Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:58:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War: Warhammer 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer 2  (Read 38388 times)
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 18, 2019, 08:43:29 AM

It´s worth it. As long you have a pc that can run it well enough.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 19, 2019, 10:40:28 PM

I've not really played a Total War game before.  Of the two, should I buy 1 or 2 to try it out?

What about DLC?
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #37 on: October 21, 2019, 06:24:50 AM

Buy 2 first.  If you like it, buy 1 and you can use the WH1 races on the combined map.  There's a ton of FreeLC for both games, and each DLC pack adds a ton of content.  If you don't want to splash for all the DLC, find the races you like playing in the base game and then purchase the DLC that adds extra lords and units for that faction.  Curse of the Vampire Coast, Queen and the Crone, and Prophet & Warlock are all great.  I haven't spent much time with The Hunter & The Beast yet.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 27, 2019, 07:50:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sPbjHEnSDE

Malus Darkblade versus Deathmaster Sniktch.

Some Brettonian mare no-one has ever really heard of is the FLC.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 07:52:34 PM by Meester »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 05, 2020, 04:00:59 AM

Back playing this and they've fixed one of my biggest gripes, the AI turns used to take far too long, they are now much quicker. They seem to have sped up loading times as well.

The big campaign now has over 50 Lords to play as and over 40 starting locations. Over time they've added a tonne of variety to the early and mid game with specific lord and faction mechanics (though admittedly if you play to the bitter end it does get similar).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:26:08 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #40 on: January 05, 2020, 09:55:55 AM

I've been playing this off and on over the Christmas holidays. After the patch/DLC that added Malus Darkblade and Sniktch, the turn times are miniscule in comparison. I haven't noticed a significant drop in load times but yeah the campaign is much smoother now. Also, Sniktch's early game campaign is SIGNIFICANTLY easier than say a Dark Elf commander like Malekith.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #41 on: January 06, 2020, 06:50:27 AM

The new Brettonian campaign is crazy fun, too.  Running around the desert, wrecking Tomb King and Vampire armies is the best time I've had with this game in a long time.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 06, 2020, 11:41:39 AM

I struggle with brettonia as soon as I start having to siege people.

Love the chivalry and peasant mechanics, but having to charge horses through a door into walls of spears is less fun.

I assume they get better later on with flying cav.

Playing vampire pirates at the moment, surprised how different they are from vampire counts. I have a ridiculous pile of gold from low scale raiding and establishing pirate coves, but Tyrion is starting to snowball - I think I need to switch to full invasion mode and break him before he becomes unstoppable.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #43 on: January 06, 2020, 05:07:48 PM

Flying knights rear-charging the wall of spears before your regular horse knights charge through the gates.  Or rear charge the wall while your peasants are dealing with whatever's up there, followed by lining the wall with archers and raining down on everything in front of the gate.  Or you can clear it out with a Lore of Heavens bombardment.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 07, 2020, 07:33:30 PM

I struggle with brettonia as soon as I start having to siege people.

Love the chivalry and peasant mechanics, but having to charge horses through a door into walls of spears is less fun.

I assume they get better later on with flying cav.

Playing vampire pirates at the moment, surprised how different they are from vampire counts. I have a ridiculous pile of gold from low scale raiding and establishing pirate coves, but Tyrion is starting to snowball - I think I need to switch to full invasion mode and break him before he becomes unstoppable.

Try having an army of trebuchets to follow along with your knights.

Otherwise its Royal Pegasus Knights to clean up and ignore the walls
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 09, 2020, 08:30:41 AM

I can certainly see that.

My pirates do a similar thing in that they attack with an artillery army reinforced by a second army of giant crabs.

The artillery turns the walls to rubble and the crabs just stroll in.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 23, 2020, 02:31:50 PM

How much do you need to control the real time battles to enjoy this? I'm mostly keen on the TBS side.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 24, 2020, 12:20:09 AM

Do you mean how much do need to control them at all, or how much can you avoid micro within them?

Tbh there are better games if you want to auto resolve everything.

But if you just mean you want to avoid heavy micro, then just don't play something heavily dependent on cavalry or chariots.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 25, 2020, 05:39:16 PM

How much do you need to control the real time battles to enjoy this? I'm mostly keen on the TBS side.

Not much but you will do better controlling the battles. You can also pause the battles whenever you want in order to not have micro issues. The battles are the main draw of the game and i don't think it would be that great without them.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 27, 2020, 01:48:51 AM

Starting a second skaven campaign with Eshin after a first one with Skrye and I just love how different they've managed to make it.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #50 on: February 10, 2020, 07:05:14 PM

Not much but you will do better controlling the battles. You can also pause the battles whenever you want in order to not have micro issues. The battles are the main draw of the game and i don't think it would be that great without them.
So I stumbled into the solution to my hatred of the battle UI controls in the Total War franchise: play an army that doesn't need to move around much, aka the Dwarfs. Currently playing them in the first one (wanted to play on the original, non-compressed/truncated Old World map) and against the Orcs and Goblins (and one random Beastmen army), at least, I don't really need to move my units around much, if any, and they are so tanky I don't need to pay much attention to what they are doing, keeping the micro down to a minimum. As a bonus they are too slow to chase routing units so I don't even need to bother with that.

As for the original question you can auto-resolve battles if want to avoid that part of the game but just know that you will be taking more losses compared to controlling your armies yourself unless your forces are way stronger than the enemy. Depending the difficulty setting, you might have trouble playing as some of the races / factions with harder starting positions if you aren't doing the battles yourself.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 26, 2020, 06:23:10 AM

I've started on this but run into a problem, not sure what it's with but applying DLC to this (and 1) seems to be a complete crapshoot. I've downloaded them in Steam and they show as in my library, some of the free ones show up in the TW launcher but most don't and clicking on DLC there just takes me to the Steam webpage that links back to Steam. In the game itself it looks like half the free DLCs I have give me a 'click here to access this' (including Mortal Empires) that just sticks me in a looping circle of Steam app> TW launcher > Steam web page > Steam app.

Which is generally fine but not being able to open a Mortal Empires campaign is kind of annoying.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #52 on: April 26, 2020, 10:19:14 AM

Seems to be a common problem given the number of discussions that pop up when you Google this problem. This Steam one seems to explain the differences between “DLC” and “FLC” the best including a comment by the dev at the end on the fact that the system for activating FLC was broken on their end recently.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/594570/discussions/0/1744478429691703407/
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 07, 2020, 07:50:42 AM

New DLC! Greenskin rework, adds them to the vortex campaign. They get Grom the Paunch as a new legendary lord, bunch of new units - including idols of gork (or mork), new Waaaargh mechanic that doesn't sound much better than the old one, and a new research tree that is fuelled by battle scrap to encourage fighting.

Oh, high elves also get 2 more no name lords nobody cares about, and another wizard or something.

https://youtu.be/dQM-h3M4BZc
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:16:16 AM by eldaec »

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #54 on: May 08, 2020, 06:23:09 AM

You're not excited for chariots being pulled by giant lions?  Weirdo.

Honestly, the new High Elf mechanic sounds interesting and very in-line with how I like to play these games.  I'm looking forward to both factions.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 08, 2020, 10:02:35 AM

Tbh chariots are always a hard pass for me in TW.

Even Grom's chariot will likely put be off playing as him.

The shaman orc guy looks like he'll benefit from the new trolls though, and the savage orc dude has always been on my long list to play.

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 08, 2020, 05:18:21 PM

The shaman orc guy looks like he'll benefit from the new trolls though, and the savage orc dude has always been on my long list to play.

Wonder if Wurrzag's Waaagh gets a chance for Rogue Idols.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 10, 2020, 06:36:05 AM

He may well do, Azhag gets Wyverns so why not.

The big deal for Wurzzag is that he gives his army magical danage and strips all magic resistance in the opposing army.

So fuck you dwarfs.

Edit : Also, YouTube types are reporting end turn times have dropped even further.

Edit : end turn times are now so fast I occasionally hesitate over whether I really pressed the end turn button.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 04:08:08 AM by eldaec »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 17, 2020, 12:46:17 AM

Finally got around to playing Tomb Kings. Loving the alternate economy and recruitment system. Units are free and have no upkeep but are capped by the number of barracks buildings. The overall number off armies is limited by a slow research or expensive upgrades.

End result is you can't maintain consistent army comp and have to actively decide how share the best units around your armies.

Also there is less dependence on chariots than I feared.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #59 on: June 17, 2020, 08:22:31 PM

I've been enjoying the new Greenskins update a lot, but might be due for another round with the Tomb Kings.  Their high-tier constructs are so gorgeous.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 18, 2020, 06:26:28 PM

He may well do, Azhag gets Wyverns so why not.

The big deal for Wurzzag is that he gives his army magical danage and strips all magic resistance in the opposing army.

So fuck you dwarfs.

Edit : Also, YouTube types are reporting end turn times have dropped even further.

Edit : end turn times are now so fast I occasionally hesitate over whether I really pressed the end turn button.

Magic damage does not make the damage AP. Armor still protects.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 19, 2020, 02:58:37 AM

While that is correct, the point is dwarfs have 25% natural magic resist.

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 12, 2020, 09:32:56 PM

Next update will be Wood Elves versus [probably Skaven] for those concerned.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 13, 2020, 12:11:44 AM

The taboo being broken is that they have said previously they don't want to do DLC for DLC.

But this is a good plan. Wood elves  have decent but sparse roster locked behind outdated campaign mechanics.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 19, 2020, 10:13:48 AM

New DLC trailer

https://youtu.be/tdu8PEeNxy0

More rats! More wood elves!

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 19, 2020, 06:14:17 PM

Additional info.

Ariel is a LH [legendary hero] like Kroak. Ghoritch is the same for Moulder.

FLC will be Drycha [with Coeddil] and the Skaven Chieftan. Total War Access unit is Glade Captain.

Release is 3rd December. Usual pre-order save.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 06:20:59 PM by Meester »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: November 24, 2020, 11:08:13 AM

They seem to be making a good attempt at turning wood elves into a tall faction which they've never really done before.

Though you tube types with access have been suggesting the campaign is tough.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #67 on: November 24, 2020, 10:29:44 PM

Sure, but they also got what looks like some great new units.  Can't wait for it!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 27, 2020, 05:03:28 AM

Drycha appears to have almost a whole new roster.

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: November 27, 2020, 08:16:14 AM

Ah I will pick it up as well. That new WE campaign looks interesting, but as a rat-man having the moulder lab available is the the true gem in this expansion. Yes-yes!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War: Warhammer 2  
Jump to: