Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:49:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Marc Laidlaw (Former Valve Head Story guy) blog dumps Half-life ep 3 plot 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marc Laidlaw (Former Valve Head Story guy) blog dumps Half-life ep 3 plot  (Read 2309 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

on: August 25, 2017, 02:13:31 AM

So, for reasons currently unknown, former Valve Head Writer Marc Laidlaw, the guy who was pretty much the guy when it came to the story behind the Half Life franchise apparently just dumped what is though to be the plot synopsis for Episode 3 on his blog.

Youtube link to someone giving a bit of a rundown on the dump.
https://youtu.be/urza2sbU68Q

Original Blog post, wherein names, places and stuff are ever so quaintly obfuscated. (getting hammered so hard I still have been unable to load the page after several hours)
www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

Pastebin link to the "translated" version of his obfuscated plot exposition.
https://pastebin.com/q9DMFa7c

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 03:52:35 AM

No closure, little answers that don't mean anything, the Gman walks off after doing another kidnap for a sequel and G.Freeman has a more interested adventure we don't get to hear about.

Fuck You, Gabe Newell.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:57:20 AM

I wonder if they could ever actually explain some of the elements of the story satisfyingly, the GMan in particular.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 05:52:57 AM

So, for reasons currently unknown, former Valve Head Writer Marc Laidlaw, the guy who was pretty much the guy when it came to the story behind the Half Life franchise apparently just dumped what is though to be the plot synopsis for Episode 3 on his blog.

The last paragraph explains it expertly, I think.

And here we are. I spoke of my return to this shore. It has been a circuitous path to lands I once knew, and surprising to see how much the terrain has changed. Enough time has passed that few remember me, or what I was saying when last I spoke, or what precisely we hoped to accomplish. At this point, the resistance will have failed or succeeded, no thanks to me. Old friends have been silenced, or fallen by the wayside. I no longer know or recognize most members of the research team, though I believe the spirit of rebellion still persists. I expect you know better than I the appropriate course of action, and I leave you to it. Except no further correspondence from me regarding these matters; this is my final epistle

The shine is finally off Valve and they are no longer the heroes they once were to hoards of the internet. The Reddit thread has enough anecdotes of 'guys who know guys' or links to articles from places that explain what anyone with a business brain knew for years. The 'flat' structure doesn't work to get shit done in a mature company, and only leads to nepotism, suckling at the teat of other's successes, and no real work actually accomplished.

He left Valve in 2016 according to his blog. It has to have been frustrating for him, as a creative, to have watched the company stop creating. To have his ideas sit in a locker never to be seen. It's one thing if you produce for yourself, but that was made to be seen and only the lame corporate structure kept it from being so.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 07:02:47 AM

Anyone who still thinks that Valve will eventually put out a Half Life Episode 3 or Half Life 3 (or in fact any sort of game that is not Dota-related) is waiting for Godot at this point. The Steam storefront and selling loot boxes and virtual hats to people with more money than sense is raking in so much money that no one in Valve's upper management is giving any sort of fuck about game development. They're also not giving a flying fuck about Steam or how to improve and expand it but that's beside the point.

I can fully understand that the one guy who was responsible for a lot of Half Life's story eventually comes forward and presents the things that would have ended up in a new Half Life if there were still any people left at Valve that actually know how to make games and are not miered in office politics and general backstabbery.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Valve is not a gaming company at this point.

But they should certainly fund a few studios to make these games.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 07:52:20 AM

I wonder if they could ever actually explain some of the elements of the story satisfyingly, the GMan in particular.

The GMan is Gordon Freeman from the future.

That's my theory, at least.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 04:55:26 PM

There's no logical reason for valve to put out half-life 3. Doing a single player narrative FPS makes little sense in the current environment.

And the flat structure and privately held company means they are not obliged to put out yearly sequels unless they want to / feel they can add something.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Marc Laidlaw (Former Valve Head Story guy) blog dumps Half-life ep 3 plot  
Jump to: