Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:14:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff  (Read 106714 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #105 on: September 19, 2017, 07:19:51 PM

no one wants to fix a tablet

if you're doing things that are breaking a tablet, it's you, not the tablet
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #106 on: September 19, 2017, 08:57:52 PM

Yeah, that.  The entire point of a tablet is you just buy it and use it.  That's why Apples work so well, that's the realm of things they are strongest in.  It extends to phones for me as well.  Mind you I haven't tried them all, but every time somebody hands me an Android, I always feel like I'm struggling with the shitty interface.  Pretty much have to use Apple for phones/tablets now, as everything else drives me bonkers.

Also, all electronics five years old or more are completely worthless.  Phones, computers, tablets...I use them as Frisbees or target practice.  It's completely stupid of Apple to give any money for that worthless garbage.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #107 on: September 19, 2017, 10:57:25 PM

We give money for that stuff because its better than people tossing them in landfills.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: September 20, 2017, 05:44:05 AM

We give money for that stuff because its better than people tossing them in landfills.

Businesses never do anything for a reason like that.  I'm assuming they buy them back for parts they can sell in the Asian markets and any rare metals that can be extracted and reused.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #109 on: September 20, 2017, 06:25:44 AM

Pushing updates isn't an Apple thing, it's an industry thing. I've turned off every option I could find for updating apps, uninstalled as much crap as I could, and every time I connect my Galaxy tablet to the wifi, it sucks down all my connectivity updating shit I don't use.

Though it would be nice if Apple would stop asking me DAILY if I want to update their suite of bloatware on my laptop.

Also, ShirleyBob, for the love of Odin can we get an HDCP chain? I have the Apple-branded C -> HDMI adapter and it breaks HDCP. C'mon, man.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #110 on: September 20, 2017, 07:18:55 AM

Oh, come on, that's greenwashing rhetoric for the rubes. You don't give money someone could use in a restaurant (or to buy a competing product), you give store credit that can only be used inside the Apple ecosystem, exchanging a portion of your extremely fat margins to take used product out of the market (so that you can sell used goods at 10% off the price of new).

Which is fine, it's a business strategy and as such not really subject to moral judgements. But don't pretend that the goal is anything other than profit.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #111 on: September 20, 2017, 07:55:35 PM

I've started hearing Rick Sanchez when Dave posts.

Not that I use a tablet.  They are in-between bastards for my purposes, rather use a phone for lightweight/mobile and a laptop for heavyweight tasks.

Moving to a Mac from a Win laptop has been summarily incredible.  This is because it just fucking works.  There are two parts to "JFW": I don't have to install a lot of intermediary applications to do my job, and it doesn't break.  Guess how many times I've had to restart the print spooler in Windows in any single year since 1996.  Now guess how many times I've had to restart the print spooler on the MBP over the past 2.5 years that I've used it.  Hint: the number is the same even when you multiply it by the 3 Macs that I now own/use.

Bonus points if you guess my interest level in PC repair these days.

I'm really thinking of moving to iPhone after using Android since it was a thing I could buy.  While Apple makes expensive things that JFW, Google makes free/cheap shit that works for some percentage of the time with an even lower percentage of features.  Maybe Project Fi was the last straw, failing to meet the advertised ability once again.

Feel free to sprinkle several "Aw, geez" in there.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #112 on: September 20, 2017, 08:29:19 PM

I've started hearing Rick Sanchez when Dave posts.

You kind of asked for this.

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #113 on: September 20, 2017, 09:12:58 PM

Project Fi has been nothing short of perfect for me, but I go out of my way to never ever go to most of America.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #114 on: September 21, 2017, 07:46:36 AM

So does Project Fi! BOOM!

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 22, 2017, 05:06:31 PM

I've started playing around with home automation vie Amazon Echo, the Logitech Harmony hub and a handful of WeMos.  Not gonna lie, it's kinda cool to tell your house what to do with simple voice commands and have it work.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #116 on: September 23, 2017, 10:58:43 AM

I've dipped my toe into those waters recently with a Blink camera system.  I have one set up to watch my front porch so I can see when I've got packages waiting for me at home, and a nightvision-enabled one in the backyard so I can spy on the local wildlife.  Whole thing is connected to a free cloud service and is controlled via phone app that lets me turn cameras on and off, get live video, etc.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #117 on: September 23, 2017, 11:26:35 PM

Yeah, but how long before your house is hijacked by some script kiddie in Estonia and is used to DDOS Amazon?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #118 on: September 25, 2017, 06:12:22 AM

my current iPad Pro got stuck in a loop verifying the OS11 update. Can't even turn it off.

completely forcing a reset seems to have worked, annoying
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:15:07 AM by schild »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #119 on: September 25, 2017, 12:46:57 PM

You kind of asked for this.

Absolutely. awesome, for real
My wife's favorite quote is "Being nice is what stupid people do to hedge their bets".

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: September 28, 2017, 10:42:12 AM

I've started playing around with home automation vie Amazon Echo, the Logitech Harmony hub and a handful of WeMos.  Not gonna lie, it's kinda cool to tell your house what to do with simple voice commands and have it work.

I have an echo dot in the kitchen and I use it for times and music. It's great.

I have an Nvidia shield tv and im looking forward to Google Assistant.
schild
Administrator

Reply #121 on: October 04, 2017, 01:31:03 PM

Fucking amateur hour over at google. AMATEUR. HOUR.

They make it so fucking hard to BUY A PHONE.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #122 on: October 04, 2017, 02:25:02 PM

What happened? The only thing the headlines tell me is that one or both have a very nice camera.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: October 04, 2017, 02:45:04 PM

Argh.

Fucking iPad trade in website didn't take my submission properly 2 weeks ago when I submitted it and now the estimated value is $25 less. Of course, since it is a contractor that runs the website when I call them they say "your quote request was not submitted properly" even though I went through their process properly and asked for them to ship me a return pack. It kicked me to their "check the status" page as soon as I accepted their terms. Since "Apple sets the values" I am apparently out the $25 because I didn't call and check earlier.

The question now becomes, is it worth my time to try and navigate through the Apple bureaucracy to get that $25?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #124 on: October 04, 2017, 04:08:40 PM

I’ve never once had Apple successfully bend policy or protocol. I enjoy the products overall, but I’m always purchasing with the idea they’re fucking me in one way or another. I hope you win.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: October 05, 2017, 06:40:05 AM

Yeah, you have to go into being an Apple customer with the understanding of the massive ego of their corporate culture.
schild
Administrator

Reply #126 on: October 22, 2017, 02:36:33 PM

Man, Google. Fuck you. You release the Pixel 2 XL. You don't stock enough of the OBVIOUSLY superior black and white one. You offer a good price on a Pixel XL trade-in ($400). And then your fucking shopping cart breaks. And before you restock them, the price of the trade-in on the Pixel XL starts going down.

If Apple didn't offer even worse trade-in prices, this would be the end of that shit. I'd be on that ridiculous iPhone X in the blink of an eye. Alas, Apple's trade-in prices are somehow more insulting.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #127 on: October 23, 2017, 06:02:10 AM

In Bizzaro World: my wife is considering replacing her iPhone 5.  Apparently the choices suck even in this situation.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: October 23, 2017, 10:27:56 AM

I'm considering giving up my flip phone for my first smart phone.  Change IS possible.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: October 23, 2017, 10:37:29 AM

Battery life on my old Fire tablet is down to maybe 3 hours per charge, and it won't hold charge for long when not in use.

Ordered a Fire HD 10 as a replacement.  Sure, it's shit for anything other than consuming media, but that's all I used the old one for anyway.  And it's dirt cheap.

Now I need to learn how to transfer my Analog/Asimov's Science Fiction magazines between the old and new devices.  I'm hoping it's just a matter of drag to PC/drag to new Kindle....

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #130 on: October 23, 2017, 11:33:10 AM

Man, Google. Fuck you. You release the Pixel 2 XL. You don't stock enough of the OBVIOUSLY superior black and white one. You offer a good price on a Pixel XL trade-in ($400). And then your fucking shopping cart breaks. And before you restock them, the price of the trade-in on the Pixel XL starts going down.

If Apple didn't offer even worse trade-in prices, this would be the end of that shit. I'd be on that ridiculous iPhone X in the blink of an eye. Alas, Apple's trade-in prices are somehow more insulting.
It's probably for the best that you can't get one right now:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/18/16489756/google-pixel-2xl-awful-lg-oled-screen

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/22/16518298/google-investigating-pixel-2-xl-screen-burn-in
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: October 23, 2017, 06:34:56 PM

I'm actually kinda debating going over to Google Fi with the Moto X4, which seems pretty solid for a midrange ($400) handset.  Just waiting to hear about how the experience goes for people first - I've been with AT&T (using cheap off-contract phones) for years now and have been pretty happy, even on the customer service side of things.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: October 24, 2017, 08:56:27 AM

If you use over 8ish gigs of data Fi is pointless.

TMobile is better.
schild
Administrator

Reply #133 on: October 24, 2017, 09:08:12 AM

i use like 1gb a month unless i'm on vacation
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: October 24, 2017, 09:55:12 AM

I use like .04GB unless I'm on vacation. The old lady? Last month I had to up the plan to 12GB and she still went over. 4 times.

She's hard into the FB addiction. It's a problem.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: October 24, 2017, 10:30:24 AM

Every time we've exceeded the 30 gig monthly cap, it was due to my daughter's data use on her phone.

So the kids' devices got moved to a separate AT&T unlimited data account and I added an LTE hotspot to it.  For once, living in the sticks has worked in our favor--the family killed the 22 gigs of guaranteed hi-speed data in a couple days watching Netflix & Hulu, but I've yet to see any deprioritization.  There just isn't enough network traffic around us for it to happen.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: October 24, 2017, 11:51:09 AM

I was chuckling at the timeliness of watching ten minutes of youtube video at home on lunch because the power went off. For me, that's a pretty big drain! Only ten minutes because I just read a book instead.

It doesn't take long after the power goes out before I remember how ok I am with power being out (though I'd prefer a modern bathroom situation!).
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #137 on: October 30, 2017, 02:43:48 PM

I find the overall experience of Fi to be less than VZW.  The wifi calling is pretty shitty.  I think it is what phone calls sound like in Venezuela.  The coverage is less, except in my own house where it is still shitty but I can get calls over wifi.  Somehow I am now unable to place calls over wifi.  Yeah, the price is less but what the fuck am I working for if I am going to just use my money to buy something shitty?  The grave is fast approaching and I don't want to have to spend time not making calls.

I'm going back to VZW as soon as I can get a signal booster installed.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: October 30, 2017, 02:51:30 PM

My place seems to be in some AT&T dead spot, so I have to use WiFi calling there anyway. Which is very swamp poop, but whatever. Since it is only within a roughly 30 yard range, I suspect one of my neighbors is running some kind of jammer.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: October 30, 2017, 04:11:55 PM

Really? I use wifi calling on Verizon all the time and it's crystal clear.

- Viin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff  
Jump to: