Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:18:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Orville 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 32494 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 18, 2017, 04:50:47 PM

If you continue to watch the action franchise star trek has become,  you're part of the problem with Sci-fi on tv.
Both true, but I think there is a legit chance the next Star Trek series could be good, and a better chance that the premiere of the next Orville franchise series will be the last sign of the apocalypse.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 07:29:39 PM

Stop being grumpy, this is fine.  It's not great and will probably be off the air in a year or two, but it's not worth the vitriol.  It does make me wish Other Space had gotten a second season, though.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 07:47:58 PM

It's just kind of meh. It's not especially funny and it's not especially good. I think he meant to make Galaxy Quest and started taking himself too seriously once he suited up and thought, "I'm Captain Kirk". Result is a pile of indifferent mediocrity.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 09:28:38 PM

I think he wants to make Star Trek and the network knows nobody would take his Trek seriously, so they gave him his series as long as he added his humor to it... and the result is bad off label Star Trek fan fiction with half hearted Seth humor.  The 'science' in this science fiction is the fodder of 2nd grade minds. It is insulting.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 09:32:20 PM

Some people need to get over themselves. 

The first two episodes of The Orville are already better than the first two episodes of most Trek series.  Granted, Trek isn't known for its pilots, but I'd still rather watch this than "The Cage", "Encounter at Farpoint", "Emissary", etc.

Let's look at some Trek history to compare this to.  TNG started with "Encounter at Farpoint", "The Naked Now" and "Code of Honor".  None of those three are good, and "Code of Honor" is, in my opinion, among the five worst Trek episodes of all time across all six series.  And "The Naked Now" isn't too far behind. 

Except for the original series, Star Trek takes time to develop, and I think The Orville is going to meet the same fate.  This is ultimately a workplace dramedy that takes place in space.  It needs to develop its characters and make adjustments over time based upon what they find works and doesn't.  The foundation, however, is perfectly fine.  They need to address the weirdness between the captain and the executive officer, which was an odd creative decision, but other than that I don't see anything that's bad.  This feels like a fun show that could become good with the right writing and character choices.  Much like most Star Trek.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 19, 2017, 12:01:22 AM

I think there is a legit chance the next Star Trek series could be good
awesome, for real

Seriously though, NOTHING I have heard about that new Star Trek series gives me hope it will be anything but medicore and canceled within a season or two.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 19, 2017, 02:49:05 AM

The second episode was pretty much the same as the first with poor jokes like colon scans and a basic scifi trope (people zoo) to act as a vehicle for the captain/ex-wife stuff. I did chuckle at the
 but otherwise... meh
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #42 on: September 19, 2017, 03:15:51 AM

After the episode, the preview for the next episode said that Fox moved the show to Thursday nights. And thus the scheduling fuckery begins.

This was never going to be a Sunday show at an hour long. Fox's lineup here has been set for years with half hour, easily bumped shows due to football. They were using the prime after-football /The Simpsons slot to generate interest. When their Fall schedule was released this was slotted for Thursdays.

Next week begins the regular Fall lineup for most channels.  Simpsons, Family Guy, a few episodes of that new Ghost-based comedy and then Bob's, and Last Man on Earth are back. 

http://m.eonline.com/news/850043/fox-fall-2017-tv-schedule-a-few-shows-are-on-the-move-and-new-girl-is-mia

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 19, 2017, 06:15:57 AM

awesome, for real

Seriously though, NOTHING I have heard about that new Star Trek series gives me hope it will be anything but medicore and canceled within a season or two.

Indeed, all the red lights are flashing and the gauges are pointing to meltdown.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 19, 2017, 07:18:35 AM

awesome, for real

I meant the next after Duscovery...

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 19, 2017, 12:11:13 PM

As for the Orville I'm willing to stick with it and see if they can find their feet.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #46 on: September 19, 2017, 12:26:04 PM

Yeah, It's not been as bad as the first trailer made it. It's been cringey but that seems to sell to Fox's audience. Last Man on Earth and Bob's Burgers are both super-cringey yet they're popular for Fox.  I hated Bob's the first few episodes then I got into it as the characters developed.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 20, 2017, 02:05:16 PM

I watched this and was a little surprised. It had the expected cringe inducing humor but I expected Scary Movie 6. What I got was closer to Galaxy Quest. I am not saying this is as good as Galaxy Quest but rather it seemed to be sci-fi with bad humor thrown in as opposed to a bad humor show with some sci-fi window dressing.

I'll keep watching to see where it goes from here but I'll be shocked if it gets a season 2.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 21, 2017, 07:48:11 PM

Wow, tonight's episode really hit the ball out of the park.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #49 on: September 21, 2017, 09:09:38 PM

Yeah, this episode was actually amazing.  I felt like I was watching Star Trek.  And good Star Trek at that.  A lot of the comedy was actually good, too, and was needed to break up the tension.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 22, 2017, 06:07:35 AM

Definitely need to catch up on this, I'm really happy to hear it's more Trek than it is Family Guy.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #51 on: September 22, 2017, 06:50:30 AM

It might help ease some of the MacFarlane tension if folks remember that he's the reason we got the modern series of Cosmos.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #52 on: September 22, 2017, 07:03:54 AM

A few parts of the episode were ham-fisted, but it was nice seeing a real Star Trek level plot being used. Especially funny when I am suspecting that all the new show is going to give us is lots of pew pew and explosions.

Also, the humor worked better in this one. More subtle where it needed to be subtle.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 22, 2017, 04:19:26 PM

I liked it too. Definitely good story quality and the humor was subtler. The main plot was well written and the ending

The only weird thing about the show is that their ship gets all sorts of messed up and the next episode everything is fine again. I know Star Trek did the same thing, but it would be nice if the ship had some battle scars or the crew acknowledged that certain things aren't working at 100% all the time. Just a minor gripe, though.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 23, 2017, 10:06:14 AM

A few parts of the episode were ham-fisted, but it was nice seeing a real Star Trek level plot being used.
Based on memory, I would have to say most of Star Trek: TNG was completely ham-fisted. As a whole body of work, I would personally estimate less than 5 percent of all Star Trek content could be considered as good and well produced.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #55 on: September 23, 2017, 10:13:43 AM

Having watched literally the entire Star Trek oeuvre a couple of summers ago, I would have to say that the proportions are probably closer to 15-20% (as in, 1 out of every 5 or 6 episodes are actually good and memorable in themselves). But there's a lot of filler in there, any way you slice it.

FWIW, I think DS9 holds up the best. Orville has potential, but there's obviously a bit of indecision over how much of Macfarlane's ad lib snark to include.

-Dave

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #56 on: September 23, 2017, 11:30:45 PM

DS9 absolutely holds up the best because it had the right combination of humor and grimdark. "You can't even trust the Federation because they've got a dirty tricks division, but hey, here's Sisko playing the scenery-chewing villain in a holodeck Bond homage gone awry" It just worked.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 24, 2017, 02:08:01 AM

DS9 also didn't use the Borg or Q as a crutch for ratings. They got shit done, they delved deep into their characters, and they owned it.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 25, 2017, 01:19:09 AM

Well, it WAS a copy of Babylon 5 with a Star Trek paint job after all! Rimshot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: September 25, 2017, 11:21:49 AM

DON@T SAY THAT THERE ARE 7)*)*_)(*&(6907908 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THEM!!!

Actually a friend of mine who knew people in Paramount said they pulled the Jem Hidar out of their ass in response to the Shadows, then they paniced and let them sit there for a year and a half as they had no idea what to do with them.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: September 29, 2017, 07:05:09 PM

I'm enjoying this.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: September 29, 2017, 07:37:21 PM

Its decent/good Star Trek with some reallly realllyy stupid jokes.

Good enough for me.

Not sure about the Gelatin guy, though.  awesome, for realACK!

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: September 29, 2017, 07:50:00 PM

It's Norm McDonald. Nephit is awesome.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #63 on: September 29, 2017, 08:22:53 PM

The most recent episode is an excellent riff on a Star Trek TOS episode named For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky.  The Orville, continuing to be good, does it better though.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: September 30, 2017, 04:58:56 AM

Just caught up and im really liking this.  Tng/dsn9 was my era and i really wish trek had tried different stuff in their universe like this instead of voyager and the one with scott  Blackula.  Sometimes the humor veers too crass but sometimes its just really charming and witty which lightens what would normallly be hamfisted trek drama.  The music is so-so, seems like its a bit too epic in tone for what the show is.  Praying to god they can hold onto a decemt budget

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 30, 2017, 08:37:43 AM

Almost all of the music riffs on Star Trek, especially TMP, except for one bit of music taken from Empire Strikes Back.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 30, 2017, 05:59:36 PM

and the one with scott  Blackula. 

Scott Bakula. Blackula is .. uh... different.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 30, 2017, 08:37:19 PM

Almost all of the music riffs on Star Trek, especially TMP, except for one bit of music taken from Empire Strikes Back.

Yes. It's technically genre accurate but a bit tonally off for this specific show if that makes sense.

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: September 30, 2017, 09:47:51 PM

Yes. It's technically genre accurate but a bit tonally off for this specific show if that makes sense.

Not really.  I appreciate it as another layer of humor/homage.  It never bothers me. 
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #69 on: October 03, 2017, 06:15:15 AM

I'm with Bob, I like the overblown music.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Orville  
Jump to: