Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:03:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Orville 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 32457 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #70 on: October 03, 2017, 12:11:19 PM

Catching EP 3 & 4 on streaming today at the office.  Props to the guys who play Bortis and his mate. They're doing wonders as playing something completely alien but showing consistent cultural quirks. The way they both emote to convey emotions are the same between the two of them. It's fantastic, not your typical "Human in a rubber outfit" like the security chief or most Trek aliens.

I'm also enjoying some of the old Trek tropes like the music and some of the shots/ mannerisms the cast is adopting.  Seth channeled Patrick Stuart with the dismissal of Bortis and the stare-after before looking at his tea in ep3.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: October 03, 2017, 04:23:06 PM

This show is very much an homage done right.  It's obvious to true fans what they are "borrowing"  but they do the stories justice in a way that respects the original treks and doesn't mock them.  This show is kinda like the bastard of TnG and Farscape.  Also they get a lot of credit for the way they ended ep3, that was not the safe choice but made more sense and can have meaningful reprecusions in the future.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: October 03, 2017, 10:07:24 PM

Seriously, episode 3 basically out-trekked Trek, and I hope that the people who own it paid some attention.  I was ready to write this off after the trailer, and I'm honestly glad I didn't.  I nearly teared up at the end of that episode.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 06, 2017, 09:50:28 AM

Watching Episode 5 right now and I just noticed that Alara is the opposite of Worf in regard to opening doors and that gave me a good chuckle.

And I really hope they run "open this jar of pickles for me" into the ground and then some.

I also just recognized the .jar pun.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #74 on: October 06, 2017, 11:28:11 AM

Yeah, that's the third time they've used that phrase, I think.  I like it.

The fifth episode was directed by Jonathan Frakes and the show remains fun.  He always did well when directing TNG episodes; not so much with the movies, sadly.  The balance between comedy and drama was basically perfect and there were some great character moments.  It wasn't as good as the third or fourth episode, but still very good.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 06, 2017, 11:57:15 AM

I'm starting to like this more and more as they do nice single-episode stories with classic scifi elements and the characters are more or less likable (even the comedy seems to be growing on me)  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: October 07, 2017, 04:21:56 AM

My wife and mother in law are hard core serious business trek fans and even they are enjoying this show quite a bit.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #77 on: October 10, 2017, 04:36:40 AM

Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's occupant makes the rescue imperative.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 11, 2017, 10:45:42 AM

My wife and mother in law are hard core serious business trek fans and even they are enjoying this show quite a bit.

As am I. If you want Trek on TV, the Orville is really your only option. That other show that carries the name isn't Trek. At all. It's just some weird sci-fi show that has the Trek label and a few visual similarities.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #79 on: October 12, 2017, 01:49:59 PM

This is the best Trek tv in years. It's parody/homage that can't seem to decide which it is, and that's for the best.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #80 on: October 13, 2017, 07:22:54 AM

I have to believe that Avis is a show sponsor after last night's episode. Best product placement use ever.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: October 14, 2017, 03:18:32 PM

"Well the humans praise a different god named Hertz, who's fiercly competitive."

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 14, 2017, 03:46:31 PM

Isn't he resisted by the god Ohm?

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #83 on: October 15, 2017, 05:36:31 PM

Fuckkkkkk this show is good.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 27, 2017, 04:26:26 PM

13 minutes into the newest episode and wow, they don't do subtle on this show.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: October 27, 2017, 08:06:34 PM

Man Reddit fucking sucks.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: November 03, 2017, 02:00:48 PM

Could you please be more specific on the whole Reddit sucks thing?

I caught part of the episode with the red aliens and the zoo, it didn't look awful.  I would be willing to give the show a try, in any case.
schild
Administrator

Reply #87 on: November 03, 2017, 02:13:57 PM

This show is great

Last week's episode was literally Reddit as society and the whole show showed how much Reddit sucked ass
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #88 on: November 03, 2017, 03:01:08 PM

I caught part of the episode with the red aliens and the zoo, it didn't look awful.  I would be willing to give the show a try, in any case.

Keep watching; that's the second episode.  The first two episodes are fine, but once you hit About a Girl it turns amazing.  This is the only show I watch week to week, and last night's didn't disappoint either.

Also, it just got renewed for a second season.   Heart

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: November 04, 2017, 11:11:35 AM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #90 on: November 05, 2017, 09:12:49 PM

This is basically my favorite new show on television.

And I didn't like Star Trek at all.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: November 11, 2017, 09:43:13 PM

Heart   Heart awesome, for real

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #92 on: November 13, 2017, 06:00:49 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #93 on: November 13, 2017, 06:04:57 AM

The Orville just did the Palestine/Israel conflict better than anything Star Trek ever did.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #94 on: November 13, 2017, 06:07:31 AM

It feels hacky at times but it's still so entertaining and good. Very weird.

Also; a hell of an effects budget for a Fox show. I'm surprised at the number of and quality of alien designs. Too bad it often underscores how weak the design for the security girl is.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: November 13, 2017, 06:27:28 AM

Bajorans....

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: November 13, 2017, 07:12:45 AM

Can't wait to get it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #97 on: November 13, 2017, 08:31:03 AM

Bajorans....

sucked.

Vulcans I give a pass only because it was the 60's and space-elves were a new-enough concept and easy for limited budget and prop techniques. Bajorans are forever a failure.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: November 13, 2017, 12:08:26 PM

Bajorans are forever a failure.

Found the Cardassian.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: November 13, 2017, 05:11:42 PM

They've proven they can do aliens with members of the crew as well as villains. I think it's fitting to have one "minimum effort" alien race like every other trek.  See also:Trill

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #100 on: November 16, 2017, 06:12:49 PM

OMG Robert Picardo and Erin Grey.. Hah.

"Oh yes, the humans. The Hillbillies of the galaxy."

Ed: Also the X-files and Aliens music cues were an awesome touch. Heard the X-files when out of the room and was like "what?"
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:55:41 PM by Merusk »

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #101 on: November 17, 2017, 06:46:04 AM

Not even the giant spider monster bothered me much, but the hairy one dropping on to Gordon's face? Oh fuck no! I did the full on arm flailing thing on my couch.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: November 21, 2017, 01:27:12 PM

It feels hacky at times but it's still so entertaining and good. Very weird.

Also; a hell of an effects budget for a Fox show. I'm surprised at the number of and quality of alien designs. Too bad it often underscores how weak the design for the security girl is.

Ironically she may be my favorite character on the show despite her makeup being fairly bland. Still, I'll trade bland makeup for getting her eyebrows back after the pilot.

Also, am I the only one that felt cheated we didn't get to see Bortis do his karaoke moment? I was sort of holding out hope it turned out he had an amazing singing voice. Or that he was utterly awful. I'd have been fine either way. Regardless, the character is amazing as the straight man for all the comedy. Somehow he manages to do awesome reaction shots despite all the makeup.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #103 on: March 21, 2018, 11:52:18 AM

Vulcans I give a pass only because it was the 60's and space-elves were a new-enough concept and easy for limited budget and prop techniques. Bajorans are forever a failure.

Interesting fact I picked up or dreamed years ago: Roddenberry planned for Vulcans to have red skin but most people did not have color TVs and he would have just looked... well, it was the 1960's.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #104 on: August 12, 2022, 09:58:45 PM

Season 3 is a masterpiece.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Orville  
Jump to: