Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:44:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2  (Read 31536 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 28, 2018, 02:04:01 PM

That's pretty much what I do in GTA 5. I did a fair amount of it in RDR too--I think I must have spent most of my time murdering that racist poker player/storekeeper, not doing quests.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 07, 2018, 09:50:51 PM

The online component is a little thin on content, but I kinda dig it.  If you just liked dicking around in the open world, that's pretty much what it is.

Also, the .22 Varmint Rifle is a goddamned murder machne since you still one shot with headshots using it.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #72 on: December 21, 2018, 02:43:52 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #73 on: December 26, 2018, 06:26:52 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 26, 2018, 09:15:23 AM

Did you just kick a frog?

Damn this game lets you get away with some serious villainy...

awesome, for real

But anyhoo, got this for Christmas so I guess I'll be joining you in frog-kicking pretty soon. Soons I finish off Spider-man first that is.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #75 on: December 26, 2018, 02:28:19 PM

Kicked a toad, and he croaked. Hopefully you watched the rest of the videos.

I'm a bit bored with RDR2, but my current interest is high in creating a "Master Hunter" YouTube playlist of kicking and stomping prey in various games. It's not funny in No Man's Sky (also it's a punch, not a kick) so I probably won't post one of those. Then again, that time I accidentally punched a horse in RDR2 was pretty funny.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: December 27, 2018, 06:22:29 PM

subscribed
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #77 on: December 29, 2018, 07:37:00 PM

Mulling doing a RDR2 online radicalthon...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #78 on: December 30, 2018, 05:11:24 AM

Are people still playing online?  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #79 on: December 30, 2018, 11:34:57 AM

Love Letters

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #80 on: December 31, 2018, 09:33:36 AM

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 02, 2019, 12:27:44 AM

Late to the party, but I started playing this.  The needless complexity in the UI and controls is almost enough for me to not want to play this.

I have only made it so far as to take up the first actual mission, a trip into Valentine.

Sorta accidentally robbed a satchel on a horse.  Was just thinking I would inspect it, but it just goes straight to stealing, and I get reported.  Lawman walks up and tells me to get the fuck outta Dodge.  So I get off of his radar.  Fine, makes sense.  Mission I was about to continue is now locked entirely for an unknown amount of time, despite walking out of the zone and letting some time pass.  Er, fair enough, kinda?  Walk around town, can't do shit.  Don't even have a horse to ride back and take another mission.  Put down the control, go take a piss or something.  I come back and pick the controller off of the couch, and somehow manage to lightly push the R2 button.....aaaaaaaand instantly gutshot some poor bastard by mistake as a result.  Now it's a full on emergency, bounty on my head and people coming after me.  Kill four or five, steal a horse and ride back to camp.

Pretty sure I just broke my entire game.  Way too easy to accidentally do unintended things as a result of the dumb controls.

I love everything Rockstar does.  But I am annoyed so far, hope I can get past this stupid stuff because I can tell there is something I want to play underneath it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #82 on: January 02, 2019, 06:23:06 AM

As far as I can tell, you are playing the game correctly.

Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 02, 2019, 08:01:45 AM

Picked the game up - played single player for a few hours, got overwhelmed by all the shit you can do and then got bored. Same shit happened in RDR. I'll force myself to play through it at some point, but right now I cannot be bothered.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 02, 2019, 08:36:16 AM

Late to the party, but I started playing this.  The needless complexity in the UI and controls is almost enough for me to not want to play this.

I have only made it so far as to take up the first actual mission, a trip into Valentine.

Sorta accidentally robbed a satchel on a horse.  Was just thinking I would inspect it, but it just goes straight to stealing, and I get reported.  Lawman walks up and tells me to get the fuck outta Dodge.  So I get off of his radar.  Fine, makes sense.  Mission I was about to continue is now locked entirely for an unknown amount of time, despite walking out of the zone and letting some time pass.  Er, fair enough, kinda?  Walk around town, can't do shit.  Don't even have a horse to ride back and take another mission.  Put down the control, go take a piss or something.  I come back and pick the controller off of the couch, and somehow manage to lightly push the R2 button.....aaaaaaaand instantly gutshot some poor bastard by mistake as a result.  Now it's a full on emergency, bounty on my head and people coming after me.  Kill four or five, steal a horse and ride back to camp.

Pretty sure I just broke my entire game.  Way too easy to accidentally do unintended things as a result of the dumb controls.

I love everything Rockstar does.  But I am annoyed so far, hope I can get past this stupid stuff because I can tell there is something I want to play underneath it.

This sort of thing is why I *really* want a PC port of the game (and yeah, I know I'm not going to get it). When everything is an active target I really want to have more control than a controller gives me.

Honestly, in Spider-Man it's just as bad, except for that fact that I can't target civilians and I'm mostly shooting "harmless" webs anyway, or I just jump in a random direction and I act like I'm just showing off...
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #85 on: January 02, 2019, 08:38:13 AM

My favorite horse got ran over by a train.  Sad Panda I fast travelled to Valentine via train. I noticed that I had a mail waiting, so I step inside and get my mail. Then that old crazy war vet was asking for change to I go over and talk to him.  Meanwhile, my dumb horse wanders in front of the train and gets pasted while I'm talking to this nutter. It wouldn't give me the option to revive. Bummer.

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: January 02, 2019, 09:14:35 AM

Didn’t know you could train your horse.

I’ll show myself out.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #87 on: January 03, 2019, 09:34:25 AM

This isn't a spoiler, but Dutch is a fucking dumbass.  I suppose it's also a commentary on how the world is progressing (even graft), but they're still holding on to a model that doesn't fit the now. He's still a moron, though. It's like you're crossing off items from a "towns to shoot up" list.

There are an abundance of interesting bugs. Most are harmless (floating npcs), some are annoying (disappearing animal corpses, my dead horse), and a select few are can lead to sequence breaks or quest failure/disfunction. During one mission where I was supposed to escape in a wagon, I instead hopped off the wagon and escaped on foot. When I was clear of the law, I teleported back into the driver seat of the wagon.

Almost getting to the point where I'm going to just blaze through the main story, but I still find myself doing side quests, hunting, and randomly wandering around being a cowboy..

edit:

Pro-tip: you lose honor for excessive animal killing without harvesting. This message brought to you by: alligators.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:40:15 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 03, 2019, 10:02:38 AM

Pro-tip: you lose honor for excessive animal killing without harvesting. This message brought to you by: alligators.

Yet you gain honor if you skin them.  swamp poop

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #89 on: January 15, 2019, 09:30:42 AM

Hard to believe this game was in development for as long as it was. I am trying to drive to the end of the story so I don't have to play it anymore. Side things keep showing up.

Dutch is an idiot but that is probably intentional.

Stupid design is unearthed at every turn. Unsure why I can't just shoot some birds from a moving train without getting a $65 bounty, followed by every cop in St Denis trying to kill me.

Someone hit my horse with a cart, called the cops on me, and I have the bounty without doing anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKQANNJ6E1o

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #90 on: January 15, 2019, 09:41:33 AM

That's what I was trying to say early on when I was talking about it feeling like the game was punishing me for having fun. And yet I've been playing GTA V without feeling that way. I've already been playing more GTA V on my THIRD playthrough (and second platform) than RDR2 could hold me.

And it pisses me off because I do love the game in a lot of ways. So I guess I'm really looking forward to GTA VI in 5-10 years. If only R* would do a mid-engine set of releases like Vice City and San Andreas.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #91 on: April 24, 2019, 12:07:57 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #92 on: May 16, 2019, 12:42:28 PM

Resolved to finish the game this past weekend. Reached the end but the game kept going. What. The. Fuck.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: May 16, 2019, 08:45:51 PM

Resolved to finish the game this past weekend. Reached the end but the game kept going. What. The. Fuck.

Same thing happened in the first one.  You get a bit of family life, then once you finish that, you're dumped back into the world.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #94 on: May 17, 2019, 07:43:14 AM

And yet I enjoyed the first one so much more.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: May 17, 2019, 01:45:33 PM

I was just doing the math that it's likely I'll be retired when GTA VII comes out. On consoles, not even going to extrapolate out PC releases, if even.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 19, 2019, 10:53:23 PM

I still have RDR2 gathering a bit of dust after my first couple of attempts to get into it.  I can't really tell if it is the game that has changed (since the first), or me.  Probably both?  I can't really be bothered.  I found it annoying that you had to control every tiny little action, and woe to you if you accidentally hit the wrong button.

I was just doing the math that it's likely I'll be retired when GTA VII comes out. On consoles, not even going to extrapolate out PC releases, if even.

Que?  Am I missing something, or wouldn't number 6 be next?  Also, I think GTA will be more or less simultaneous release going forward, but who knows. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 20, 2019, 08:40:10 AM

I was looking at 2021 speculation for GTA VI and thought about how GTA V was released in 2013....with dev cycles getting longer, it could happen (I should be able to retire in 2030).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 28, 2019, 08:17:53 AM

Btw, the HDR was upgraded to acceptable for this one. I find it ironic that my PS4 can run HDR content but my PC with a 970 can't. Come on, man!

Anyway, I played for a few hours and realized the game tries to get you to do too much stuff when all I want to do is just ride around and explore and hang out. Maybe kill some zombies while I'm scavenging. Maybe I'm playing too much 7 Days to Die. I'd kill for a bike.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #99 on: May 31, 2019, 12:05:15 PM

I fired this up again, committed myself to giving it a real try because it is such a damn pretty game. I just can’t do it. Beautiful world with some decent bits of acting and story. Hamstrung by the pieces of the story not being cohesive and a control scheme that is trying do do at least twice as much as it needs to.

At one point the game was telling me to pick up my gun with R1, then right after pick up my hat with square. Why are these different buttons for action? Why do I need so much realism that my hat can fly off? There’s nothing intuitive about the controls.

Why can’t I try to be a decent person in the game? When meeting strangers in the wild I can greet them, but they really only seem to be there for me to exploit or rob. I wish I could get past the poor controls to see if the story redeems itself.

I’m chalking this one up to the worst money I spent on gaming last year.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: June 03, 2019, 12:23:15 AM

I am really going to give it another try soon, but that pretty much sums up my complaint about it.  The micro managing of every little action....it's just too much.  I already fucked up my 1 hour long game by gutshotting people I was trying to say "hello" to, accidentally stealing a horse, etc.  I feel there is magic underneath it all, I just wish there was an "easy mode" that had some kind of sane controller mapping.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: June 03, 2019, 08:02:09 AM

I was going to print out the control layout screens for reference but there are 18 PAGES due to all the contextual stuff. Still, the guide has helped me get a better feel for the thinking behind the layouts. I've only aimed a gun at a guy once by mistake lately (when I wanted to say hello).

https://www.polygon.com/red-dead-redemption-2-guide/2018/10/26/18028774/controller-controls-standard-fps-alternate
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:31 AM

Aiming is one thing.  But isn’t there also an Instant Gutshot button?  You can’t exactly take that back.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: June 03, 2019, 10:21:57 AM

My daughter has played the hell out of this game, while my disk sits unopened on the shelf.

But then, she doesn't seem to have a problem with just gutshotting the occasional bystander.

"Nobody's innocent" seems to be her motto...

ACK!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: June 03, 2019, 11:26:47 AM

Aiming is one thing.  But isn’t there also an Instant Gutshot button?  You can’t exactly take that back.
Trigger discipline? The only button I can think of for shooting is R2, which is always attack. I may just be ignorant of this gutshot button, though.

In general the biggest regular problem is forgetting you have a gun drawn when you focus on something. I like to ride with my rifle out and say hi to passersby, so....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2  
Jump to: