Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:36:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2  (Read 31550 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: June 04, 2019, 12:17:00 AM

I have no doubt I would eventually learn the controls and be able to exercise such discipline, but here is how I remember it playing out:

-Riding along on my horse
-See random dude preaching some crap, basically inviting me to come over for a chat
-I see some potential emergent gameplay, dismount and approach
-Can't remember which button is the "talk" button.  Oh, I think it's this one....
-Bang!  Gutshot!

So much for that.  It was something like that.  Would be okay if it was an isolated thing, but similar bullshit happened in other scenarios.  Here's another, and this one is an exact accounting:

-Go to stable, spend hard earned cash on Spotted Random Horse
-Get on horse, ride it roughly 40 meters to the spot where my next mission is in the town
-Tie up Spotted Random Horse on the post used for just such purposes
-Go into tavern, have conversation, initiate mission
-Go out to post where SRH is tied.  Climb onto horse.
-All hell breaks loose.  I am being accused of stealing SRH, my beloved stallion!
-Get the holy fuck out of Dodge (not actual Dodge)
-Let things cool off.  Go back to town to figure out what the holy hell just happened.
-Worked out that I am not actually sitting on Spotted Random Horse.  Turns out this is Random Spotted Horse, and someone else tied him up on the same exact post I used. 
-My horse is safely tucked away in the stable I purchased him from. 
-Get spotted by Marshalls, forced to murder 10 of them, steal yet another horse and head for the literal hills.

So in other words, someone took my goddamned horse and stabled him without permission, then some stranger tied the exact same looking horse model on exact same fucking post during the 2 minute conversation I had.  So I literally did steal the horse. 

I mean, come the fuck on.  I like some emergent gameplay as much as the next guy, but I don't like stumbling over shit like this, especially when it kinda breaks the game.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #106 on: June 04, 2019, 08:08:36 AM

1st scenario, come on. The basis of the control scheme is L2 - look, R2 - shoot. That's like complaining that I keep calling timeout instead of hiking the ball in Madden. The problem with the controls (and also what makes them robust) is button re-use. You're complaining about two that don't get re-used other than how you have to L2 to initiate conversation when unarmed or lock on when armed (which was the only problem I've had with it, and that's on me for forgetting to holster my iron).

2nd scenario is what makes the game fun. Save a lot. A more fitting complaint is something like auto-exiting the stables on your horse, knocking someone over and upsetting them, they pull on you, you shoot back and catch a bounty. Because you had no agency in upsetting them, and the (sometimes screwy) game rules on criminal fault didn't seem to follow its normal logic.

I had a guy ride past while I was targeting an elk with my scoped rifle. Rode right in front of me (I saw him briefly in the scope), he got upset, pulled and started shooting. Shot him (in defense), witnesses, shot them. Decided to loot them, more witnesses, shot them. Went back and skinned my elk.

If it had gone really sour, I would've reloaded a manual save. Save early, save often.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: June 04, 2019, 09:22:36 AM

I know about the normal aiming function but I swear I swear I swear there is a gutshot button.  A quick draw.  Or something.  Surely I am not imagining.

I actually do some enjoy the emergent shit, as long as it isn’t because of some fucked up shit or weird ass control scheme.  Which is one of the reasons why I don’t reload saves when it happens.  My complaint is really more down to the micro-managing of every little thing.  Frequently annoying, and sometimes leads to bullshit I don’t want.  I have no doubt I will eventually pick this up and play it in earnest.  I fucking loved the original.  Top 10 all time IMO.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #108 on: June 04, 2019, 09:38:05 AM

You can hip fire with R2. It auto targets. One time I forgot what button stopped my horse, and I unloaded into some random dude in San Denis. I just sped off and paid the $15 fine later.

I didn't really bother micro-managing anything. I didn't save a lot. Most mistakes were either fixable with paying a fine or just shrugging it off. The bullshit way I lost my first Arabian was a little upsetting, but it's not like money is hard to get later if you try.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #109 on: June 04, 2019, 09:41:23 AM

If you R2 it shoots from the hip, it must've been that?

I tried hard to get into the first one and it just never clicked...but I think I played it in 2017, so it was pretty dated by then. The immersion of the new one carries a lot of weight for me, but the stuff I've talked about kinda washed me out of it on release. Going back in now, for some reason it's clicking for me this time. Being comfortable with the PS4 controller helps a lot, thanks to Madden (and the usual stuff like removing the dead zone).

I doubt I'll ever 'finish' it, since I haven't finished GTA IV or V (I came close twice with IV, though!).

Anyway, when the slow pace and fiddly stuff creeps in, I remember that Joe (Clint in the spaghetts) always took his time until things got hot. That actually works really well for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2  
Jump to: