Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2017/2018 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soccer thread 2017/2018  (Read 68636 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: October 01, 2017, 11:14:00 AM

Liverpool's defensive issues have nothing to do with the system and everything to do with personnel, I'm thoroughly convinced of that. Nothing about the system dictates you just let a dude stroll straight through 2 defenders like that. The only thing the system might have done is have the fullbacks a little closer to the back line so that one of them could have mopped up what the other two chucklefucks failed to do. But if you can't rely on your fucking center backs to stop one guy on a good pass directly through the middle of them, I don't know how you can ever expect not to ship goals.

They are on a run of cold scoring, despite getting about a billion chances a game. It happens but it'll turn back. That's where you have to be able to rely on your defense. Sturridge may be done as a starter. I just didn't see enough out of him to justify his place and frankly, I'd rather see Solanke at the striker spot over Firmino.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 11:55:39 AM

A solid holding midfielder would mean less opportunity to pass the ball straight between the defenders, a solid defender would make sure to take depth when there is no pressure in the midfield. The last time liverpool had both we had great defense, dortmund had both under Klopp.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #37 on: October 01, 2017, 12:15:53 PM

Liverpool really needs a Julian Weigel/Ilkay Gundogan type. Instead we have Can/Henderson, neither of which are strong enough defensively for what's required.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 02, 2017, 01:23:11 AM

I said at the time that Liverpool should sell Coutinho for 100-120m? to Barca. I still believe that, and then used the money to buy someone like Aubameyang for 100m. They really need a goal scorer leading the line, look at how Lukaku has already helped transform Uniteds habit of drawing games.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:24:54 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 02, 2017, 02:12:05 AM

The offer that Barcenlona had for Coutinho included addons that were close to impossible like ballon d'or, scoring most goals in la liga and other things, think the real sum was around €80M, with only €25M up front.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: October 02, 2017, 09:11:10 AM

If they weren't going to take the first offer for Coutinho, there was no reason to take any of them, because they'd have needed all that time to actually spend that money. And even then, trying to find 1) a replacement for Coutinho that someone was willing to sell and 2) a proven striker in addition was not going to be easy, and likely would have failed no matter how much money they spent. Shit, Barca had to spend upwards of 115 Million just to get Dembele. We couldn't even get Keita until next summer despite throwing insane numbers around. Aubameyang would have cost all the Coutinho money. ALL OF IT. And we still would have a shitty defense, a shitty left back (since Klopp doesn't want to start Robertson for some inscrutable reason), a sketchy as fuck #1 and #2 goalkeeper (I'm to the point where I'd rather they just fucking start Danny Ward and suck up the inevitable fumbles he'll make learning) and no good holding/deep lying playmaker midfielder type.

I'm already a bit resigned to "next season" while hoping we can at least get into other group stages of the Champions league and finish top 4 but I'm not entirely sure we can do that right now.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 07:06:58 PM

Fuck you USA. Now we have to play Honduras.
WayAbvPar

Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 07:40:49 PM

What a complete shitshow. Fire everyone from Sunil down to the goddamned janitor and start over. Fucking disgraceful.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #43 on: October 10, 2017, 08:06:43 PM

How the fuck do you lose to T&T?

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 12:05:17 AM

Panama won their game by scoring a goal that went outside the post which ended up eliminating USA. Can't believe that they still have those sort of issues in football.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 03:35:50 AM

I blame Trump Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 05:25:36 AM

Fuck you USA. Now we have to play Honduras.

This. I don't even get the pleasure of trash talking with my colleagues up to this tie. Now I only get to go into work and make fun of them today. This World Cup is going to blow.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 06:25:49 AM

I think FOX bought the US rights to the World Cup for $200M this year. They are going to lose half their money on that venture now.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 08:36:36 AM

Panamanians seemed pretty happy. Commentators sounded like they had a seizure, hilarious.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 15, 2017, 08:28:48 AM

Australia makes the world cup.

Italy and the USA don't.

muahahahahahah. SUCK IT ITALY (no I haven't forgotten your shitty diving from 2006)

Also Arsenal and Spurs this weekend. How much with Arsenal lose by?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
WayAbvPar

Reply #50 on: November 15, 2017, 10:26:17 AM

Having Italy miss out almost makes the US choke job worth it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 07, 2017, 12:37:24 AM

4 premier league teams won their group and all 5 advanced through the group stages in champions league. With liverpool you can never be sure what will happen, they can lead 3-0 and either they win with 7-0 or its a draw. Very different compared to how it has been before.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #52 on: December 07, 2017, 06:25:40 AM

Still looks like Barca or PSG's title to win.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 07, 2017, 07:23:20 AM

Can Man City compete with the big boys or can Man U pull it out of its butt, Mourinho bus parking style?

That's the only way I see an EPL team winning the thing.  Man City could win on talent alone.

I wish I could find a link to the article I read recently which pointed out, in face of all the criticism the EPL gets for its CL failures, that the EPL is actually a competitive league which takes a greater toll on its teams vs La Liga which is basically 2.5 teams, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga which are 1.5 teams and Serie A which is 1, maybe 2 depending on the financial solvency of your favourite team. EPL has 4 teams that could legitimately win the whole thing (CHE, MC, MU, TOT), 2 teams that can spoil those teams chance on any given match day (Liverpool, Arsenal) and a bunch of other teams that have can compete on a day with those teams.

tldr, fuck La Liga fanbois.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #54 on: December 07, 2017, 07:24:21 AM

As a Liverpool fan, I'd be fine if we got out of the next stage, anything beyond that is gravy. I don't think any of the English teams are good bets to win it all - City is the only one I think has a reasonable chance but they've just never done all that well in the Champion's League. Last year's advance to the semis was a bit of an aberration (and ended with a flop) but they are better this year so who knows? Mourinho is more likely to get United farther than the team likely deserves, and you can never count out Chelsea. Spurs are just Spurs and are just as likely as Liverpool to be world-beaters one day before losing to Scunthorpe United 6-0.

EDIT: As for the Bundesliga, Bayern has kind of warped the perception of the league in the last few years thanks to buying up ALL the talent from the rest of the league, but as a competitive league, it's pretty damn good. The top 5 places are all up for grabs, it's just that Bayern has such a wealth of talent. I think both La Liga and Bundesliga teams do better in the Champion's League because they actually take a goddamn winter break rather than play 2-3 times the number of fixtures in December and January. English teams are just fucking decimated by the time the round of 16 starts up.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:27:33 AM by HaemishM »

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 27, 2017, 11:30:41 AM

Confirmed that Liverpool has bought Virgil Van Dijk from Southampton. Telegraph mentions £75M transfer fee, not said if there is any addons included in that number.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #56 on: December 27, 2017, 12:12:11 PM

I'm all for Liverpool buying a top defender, but fuck me, that's an insane amount of money to pay for one even one of his caliber. Plus, it's not like paying Southampton a fuckload of money for a defender has worked out so well in the past.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 28, 2017, 01:18:21 PM

If it helps us secure a champ league spot for next year its damn well worth it. Relying on just Matip, Lovren and Klavan for the rest of the season would have been a huge gamble, especially since matip have been away a bit due to injuries and lovren tends to be out due to injuries sometimes as well.

Viktor nilsson lindelöf cost something like £30M and mourinho keeps him on the bench for good reasons.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:25:13 PM by Gimfain »

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 06, 2018, 11:12:53 AM

Liverpool agreed with barcelona on coutinho transfer, report of €160M including addons, regardless shitload of money for that sort of player. Coutinho is good but he aint that good.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:35:59 AM by Gimfain »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #59 on: January 06, 2018, 11:45:58 AM

I love Coutinho, but yeah, that kind of money is just fuckstupid. The whole transfer makes no logical sense especially now - Barca are well-clear of the La Liga title, Coutinho can't play in the Champions League so can't help them there (other than maybe weakening Liverpool's CL chances in case Barca plays against them). Liverpool, meanwhile, need Coutinho for securing next season's Champions League place, as well as FA cup runs and actual Champions League games. If I had been in Liverpool's shoes, I've have tried to set the transfer fee to take effect in the summer, like they did with RB Leipzig's Keita. I'm sure what happened here though was that Coutinho just didn't want that at all and was ready to start pitching a fit. So we basically got a situation that's probably bad for everyone involved.

Here's hoping Liverpool can convince Monaco to part with Thomas Lemarr or find someone of similar capabilities. Top 4 is going to be a tough struggle if they don't, as evidenced by needing a soft penalty and a corner to beat a really weak Everton side.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 06, 2018, 08:34:47 PM

PulisictoLiverpoolthereisaidit

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: January 06, 2018, 09:06:38 PM

Much as I'd love it, that shit ain't happening. Dortmund is probably going to have to sell Aubamyeng so they'll need all the scorers they can get. If he was healthy, I'd say they should get Schurrle from Dortmund but I don't think that'll happen either.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 14, 2018, 09:23:41 AM

Its minute 65 of the Liverpool City game and I just want to post here that I wouldn't be surprised at ALL if Liverpool gives up this lead.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 14, 2018, 09:26:51 AM

Nevermind.  Salah!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 14, 2018, 09:38:57 AM

Who needs Coutinho eh  cool
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:05:52 PM by Amarr HM »

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 14, 2018, 09:50:15 AM

Waaaaiit

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 14, 2018, 11:34:58 AM

Who would have thought Salah would turn out the be the goal scorer Liverpool needed, beautiful finish that was.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: January 14, 2018, 11:51:17 AM

That was clearly the best Premier League game of the season from any perspective except maybe that of a Man City fan. Liverpool tried to piss it away, they tried REALLY HARD. Ox was Man of the Match for my money, followed by Andy Robertson. Salah was actually muted most of the game but he's just too goddamn good. I expect him to be playing at the Bernebeau by Sept. 2019.

Karius is CLEARLY not good enough to be #1, as he's not even as good as Mignolet. While that first goal was set up by Gomez's insanely bad play on that lofted ball, Karius' just got his positioning all wrong, which he does often. His kicking is as bad as Mignolet's and he's no better on crosses into the box. Mignolet is actually a better shot stopper, but neither one is good enough at the level Liverpool want to be at.

Sanchez going to United most likely in the next 48 hours. Arsenal is currently Arsenaling it up and I think may finally have dropped themselves out of the annual race for the Arsene Wenger 4th Place Trophy.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #68 on: February 05, 2018, 01:06:17 PM

Liverpool 2 - Tottenham 1 - Referees 2

Fuck Prem refs. Fuck them in their tiny little earholes. They deserve to have to deal with VAR.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 24, 2018, 01:48:01 PM

It feels like our defense improved a lot lately with van dijk brought in and karius replacing mignolet. The defender that truly shines right now is andy robertson, his positioning is so much better than moreno and he adds a lot to our offense as well. Our defense can still screw up on things but 3 months ago I was a nervous wreck every time we conceded a corner.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2017/2018  
Jump to: