Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:36:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Bright 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bright  (Read 23740 times)
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 31, 2017, 01:01:34 AM

Hm, I did think it was implied somewhere that grabbing a wand was the only way to know if you were a Bright but maybe I made that up.

In any case, you're totally right about the list and I shouldn't have made it the focal point of my post. But it's not that I was bothered by the plot holes themselves so much; I just felt like the world and key figures were given so little characterization that I end up with some similarly stupid list of questions no matter what part of it I try to analyze.

Anyway, I don't want to shit on anyone's fun if I'm not being constructive, but since I am surprised at the positive response here, I want to ask the people that enjoyed this a couple things:
1. Was there a villain you found particularly compelling? How did you perceive their personality?
2. Was there a fight scene you found particularly cool? What did you like about it?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 01, 2018, 08:22:13 AM

They said that grabbing a wand was the only way to know if you're a Bright. Unless your first name in Rainbow.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: January 02, 2018, 03:32:57 AM

Hic sunt dracones.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #73 on: January 02, 2018, 05:22:15 AM

Weirdest adaptation ever.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: January 02, 2018, 06:31:15 PM

For me it was a fucked up mess of a movie that was nevertheless entertaining.   

They could try this again, maybe as a series instead of a movie.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #75 on: January 03, 2018, 08:19:11 PM

I watched this. I had a great time. I want more.

I don't need the back story spoon fed to me. There was enough to go on. It was an interesting world. It was funny.

The way high fantasy is based in divisions between races is an itch I've wanted to see scratched and this was a good way to do that.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 04, 2018, 02:06:00 PM

It was good for what it was.  If this were on the Big Screen, I'd have wanted more.  I do think it would have been better as a series rather than a movie, but I'd say the same about Men in Black or most of Will Smith's other movies.

I don't need Will Smith in future installments.  Will Smith as Gandalf is not where I want this to go.  I'd rather see them go broader (cover more characters) than deeper (revisit the well) in this universe.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: January 04, 2018, 03:36:42 PM

Most things would be better as series than as movies.

I am the .00000001428%
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 05, 2018, 07:03:28 AM

I'd really like to see something based on the Magic Feds.  Watching as the human goes from frumpy cop to stereotypical wizard, and the elf just doesn't age at all.

I'm pretty sure ideas like this are why no one comes to me for script ideas.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 05, 2018, 07:11:05 AM

I'd really like to see something based on the Magic Feds.  Watching as the human goes from frumpy cop to stereotypical wizard, and the elf just doesn't age at all.

I'm pretty sure ideas like this are why no one comes to me for script ideas.

Was the human fed a wizard? Cause I was totally getting that vibe off him.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 05, 2018, 07:12:08 AM

Also are wands being treated like the rings of power? Cause I was getting a very "alluring power drawing out the worst in people" type vibe from the interactions with it.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 05, 2018, 08:21:27 AM

I got the feeling that people (humans, elves, etc) are all generally pretty selfish/horrible and giving anyone the enormous amount of power that the wands represent tended to result in mass destruction.  Especially those people who were actively trying to secure the wands - already self-selected for the worst of the lot.  Which is why they are treated like WMDs.

I didn't get the feeling that the human fed was bright.  I'm not sure about the elf, I guess I was assuming that he wasn't, but was probably really old and had been around.  I did get the feeling that only the brights were actually capable of magic.

I can't point to anything specifically in the movie that made me think either of those things, just a feeling.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 05, 2018, 01:24:13 PM

Was the human fed a wizard? Cause I was totally getting that vibe off him.
Even though he was a very minor, very side character, I got a kick out of him.  At first glance he seemed like like the slovenly half of an odd-couple paring.  But then as you looked more, it slowly dawns that if old wizards look like Gandalf, this must be what youngish, non-goth wizards look like.

But I've always been a nerd for "industrial magic", where magic is incorporated into modern society like electricity.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #83 on: January 05, 2018, 04:26:18 PM

At first glance, I thought the non-elf fed looked like a dwarf obviously without the height restriction. But now that you all are mentioning it...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 07, 2018, 06:37:34 AM

I wanted to see more dark lord.  It didn't seem like the Advent Children had much of a plan.  We were teased with magic vs. tanks vs. shield of light stuff, and it never happened.  They just easily carved their way through everyone in sight only to be stopped by Will Smith, slayer of fairies, because ?
Other minor issues, etc etc.  But it was overall fun, I appreciate the genre choice,  and it was much much better than the new Star Wars!

Why don't you try our other games?
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 08, 2018, 08:05:01 AM

Also are wands being treated like the rings of power? Cause I was getting a very "alluring power drawing out the worst in people" type vibe from the interactions with it.

Well in theory if you know how to use them they can basically make your wishes come true. They at one point describe them as a nuclear bomb that grants wishes. So yes that kind of power and ability will tend to draw out the worst part of a lot of people especially greedy/stupid/desperate ones. Like the head gangster I can sympathise for why he wants it so bad he is willing to take the chance it instant gibbs him for the chance of something that can heal his body.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: January 08, 2018, 08:13:00 AM

Yeah, it was actually explicitly said that they granted wishes.  They did whatever the fuck you wanted (which raises more questions than it answers, but hey ho).

Who wouldn't be allured to that ?  Apart from a straight-talking, wise-cracking cop only five days from retirement ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: January 08, 2018, 02:56:40 PM

Yeah, it was actually explicitly said that they granted wishes.  They did whatever the fuck you wanted (which raises more questions than it answers, but hey ho).

Who wouldn't be allured to that ?  Apart from a straight-talking, wise-cracking cop only five days from retirement ?

Well a lot of non desperate greedy folks rightfully would be terrified of trying to touch the wand. It is like buying a lottery ticket where if you don't win you die instantly and horribly.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 08, 2018, 03:08:15 PM

I'm gonna say it probably doesn't actually just grant any wish you want like a genie, it seems to work just like a higher powered version of a potter wand in that you need to know the spells and you can't just magic up anything your heart desires.  After 2000 years of magic being kept under the radar however, a mystery about wands probably got built up.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: January 09, 2018, 01:19:20 AM

Yeah, it wasn't really clear.  A lot of it wasn't really clear.  But we're into 'absolute power corrupts absolutely' territory and they made that VERY clear.

I was quite surprised just how blatantly they went with 'Yeah, all LA cops are corrupt, always.'  Some refreshing honesty.   why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: January 19, 2018, 09:27:51 AM

I have been waiting for a Shadow Run movie ever since I read Never Deal with Dragons for the first time in 1990(ish), I even played Shadowrun for a few years.

I am at a loss of words for how dissapointed I am.

This was utter drek. The writing ... "Fairy lives don't matter" ... Facepalm

Mob Mob Mob

At least Max Landis will stay away from part 2.

Fuck. I rarely get angry about movies, but this ...

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: January 19, 2018, 10:45:29 AM

I enjoyed Bright. It wasn't amazing but I'll probably watch the sequel.

As for that Twitter quote, that was a dumb thing to say publicly. However, even if you think the writing was shit, keep in mind a script rarely goes to film without major revisions. I can 100% guarantee that Will Smith caused massive changes to the script. For instance "fairy lives don't matter" sounds exactly like the type of line Will Smith would have added to the script or improv on the day of shooting.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #92 on: January 19, 2018, 10:54:49 AM

Max Landis is quickly transitioning in to "do not watch" whenever I see his name on a project.  Chronicle was good, but the rest is highly questionable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Bright  
Jump to: