Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:01:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Projects 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Projects  (Read 107365 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 06:22:11 PM

Mister and Hipster
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 10:39:14 PM

Christmas party is Friday, I’ll take a vote.  Daughter wants Herp and Derp, son suggested two Pokemon I can’t remember  Ohhhhh, I see.

Kegerator is loaded with IPA and pale ale.  Had to dial back the regulator to 8psi from the expected 10-12 to slow the pour and cut the foam, but I think that’s just due to the system not stabilizing yet (or the microbrewery carbing more than I expected). I’ll have to tweak it again tomorrow when it’s settled.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: December 20, 2017, 06:19:32 AM

The main obstacle to doing anything useful with my den is that it's five doorways all opening onto one small room.  It's basically Sigil, the City of Doors.  
That's my living room, 5 doors in a roughly 16x16 room. Except one of the doors is an oversized french door to the patio, there's a large picture window, and the wood stove basically takes up an entire wall. This year I've tried to integrate a reading chair and it's thrown everything into chaos.

Oh, "Statler" and "Waldorf"
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 09:04:52 AM

Daughter's new suggestion: Garfunkel and Oates

Top finish is complete, had to use panorama mode to get the whole thing in frame so yay distortion!

No substantial progress on the sideboard yet, too much time spent cleaning house

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39 on: December 20, 2017, 09:19:36 AM

Looks awesome!  You gotta repaint that room now though.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 09:39:59 AM

Before paint would be replacing the counters with granite, and replacing the terrible wall tiles by the wood stove with island-themed stuff.  Which would be a lot of work, since it'll be a lot of random-sized tiles and cutting of others to fill the gaps.  Probably swap the appliances for stainless as well.

I'm not sure how I ended up with those ugly tiles in the first place--somehow the contractor wound up picking them, and then didn't actually finish installing them.  I've got a giant gap where the stovepipe meets the wall, and the outlet covers won't go on.  Longer screws will fix the latter, but the former requires getting out the tile saw and doing some surgery.  

The stove itself has to stay.  It's my backup heat for the house, and temps will be down to around 15-20 during the day and 6-10 at night for the next week or so.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:43:42 AM by Polysorbate80 »

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #41 on: December 20, 2017, 09:48:19 AM

Before paint would be replacing the counters with granite, and replacing the terrible wall tiles by the wood stove with island-themed stuff.  Which would be a lot of work, since it'll be a lot of random-sized tiles and cutting of others to fill the gaps.  Probably swap the appliances for stainless as well.

I'm not sure how I ended up with those ugly tiles in the first place--somehow the contractor wound up picking them, and then didn't actually finish installing them.  I've got a giant gap where the stovepipe meets the wall, and the outlet covers won't go on.  Longer screws will fix the latter, but the former requires getting out the tile saw and doing some surgery.  

The stove itself has to stay.  It's my backup heat for the house, and temps will be down to around 15-20 during the day and 6-10 at night for the next week or so.
WOOOD STOVE STAYS

Can you put a collar on the pipe?
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 20, 2017, 10:11:28 AM

It's collared where it goes through the drywall.  I'm thinking that's why the contractor (or his minion, some of them weren't too bright) left off that bit of tile.  They couldn't figure out how to get the tile to lie flat over the collar or cut it to fit a round shape.

Me, I would have moved the collar out to sit over the tile, and used it to hide where the tile was trimmed  awesome, for real

Edit: found a photo that had the pipe in it.  It's been this way for over a year, I should just fix it myself but I keep foolishly hoping he'll get back to it.  He is slowly finishing up all the little things, but it's ridiculous.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:19:34 PM by Polysorbate80 »

schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: December 20, 2017, 12:37:45 PM

jessica

&

rabbit
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 20, 2017, 01:09:57 PM

Blips and Chitz.

Gonzo and Duke

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 03:47:40 PM

Sweat and Tears.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 20, 2017, 06:43:16 PM

Moe and Curly

- Viin
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 21, 2017, 06:51:43 AM

Yin and Yang.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #48 on: December 21, 2017, 03:04:26 PM

Micky and Finn.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 21, 2017, 03:28:41 PM

Drunk & Disorderly

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 22, 2017, 04:46:26 PM

That was the first suggestion I made, which got immediately shot down  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Wanted to get further with the sideboard for the bar, but I wound up spending the morning burying a horse.  Got a call last night from the neighbor saying our horse was in distress.  She had a bout of colic a couple months ago but we got to her in time; this time it was too late and she had to be put down.  I don't have an excavator, but a neighbor was kind enough to help out.

I did get a couple of the legs rough fitted.  This would go way faster if I glued & screwed all the parts, but I can't make myself cut too many corners, even though the wood (other than the top) is cheap lumber.  Need to clean up the fit, then two more legs to go.  After that, fit on the base and shelves, and then the back.  I plan on doors over the center shelves (so I can lock the liquor in, daughter is a teenager now...) but I'll probably put them off until later.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 24, 2017, 08:03:02 AM

Samwise is the winner (once I explained who Don and Vic were), but Bob and Doug came in a strong second

I had to bring the sideboard in the house for the glue to cure (it's 6 degrees F outside), but it's together enough to function as a shelf

I hoped to get the back on as well but I needed time for baking

Linzertorte turned out deeelicious.  The crust recipe was a little to fragile to properly weave the lattice (-style points) but I think adding a little more moisture to that half of the dough ball would solve that next time.  Definitely on the "bake again" list!

Won't get any more done until I'm back from Hawaii in January.  I hope to find some bar stools while in Kauai, there's a guy in Hanapepe that makes great Koa furniture.  At least I hope so--he's an older guy, I hope he hasn't retired or anything.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 08:05:52 AM by Polysorbate80 »

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 24, 2017, 11:12:40 AM

I'm so enjoying vicariously living through your pics, Poly, but I'm afraid I'll need to sample that pie/torte in person to properly assess it's flavor.  I'll message you my address and expect expedited delivery.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

(aka looking awesome!  I like the dark-light-dark of the sideboard top there.  It's a nice effect.)

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #53 on: December 26, 2017, 05:39:35 PM

Wait, did you mention you had to bury a horse in that thread?  ACK!

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #54 on: December 26, 2017, 05:55:44 PM

Wait, did you mention you had to bury a horse in that thread?  ACK!

My exact thoughts....

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 26, 2017, 08:37:50 PM

Yes, I did. There is now a horse buried in my lower pasture Ohhhhh, I see.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 27, 2017, 11:05:38 AM

I had to bury a cat in the last month, and it was more labor intensive than I remembered.  I sincerely hope you have access to a backhoe.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 27, 2017, 12:36:01 PM

Neighbor’s excavator.  Heavy equipment is the only practical option—you a hole large enough to bury a horse with three feet of soil to keep from attracting scavengers.

Plus it’s snowy and cold back home. Princeville is warm and only occasionally rainy right now

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 27, 2017, 06:09:01 PM

Stools ordered!  He’s got a backlog though, might be summer. Going to have to buy some substitutes to fill in until then

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 11, 2018, 08:54:35 AM

Back in town, back to work.  Got the back on and started the trim (I'll be putting bamboo on the sides as well to match the bar)

But progress was slow--I got sidetracked having a beer and unpacking my loot

There was actually more--gave away two bottles of spice and two of the dark, and there's still a couple bottles that haven't been unpacked yet.

I'm fully aware I may have a problem  Ohhhhh, I see.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #60 on: January 12, 2018, 11:58:17 AM

Watch out for Pirates

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 12, 2018, 01:06:57 PM

I am a pirate at heart.  It's ninjas I watch out for

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #62 on: January 12, 2018, 01:44:00 PM

So when are you inviting all of F13 over for a party?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 12, 2018, 02:07:21 PM

Not sure who wants to come to northern Idaho to visit, and right now is cold and slushy...

For those who don't live on the Palouse (and I think a couple other f13'ers do) the best time to visit is late May.

That's usually when our annual crop of lilacs and kittens comes in  awesome, for real

(nobody can have the cat.  Opal is too much of a sweetie)

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 17, 2018, 08:48:41 AM

Nearly done, I've got the door glued up but I need to smooth it, and I need to put in the racks to hang the stemware from.  I'm in less of a rush on all that, since I've got an unexpected house guest living in my basement.  It's not my place to discuss my friend's issues, but without counseling he and his wife will almost certainly wind up divorced.  Hell, it might go that way with marriage counseling, but we'll see...

BUT:  it was a good excuse to buy that larger TV I've been looking at for the basement.  The kids watch TV/play videogames on the 60" down there, and I don't want them in his face all the time, so I moved that television up to the second floor where their rooms are, and bought a 75" as well as a wall mount.  Costco had entirely reasonable rates for 4k Samsungs in that size.

I've avoided putting up the wall mount there in the past since that's a wet wall, and fucking up and drilling into the pex tubing or a drain pipe would be a disaster.  Wound up taking the better part of an hour to triple-check and measure, and it worked out.  It still winds up looking small, since the wall is 13'8" from the corner to the doorway, and about 16' altogether.  Putting in the speakers for surround sound will take up some of that open space.  I still need to order the receiver and speakers, so that'll be a while.  The rear two for the 7.1 will unfortunately have to be in-ceiling speakers, which isn't ideal, but it'll work.

schild
Administrator

Reply #65 on: January 17, 2018, 08:52:34 AM

Not sure who wants to come to northern Idaho to visit

not me
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 17, 2018, 08:53:47 AM

Not sure who wants to come to northern Idaho to visit

not me

I expect that to be the opinion of most reasonably sane people  awesome, for real

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #67 on: January 18, 2018, 06:24:40 PM

In one thread Polysorbate80 built a tiki bar, buried a horse, and he's now taking in a boarder.

I mean you're keeping it interesting up there in crazy ass Idaho at least!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #68 on: January 19, 2018, 01:49:09 PM

I don't know about northern Idaho, but I love Yellowstone.  Convincing the wife to visit what amounts to a random internet dude might be a tough sell, but I figure once the boy goes off to college everything is fair game for me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 21, 2018, 04:52:08 PM

Door on? Check!

Glasses hanging?  Check!

Knick-knacks tossed on?  Check!

Tasty beverage to enjoy?  Check!

(must add paper umbrellas to amazon shopping list)

Convincing the wife to visit what amounts to a random internet dude might be a tough sell, but I figure once the boy goes off to college everything is fair game for me.

In all fairness, I do have bodies buried out in the back 40  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Projects  
Jump to: