Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:14:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  (Read 65254 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 23, 2018, 10:53:33 AM

You have no idea. Just from watching a few SW videos on Youtube I've become constantly inundated with suggestion after suggestion for slight variations of "how SJWs ruined Star Wars". The amounts of hate shit like this gets makes me wish they did a lot more of it. It sure as fuck has zero effect at the box office no matter how many idiots bitch about it.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #71 on: May 23, 2018, 11:36:47 AM

I am surprised how many people are able to pass judgement on a pretty unremarkable character decisions without having seen the film.

Hello new internet user! Welcome! Have you taken our crash course on proper internet etiquette, known colloquially as 'netiquette'? Please direct your browser to any one of our fabulous social media websites for further details! (we suggest starting with Tumblr. We advise to begin by just reading a few threads to get familiar with the lay of the land, so to speak. We'll meet back up soon and discuss our opinions (no judgements!). 

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 23, 2018, 11:50:01 AM

It sure as fuck has zero effect at the box office no matter how many idiots bitch about it.

I disagree. The amount of free advertising the film gets via bitching is IMMENSE!! They want to make this movie the most talked about film of the period where it's in the theaters, so what better way to do it? And if it shows signs of dying down they dispatch a few professional trolls to fan the flames on both sides and away we go again.

Lets face it, they are going to get a few more pages on this thread out of this alone.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #73 on: May 23, 2018, 11:55:25 AM

Are you new to the Internet?

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: May 23, 2018, 12:39:05 PM

I'd watch this on Netflix because Donald Glover is Lando. But nothing from the trailers or reviews are convincing me this is worth 15 dollars when you can just watch deadpool 2 again.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 23, 2018, 12:41:38 PM

Shrug, it's Star Wars that's good enough for me until it ain't.

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: May 25, 2018, 04:42:22 AM

Well that was an entertaining couple hours. Alden Erheinrich never gave me a Harrison Ford vibe though.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 25, 2018, 04:24:13 PM

There is a huge middle finger to Marvel in here.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: May 25, 2018, 04:33:08 PM

Well that was an entertaining couple hours. Alden Erheinrich never gave me a Harrison Ford vibe though.
Agreed, on both counts. Good fun with relatively limited fan pandering.

Erheinrich's Han comes across as less a scoundrel than a scamp. None of Ford's snarling very little of his swagger. The original series character (and most of Harrison's acting) has a darkness and sarcastic menace that Elden doesn't capture.  He's only six years younger than Ford was in New Hope, so he hasn't got a lot of time to pick up all the bitter apathy he'd need to become that man. Still: fine plotting, snappy lines and two and a half great set pieces.

Die hard fans will grouse, but it's quality popcorn fare.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 25, 2018, 04:45:47 PM

Lando and the secondary characters really carried this. Loved Becket, L3-37, Rio and Enfys Nest specially.

I am the .00000001428%
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 25, 2018, 06:49:45 PM

Lando and the secondary characters really carried this. Loved Becket, L3-37, Rio and Enfys Nest specially.
Wait.  The drioid is called Leet?  Really?  I mean, come on......

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: May 26, 2018, 06:39:46 AM

Wait.  The drioid is called Leet?  Really?  I mean, come on......

It's Star Wars, one of the aliens playing cards with Lando is called Therm Scissorpunch. They only ever call her "L3" though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 06:44:56 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #82 on: May 26, 2018, 07:41:33 AM

If you ignore the two primaries in this flick and focus on the Star Wars, it’s not bad. Still better than the prequels.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #83 on: May 26, 2018, 10:44:18 AM

If you ignore the two primaries in this flick and focus on the Star Wars, it’s not bad. Still better than the prequels.
This deserves to become a meme a la "Epic Fail" or "There, fixed it".

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: May 26, 2018, 10:57:58 AM

Or "still a better love story than Twilight"

Hic sunt dracones.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #85 on: May 26, 2018, 01:10:51 PM

Over the years I've found your tastes pretty spot on.  Would another way of saying the above, "OK film, not worth an argument, not worth getting worked up about"?  I can get into a SW film for the SW. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: May 26, 2018, 01:19:57 PM

Over the years I've found your tastes pretty spot on.  Would another way of saying the above, "OK film, not worth an argument, not worth getting worked up about"?  I can get into a SW film for the SW. 

That's a good description. Anyone not expecting a Star Wars movie to change their lives is going to be entertained.

I am the .00000001428%
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: May 26, 2018, 02:50:04 PM

Ironically, for me, the opinions here on the movie are the opposite of everyone I know that has seen it (I haven't, and won't; I saw Episode 7 and Rogue One and decided that I had no real interest in the new era of Star Wars -- not a huge surprise to me given I had little interest in the prequels or original trilogy either -- just never been a Star Wars fan, but given the relative importance of the brand, I find it interesting to follow). The hardcore Star Wars fans and non-Star Wars people I know that have seen it have all had the same opinion; Han and Chewie are the best part of the movie and everything else was either "meh" or, in the case of the Droid and Enfys, terrible. Some have gone so far as to say Jar Jar > L3, and that the movie is just barely above the prequels in terms of quality/enjoyment, and there's some debate there for them.

More interesting to me, personally, is what the sluggish box office for it means going forward.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: May 26, 2018, 03:18:15 PM

Ironically, for me, the opinions here on the movie are the opposite of everyone I know that has seen it (I haven't, and won't; I saw Episode 7 and Rogue One and decided that I had no real interest in the new era of Star Wars -- not a huge surprise to me given I had little interest in the prequels or original trilogy either -- just never been a Star Wars fan, but given the relative importance of the brand, I find it interesting to follow). The hardcore Star Wars fans and non-Star Wars people I know that have seen it have all had the same opinion; Han and Chewie are the best part of the movie and everything else was either "meh" or, in the case of the Droid and Enfys, terrible. Some have gone so far as to say Jar Jar > L3, and that the movie is just barely above the prequels in terms of quality/enjoyment, and there's some debate there for them.

More interesting to me, personally, is what the sluggish box office for it means going forward.

I saw this today I was thinking the same thing about the droid, L3-37 (come on, LEET, really??? Facepalm).  She's there for one reason and one reason only, just like Jar Jar was.  Jar Jar was meant to be the funny character that appealed to children while LEET is there as some sort of nod to the progressive social justice agenda of the film makers.  I mean she is kind of comical but I'm sure she wasn't meant to be.  I rolled my eyes every time she went on about "droid rights".  As for Han, I'm going to have to say he was the biggest weak point of the entire movie.  He wasn't cringe worthy bad like the actors they got to play young and older Anakin, but I just never bought him as Han Solo.  I feel bad for the actor playing him because if he had been playing anyone else other than Han Solo he would have been good.  He just didn't look, sound or act like the Han Solo we've grown use to with Harrison Ford.  The rest of the cast were fine.  I'd probably rate it better than Last Jedi but far below Rogue One.

It seems to not be doing well at the box office.  I went in today at around 1pm and the theater was more than half empty.  Compare that to last weekend when I went to see Deadpool 2 at around the same time and I had to sit way up front because it was almost a full house.  I guess just slapping the name "Star Wars" on a generic sci-fi movie isn't going to be good enough anymore.  So, yeah, it's about what I expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ftdu8yrKOw

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-numbers-struggle-1114854

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:21:45 PM by Ginaz »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #89 on: May 26, 2018, 04:52:07 PM

Social Justice Agenda?

Fuuuuuuuuuck off. And take that white male victim bullshit with you.

As for the droid, I didn’t know she was l33t ‘til someone here pointed it out. She was funny and a solid foil to Lando’s lothario. This was a decent heist flick set in the Star Wars universe and I dug it for that and for the lore references, which were everywhere.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: May 26, 2018, 05:02:09 PM

I walked out of the movie yesterday with a somewhat meh attatuide. Ok, but not great. They missed some of the shots they were trying to land as the Western Movie that's a Heist in space.

It's grown on my today. I'd like to see LANDO the movie and Qi'ra (? it that how you spell it?) the bad guy in someone else's movie.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 26, 2018, 05:03:59 PM

Well they were obviously setting up another movie, but if this does mediocre at the box office as it seems to be doing then we can probably forget about it.

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: May 26, 2018, 05:05:00 PM

progressive social justice agenda of the film makers.

Haha, holy shit its always weird to run into one of you people out in the wild.

I am the .00000001428%
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: May 26, 2018, 05:50:18 PM

Haha, holy shit its always weird to run into one of you people out in the wild.

To be fair, a lot of those I know who saw the movie had a simlar reaction, regardless of their personal stance on SJW stuff or where they themselves sit on the scale. A lot of them had the take-away that the droid was very much the SJW Droid and that was a big reason the character was an issue for them. Hell, one of these people is a moderate SJW crusader type (by which I mean they sit on the edge of the JSW-types that few people can tolerate with their stupid, extreme SJW bullshit) and even they cringed at the Droid. Again, I personally haven't a clue, but it isn't an uncommon opinion out there from what I've seen, even from SJW types themselves.

Comparatively, the issues I've seen regarding Enfys is similar to Phasma. With Lando it seems to be more of a 'well, that's disappointing.. he could have been so much better had they let Glover be more charismatic and less muted'. As for Han.. most I know liked him, saying they could see what Ford's Han was near the end of the movie and that the movie was about how he became like that.

I just find the wide-range of takes on the movie interesting. Very split reception. A lot of out-right 'fuck this shit', a bunch of 'meh..' and then a bunch of 'decent, but not great Star Wars movie.. could have been worse', with a few 'best SW movie ever!' thrown in. Now, I generally regard Star Wars as the single most over-hype franchise in the history of, well, franchises. It tends to top out at 'meh.. decent?' at best for me. I'm just not the target audience and just don't get the fan reactions to any of the movies (except the prequels; which while not as bad as most make them out to be.. are pretty close).
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: May 26, 2018, 09:02:26 PM

Went into this with the thought of ignoring the star wars bit and enjoying it as a generic sci fi movie. Overall I thought it was decent although I found the supporting characters were more interesting than the main. Since I went in with incredibly low expectations I was presently surprised. So I give it a 3 out of 5.  I kind of hope they make a standalone Lando movie with Glover.

Oh and while I noticed the SJW stuff I ignored it for the most part.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: May 26, 2018, 09:41:33 PM

Social Justice Agenda?

Fuuuuuuuuuck off. And take that white male victim bullshit with you.

As for the droid, I didn’t know she was l33t ‘til someone here pointed it out. She was funny and a solid foil to Lando’s lothario. This was a decent heist flick set in the Star Wars universe and I dug it for that and for the lore references, which were everywhere.

Ok, then.  The droid is totally not there for that reason.  Guess I was the only one who saw that.  My bad. Ohhhhh, I see.

"Throughout Solo: A Star Wars Story L3 serves up reminders to her non-droid friends to check their privilege."
"Solo: A Star Wars Story does not shy away from overt political opinions, even if they're couched in droids versus everybody else."
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/965242/Solo-A-Star-Wars-Story-Who-is-Pheobe-Waller-Bridge-character-L3-37-fleabag

"“She has a social conscience, which is really great to play,” says Waller-Bridge"
“That’s what’s so genius about (Star Wars) films. They speak about and create situations that are so relevant and so poignant today,”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2018/05/15/meet-phoebe-waller-bridge-revolutionary-new-solo-star-wars-droid/608557002/

"Then L3 enters the story line with a jolt and redefines a female robot for our era. Of course, you can't compare her on-screen presence to the work that’s been done by real women through the Time's Up and #metoo movements. Their courage and dedication are helping to topple powerful sexual harassers and putting a spotlight on  gender inequality in the workplace.  That progress is happening now, not in a galaxy far, far away."
"Deep inside, she wants to be treated decently, just like any other thinking being.  Instead, she’s viewed by strangers as little more than space junk. And, sadly, that resonates in 2018, when too many people –- and one person alone would be too many –- are feeling emboldened to treat others as lesser-than, whether it's because of their gender, race, ethnicity or immigrant status."
"For women, sexism has been a problem since, oh, the beginning of recorded time. But now, female voices are getting attention in ways that honestly seems revolutionary. And during L3's big scene, when – spoiler alert – she yells out “Rebellion!,” something clicks that relates strongly to 2018."
"In short, her feminist credentials are impeccable, as are her humanitarian ones. So when’s her spin-off movie?"
https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/2018/05/20/star-wars-l-3-l-7-solo-droid-female/624376002/

"L3 will grow on you as the story progresses, and that’s because of the way Phoebe brings her to life.  “It’s so cool that she’s (L3) got a cause, you know, says the 32-year-old actress. “She’s like a social justice warrior, and she’s a droid with an agenda that goes beyond her own existence, and that’s very unique. It’s good to have a message.”
http://www.craftychica.com/2018/05/l3-37-phoebe-waller-bridge/

It wasn't a huge deal I'm not one of those people that get worked up about this sort of thing and calling for boycotts and all that nonsense.  When I saw it I just kind of rolled my eyes and carried on watching the rest of the movie.  The movie didn't up being mediocre because of the droid but it didn't help it out any, either. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:49:54 PM by Ginaz »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 26, 2018, 11:25:51 PM

All this rampant sjw talk aside, this....

“That’s what’s so genius about (Star Wars) films. They speak about and create situations that are so relevant and so poignant today,”

Made me laugh way too hard. 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 27, 2018, 06:34:43 AM

That's what they used to say about Star Trek, that it tackled and discussed social topics in a sci fi setting. They never said it about Star Wars. While the mistreatment of Droid was a minor plot point in the first movie ("we don't serve their kind in here," and the droid slave auction) it certainly was not talked about as such. Looks like they are shoehorning stuff into it and retroactively saying it always was there.

Hic sunt dracones.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 27, 2018, 07:41:16 AM

So far this movie is projected to make 40 million less than what Disney hoped for with international sales at about 11 million in the UK and 11 million in China.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: May 27, 2018, 08:24:26 AM

It’s a shame this movie is paying for the sins of The Last Jedi.  I went to it and really did enjoy it .  The dialogue and the story was in my opinion no where near as bad as people said it was and the guy who played a young Harrison Ford was nowhere near as bad as people have been saying.  I honestly don’t get the hate this film has garnered at all.  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:40:38 AM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: May 27, 2018, 09:31:18 AM

I didn't think the guy was bad, i just never thought "that's totally a young harrison ford" like i did with Donald Glover.

I am the .00000001428%
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: May 27, 2018, 10:02:36 AM

I didn't think the guy was bad, i just never thought "that's totally a young harrison ford" like i did with Donald Glover.

Donald Glover nailed his role.  I'd like to see a Lando movie now.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #102 on: May 27, 2018, 01:45:17 PM

Saw it today, loved it. Great fun summer romp, and easily the most fun I've had any of these new Star Wars movies. There's too much dark weird brooding about shit in the other ones. This was like HELL YEAH WE'RE STEALING SOME SHIT, and then cut it loose into crazy town.

Highly recommend, and I don't get why people get up their butt about anything in this movie. It's only political if you're actively looking for it. Hell, half the crap you're talking about earlier with sexuality went completely unnoticed to me. I walked out thinking anybody that has a social problem with this movie is either looking for trouble or doesn't touch women regularly.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: May 27, 2018, 02:34:52 PM

Saw it today, loved it. Great fun summer romp, and easily the most fun I've had any of these new Star Wars movies. There's too much dark weird brooding about shit in the other ones. This was like HELL YEAH WE'RE STEALING SOME SHIT, and then cut it loose into crazy town.

Highly recommend, and I don't get why people get up their butt about anything in this movie. It's only political if you're actively looking for it. Hell, half the crap you're talking about earlier with sexuality went completely unnoticed to me. I walked out thinking anybody that has a social problem with this movie is either looking for trouble or doesn't touch women regularly.

Lando's sexuality thing was pretty much a non-issue.  I don't know why Donald Glover even mentioned anything about it at all since I got the feeling his  The movie wasn't just ok for me because of any of that stuff.  The droid was more annoying than anything else.  You could have cut her character out completely and I still would have had the same opinion.  It was ok, better than Last Jedi but worse than Rogue one, but I just didn't buy that guy as a young Han Solo because he was too different than what we were use to with Harrison Ford.  The actor playing Han would have been good if he been playing someone else as he's not bad at all.  Harrison Ford IS Han Solo and if you're not going to try and at least emulate him and his take on the character, why bother other than $$$?  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:03:51 PM by Ginaz »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #104 on: May 27, 2018, 05:13:22 PM

I agree with Paelos; this was a 100% fun scifi pulp fun movie and I want to watch it again. So many easter eggs, like the Mandalorian armor in Vos's ship or the Rancor Keeper's mask on Beckett.

It reminded me a lot of being a kid and having the fun backyard stories I would make up with the toy figures. Even more than the other new movies, this one took me back a bit. And frankly, nobody was going to replace Ford as Solo. If he didn't seem as grizzled as the Solo we see in IV, well, he wasn't yet. He was still a bit of a kid and has 10-20 more years of smuggling to become Ford's Solo.

It all just worked for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  
Jump to: