Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Episode X: Electronic Arts Strikes Down 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars Episode X: Electronic Arts Strikes Down  (Read 16442 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #70 on: November 29, 2017, 10:42:25 AM

Yeah, however those are variants that emerged as a consequence of the rarity format, not inherently part of the design of the game. The rarity was meant to drive card sales, draft and sealed formats arose because of that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #71 on: November 29, 2017, 11:12:12 AM

That's why I stopped playing MtG and any other kind of card game like that back in the 90s. Terrible.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #72 on: November 29, 2017, 12:07:01 PM

I know it's fun for some, but the collection and false scarcity was always bullshit.

Meh, not that unpopular opinion. That is usually my burn out point as well, and it's why I haven't even bothered touching the latest set of Hex. Still doesn't mean I want an entire game genre wiped out because our idiot politicians are too dumb to understand it well enough to not actually regulate an industry unto death or trust them enough to regulate an industry with a deft enough touch that the thing that makes the game fun isn't overshadowed by the ability of asshats like EA to ruin it with shitty business practices.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 29, 2017, 04:58:37 PM

Yeah, however those are variants that emerged as a consequence of the rarity format, not inherently part of the design of the game. The rarity was meant to drive card sales, draft and sealed formats arose because of that.
LCGs are the kind of game you want. TCGs are inherently different.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
WayAbvPar

Reply #74 on: November 29, 2017, 11:56:50 PM

Like this Congress will do anything on behalf of consumers. EA will just buy some of the retards like Gohmert or Issa and we will be allowed to continue spreading our cheeks.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 02, 2017, 01:08:51 PM

And from a selfish point of view, the issue to me isn't so much gambling (i.e. the only real legal complaint that seems to be floating around) but the idea that the upper cost on a lot of these games is basically infinity.  I like to buy a game and own that game, I don't like the idea of renting a license and being offered a part of a program which is continually being expanded and changed and re-jiggered every week to include some more extra bits I can buy for as long as the developer decides to let me use their software.  This is profitable, people buy it, it's been around for years even though it's been getting worse recently.

So I don't think the idea of taking EA or whoever to court is likely to benefit me personally in any way.  So they have to list the percentage payouts for their loot crates or run an age verification before they let you buy anything or something, I don't see any of this micro-DLC stuff going away long term.  Absolute most extreme scenario is that lootboxes are totally outlawed, and we'll still be back to constant microtransactions and titanic grinds for imaginary currencies, so like 95% of this stuff is going to continue on it's current course.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Episode X: Electronic Arts Strikes Down  
Jump to: