Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:18:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Altered Carbon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Altered Carbon  (Read 41549 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #105 on: March 03, 2020, 10:18:39 PM

Huh. Didn't realize it was 8 eps instead of ten. Tighter story for sure.  Enjoyed the season.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: March 05, 2020, 02:20:12 PM

I got a bit bored after ep 7 and didn't watch it for a week, didn't realise it was just one episode more. Finished it last night and.. eh. If it's mean to call it rushed and vapid, maybe I can say it's... eh... In terms of what they fit in first season felt like 20 episodes, and this one felt like 4..

I feel like I would have enjoyed it more if it accepted its limited scope and didn't try and make it about everything. I think they forced drama and meaning rather than enjoying the story they wanted to tell and letting it work its way out naturally, so it didn't really have any slow moments to build and release tension. It was just, next, next, next.

Tl;dr: It's watchable. It's not great - it's not leaving me wanting another season, and I won't talk about how good it is like (most of) Season 1 - but it's got fun moments.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: March 05, 2020, 02:37:18 PM

Don't really disagree with your take but i have a low enjoyment bar for TV scifi.

I thought Carrera was a highlight as well.  Guy mostly works in Germany so hope to see him in more stuff here.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: March 05, 2020, 11:24:11 PM

Yeah, kinda lost interest and checked out.  I probably didn't give it a fair enough shake, but it does not match up to S1 IMO.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: March 10, 2020, 07:38:47 AM

I am the .00000001428%
WayAbvPar

Reply #110 on: March 17, 2020, 12:58:49 PM

Finished S2 a few days ago. It had a very rocky start, but the last 3 eps were much better. I could never get into Falconer- she bores the shit out of me. I am not sure if it is a character thing, or an actor thing, but it is just really hard for me to give much of a shit. Mackie was better than I had anticipated, but still a long way down from Kinnaman.

I really loved
One quick spoiler-y question-
I hope they do a season 3. I could use a break from Kovacs/Falconer. Such a cool world- it should be relatively easy to concoct an interesting story.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: March 18, 2020, 05:00:43 AM

One quick spoiler-y question-

My take on this -
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: March 18, 2020, 10:33:32 PM

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #113 on: March 19, 2020, 08:40:46 AM

Good point. I forgot he showed up later.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #114 on: May 20, 2020, 05:47:23 PM

Lamaros, I strongly disagree with your take on S1. Altered Carbon is one of the best sci-fi shows of recent years, the best cyberpunk I've ever seen in video form. The second half of the first season is brilliant.

I haven't been able to start watching season 2 yet, but if your numerous posts and previous takes are any indication, I might love it.

Finally managed to watch S2! I enjoyed it. I think I would like anything set in the Altered Carbon universe. I savoured this season over a couple of weeks, as I'm currently primary carer of my 10-month-old son. Bingeing TV or watching a whole movie is never a thing anymore, and when I do get a chance I fall asleep instead.

I thought Mackie was really good. He was still Kovacs. Telling the story of Harlan's World made sense to me as the next thing after S1. I enjoyed the world-building again. In gaming I am often an explorer type, so perhaps it's something about me enjoying believable fictional worlds. Cyberpunk, being near-future science fiction and mostly an extension of current technologies, helps me suspend disbelief.

Please don't read this spoiler if you haven't watched it.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: August 26, 2020, 12:20:38 PM

Cancelled.

-H.L. Mencken
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: August 26, 2020, 12:39:42 PM

That sounds about right. I couldn't get passed the first 3-4 episodes of S2.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: August 26, 2020, 12:54:01 PM

That sounds about right. I couldn't get passed the first 3-4 episodes of S2.
It was not a smooth transition between seasons.  Same problem here.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #118 on: August 26, 2020, 07:16:45 PM

Were I Amazon Prime Video, I would try to pick this up Expanse style. Promise to do it better than season 2, let the nerds hype it for you, and be happy with the audience that results because it's a Netflix-level audience again on Prime.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #119 on: August 27, 2020, 09:44:34 AM

I don't think I made it past the 1st ep of season 2, but I did enjoy the anime (as someone who doesn't enjoy anime, I was impressed af).
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #120 on: August 27, 2020, 11:13:13 AM

I don't think I made it past the 1st ep of season 2, but I did enjoy the anime (as someone who doesn't enjoy anime, I was impressed af).

Same here, unfortunately, although it is a series that I'll eventually go back to. I'll have to check out the anime.

-Rasix
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #121 on: August 28, 2020, 06:40:32 PM

I think I made it like 2-4 eps, it just felt very forced. Victim of how hype I was to watch it I guess. Shame really.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #122 on: August 30, 2020, 12:30:25 PM

S2 was a huge letdown. Was hoping for a S3 with no mention of Quellcrist. I like the setting, but goddamn that character bores the absolute shit out of me.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: August 30, 2020, 04:59:50 PM

At this point, I think I'd rather they let it sit for 8 years and then reboot it.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: August 30, 2020, 10:39:47 PM

Season 1:  Outstanding, watched it twice.
Season 2:  I guess I watched it.  I remember literally nothing.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: September 01, 2020, 02:31:49 AM

I started typing a thing about watching this and all the stuff I liked and midway through realised that actually all the positive points I was making were from Season 1 and the only bits of Season 2 I remembered were the disappointing parts. I found the archaeologist AI kind of fun and the overarching plot was a nice bit of worldbuilding but none of the sideplots were very enjoyable and it was really forgettable.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Altered Carbon  
Jump to: