Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:04:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  (Read 65267 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: April 10, 2018, 11:58:04 AM

A 2-3 hour movie with the death of a character is a whole different kettle of fish to a TV series where you are meant to build empathy with the characters weekly over many a season. The surprises can still be impactful enough that spoiling such a death can be detrimental to watching it, and it doesn't make it a bad show.

I mean, you all know that the dad is going to die on This is Us but you don't know how and apparently (I don't watch the show) the fact that you got spoiled on the death and it might ruin the experience doesn't detract from the show being well made.

None of that has to do with whether or not Solo will be any good. I'm sure it'll be entertaining but I don't think it'll be as good as Rogue One.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 12:11:19 PM

I'll concede that not knowing can add something to one viewing.

But it can't ruin a film or a show. If a film or a show is bad once you know, it was also bad when you didn't know.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 10, 2018, 03:01:11 PM

The problem will be if they make a huge deal about the card came where Solo wins the Falcon. We know he is going to win it but you know damn well they will try to amp that up to the nines pod-race style. And if they try to build it into a huge tension filled moment in the movie it just wont work.

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 10, 2018, 11:06:00 PM

Completely agree, but not because we know he is going to win.

A scene like that is easy to overwrite and underedit. If it isn't good on a rewatch, it isn't good.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #39 on: April 11, 2018, 02:34:11 AM

The trailer ran before Black Panther when I saw it last friday.

The person playing Han Solo looks and acts weird and has a very weird delivery. My first feeling was that I really don't like him. It's too neat and too clean which clashes with the Star Wars Universe aesthetics. It has a "well, Guardians was successful so lets do that" vibe and everyone involved is entirely acting too cool and too put together. Han Solo is not Star Lord or Rocket Racoon though, he's self confident and cocky but prone to legendary fuck ups and the character in the trailer is to much Ocean's Eleven.

It felt very underwhelming to me.

I'll probably wait until the hype has subsided and people had a chance to make up their minds about it before I decide if I go and see it.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 11, 2018, 05:55:13 AM

The problem will be if they make a huge deal about the card came where Solo wins the Falcon. We know he is going to win it but you know damn well they will try to amp that up to the nines pod-race style. And if they try to build it into a huge tension filled moment in the movie it just wont work.

It depends how they handle it, they could show him losing the card game at the beginning but winning another at the end.  Or they could show him losing the card game, stealing the ship, and dropping a line to Chewie at the end “If anyone asks I won it in a card game”.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 11, 2018, 06:17:55 AM

That wouldn't work.  Lando and Han clearly agree on the backstory of the Falcon in the movies.  Sure, there's banter and rivalry, but there's no animosity that it belongs to Solo.

Or something.  Who cares.  Not me.  Nope.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #42 on: April 11, 2018, 07:40:20 AM

The trailer ran before Black Panther when I saw it last friday.

The person playing Han Solo looks and acts weird and has a very weird delivery. My first feeling was that I really don't like him. It's too neat and too clean which clashes with the Star Wars Universe aesthetics. It has a "well, Guardians was successful so lets do that" vibe and everyone involved is entirely acting too cool and too put together. Han Solo is not Star Lord or Rocket Racoon though, he's self confident and cocky but prone to legendary fuck ups and the character in the trailer is to much Ocean's Eleven.

It felt very underwhelming to me.

I'll probably wait until the hype has subsided and people had a chance to make up their minds about it before I decide if I go and see it.
Hmm, I think that's a fair take.  Han Solo is basically just space Indiana Jones.  Sure he's a cool bad ass in general, but both of their plans often screw up half way through, leading to them trying to get out of their own fuck ups in hilarious/awesome manners.  Suave Han Solo (especially a young/green Han Solo) doesn't really work.  But hey, just a trailer, willing to give it a chance (though the production difficulties the movie had are not good signs).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 11, 2018, 08:03:33 AM

Rogue One had those and it was the best SW film since RotJ (fuck off ESB nerds). I think I'll try and forget that this character is meant to be exactly harrison ford and it might be ok. Also Donald Glover!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 05:49:19 AM

Cool train tho

Why don't you try our other games?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 22, 2018, 08:24:09 AM

Apparently, Lando is now pansexual. Ohhhhh, I see.  I don't have a problem with LGBTQ people as characters in movies, I just feel that some of this is being done not for the story being presented on screen but as part of a message driven agenda.  I go to see movies like Star Wars to get away from the real world for 2 hours or so not to have political and social messages thrown at me.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/22/entertainment/donald-glover-lando-solo/index.html
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:33:51 AM by Ginaz »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 22, 2018, 08:49:00 AM

A character being aggressively heterosexual is in that sense just as "political", if you're going to insist on focusing on this kind of stuff.

It's not like you saw Lando doing anything sexual in the original films other than trying to pick up Princess Leia. Although who knows with the dude with the earphones on, maybe they're lovers too.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #47 on: May 22, 2018, 09:08:27 AM

I do feel like it's kind of shoehorning that in there but at the same time, I doubt we'll see anything about it in the movie that's even remotely more than two seconds worth of flirting anyway so who gives a fuck?

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 22, 2018, 09:12:33 AM

A character being aggressively heterosexual is in that sense just as "political", if you're going to insist on focusing on this kind of stuff.

It's not like you saw Lando doing anything sexual in the original films other than trying to pick up Princess Leia. Although who knows with the dude with the earphones on, maybe they're lovers too.

If there was a character that was implied to be LGBTQ in the earlier movies but was now being presented as heterosexual, you'd never hear the end of it.  It's the same thing with "white washing" or changing a character from female to male.  I just think it's better to create new characters with their own, new stories than to retcon existing, established characters just to show how diverse and progressive you are.  Look at the last Ghostbusters and compare it to the upcoming Ocean's 8.  Both use known franchises but only one of them has, new original characters.  Ocean's 8 looks pretty interesting while we all knew that Ghostbusters was going to suck, and it did.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 22, 2018, 09:17:26 AM

I do feel like it's kind of shoehorning that in there but at the same time, I doubt we'll see anything about it in the movie that's even remotely more than two seconds worth of flirting anyway so who gives a fuck?

Yeah, I don't think we're going to see Lando rolling around with a Bothan or anything but I just kind roll my eyes when I see this sort of thing happening.  I'm not going to boycott the movie (which apparently is a thing that's happening) and I'll probably enjoy it a bit but the last 2 of the 3 SW movies (really enjoyed Rogue One) have kind of dampened my interest in the franchise. 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #50 on: May 22, 2018, 09:58:53 AM

Although who knows with the dude with the earphones on, maybe they're lovers too.

Thanks for the visual. There goes part of my childhood, fully ruined.  awesome, for real

For some really weird reason, he (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lobot) was one of my favorite characters when playing with the toys as a kid. So many Star Wars figures are buried in my parents backyard, the Sarlacc claimed many lives. Lobot always made it through though.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 22, 2018, 10:21:17 AM

Although who knows with the dude with the earphones on, maybe they're lovers too.

Thanks for the visual. There goes part of my childhood, fully ruined.  awesome, for real

For some really weird reason, he (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lobot) was one of my favorite characters when playing with the toys as a kid. So many Star Wars figures are buried in my parents backyard, the Sarlacc claimed many lives. Lobot always made it through though.

I sold all of my SW toys for $50 around 1985. Heartbreak  I had a lot of cool stuff, like the Death Star, Millennium Falcon, X-Wing, Hoth base and a lot of other vehicles and action figures.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 22, 2018, 11:01:34 AM

DO people have high hopes for this one?  I'm feeling like it will disappoint - the Iron Man II of the Star Wars universe..

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #53 on: May 22, 2018, 11:48:29 AM

Can't be disappointed if you don't have expectations, my man.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #54 on: May 22, 2018, 12:05:57 PM

Yeah, I have zero expectations for this.  Trailer was by the books, but the Disney/Marvel borg has done some great stuff over the last few years, so I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I actually enjoyed all three Ironman movies (though first was obviously the best), so I guess by popular opinion, my opinion is suspect.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #55 on: May 22, 2018, 12:44:35 PM

Can't be disappointed if you don't have expectations, my man.

Ah the Lloyd Dobler approach - I know it well.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 22, 2018, 01:51:32 PM

I'm just surprised that people have sex lives in mind for a character who was a relatively small part of two movies, has no stated lover or relationship and no real back story beyond "Han's acquaintance who used to own the Millennium Falcon, maybe", and who represents himself as a guy who went legit after being kind of scoundrel/shady, such that they're willing to say "OH THEY CHANGED THE CHARACTER, HE WAS TOTALLY BONING EVERY FEMALE IN CLOUD CITY I JUST KNOW IT".

I mean, think about it. In the original Star Wars in present canon, here's what you know:

Leia and Han are heterosexual.
Luke appears notionally heterosexual but actually only displays modest, relatively chaste interest in his sister.
Darth Vader was heterosexual.

That's it. Obi-Wan sort of displayed a courtly interest in a woman in Clone Wars. Chewbacca, unless you're counting the Holiday Special as canon, is an unknown. Boba Fett is a clone, who knows what he is. Palpatine shows no interest in anyone in that way. Jabba is kind of sexual but I don't even know what he really counts as in terms of gender. No other Jedi is shown having strong romantic ties or interests besides Anakin in the series. Grand Moff Tarkin is an unknown plus he's blown up. No Imperial officer is known. Wedge Antilles is not known.

Almost nothing they would choose to do now with any of those characters in backstory could be said to be "shoehorned in" if they characterized them romantically. And of them, making Lando out to be a kind of Jack Harkness willing to make it with anything seems pretty consistent with the character's whole attitude in the originals.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 22, 2018, 02:00:33 PM

I'm just surprised that people have sex lives in mind for a character who was a relatively small part of two movies, has no stated lover or relationship and no real back story beyond "Han's acquaintance who used to own the Millennium Falcon, maybe", and who represents himself as a guy who went legit after being kind of scoundrel/shady, such that they're willing to say "OH THEY CHANGED THE CHARACTER, HE WAS TOTALLY BONING EVERY FEMALE IN CLOUD CITY I JUST KNOW IT"...
The choice of actor has something to do with the perceived sexuality, here.  Billy Dee had a reputation before, and after, he was in Star Wars that influenced the perception of the character. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 22, 2018, 04:52:27 PM

Palpatine shows no interest in anyone in that way.

That's not what Vader's therapist says.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 22, 2018, 05:37:42 PM

I'm just surprised that people have sex lives in mind for a character who was a relatively small part of two movies, has no stated lover or relationship and no real back story beyond "Han's acquaintance who used to own the Millennium Falcon, maybe", and who represents himself as a guy who went legit after being kind of scoundrel/shady, such that they're willing to say "OH THEY CHANGED THE CHARACTER, HE WAS TOTALLY BONING EVERY FEMALE IN CLOUD CITY I JUST KNOW IT".

I mean, think about it. In the original Star Wars in present canon, here's what you know:

Leia and Han are heterosexual.
Luke appears notionally heterosexual but actually only displays modest, relatively chaste interest in his sister.
Darth Vader was heterosexual.

That's it. Obi-Wan sort of displayed a courtly interest in a woman in Clone Wars. Chewbacca, unless you're counting the Holiday Special as canon, is an unknown. Boba Fett is a clone, who knows what he is. Palpatine shows no interest in anyone in that way. Jabba is kind of sexual but I don't even know what he really counts as in terms of gender. No other Jedi is shown having strong romantic ties or interests besides Anakin in the series. Grand Moff Tarkin is an unknown plus he's blown up. No Imperial officer is known. Wedge Antilles is not known.

Almost nothing they would choose to do now with any of those characters in backstory could be said to be "shoehorned in" if they characterized them romantically. And of them, making Lando out to be a kind of Jack Harkness willing to make it with anything seems pretty consistent with the character's whole attitude in the originals.

Again, reverse the scenario and have Lando originally being perceived as homosexual and then change that to him being heterosexual in the new movie and see how that would have been taken.  As jgsugden said, having Billy Dee Williams playing the character first also left the impression that he was a sort of ladies man.  In the end, it's not a huge deal.  I'll see the movie anyway and highly doubt this is going to matter in the end in terms of whether or not the movie is any good.  It's part of a pattern, though.  You have the producers trumpeting the fact that the main droid is the first "female" droid in a SW movie (she's not, btw) and that she's fighting for "droid rights" or saying shit like "the force is female".  I hate agenda driven crap like this in movies that don't require it.  This isn't some Oscar bait high cinema we're talking about here.  Is it too much to ask for just fucking lasers and light sabers in a SW movie so I can turn my brain off for 2 hours?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #60 on: May 22, 2018, 06:09:46 PM

This isn't some Oscar bait high cinema we're talking about here.  Is it too much to ask for just fucking lasers and light sabers in a SW movie so I can turn my brain off for 2 hours?

Does sexuality somehow prevent you from turning your brain off?

Also, if you're just looking for 2 hours of escapism maybe stop reading all the marketing.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 22, 2018, 10:32:23 PM

This isn't some Oscar bait high cinema we're talking about here.  Is it too much to ask for just fucking lasers and light sabers in a SW movie so I can turn my brain off for 2 hours?

Does sexuality somehow prevent you from turning your brain off?

Also, if you're just looking for 2 hours of escapism maybe stop reading all the marketing.

It's not a huge deal.  I just roll my eyes when I see this sort of thing these days.  I don't have an issue, at all, with LGBTQ people being represented in movies.  I've mentioned before that I support same sex marriage.  We've had it here in Canada for almost 13 years and it's worked out pretty well.  I just don't like changing the sexuality, gender or race of established characters for stuff like SW just for the sake of diversity, esp. when it's blatantly obvious what they're trying to do.  I don't like it when they do the reverse, either, when characters are changed to be straight, white or men.  I want more movies like Black Panther and Rogue One where they used original characters and stories instead.  I LOVED Black Panther.  I saw it 3 times and enjoyed it more than Infinity War (everything Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan are in is something I have to see now).  Same with Rogue One.  It was much, much better than TFA or TLJ.  Neither Black Panther or Rogue One had any of the main characters played by white men.  When a character was a white man, they were usually a minor character or a villain.  It didn't matter because the rest of the cast were great and the stories were engaging.  

Anyway, enough sidetracking.  I don't have high hopes for this movie, not because of Lando's sexuality, but because it just doesn't look very good, mostly because the actor playing Han Solo doesn't do anything for me from the previews I've seen.  I have no expectations that this will be any good but I hope I'm wrong.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:06:16 PM by Ginaz »
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 23, 2018, 07:01:08 AM

To netflix this shit goes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #63 on: May 23, 2018, 07:04:56 AM

I always got the feeling Lando was boning everyone, Han included, old buddy. Colt 45 is a hell of a drink.

Look at this jealous bitch:

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 23, 2018, 07:34:50 AM

Lando had a Casanova style swagger in the movies, so yeah it was easy to think he would have been a bike. But yeah, this is just retconning for buzz and PCness, and its pretty fucking blatant. Its not like they couldn't just slot in a whatever character considering theres only going to be 3 characters we actually know in the entire movie.

Also if the film tanks they can blame prejudice against whatevers like they did with Godawfulbusters. You will know you have recieved acceptance when people suggest shit like this and people feel free to just say its a stupid idea.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #65 on: May 23, 2018, 08:22:03 AM

Lando Calrissian being pansexual is not even remotely out of the realm of possibility. He's the original Captain Jack Harkness, IMO. His sexuality wasn't important to the original trilogy and it's not important now, but, you know, marketing.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #66 on: May 23, 2018, 08:39:01 AM

That we are even having this discussion makes me weep for my youth.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:30 AM

Your youth was asking for it.  why so serious?

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #68 on: May 23, 2018, 09:55:33 AM

Lando's asking if your youth is single.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 23, 2018, 10:38:35 AM

I am surprised how many people are able to pass judgement on a pretty unremarkable character decisions without having seen the film.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  
Jump to: