Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  (Read 65258 times)
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: May 28, 2018, 09:50:31 AM

I also enjoyed the shit out of this movie.

I think its the best of any of the non original trilogy movies. It was just a fun heist movie set in the Star Wars universe.
One of the things I liked vs all of the other recent movies was the cheese level was so much less.

As for the people complaining about the actor playing Han I totally agree with what Hawkbit said.  "If he didn't seem as grizzled as the Solo we see in IV, well, he wasn't yet. He was still a bit of a kid and has 10-20 more years of smuggling to become Ford's Solo." Also he did copy some of Harrison Ford's mannerism for example the pose he does as he fires his blaster was totally reminiscent of Harrison Ford's Solo.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: May 28, 2018, 09:55:45 AM

As an aside, they are tossing rumors out that a Boba Fett Movie is in the works. Does not deserve its own thread but for what its worth.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-boba-fett-movie-is-happening-james-mangold-direct-1113273

Hic sunt dracones.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: May 28, 2018, 01:48:40 PM

Seems a few Star Wars Galaxies references made it into the film, the AV-21 speeder and the valahorn musical instrument.  There was also a reference to Qi’ra being proficient in the Teras Kasi fighting style, though Teras Kasi appeared somewhere in the EU years before SWG.

http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/28/solo-has-a-couple-blink-and-youll-miss-it-references-to-star-wars-galaxies/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:56:59 PM by Ginaz »
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: May 28, 2018, 02:22:12 PM

This was good.  Thank fuck.

Why don't you try our other games?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: May 28, 2018, 04:51:06 PM

I thought Teras Kasi was from KOTOR

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: May 28, 2018, 04:53:18 PM

There was a PSX SW fighting game called Masters of Teras Kasi; that's the first place I'd heard of it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: May 28, 2018, 05:14:12 PM

There was a PSX SW fighting game called Masters of Teras Kasi; that's the first place I'd heard of it.

"Teräs Käsi first appeared in the 1996 novel Shadows of the Empire."  I think I read that one but don't remember anything about Teras Kasi but that doesn't mean anything because it's been over 20 years.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ter%C3%A4s_K%C3%A4si
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: May 28, 2018, 05:31:06 PM

Not a great movie, not bad.  If it was not Star Wars it would not have been noteworthy.  

Han and Lando were about 25% recognizable.  I'd like to have seen a bit more that was recognizable in each.  The argument that this is a younger an more naive Han Solo ignores ...  

Qi'ra (Mother of Dragons) was a thin character.  They needed to give us more of her motivation.  She felt too random.  

L3 was a noble idea, but it felt half hearted, cliche and a bit too pandering to me.  The analogy was clear, but when that journey is carried forward by the comic relief that ...
Woody Harrelson did well with the role, but he needed more room.  I'd have liked to seen him be a darker mirror to future Han.  Instead, he just seemed tired.

The best acting in the film was too short.  
It feels like it is set up for a sequel... but I'm not sure it will get it given the numbers.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: May 28, 2018, 06:34:49 PM

The most enjoyable movie of all the Disney SW movies for me.  Although Rogue One was probably a better movie.

Lots of fanboys seem to be downgrading the movie to punish Disney for TLJ.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: May 29, 2018, 07:36:00 AM

Lots of fanboys seem to be downgrading the movie to punish Disney for TLJ.

I think it was more bad press from a troubled production and going up against Deadpool 2 and Infinity War, which took something like 60 million combined between them. Word of mouth should be good at least.

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #115 on: May 29, 2018, 10:26:03 AM

It feels like it is set up for a sequel... but I'm not sure it will get it given the numbers.

I think it absolutely will get a sequel. The movie has already grossed over $168M worldwide in a weekend, which no matter how you slice it isn't a bad return for an opener unless you have absurd expectations. It would make it one of the top 10 openings of 2017 if I'm reading numbers right.

The movie won't lose money with all the streaming rights, and the remainder if the time in the theaters, even though it cost close to $250M, and the only reason it cost that much is because they completely fucked up the production schedule and everybody knows it.

Let Howard do the sequel and set a reasonable budget of probably HALF what it cost? Oh and don't release it 5 months after the last movie and in the middle of summer blockbuster season? It'll print cash.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: May 29, 2018, 10:45:40 AM

I think it absolutely will get a sequel. The movie has already grossed over $168M worldwide in a weekend, which no matter how you slice it isn't a bad return for an opener unless you have absurd expectations. It would make it one of the top 10 openings of 2017 if I'm reading numbers right.

The movie won't lose money with all the streaming rights, and the remainder if the time in the theaters, even though it cost close to $250M, and the only reason it cost that much is because they completely fucked up the production schedule and everybody knows it.

Let Howard do the sequel and set a reasonable budget of probably HALF what it cost? Oh and don't release it 5 months after the last movie and in the middle of summer blockbuster season? It'll print cash.

Supposedly it cost around $300 million to make before advertisement costs. Given the general percentage of what Disney likely gets after the theaters get their cut? Could take as much as $500-$600 million (possibly a bit more) to break even -- and there is no way it is getting those kinds of numbers. Disney's original expectations were that it would get $150-$170 million domestic for the 4 day opening and it fell quite short of that and the international numbers have been down-right abysmal, with (I believe) only Japan left to open in.

The next weekend will show, I think, whether or not it has any kind of legs. It needs Jumanji levels of legs to have any hope of breaking even (meaning it needs 25-35% week to week drops, which is rare). 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #117 on: May 29, 2018, 12:25:42 PM

I still think that it gets a shot because the budget was insane and caused by complete meltdowns in production. I think given a normal budget it would have been a winner. Rogue One was around 220M after incentives and that was a much more difficult movie to shoot in my opinion.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: May 29, 2018, 04:25:02 PM

Oh this movie a bombed. I'd blame the last jedi but Disney had it coming.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #119 on: May 29, 2018, 09:51:27 PM

It's a funny world where we can say an $84 million opening weekend is a bomb.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: May 30, 2018, 04:04:24 AM

Budget: 250 million USD
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: May 30, 2018, 06:09:33 AM

Still not understanding either how this is a bomb though.  Where does it say that movies have to make their budget back plus on opening weekend?  Sure, the biggest blockbusters seem to do that along with even more $$$ but why has that become the determiner of whether a movie is a success or not?

I mean, come on... it got Yegolev to buy plastic cups!  Marketing the toys/product tie-ins is where it's all at, after all!  why so serious?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: May 30, 2018, 07:02:05 AM

Successful movies do about 10% of their total gross on the opening weekend, bombs do about 30%.

Also gross is what the box office gets not what the studio gets.

Taken together if opening < budget it is at least possible the film won't be a financial success. In this particular case it is stupid analysis because the film will sell star wars junk, and Disney will expect a drop as they have used this release to switch Star Wars month from December to May, which they've been trying to do with every prior Star Wars release.

What it doesn't mean of course is that the movie is any good. But for some reason star wars films reflexively make f13 talk about economics.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:47:49 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: May 30, 2018, 07:07:48 AM

Another thing to consider is opportunity cost.  A film that makes money, but not as much as expected, means that financial projections by the studio are off... and investors get ticked when the company makes less money than anticipated.  That forces the studio to make changes to try to get confidence back.  Accordingly, if people thought this movie would make a huge amount of money, even if it still makes some money, it can be a huge failure that has heavy impacts.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: May 30, 2018, 07:09:43 AM

Seems a few Star Wars Galaxies references made it into the film, the AV-21 speeder and the valahorn musical instrument.  There was also a reference to Qi’ra being proficient in the Teras Kasi fighting style, though Teras Kasi appeared somewhere in the EU years before SWG.

http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/28/solo-has-a-couple-blink-and-youll-miss-it-references-to-star-wars-galaxies/

The character woody plays just 100% nails the look feel of smugglers in SWTOR as well.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 30, 2018, 12:36:36 PM

We don’t know if this movie will have any legs yet.  I’m thinking it will because it’s better than the disaster people were expecting.  It might be able to ground out some real money.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #126 on: May 30, 2018, 02:13:11 PM

It's a good movie. It's not a great movie, but it's a fun movie and way better than Rogue One in my mind which I didn't care for with the exception of everything Vader.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: June 03, 2018, 10:20:50 AM

Well, I guess this is officially a "flop".  It made just under $30 million in NA this weekend with no new competition opening.  That's a drop of about 65% from last weekend, with revenue of $264 million globally to date.  With the few weeks seeing major releases (Ocean's 8, Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2) it's not going to get much better.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/03/media/solo-a-star-wars-story-box-office/index.html

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #128 on: June 03, 2018, 10:30:51 AM

I watched it yesterday, and I have to agree that the core problem is that there's no way this Han Solo becomes the Han Solo we see in ANH. The right pieces were there
 But there was no sign they were actually creating the bitter cynicism that Ford's Solo had to overcome. Instead, this Solo just has a Pollyanna can-do Dudley Do-right thing from beginning to end.

Glover clearly channeled Billy D's mannerisms and speech patterns, but absolutely nothing about Ehrenrich felt like Ford to me. Everything around him was clearly intended as an origin story for Han Solo, but it felt like he never actually arrived.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: June 03, 2018, 10:47:32 AM

Yeah, there's no way the movie breaks even at this rate. Production costs of $250-$300 million (and as time passes, more sources are moving to the $300 million number), plus apparently higher than normal ad costs (they did a lot of last minute buy ins and stuff, instead of advance purchases, leading to a higher than normal cost per slot) that could be anywhere from $100-150 million, means the movie cost anywhere from $350 - $500 million total. Given the average percentage studios get from movie theatres they need the movie to hit a minimum of $500 million to break even -- at the low end! If it's closer to the higher number it could mean they need as much as $700 million to break even. At this rate it isn't going to hit even the lower of the two. There is no way to describe the movie other than 'flop' when you're talking a loss of hundreds of millions.

Combine this with Star Wars toy sales declining over the past year and there's not a lot of silver lining for the franchise at the moment, which is amazing considering Star Wars is the franchise of franchises.

For comparison; Infinity War cost around $300 million to produce and they spent around $150 million in advertising (much of that with early purchasing, too -- supposedly more than half that budget was spent a year in advance letting them get more bang for the buck). Now, a lot of Solo's budget problems stem fro two sources; extensive re-shoots and a very late ad buy-in date, but the mere thought that these two movies cost roughly the same to produce and advertise? It really tells the tale of how badly they fucked up on Solo.

The side-story stuff is, by itself, not a bad idea for Star Wars, but they can't let the budgets get out of control. There is no way they should be more $100-$125 million maximum budget wise. If you bring it down closer to that number you're more likely to hit profitability regardless of how split the hardcore fan base is (and Star Wars is one of the few places where you generally need the hardcore fan base on side; they are the ones gobbling up a lot of the toys and seeing the movies 5+ times each in theatres, and then going out and buying every version of disc release). However, they are split. Some for idiotic reasons.. some for good reason.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: June 03, 2018, 10:47:50 AM

I watched it yesterday, and I have to agree that the core problem is that there's no way this Han Solo becomes the Han Solo we see in ANH. The right pieces were there
 But there was no sign they were actually creating the bitter cynicism that Ford's Solo had to overcome. Instead, this Solo just has a Pollyanna can-do Dudley Do-right thing from beginning to end.

Glover clearly channeled Billy D's mannerisms and speech patterns, but absolutely nothing about Ehrenrich felt like Ford to me. Everything around him was clearly intended as an origin story for Han Solo, but it felt like he never actually arrived.

--Dave

Donald Glover was perfect as Lando.  Loved him and it made me want him to have his own movie.  The guy playing Han Solo just didn't ring true to me as the Han Solo we've known all these years.  
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #131 on: June 03, 2018, 11:52:43 AM

I’m a SW fan but I’m not excited for this film.  I didn’t enjoy TLJ and it’s taken a lot of my enthusiasm for the franchise.

Question:  I have a chance to go tonight but need babysitter and effort.  Is it worth seeing in a cinema or wait for streaming in a few months?  Never thought I would skip a SW film in a theater but here we are.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: June 03, 2018, 11:55:23 AM

I’m a SW fan but I’m not excited for this film.  I didn’t enjoy TLJ and it’s taken a lot of my enthusiasm for the franchise.

Question:  I have a chance to go tonight but need babysitter and effort.  Is it worth seeing in a cinema or wait for streaming in a few months?  Never thought I would skip a SW film in a theater but here we are.

I think you've already answered your own question.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #133 on: June 03, 2018, 11:57:42 AM

Yeah but.... 😑
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: June 03, 2018, 12:14:53 PM

Avoid it. You won't like it.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: June 03, 2018, 10:01:17 PM

If you go into it expecting Theatrical Star Wars, you'll be disappointed.  However, it is like pretty good animated Star Wars stories (Clone Wars, Rebels).

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: June 03, 2018, 10:39:06 PM

I liked Solo almost as much as Rogue 1.  Definitely see it if you ever loved the old EU or West End Games RPG.  However, some theaters are showing it on outdated projectors causing it to look dark and murky, so make sure you go to a theater that you trust for quality.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: June 04, 2018, 06:50:22 AM

--Dave

It's the same reason he isn't ANH solo yet, because they wanted sequels to this.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: June 10, 2018, 05:00:48 PM

Looks like Kathleen Kennedy, who is in charge of the Star Wars movies, is stepping down after the failure of Solo and the mixed reaction to TLJ.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/971073/Star-Wars-Han-Solo-FLOP-Kathleen-Kennedy-QUIT-fire-Lucasfilm-fan-boycott-Dave-Filoni
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #139 on: June 15, 2018, 01:39:26 PM

Looks like Kathleen Kennedy, who is in charge of the Star Wars movies, is stepping down after the failure of Solo and the mixed reaction to TLJ.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/971073/Star-Wars-Han-Solo-FLOP-Kathleen-Kennedy-QUIT-fire-Lucasfilm-fan-boycott-Dave-Filoni

I think she's over it at this point. In terms of box office numbers, Force Awakens and Rogue One was amazing, and they've been consistently getting worse since then. They've lost control of the direction, the budgets, and the management of the movies themselves. It needs a new path. Frankly it needs a slower path and a more consistent plan.

Almost all of this is Disney's fault for trying to cram as much product down our throats as possible, and because of that ridiculous schedule it's also the fault of the producers to have completely different directors in every movie, and completely different writers in every movie with the exception of Lawrence Kasdan who is predictably on the only two movies I've liked so far (Force Awakens and Solo).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  
Jump to: