Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: HURRICANE FUCKSTICK 5001: MORE IRMA, MORE CANE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HURRICANE FUCKSTICK 5001: MORE IRMA, MORE CANE  (Read 94657 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #280 on: September 09, 2017, 10:26:33 AM

Its down to a 3 so hopefully it won't have enough time over water to strengthen back up.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: September 09, 2017, 10:32:10 AM

Its down to a 3 so hopefully it won't have enough time over water to strengthen back up.

They were not expecting it to get back to a 5 before it hit Cuba either.

Let us not make any bets on this storm. The waters between Cuba and the Keys are warmer than any Irma has passed so far.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #282 on: September 09, 2017, 12:26:34 PM

Once again, stay safe people.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: September 09, 2017, 01:19:10 PM

Good luck and stay safe everyone.  Shit looks rough.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: September 09, 2017, 01:36:13 PM

Locking down here in Lee County for the night. See you all tomorrow.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: September 09, 2017, 02:56:09 PM

Good luck folks.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: September 09, 2017, 06:37:58 PM

A long term track just came out having Jose hit New York City.  ACK!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #287 on: September 09, 2017, 07:30:37 PM

well

that would be something
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: September 09, 2017, 11:15:22 PM

Irma back up to 4 either because of being over water or an eye wall replacement cycle.  Stay safe peeps.

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: September 09, 2017, 11:18:32 PM

And she's back to a cat4 already.  ACK!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: September 10, 2017, 05:45:34 AM

key west radar loop appears to be down.  I hope those guys in the NWS there are ok.  They have been true heroes in this so far we know what this thing is doing because of their radar since Irma encountered Cuba.  This is not a politics forum but how horrid has the NWS prediction model been throughout this entire ordeal (not talking about the radar from Key West).   We really need to invest in that as a county so that our weather model becomes the better of the two.  It is a real disgrace that the Euro model has been more accurate and reliable throughout this period where we needed good information in order to save lives.  Instead it seems clear that the models we have  has  led to a situation where people in the wrong coast fled and then when it became clear how bad the model was off, it caused a greater problem with more congestion, less resources, and more importantly less time.  

We absolutely need to invest in a mini manhatten project for weather prediction, especially if this is the new normal due to global warming.  What we don't need right now is another tax give away to the rich.

Irma back up to 4 either because of being over water or an eye wall replacement cycle.  Stay safe peeps.

The really bad news for people like my family is the gulf is warm.  Really, really warm 90+ degrees by Blind Pass in Sanibel as of this Monday morning and I have a nasty suspicion that before this hurricane encounters Naples with its highly destructive winds it will be up to a cat 5.  The real problem is not only is the water really warm, but the pressure keeps falling.   A horrid combination for people on the west coast.  I have pretty much resigned myself to coming back to nothing tomorrow evening.  I am really hopeful that my family will make it through this in Fort Myers as they have storm shutters and a hurricane door on their home.  

Regardless, the paradise of where I lived is about to get at best catastrophic wind and waters (hopefully at low tide and not at high tide).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:15:43 AM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: September 10, 2017, 06:06:16 AM

It looks like Key West is taking a direct hit.  I hope they have a concrete shelter to hunker down in.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #292 on: September 10, 2017, 07:25:08 AM

This is the best weather tracker I have seen in a browser. Can look at anything in the world including Irma, Jose, live or with projections, and click on any location for the wind speed and forecast.

Thinking of everyone affected. Stay safe.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:27:38 AM by Tale »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: September 10, 2017, 08:50:40 AM

Wow. That's an amazing site.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: September 10, 2017, 08:52:55 AM

Power keeps flickering here at downtown Fort Myers. Will probably go out soon. Hooray for diesel power gennys that take up an entire floor  awesome, for real

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: September 10, 2017, 09:11:20 AM

Good luck.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #296 on: September 10, 2017, 09:24:15 AM

Good Luck. I hope you're coming out of this alive and well. For all that that's worth Inwish you the best.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: September 10, 2017, 10:36:02 AM

The Nest cam and thermostat for my place in Cape Coral went down about 30 minutes ago now. Lost power and/or internet. Expected to do a drive-by shooting of my town by 9ish tonight.

Edit: And just as I hit the Post button, we lost main power and switched to the genny here at work.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:39:27 AM by luckton »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: September 10, 2017, 06:07:51 PM

Big storm surge apparently imminent where you are. Hope it's not as bad as feared.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: September 10, 2017, 10:00:48 PM

This is the best weather tracker I have seen in a browser. Can look at anything in the world including Irma, Jose, live or with projections, and click on any location for the wind speed and forecast.

Mesmerizing.  Seriously cool site.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #300 on: September 10, 2017, 10:20:36 PM

Mesmerizing.  Seriously cool site.

On the right, you can switch it to temperature (among a number of things), which is also useful to see the warm waters whipping up the hurricanes.

Apparently the site is the work of the European Centre for Medium-Range Forecasts, a 30-nation organisation in the UK. It’s also available as an app.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #301 on: September 11, 2017, 12:14:46 AM

Windy.tv is a great weather app/website (source of the ECMWF / GFS comparison I posted before), but not related to the ECMWF. It's a non-commercial pet project by a Pragueian (is that a word?) entrepreneur who made his millions launching the first Czech internet search engine in 1996 (Same year Google went live, incidentally).

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:21:21 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: September 11, 2017, 04:12:39 AM

I STILL LIVE!

And like fucking Neo, I dodged a bullet.

Storm went east of my location, because Irma apparently said "fuck you, Cantore, I'm gonna go to through Lehigh and take the scenic route.

I have no idea how my house is doing, but because the storm didn't stay on the water and drive-by the coast, we shouldn't have gotten the storm surge we were expecting. At least, not as bad.

Catching up on overnight reports right now. Looks like Zone A in my county was given a surge warning late last night, but I'm in B.
Anyone else out there get hit? Are you ok?

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #303 on: September 11, 2017, 05:34:47 AM

Great to hear you are alive.  Heart

(Understatement of the day)

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #304 on: September 11, 2017, 09:18:07 AM

This is not a politics forum but how horrid has the NWS prediction model been throughout this entire ordeal (not talking about the radar from Key West).   We really need to invest in that as a county so that our weather model becomes the better of the two.  It is a real disgrace that the Euro model has been more accurate and reliable throughout this period where we needed good information in order to save lives.

I've been told that the NWS is indeed working on a new model (as are we).  The science for these is intense and timely global forecasts require lots of computation power.  This is why we use everyone's models to generate a mosty-likely forecast; we do not even favor our own models in the aggregate.  Betting on a particular model track like a horse isn't really good science.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #305 on: September 11, 2017, 11:18:16 AM

I do not know where else to put this, but I just learned that the system we have that was set up to provide weather data for Madden '10 is still running.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #306 on: September 11, 2017, 11:22:18 AM

It's a Toyota, but whatever:
http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/09/10/hurricane-irma-weather-channel-van-almost-floats-away-miami

Yeah, don't do this kids.

There are two of those that sit in the parking lot most of the time.  I Instagramed them with the old paint job, haven't gotten the new one.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #307 on: September 11, 2017, 11:37:54 AM

"I guess they know what they're doing. They're the Weather Channel."   DRILLING AND MANLINESS why so serious? DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #308 on: September 11, 2017, 11:39:17 AM

This actually appeared in our corp Slack and I put the :chuck_norris: emote on it.

Fox is so crappy.  It neither almost floated away nor was a shitty GM.

schild
Administrator

Reply #309 on: September 11, 2017, 12:09:33 PM

how did it... almost float away?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #310 on: September 11, 2017, 01:44:22 PM

Fox just tells you things and you must believe them.  Facts are for libruls.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #311 on: September 11, 2017, 02:10:40 PM

how did it... almost float away?

All the vans float down there.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #312 on: September 11, 2017, 02:33:20 PM

Ft Myers could get 3-5 ft waves tonight.  North of Tampa to the Pee Handle & coastal GA-SC could see 4-6 ft.

Tornados possible today from Jax to Wilmington NC, then tomorrow maybe some from Wilmington to Norfolk VA.

Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #313 on: September 11, 2017, 03:11:43 PM

My family in Jacksonville is not hit by the flooding (other than the bacl yard that floods anytime it rains). But quite a lot of the riverside areas are apparently under up to 3-4 feet of water.

Power is out, though. Who knows when it will be back -- it's a lot of outages.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #314 on: September 11, 2017, 03:53:57 PM

Jeeeez.  And now Jose  Heartbreak

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: HURRICANE FUCKSTICK 5001: MORE IRMA, MORE CANE  
Jump to: