron is just producing it. He's too busy making 3-4 more Avatar movies to direct this himself. Robert Rodriguez is directing which is the bigger warning sign since the quality of his movies is very inconsistent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 05, 2018, 07:28:42 AM

Well, he also wrote the script (along with Laeta Kalogridis), so his involvement is a bit deeper than that.

-Stephen Colbert
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 07, 2018, 10:28:53 AM

Which given the assloads of money both brought in seemed to have found a viable market with people who did enjoy them.
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: September 08, 2018, 09:42:22 AM

Which given the assloads of money both brought in seemed to have found a viable market with people who did enjoy them.
how many times do we have to go over this

being popular and making a shitload of money doesn't actually make something good

it just makes something popular and profitable
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 08, 2018, 11:40:47 AM

Well if it's unprofitable and you don't ever want to hear about it again until the hoi polloi at Cannes give it some prizes, then you really should be here for the Toronto Film Festival. Every year you have to chance to sit through dozens of government subsidized films out of Quebec. They're said to be good but believe me you'll never want to hear about a mopey, angsty teenager for the rest of your life.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #52 on: November 13, 2018, 07:28:54 PM

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: November 14, 2018, 05:36:25 AM

Heart Opening Valentine's Day '19  Heart

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #54 on: November 14, 2018, 09:51:25 AM

Heart Opening Valentine's Day '19  Heart

So Netflix summer of 2019?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #55 on: November 14, 2018, 11:03:55 AM

Unlikely given that it's soon to be a Disney-owned film.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #56 on: November 14, 2018, 11:37:06 AM

Too bad... I would have liked to watch this at some point.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 15, 2018, 06:44:20 PM

I thought they improved the eyes somehow, but actually I think they just made the rest of the girl more anime/CGI which actually makes it look way less creepy than before.

I am the .00000001428%
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 26, 2018, 08:16:14 AM

So earlier this month the husband and I went to see Bohemian Rhapsody finally and saw this trailer.  Husband asked me about it because he thought it looked interesting and I'm still not sure how to feel about that.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 03, 2019, 07:41:28 AM

Saw the new trailer with bumblebee and it looks like a live action movie starring a pixar character, it's weird.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 18, 2019, 03:03:00 PM

This was a really fucking good movie.  You don't notice her eyes anymore within minutes of her character being fully introduced and you'll quickly fall in love with her.  It's not perfect by any means and won't be winning any Oscars outside of technical categories, but it stays quite true to the source material, the motorball and fight scenes are absolutely amazing, plot and pacing are well done, and it's just overall a very fun/entertaining movie.  It's a must see in the theater in my opinion.  I saw it in regular 2D, but really want to go see it again in 3D.

most often known as Drevik
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #61 on: February 26, 2019, 10:56:29 AM

I saw this last night and enjoyed it.  Visually imaginative, lots of worldbuilding without heavy exposition.  Main complaint is that the ending is clearly trying to set up a sequel that may not happen.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #62 on: February 26, 2019, 07:58:08 PM

I saw this last night and enjoyed it.  Visually imaginative, lots of worldbuilding without heavy exposition.  Main complaint is that the ending is clearly trying to set up a sequel that may not happen.

Yeah, there is a fucking huge 'To Be Continued...' at the end.
I never read the source material because I hate anime. I enjoyed the movie though even though I rolled my eyes a few times at the anime tropes. Christoph Waltz is amazing as usual, the visual effects are really well done, and the pacing is tight. It's the movie that Mortal Engines should have been.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #63 on: March 08, 2019, 07:44:13 AM

I’m a bit ambivalent about it.

The visuals are stunning, the effects are great, the character design is top notch and the fight scenes are well choreographed. The actors are on the whole pretty great as well and the visual design and performance capture for Alita work exceptionally well.

The movie also has major pacing problems and the script makes lots of mistakes that I wouldn’t have expected from a veteran team like Rodriguez and Cameron. Also Jennifer Connelly is criminally underused as is another well known actor I won’t spoil here. I probably would be less critical if this was a first time project or a movie by a less experienced team.

I also don’t know the source material and I’m therefore not sure how much of it is the fault of Rodriguez or Cameron and how much of it is because of the Manga.

The movie takes much too long to get going which leaves not enough time to tell the actual story. By the time all of the characters and their backstories have been introduced and you get to the actual conflict of the movie more than an hour has passed. Which makes the second half of the movie feel very rushed. So much so that they do an actual “several months later” time skip to wrap things up while skipping over what could have been a pretty interesting bit of character arc for a part two for example.

It’s enjoyable but I am also little bit disappointed because I had wished it to be a tighter story that’s getting to the point quicker. Something both Rodriguez and Cameron were quite good at at some point during their career.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 30, 2019, 03:33:34 PM

This came out on digital and Blu Ray. I rented it and actually ended up quite enjoying it. Like someone up above said, I didn't notice her eyes after the first few minutes and was pleasantly surprised. I've never read the Manga so have no idea how true to the source it is but if they make a sequel I'm definitely interested in seeing her further adventures.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 03, 2019, 11:57:47 PM

Finally sat down and watched this also, and it's the exact same situation as Speed Racer.  It's too close to it's source material, if anything, and I'll be surprised if they make another.   The irony is that the changes they did make to the story are with perspective of how the rest of the series plays out, and were ironically for the better.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #66 on: September 17, 2019, 12:31:49 PM

I saw this movie on a plane, and I think I would have enjoyed listening to the crying baby more. Holy shit, this was terrible. Bad acting, bad casting, bad dialogue, a lot of the fight choreography looked dumb, and the while the eyes weren't creepy, the blank gelfling face sure was.  Jennifer Connely is still hot, however. So, there's that.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Alita: Battle Angel  
Jump to: