Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 03:42:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  (Read 1746 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you and other troops you control.

Reply #35 on: April 10, 2018, 01:58:04 PM

A 2-3 hour movie with the death of a character is a whole different kettle of fish to a TV series where you are meant to build empathy with the characters weekly over many a season. The surprises can still be impactful enough that spoiling such a death can be detrimental to watching it, and it doesn't make it a bad show.

I mean, you all know that the dad is going to die on This is Us but you don't know how and apparently (I don't watch the show) the fact that you got spoiled on the death and it might ruin the experience doesn't detract from the show being well made.

None of that has to do with whether or not Solo will be any good. I'm sure it'll be entertaining but I don't think it'll be as good as Rogue One.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 02:11:19 PM

I'll concede that not knowing can add something to one viewing.

But it can't ruin a film or a show. If a film or a show is bad once you know, it was also bad when you didn't know.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 10, 2018, 05:01:11 PM

The problem will be if they make a huge deal about the card came where Solo wins the Falcon. We know he is going to win it but you know damn well they will try to amp that up to the nines pod-race style. And if they try to build it into a huge tension filled moment in the movie it just wont work.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 01:06:00 AM

Completely agree, but not because we know he is going to win.

A scene like that is easy to overwrite and underedit. If it isn't good on a rewatch, it isn't good.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #39 on: April 11, 2018, 04:34:11 AM

The trailer ran before Black Panther when I saw it last friday.

The person playing Han Solo looks and acts weird and has a very weird delivery. My first feeling was that I really don't like him. It's too neat and too clean which clashes with the Star Wars Universe aesthetics. It has a "well, Guardians was successful so lets do that" vibe and everyone involved is entirely acting too cool and too put together. Han Solo is not Star Lord or Rocket Racoon though, he's self confident and cocky but prone to legendary fuck ups and the character in the trailer is to much Ocean's Eleven.

It felt very underwhelming to me.

I'll probably wait until the hype has subsided and people had a chance to make up their minds about it before I decide if I go and see it.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 11, 2018, 07:55:13 AM

The problem will be if they make a huge deal about the card came where Solo wins the Falcon. We know he is going to win it but you know damn well they will try to amp that up to the nines pod-race style. And if they try to build it into a huge tension filled moment in the movie it just wont work.

It depends how they handle it, they could show him losing the card game at the beginning but winning another at the end.  Or they could show him losing the card game, stealing the ship, and dropping a line to Chewie at the end “If anyone asks I won it in a card game”.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 11, 2018, 08:17:55 AM

That wouldn't work.  Lando and Han clearly agree on the backstory of the Falcon in the movies.  Sure, there's banter and rivalry, but there's no animosity that it belongs to Solo.

Or something.  Who cares.  Not me.  Nope.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #42 on: April 11, 2018, 09:40:20 AM

The trailer ran before Black Panther when I saw it last friday.

The person playing Han Solo looks and acts weird and has a very weird delivery. My first feeling was that I really don't like him. It's too neat and too clean which clashes with the Star Wars Universe aesthetics. It has a "well, Guardians was successful so lets do that" vibe and everyone involved is entirely acting too cool and too put together. Han Solo is not Star Lord or Rocket Racoon though, he's self confident and cocky but prone to legendary fuck ups and the character in the trailer is to much Ocean's Eleven.

It felt very underwhelming to me.

I'll probably wait until the hype has subsided and people had a chance to make up their minds about it before I decide if I go and see it.
Hmm, I think that's a fair take.  Han Solo is basically just space Indiana Jones.  Sure he's a cool bad ass in general, but both of their plans often screw up half way through, leading to them trying to get out of their own fuck ups in hilarious/awesome manners.  Suave Han Solo (especially a young/green Han Solo) doesn't really work.  But hey, just a trailer, willing to give it a chance (though the production difficulties the movie had are not good signs).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 11, 2018, 10:03:33 AM

Rogue One had those and it was the best SW film since RotJ (fuck off ESB nerds). I think I'll try and forget that this character is meant to be exactly harrison ford and it might be ok. Also Donald Glover!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 07:49:19 AM

Cool train tho

Why don't you try our other games?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  
Jump to: