Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:47:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff  (Read 106712 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #70 on: September 14, 2017, 09:14:49 AM

I'm trying to get excited for that iPhone 10 because while the hardware is always a gen or two behind the latest Samsung/Android flagship, Apple's software for camera use is just so fucking top notch.  That plus imessage being what everyone in my family continues to use despite like 12 different messaging apps that work better and seamlessly between operating systems.

That said, looks like Google is unveiling Pixel 2 in a couple weeks, so it might be a moot point anyways.

Yego's list is pretty accurate for what I use mine for: pictures/vids, messaging, 2 factor, phone, maps and browsing.

I will say this about smartphones in general - the mobile web is FUCKING CANCER because of the app store.

Has anyone used one of these before: https://pi-hole.net/ basically adblocker at your router.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #71 on: September 14, 2017, 12:39:02 PM

€1149/€1349 for a phone that is doing a lot of stuff wrong and feels like a step back from previous generations is really hard to swallow.

My company has been a member of the wireless power consortium (the people behind Qi wireless charging) and this technology is practically dead. Less than 40 products have been certified this year and it's on its way out in practically every other phone with Samsung being a weird holdout. Apple isn't even supplying its own branded charger. It's so unlike Apple to integrate a decade old nearly dead technology into their flagship product.

Throwing out Touch ID for facial recognition - a tech that still needs to prove that it works at all and isn't fooled by a simple photograph or stops working when you replace your glasses. The price equivalent of a MacBook. Return to all glass (otherwise wireless charging wouldn't work) and therefore foregoing the color customization that was really popular.

That weird 5.8 inch OLED screen.

Animated 3D emojis and selfie functions

This device feels like three years ago.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #72 on: September 14, 2017, 12:40:57 PM

I never had a mobile phone when they were just phones. I had no need to talk to people if I wasn't at work, where I had a phone; or at home, where I had a phone. I never had one when texting first got big. Call me, damnit. If you can't reach me I don't need to talk to you.

I do however, have a pocket computer. And it's glorious.

2-factor authentication alone is mandatory anymore. This requires the phone.
Electronic boarding passes.
Photos at a whim
Internet in my pocket
Weight management software
Exercise tracking software
"Oh shit what was I buying again?" list management for Home repair & grocery.  I had SO MANY goddamn sticky notes before 2013.
Music for workout/ car/ yardwork.  I had an iPod previously and would still without the phone. Music goes everywhere with me.
movie pass. (now $10/ month for unlimited 2d viewing. yay.)
Managing frequent buyer programs. My data's already out there, I may as well profit from it.
Kitchen Timer
Recipe Book
Replaced my alarm clock, added lots of timers.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #73 on: September 14, 2017, 01:02:28 PM

€1149/€1349 for a phone that is doing a lot of stuff wrong and feels like a step back from previous generations is really hard to swallow.

My company has been a member of the wireless power consortium (the people behind Qi wireless charging) and this technology is practically dead. Less than 40 products have been certified this year and it's on its way out in practically every other phone with Samsung being a weird holdout. Apple isn't even supplying its own branded charger. It's so unlike Apple to integrate a decade old nearly dead technology into their flagship product.

Throwing out Touch ID for facial recognition - a tech that still needs to prove that it works at all and isn't fooled by a simple photograph or stops working when you replace your glasses. The price equivalent of a MacBook. Return to all glass (otherwise wireless charging wouldn't work) and therefore foregoing the color customization that was really popular.

That weird 5.8 inch OLED screen.

Animated 3D emojis and selfie functions

This device feels like three years ago.

Wait for the rose-colored tint ... you know it's coming.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #74 on: September 14, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

I don't know, maybe. The only recent Apple product I'm excited about are the AirPods because they are really awesome small wireless headphones you can only use with iPhone 7/7+. They lack an accessory which would enable you to use them on standard audio equipment which is a fucking obvious product idea (AirPod transmitter). One that Steve Jobs would have gladly capitalized on and sold to you for $199.

I can't imagine myself going back to an all glass phone. Disliked that in the recent Samsung devices as well. Makes the device heavier, thicker and more prone to breaking for little additional benefit (wireless charging) it also make the colors look shit because painting it is fucking difficult and has delayed previous all glass iPhones for over a year. (Anyone remember the first white iPhone 4?)

I'm also waiting until others have lost their rose tinted glasses and i get the real gist on face ID and if it works at all and if it was worth scrapping one of the best ways to unlock your phone and authenticate yourself just to get rid of one button.

You know just like the touch bar on the new MacBook Pros that was hyped up at launch and is now universally loathed by even the most die hard fans.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #75 on: September 14, 2017, 04:10:53 PM

I am also starting to realize I don't really need a smartphone. It's nice to have access to email/Slack/browser on the go.

If I cut the list down to must-haves, it looks like:
Lyft
Spotify and white noise
2FA

I think 2FA is the only one I can't live without, everything else I can do from a browser.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #76 on: September 14, 2017, 04:21:30 PM

The argument has been made that there's no adoption because no one's bothered to back it properly. That's pretty much what Apple's process is. Look at NFC and how it wasn't really that big a deal in the US until Applepay. And if wireless charging doesn't work out, you've still got your lighting charger.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #77 on: September 14, 2017, 04:30:27 PM

It's also possible QiWireless's technology is the easiest to extend to do what Apple wants it to do and/or that QiWireless the company was the most willing to work with Apple on the types of changes Apple want.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #78 on: September 14, 2017, 04:45:37 PM

NDA

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: September 14, 2017, 07:23:58 PM

is apple pay actually a thing people use?

i like my metal credit cards with chips
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 14, 2017, 07:27:17 PM

Has anyone used one of these before: https://pi-hole.net/ basically adblocker at your router.

I'm running with it.  Its really good 95% of the time - the 5% is when you actually do want to use ads (primarily because of referral links and the like) - I'm still too thick to be able to whitelist stuff correctly, so I have to stuff about with turning it off and back on etc.

But the 95% of the time its great.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: September 14, 2017, 07:42:26 PM

I use it all the time, it works great.

A lot of places accept Apple Pay but don't have their chip readers active yet too.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #82 on: September 14, 2017, 08:12:52 PM

I use it all the time, it works great.

A lot of places accept Apple Pay but don't have their chip readers active yet too.
I have literally never encountered this. I think the only places here with apple pay are like, whole foods and a couple other supermarket chains

or hell maybe everywhere has it

but everywhere has chip readers also, except, ironically, THE BANK
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: September 14, 2017, 08:37:11 PM

I stop at Panera about once a week to grab a bagel on my way from the parking lot to the office and they accept Apple Pay but not chip cards, as one example.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #84 on: September 14, 2017, 10:05:32 PM

I stop at Panera about once a week to grab a bagel on my way from the parking lot to the office and they accept Apple Pay but not chip cards, as one example.
That is literally the shittiest chain in America. Their bagels, and all their bread products, are complete and utter garbage.

This isn't even a discussion.

Panera. Is. Shit.

Bad, Chimpy.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #85 on: September 14, 2017, 10:08:59 PM

That is literally the shittiest chain in America. Their bagels, and all their bread products, are complete and utter garbage.

Panera. Is. Shit.

Bad, Chimpy.
They have some decent soup. But I can get better bagels at a supermarket. Not even some high end grocery, just Kroger or equivalent.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: September 14, 2017, 10:22:09 PM

The only good bagels in this town are Einstein Brothers' (which I prefer) but their locations are not convenient and the Panera thing is literally a "I didn't get up early enough to eat at home, going to grab a fast/cheap bit of calories on my way into the office" thing.

schild
Administrator

Reply #87 on: September 14, 2017, 10:28:40 PM

The only good bagels in this town are Einstein Brothers' (which I prefer) but their locations are not convenient and the Panera thing is literally a "I didn't get up early enough to eat at home, going to grab a fast/cheap bit of calories on my way into the office" thing.

Wat
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: September 14, 2017, 10:38:31 PM

There is no place that makes bagels that is not a chain (or a grocery store, but all the stores here have crappy bakeries that make even worse bagels than Panera).

Delis are not a thing here.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #89 on: September 15, 2017, 07:29:54 AM

Panera. Is. Shit.

Bad, Chimpy.

Subway has NFC payment but not chip readers.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #90 on: September 15, 2017, 07:32:57 AM

Since we're talking about Apple gadgets, I'd like to register my displeasure at how they've handled their new high efficiency format.

It's cool and all, but maybe don't roll it out as the *default* for one of the most commonly used cameras in the world a week before your own desktop OS even supports it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: September 15, 2017, 09:35:59 AM

Panera. Is. Shit.

Bad, Chimpy.

Subway has NFC payment but not chip readers.

Subway here has both.

But Discover only works as a chip there for some reason, not ApplePay and that is the only card I have on my phone right now so I have to pull the card out of my wallet which takes longer.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #92 on: September 15, 2017, 11:31:27 AM

Whole Foods, Starbucks, cab rides, hell, even my local liquor store takes it. And it's quicker than a chip.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #93 on: September 15, 2017, 11:54:46 AM

It is faster, yes.  Although I use Android Pay.  Same diff.

Probably a bigger benefit is the reduced chance of physically losing the card or having someone obtain your actual CC number.  Not that I know for sure there is any real additional protection if someone grabs the virtual number other than Chase is then PROBABLY not going to reissue my CC at an inconvenient time*.

* All times are inconvenient times.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #94 on: September 15, 2017, 12:15:18 PM

Whole Foods, Starbucks, cab rides, hell, even my local liquor store takes it. And it's quicker than a chip.

All things I don't do. Hey, no wonder I'm not using it.

I have seen it around Target and all the restaurant chains, though. I haven't paid attention at Meijer, Aldi or Kroger. I may give it a shot just to check the 'it's faster' claim.  I'm in the habit of just jamming the card in while still tallying the order. Doesn't cause problems anywhere except JoAnn's.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: September 15, 2017, 02:49:26 PM

I use it at the Meijer gas station. I don't use it in the store because I buy groceries on my debit card because I usually need to get cash.

Best place to use it: the vending machines inside security at an airport if you forget your empty water bottle at home :)

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: September 15, 2017, 11:41:03 PM

I am just arguing with an apple groupy.

He saying iPhone X replaces DSLR cameras, I am saying, only for people buying DLSR as status symbol, else try attaching an a camera objective to an iPhone

People who don't understand photography have been saying that since 2009. You can safely ignore those idiots.
Yeah, I don't know man.  I spent a ton of time trying to learn my DSLR and take quality photos over a few years, lugging that damn thing around with me on trips.  Friend of mine got one of the 7 Plus's with portrait mode, and showed me pictures from a trip he took.  Almost everything looked better than any picture I've ever taken, haha.  I'm sure it cannot handle fun stuff like low light, long exposure, and long zoom obviously.  But if you can take that nice of a photo with your phone, and not have to carry around a giant camera and len's (which cost thousands).....

I may buy an X just for that, and stop bothering with DSLR's, if it does a good enough job.

You don't need to "learn" a DSLR to take quality photo's. 90% of a quality photo is the frame.

Anyway besides attachment the main reason DSLR's are nice is because they have mass; which makes it easier to use.

The biggest thing is probably that its small. If you want to take a photo for the photo you want something that has a bit of mass to it. It makes it easier to hold steady in the position you want it without a tri-pod (and having any attachments)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #97 on: September 16, 2017, 01:44:03 AM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: September 19, 2017, 02:57:04 PM

Man, the Apple Recycling program is pretty great. My mom sent me the $55 gift card they gave her for her iPad2 a couple months ago and they are saying I will get $100 for my base level iPad Mini.

Since they have refurbished 128GB Mini 4s for $329 I think I will do that and use both the gift cards on it.

Still annoyed it is the only Mini option but at least it will be usable unlike my current mini which barely works for Netflix and pretty much not for anything else.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #99 on: September 19, 2017, 04:02:54 PM

The older system that Apple pushes mandatory updates to has become so slow it's unusable, and the credit for junking it (and therefore not selling it used) won't cover the cost of the "refurbished" (read; purchased for gift credit at scrap prices by Apple) item that is the only available option for using up that credit?

Funny how that worked out. Wow, such a deal.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: September 19, 2017, 05:31:13 PM

Fuck off with your Apple hate, Dave. Who else is going to give you 30% of the purchase price of an item you bought almost 5 years ago as trade in value?

Also, refurbished iPads and iPhones from Apple have new batteries and the same warranty as brand new. I just don't want to spend $40 more for brand new.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:34:24 PM by Chimpy »

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: September 19, 2017, 05:54:54 PM

I think I touched a nerve. Don't mind me, I spent half as much for something twice as powerful, but obviously that's just my irrational hatred talking. Maybe the iPad Mini 5 will be great.

Oh, wait....

--Dave
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:56:35 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #102 on: September 19, 2017, 06:40:47 PM

I think I touched a nerve. Don't mind me, I spent half as much for something twice as powerful, but obviously that's just my irrational hatred talking. Maybe the iPad Mini 5 will be great.

Oh, wait....

--Dave
I own android phones but Apple tablets.

Every Android tablet is basically garbage if you want to play games and not be a fucking neckbeard.

Also, despite Apple's walled garden being complete nonsense in 2017, the Android store's total free for all is even worse.

So no, no one will mind you because Android tablets are absolute shit.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #103 on: September 19, 2017, 07:05:08 PM

I admit my anti-Apple bias but also agree with the above sentiment.

I'd buy half a dozen apple tablets before I considered an Android or Windows one. The experience is just that much better.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: September 19, 2017, 07:15:39 PM

I will admit that my preference for Android tablets is predicated on there never having been something I disliked on them that I couldn't fix, where anything I dislike about an Apple tablet is literally "baked in". But my being both willing and able to do so, even when it requires rewriting parts of the OS, is pretty much "neckbeardy" by definition.

My youngest daughter uses iPads. I literally cannot stand to fix anything about them more involved than "turn it off and turn it back on again". On the other hand, they rarely *need* more than that.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff  
Jump to: