Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:36:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elex - Piranha Bytes SciFantasy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elex - Piranha Bytes SciFantasy  (Read 11860 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: October 16, 2017, 08:43:27 PM

So Ard was just telling me there's a new PB game...tomorrow. Looks cool, a PB open worlder with jetpacks. Come for the eurojank, stay for the awesome open world exploration, don't forget to pack your console commands. 20% off at GMG right now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:20:20 PM

Peak lazy

Not even a link
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 09:33:10 PM

Not sure a link is even necessary, we're probably the only two people in the forums interested  Ohhhhh, I see.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 09:37:09 PM

So it's ... Bioshock ... in a forest ... from the guys who did Gothic Huh

Sound like the perfect $13-in-a-Steam-Sale game.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 10:00:52 PM

More like Piranha Bytes does Fallout with space magic, but who knows, they excel at weird shit.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:21:07 PM

Elex Review

I guess I'll have to add this to my wishlist for the time it hits -50% and the worst bugs have been fixed (hopefully without needing to wait for community patches)

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 03:57:33 AM

Piranha Bytes. So I'll probably look at this a year from now when most of the bugs have been patched and the dev and the fans have fixed most of the broken stuff
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 06:20:56 AM

I agree with my esteemed colleagues. Cheapish Steam Sale fodder next summer. Unless there's a miracle.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 06:47:46 AM

I will look at it when it comes to the PS5.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 10:06:43 AM

Currently downloading it on GOG (27GB, dunno if the Day 1 patch is included). I'll bask in eurojankyness soon enough. Wish me luck  why so serious?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 12:25:34 PM

An hour in. It's a PB game, as I said, you should know what that means by now.

Since I love PB games, I already love this one. The post-apoc sci-fantasy setting is a refreshing change and well done so far. The jetpack is a really strong addition to the game. Even though I'm early in and not really utilizing it for combat like I've seen in videos, it's enhancing what was already one of the better exploration options in rpg.

The lighting is surprisingly effective, too. Not going to win any graphical awards (PB game), but it works.

My main dilemma is controller or k/m...it plays well with a controller and the menus are obviously set up that way. But it has ranged weaponry and imo that means k/m. Hmm...

Verdict: if you like PB, buy it. Looks like a very strong entry into what will most likely be a trilogy.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 12:48:06 PM

An hour in. It's a PB game, as I said, you should know what that means by now.

Since I love PB games, I already love this one. The post-apoc sci-fantasy setting is a refreshing change and well done so far. The jetpack is a really strong addition to the game. Even though I'm early in and not really utilizing it for combat like I've seen in videos, it's enhancing what was already one of the better exploration options in rpg.

The lighting is surprisingly effective, too. Not going to win any graphical awards (PB game), but it works.

My main dilemma is controller or k/m...it plays well with a controller and the menus are obviously set up that way. But it has ranged weaponry and imo that means k/m. Hmm...

Verdict: if you like PB, buy it. Looks like a very strong entry into what will most likely be a trilogy.

Yep, what Sky said (although I've been playing less than him). It really reminds me of the beginning of Risen 1. Graphically wise, texture detail from up close is bad, while good enough from distance. Lightning and environments are great, tho. Seems well optimized for the PC, with a max. framerate of 120 (tried to change it to 144 in the .ini but I couldn't make it work). and a good array of graphic options . Finally, beside some "walled" paths, don't expect any hand-holding, in typical PB fashion.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 01:46:46 PM

from the guys who did Gothic Huh

So pure Euro-jank then.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 02:35:44 PM

Yep, what Sky said (although I've been playing less than him). It really reminds me of the beginning of Risen 1. Graphically wise, texture detail from up close is bad, while good enough from distance. Lightning and environments are great, tho. Seems well optimized for the PC, with a max. framerate of 120 (tried to change it to 144 in the .ini but I couldn't make it work). and a good array of graphic options . Finally, beside some "walled" paths, don't expect any hand-holding, in typical PB fashion.
I've been pushing up the options from the default 'high' without any hitching locked at 60 @ 1080p on a 970.

Another hour in, into the first town. Died a couple times, autosave is pretty solid. Be careful about target lock and hitting friendlies, had to go back a couple saves after I hit a guy during a scripted event. I ran away and he de-aggroed, but wouldn't talk to me after and it counted as a crime, so I reloaded. Lesson learned (or, re-learned). Also remember that your little PDA doohickey is tech-based, so hide before using it in town :D

Since the early part is anti-tech, it feels like old school PB, but the tech parts are pretty well done. Sound recordings ala System Shock are a nice addition, as well.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 11:05:03 PM

Welp, I'm agreeing with Sky.  I put a few hours into it tonight, it's pretty much exactly what I was expecting and so far I'm pretty happy with it.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 05:49:16 PM

How bad is the combat in this one? Because I have yet to play a Piranha Bytes game whose combat isn't a tire fire.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 06:59:25 PM

How bad is the combat in this one? Because I have yet to play a Piranha Bytes game whose combat isn't a tire fire.
It's a Piranha Bytes game.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 07:41:54 PM

So poor by the standards of a decade ago, gotcha.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 11:39:01 AM

Some tips for using the combat meter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS2xD9F98Kw
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 07:23:33 PM

Didn't feel like learning how to melee with the questionable hitbox. So I focused on Ranged. I learned how to hover shot and had decent success as long the mobs don't one hit kill me with its ranged attacks. Upgrading the starter bow seems to jump the requirement, but I figured out the meta once I unlocked Chemistry and crafted ELEX potions that give me 2 attribute points each. I blew around 10,000 shards on securing ELEX supplies and crafting those potions and now my twice upgraded bow and ranged skill is high enough to destroy a Mech. I'm pretty pleased about this. Trophy in survival also ensures decent cash from killed animals' parts to buy more arrows. It's starting to get manageable.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 07:14:05 AM

Been a while since I've played a PB game, forgot how brutal the combat is if you don't rush a combat build, started a conversation build (because that's what I normally do, I play for the conversation, not combat, mostly). Woops. Level 6 now but just starting my combat build, considering a restart that would give me at least 2, if not 3, more combat skills to get me going (without really losing anything).

I want to focus on ranged for the cleric weapons eventually, but arrows are a pain to keep stocked vs just meleeing things down. The jetpack is a nice dodge tool for enemies with a wider melee range (that you can't just sidestep/circle), and it conserves stamina vs using the dodge button. I wish the lock on were a bit more solid, so I wouldn't lose focus when jetpack jumping behind something (waiting for thumbstick turning is one thing I will never like about controllers).

Nitpicking, though. Finding the combat to actually be the best in the series thus far. Surprised myself when I was able to take on 3 critters. I was going to run, but liberal use of the jetpack (popping behind terrain to slam a potion, dropping in behind charges, etc) to be almost OP. Have to be careful about the improved weapon switching for enemies, though...I was jumping over a little raptor dude and stayed out of melee range too long, toom a spit to the face. Nice!

On the other hands, poking the reaver nest and getting chased by a gaggle of dudes with everything ranging from pipes to grenade launchers... Even then I was able to hide out on top of my base...until one jetpacked up! Took him out and was able to pick off a few stragglers, but it was a pretty interesting series of combats.

edit: I'm 10 hours in, second rk's suggestion of trophy. Cash flow + mats for crafting, really helpful early on when it's slow to spend ability points anyway.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:15:40 AM by Sky »
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 05:56:14 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 08:19:22 AM

I did end up restarting to fix up my build a bit. Helped (as did learning to play a bit). So does getting a companion, though their AI could use a bit of help (I wish Arx would stick to his awesome energy gun and stop trying to melee, for instance). My only real issue with combat it that I play with a controller and want to play a ranged character. I guess I should go heavy weapons, is that psi amp thingy a heavy weapon or?
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 05:26:42 PM

Cleric caster that uses Energy bar

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 09:30:42 PM

Balance is always broken at the end of their games.  It's a feature  Ohhhhh, I see.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 09:13:23 AM

Went back to the k/m controls as I approach the Fort. Just need the bow too much, and that's easier in some ways on k/m over controller.

Though I did have a decent setup that worked in some situations on the controller: use X to jump or quickly jetpack, land and zoom/target the bow, release. It was slightly superior in that aim assist would lock on for a second, so if you locked on and immediately released the bow string, you could get in a quick hit and dodge again.

So the k/m gives me better aiming overall, but the controller did have some benefits not available on k/m.

Absolutely loving the game. Such a great changeup to the formula on several levels.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 11:45:12 AM

Gear starvation means I got unreasonably happy to trade my dopey leather peasant cap for the cool brimmed desert hat (same armor). I did find nifty enemy detection shades but lack of armor means I had to use them strategically.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 11:11:36 PM

If you really want gear, you should really join a faction asap.
They give a load of EXP, starter gear and unlock additional abilities.
After being admitted into the clerics at level 12, I hardly sought out new gears in the wilds.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 06:12:05 AM

I was going to finish the easier quests in the cities before joining up, wasn't sure if it affected the ability to do quests in other faction cities.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 08:10:28 PM

Finished the game. End game gear and ability is too strong and made it a cakewalk. And too much 'Kill everything yourself' in the end.
What amazed me was the plot twists that kept coming and sometimes I wonder what would happen if PB ever get that AAA budget and polish like CDPR did.
The delivery is poor, but the plot is great. Lots of sad things not conveyed properly and Jax grew throughout the game depending on how you played him. Amazing.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Elex. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the mechanics will go over a typical player's head. There's also Jax's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these quests, to realize that they're not just free exp- they say something deep about MAGALAN. As a consequence people who dislike ELEX truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Felk's existencial catchphrase "Initiating Combat," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Björn Pankratz's genius unfolds itself on their screens. What fools... how I pity them.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 09:07:53 PM

I really liked Risen and the Gothic games. However, I always end up regretting a day one purchase and loving the game about a year later after patches. I'll wait despite being tempted by this!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 08:38:45 AM

I do agree the game actually makes you think. I'm really torn between wanting to rp it as the cold Alb commander and my own feelings. Like, I really don't like the berzerkers but they're clearly the faction (given early info when I don't know much about the whole elex->mana conversion concept) that I'd side with, bringing nature back. Bringing along Arx helps, since he's a pretty vocal companion and supports cold decisions well, keeps me in the rp mindset.

I just got to the Fort and unlocked Ray and couldn't even finish the conversations there before going back to camp to get Arx again. Ray...doesn't care for my decisions much, heh.

Depending on how things go, I could maybe see another playthrough letting the lack of elex let me experience emotions and build out that side of Jax' story.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 05:56:53 PM

Best early gun you can get is probably Plasma Rifle from Traveling merchant, its alternate firing mode Explosive can knock down enemies.
Also, if the enemy isn't efficient enough to engage with a ranged weapon, it's best to pull them to a strong guard like the Rippers guarding the cargo crates near Cleric city. I lured 3 of them to a guard Mech and let it handle the rest.
I followed a Traveling merchant and his two guards around - pulling all those dangerous mobs to them. Just as they get the mob to low HP, I switch to Single Fire and steal the kill for EXP.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Explosive round is also amazing when you combine it with high ground.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:06:56 PM by rk47 »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 08:00:35 PM

Thanks for that, I'm enjoying that plasma gun. Comes in handy now and again, but it doesn't have the raw punch of a bow for me. I'm running a sword, bow and plasma on the hotbar for situational stuff. A bow is by far the deadliest thing in the arsenal. But the knockdown/back is pretty abusable. I tested it on the troll by the base and it took 4 minutes to chew him down (I did drag him close enough for a couple more companions to get in on it after the first 3 minutes), using the bow to whittle him down and the plasma to knock him back across the field.

Blew the shit out of the reavers in the fort, though. Put em all on the companion and just hit em with the plasma, bodies everywhere.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 04:08:38 AM

The key here is to upgrade the Plasma to Mark II / III asap.
Anything below 60 damage is garbage at mid game.
I joined Berserkers finally and felt unimpressed by their magic spells. No good offensive powers, and just boring support spells. The detour of attribute investment to Cunning did not help.
If you don't like the Plasma due to low damage, I guess you can try getting that unique Flamer at Hort visit the survival trainer and go upstairs to his room. Slot in the Lower Resist gem for amazing damage AND knockdown. The biggest drawback is no dodging and jetpack while wielding it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:39:57 AM by rk47 »

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elex - Piranha Bytes SciFantasy  
Jump to: