Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Episode X: Electronic Arts Strikes Down 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars Episode X: Electronic Arts Strikes Down  (Read 16440 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: November 13, 2017, 11:22:27 AM

I think this quote from EA isn't going over well (sitting at -395k as I post this): https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98/?st=j9y91vfu&sh=16f42e2a

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:53 AM

Because it's horseshit. What they're doing is weasel-wording "we looked at the beta and decided microtrans weren't incentivised enough vs. gameplay. So we cranked gameplay unlock time through the roof so you'd pay us an additional $80 on top of the game price."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:38:16 AM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:23:12 AM

People still play EA games?

Wait, let me rephrase that.

People whom I otherwise generally respect still play EA games?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:32:45 AM

Garden Warfare 1/2 is pretty fun.  Otherwise, no?

Also, no one else has made The Sims, so there is that niche.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 12:36:11 PM

The nice thing about EA games is that since they aren't on Steam, I forget they exist entirely.

Except Madden, but that also nicely sums up my feelings on EA: locking down a franchise so they can release mediocre games without competition. Maybe we'll see backward compat for 2k5 on the BoneX...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 12:42:33 PM

Not sure about your level of general respect for me, but I do play Battlefield 4 - though I likely haven't booted it up in almost a year.

And I did buy a used copy of Madden 17 for my PS4 and played it.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 01:37:51 PM

Apparently, EA has removed the refund button from Battlefront 2 pre-orders. Facepalm  People have been spending an hour or more trying to get live support to cancel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7ctj17/ea_has_removed_the_refund_button_from_their/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV_PzRb1pLk

Edit: Aaaand it looks like it really is P2W.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmRTfxORTtc
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:49:44 PM by Ginaz »
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 03:04:54 PM

star wars as a property is pay to win

the dialogue and stories suck soooooooo

i don't see what the problem here is

buy toys
buy virtual toys
like whatever
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 04:49:36 PM

What does that even mean?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 07:37:48 PM

No, but their 13 year old sons do with their friends. I just get to bitch about it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 07:07:43 AM

What does that even mean?

my post?

star wars only exists to sell garbage
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 11:14:01 AM

After the shitstorm reached Cat 5 EA/Dice decided that a Reddit AMA might be a great idea.

It went exactly as you’d expect.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 11:25:53 AM

Apparently it would take 4,528 hours of gameplay or $2,100 to unlock all the content.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 07:58:52 PM

It looks like EA is in full panic mode from all the negative press and a possible investigation by Belgium authorities on whether or not their loot crates constitute gambling.  The shit show has gotten so bad they've even stopped selling their real money currency used to buy the loot crates. awesome, for real

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/16/ea-star-wars-battlefront-ii-crystal-purchases/
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 12:51:34 AM

Temporarily, until they "fix the gameplay" (i.e until the shitstorm blows over)

Also lootboxes are not gambling at least not in a legal sense. There is always a payout even if it's just common crap so it unfortunately doesn't fit the legal definition of gambling in most jurisdictions - and the game publishers know this. The UK government was petitioned last month to look into the issue of loot boxes and other random rewards and the official statement was that it "doesn't constitute gambling under the current legal statutes". For the reasons stated above.

They also said though, that they will amend their laws to deal with loot box shenanigans because they realized how fucked up it is.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 02:14:04 AM

Well, that didn't last long (half a year):Jon Shafer moves on from Paradox Interactive. Must have been pretty big "creative differences".
(Jon Shafer was the lead designer on Civ 5)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 03:38:14 AM

He was lead designer for vanilla Civ V, which sucked shit, and then the game magically became one of the best in the series with the G&K expansion after he left.  I'm going to say the creative difference is that Paradox didn't want to make a generic shitty game.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 03:51:10 AM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 08:18:40 AM

I just wish Shafer and Kael had been able to make FFH3.

why so serious?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 03:51:47 PM

While funny that doesn't make sense as Disney is one of the greediest companies there is.
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 08:43:13 PM

Disney would use the blood squeezed from a stone as ink to print money if they could get away with it.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 12:41:53 AM

Be that as it may, they are apparently the ones that stepped in and told EA to knock it off before they pull the plug on their license agreement.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 02:40:33 AM

Disney would use the blood squeezed from a stone as ink to print money if they could get away with it.

Yeah, but Disney preys on parents and their desire to make their kids happy and is not pushing what’s essentially gambling to kids. They might make you buy hundreds of dollars worth of “Frozen” merchandise but at least it keeps your kids off your back Saturday morning and doesn’t lead to a lengthy “Gamblers anonymous” stint.

Disney got as huge as it is by being seen as wholesome and “suitable for kids”, they don’t want to be seen as the corporation that peddles three card Monty to children.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 07:36:12 AM

Disney knows how to get money from me with a 5 yo daughter who loves princesses and a 3 yo son who loves Kylo Ren  awesome, for real.

Toss in a family vacation to Disney and I'm out a lot of cash.

It's all worth it though. But fuck EA.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 02:41:17 PM

I see it more like Disney pushing EA to do things to maximize profits on the game not fully understanding what that might entail for video games and when the inevitable bad press hit, which Disney hates, Disney told EA to back off. I.e. I'm sure Disney was kept fully aware by EA that loot boxes and locked characters were going to be in the game but Disney didn't understand the ramifications since they don't understand video games until after all the publicity.

Edit: on the game
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:45:22 PM by Trippy »
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 04:27:47 AM

There's still a push to boycott the game until they give some kind of guarantee that if/when micro-transactions come back that it's only for cosmetic fluff stuff and not game altering/breaking shit.

Which is fine by me.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 04:02:01 PM

There's still a push to boycott the game until they give some kind of guarantee that if/when micro-transactions come back that it's only for cosmetic fluff stuff and not game altering/breaking shit.

Which is fine by me.

Fat chance of that.  They'll keep it out until the fury dies down and then reintroduce it and the game media will make some desultory "EA doing it again" articles buried under page six and it'll stir up a tenth of the outrage that this one did and then things will get worse.  They always get worse.  Like, remember when Bethesda was going to introduce paid modding, and then there was a huge outcry, so they reversed it, waited a while, and then reintroduced it?

Gotta boil that frog, man.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 08:31:13 AM

I see it more like Disney pushing EA to do things to maximize profits on the game not fully understanding what that might entail for video games and when the inevitable bad press hit, which Disney hates, Disney told EA to back off. I.e. I'm sure Disney was kept fully aware by EA that loot boxes and locked characters were going to be in the game but Disney didn't understand the ramifications since they don't understand video games until after all the publicity.

Edit: on the game

That's my take on it. They should take a more active role to dictate how EA monetizes the franchise, honestly. Not that I like it, but they have a model for it, and it seems to work (sell the base game and then sell the characters outright). Trying to obfuscate it per EA douchebaggery is the problem, not the money grabbing (from Disney's perspective). Look at their previous collectible-based games, they love that shit.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 10:09:27 AM

If by collectible-based games you mean Disney Infinity, they actually shut that down earlier this year.  So I'm not sure that they do love that shit.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 11:33:29 AM

Ah, didn't realize that.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 12:11:23 PM

Infinity already irritated lots of people at Disney because mixing characters/worlds is a strict no-no.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 12:14:17 PM

Hence Kingdom Hearts. Wait...
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 12:41:16 PM

Hence Kingdom Hearts. Wait...

No one can explain how or why KH works. I'm told really good drugs helps.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 02:14:51 PM

At this point I suspect they're running mostly on nostalgia, since it's been more than a decade since KH2 came out.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Episode X: Electronic Arts Strikes Down  
Jump to: