Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:42:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Altered Carbon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Altered Carbon  (Read 41547 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: September 04, 2019, 09:40:41 AM

And I know you get the irony of that entirely.

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #71 on: September 04, 2019, 07:00:04 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #72 on: September 04, 2019, 07:21:57 PM

Happiness is me.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #73 on: September 04, 2019, 08:13:58 PM

In this series, death is just a brief dirt-nap. The *protagonist* is dead several times over by any rational measure, even in-universe.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #74 on: September 21, 2019, 10:41:32 AM

Well with Poe it's slightly different, since he's an AI and they sort of erased/melted him.  Same in universe if you destroy somebodies chip.

I really liked him also, but kind of cheapens the death to bring him back.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 22, 2019, 03:23:45 AM

Seems to me an AI is the easiest person to bring back.  He could literally just pulled from a floppy disk backup.  “Oh look, here’s Poe right here in this thumbdrive I forgot I had in my pocket.  I am probably missing some critical detail.  I honestly don’t remember shit from this show, I don’t think I was paying close enough attention when I watched it the first time.

Wait, I remember hot Latina lady.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 22, 2019, 04:33:06 AM

Hot Latina Lady was the highlight for me as well.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: September 22, 2019, 05:58:20 AM

My only regret about a second series not in the same place with the same people is the removal of Hot Latina Lady.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: September 22, 2019, 06:36:09 AM

I am glad we are all on the same page in this regard.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 22, 2019, 06:39:37 AM

Hot Latina Lady 2020

-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 22, 2019, 07:24:33 AM

Hot Latina Lady in I-Land Vs Hot Latina Lady in Altered Carbon.

FIGHT.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: September 22, 2019, 06:46:29 PM

Hot Latina Lady was the highlight for me as well.
Apparently she's so notorious for doing nude scenes that some Mexican satire site did a joke about her stripping down for a radio interview.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #82 on: September 23, 2019, 07:53:53 AM

No one should make Hot Latina Lady feel bad about getting nekkid. It is a wonder to behold.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #83 on: September 25, 2019, 06:37:31 PM

The Poe actor is listed as being in the second season.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 21, 2020, 05:31:12 PM

Teaser out with absolutely no substance and pretty close release date (2/27/20):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_diaRwW6a4

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 21, 2020, 09:47:43 PM

OMG yet another thing I have to watch that I don't have time for because I am so busy watching things.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #86 on: February 04, 2020, 01:40:50 PM

New teaser with marginally more content.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: February 07, 2020, 11:00:45 PM

Re-watching the first season in anticipation of S2 and can't believe I missed some Baby Metal as some diegetic music in ep 3.

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #88 on: February 08, 2020, 01:02:06 PM

I rewatched with my wife (her first time through) recently, and it made a LOT more sense the second time through. I was a little foggy on some of the plot points after about Ep 5 or 6 (although that may just have been the overdose of endorphins when Ortega got naked).

I am not a huge fan of Anthony Mackie, but I have high hopes for S2 regardless.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: February 24, 2020, 01:53:34 AM

Started re-watching in anticipation of S2, and I like it better on this go around and that's even before getting to the bits about Ortega's bits.  I think I was pre-occupied first time I watched this and/or this just improves on a second viewing.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: February 24, 2020, 12:04:58 PM

I rewatched it again too and liked it more.  Still think the last couple of eps get way too wordy/expositiony but it was a solid season.

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: February 24, 2020, 03:07:59 PM

The second half of the series was pretty bad. The current day stuff was ok in bits (the sister stuff was stupid bad), but the history was very cheap for what it was trying to convey, and I found it really undercut a lot of what had been built to that point.

First half was some quality TV though.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: February 27, 2020, 02:17:35 AM

One and a bit episodes in to S2 and it feels all off. Busy and boring.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: February 28, 2020, 12:26:36 AM

I just finished the re-watch of S1....and while I still generally agree that the second half of the season is not as good as the first, my opinion of it was much improved on second viewing.  I think I was just generally better able to follow-along the second time around.

Bummer if the second season drops off.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: February 28, 2020, 03:14:50 PM

It get a bit better, but never really settles into being especially good, for me.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: March 01, 2020, 03:15:46 PM

They really toned down the hot naked girl quota for the second season.

I am the .00000001428%
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: March 01, 2020, 04:10:20 PM

They really toned down the hot naked girl quota for the second season.

And the naked guy quota.

And having an interesting mystery to drive the plot.

And any sort of pacing.

This season feels like they're just painting in the numbers to get to the next scene.. every scene.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #97 on: March 01, 2020, 04:21:46 PM

Lamaros, I strongly disagree with your take on S1. Altered Carbon is one of the best sci-fi shows of recent years, the best cyberpunk I've ever seen in video form. The second half of the first season is brilliant.

I haven't been able to start watching season 2 yet, but if your numerous posts and previous takes are any indication, I might love it.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: March 01, 2020, 05:06:36 PM

If the fact that I agree with you about the first half of S1 and disagree about the second half is any indication, you might equally dislike it.

But I like your positive thinking.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 01, 2020, 11:05:54 PM

I am only three episodes into S2, and despite a rocky start with the first episode (okay, technically I was also drunk and not paying close attention) I like it plenty.  I miss Joel Kinnaman, because that dude was literally perfect for the role of Kovacs.  I think that may be the one thing that makes it most difficult to get into it again.

But yeah, still good cyberpunk, the best that has ever been on TV.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 02, 2020, 12:01:05 AM

I agree with missing Kinneman. But I'm six episodes in and this is good shit. 

Having the

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: March 02, 2020, 12:28:26 AM

I try not get get all fanboi about stuff, but I guess I haven't lost that part of me that can still wonder at the idea that we are privileged enough that we get to see stuff like this.  Everything has flaws, but holy shit are we spoiled when we can watch something like this and think "meh".

Not meant as a dig at Lamaros, I think most people do it.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 02, 2020, 12:38:15 AM

I hear ya. Read today that the first season was the most expensive season of television ever produced. You can tell they scaled it back this season but this is solid sci-fi and even rarer cyber-punk. Between this and The Expanse I am in hog heaven.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 12:43:11 AM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 02, 2020, 04:50:25 AM

I'm aware I'm more critical, I also watch a lot less tv than most it seems, so feel like I can afford to be picky and only watch really wonderful stuff. It's not bad tv. It's just not first season True Detective, first season Westworld, etc great.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 02, 2020, 09:12:22 AM

Heh, we have noticed. 

The discussion makes me think of stuff like all the Marvel stuff on Netflix.  While I can see and understand all the complaints, I still basically love it all.  I still have that kid in me that hasn’t become so cynical and/or let’s me overlook the flaws.  I am thankful for that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Altered Carbon  
Jump to: