Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Orville 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 32420 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

on: May 16, 2017, 05:58:19 AM

McFarlane continues to prove he's got something on some big exec at Fox, or that Fox is too creatively bankrupt to find someone else to make shows for them. You decide.

Anyway, his next project: The Orville, a Star Trek spoof, is set to come out this fall. Trailer was released yesterday and it looks OK. It's live action and stars McFarlane himself, so I don't expect it to last too terribly long; particularly since it's sci-fi and Fox.

Here's the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 06:58:15 AM

McFarlane continues to prove he's got something on some big exec at Fox, or that Fox is too creatively bankrupt to find someone else to make shows for them. You decide.

Anyway, his next project: The Orville, a Star Trek spoof, is set to come out this fall. Trailer was released yesterday and it looks OK. It's live action and stars McFarlane himself, so I don't expect it to last too terribly long; particularly since it's sci-fi and Fox.

Here's the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

Holy crap what kind of blackmail does McFarlane have over the big wigs. How this got the green light let alone what apparently is a pretty decent budget to make this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 07:30:02 AM

What in the fuck did I just watch? I can see greenlighting the script for a pilot but once it was filmed... who thought this worked? Like at all?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 07:42:02 AM

What in the fuck did I just watch? I can see greenlighting the script for a pilot but once it was filmed... who thought this worked? Like at all?

It's about the same quality of comedy as everything else on Fox, so it works for that channel. It's certainly not worse than Making History which while brilliant at times also has huge amounts of, "oh my god this is awful." (Interlaced between the rah-rah-conservative values propaganda laced throughout.) 

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 12:20:13 PM

No, no, no... it is Star Trek meets Family Guy?  HOW COULD IT GO WRONG?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 12:26:39 PM

Wow. That was awful.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 01:48:18 PM

So I'm the only one living in crazy town? I kinda thought it looked fun.  Also, Norm Mcdonald is playing a slime, so there's that.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 02:07:18 PM

I thought it was funny too. But this is F13. Naturally, the monocle wearing cognoscenti disapprove.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 02:15:48 PM

Dunno, it takes a lot for me to not like something. I just didn't enjoy this one, and I like Seth.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 02:47:12 PM

So I'm the only one living in crazy town? I kinda thought it looked fun.  Also, Norm Mcdonald is playing a slime, so there's that.

It got a few chuckles, not enough to be worth the ridiculous budget that must have though.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 03:58:21 PM

i don't see the problem here

it's literally just galaxy quest

did someone ever mutter the phrase "we want less galaxy quest?"

and Seth is infinitely more funny than Tim Allen
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 04:45:03 PM

I'm ambivalent on it as should have been apparent. It will depend on the long term as I thought Bobs and Last man were going to suck too, but they've delivered.  It's enough to get a few views but I also like low brow.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 06:06:12 PM

I like low brow. I like Seth as a voiceover guy. But when he acts in live action, I just can't stand him. Everything feels flat and awkward and forced.

Also, yes it's just Galaxy Quest, but I'd actually rather have Galaxy Quest with Tim Allen.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 08:36:37 PM

I really like the idea of this.  I just wish it was on a better channel because I don't see it getting the treatment it needs on Fox.  I can't remember the last show I regularly watched on network TV.  If this were on FX I'd be really excited.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 06:35:40 AM

i don't see the problem here

it's literally just galaxy quest

did someone ever mutter the phrase "we want less galaxy quest?"

and Seth is infinitely more funny than Tim Allen

Galaxy quest also had Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell, Tony Shalhoub, Sigourney Weaver, Justin Long and Missi Pyle.  Not to mention it was infinitely funnier than the best joke on that trailer.  Galaxy Quest was like Ghostbusters, if you think stealing the plot and setting is going to make your attempt funny you completely missed what made it good.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 08:59:29 AM

Yes, Galaxy Quest had a better supporting cast.

I have no clue how this will turn out.

But it is Galaxy Quest, as I was saying.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 09:27:27 AM

The look and feel of the show is more reminiscent of middle-season SG1 for me.  Seth is playing the O'Neill character who doesn't take serious stuff seriously.  The Teal'c is obvious in the trailer.  Odds are the not-Vulcan will be the Carter.  Then everything else is Galaxy Quest.  I'd be surprised if Norm MacDonald is in the series for more than a handful of scenes. 

The humor may not work, but it's possible for the setting or characters to work despite not being funny, like later seasons of Big Bang Theory.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 10:02:17 AM

I'll watch it, but I don't have high hopes for a second season. Unless Seth actually does have some big blackmail shit on the execs  awesome, for real

I'm not getting the SG-1 vibe though. SG-1 was "serious shit"; O'Neil added humor, sure, but he took this shit serious too. This just seems like Family Guy INNNNNN SPAAAAAAACE with live action.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 11:52:45 AM

There have been many good sci-fi comedies both before and since Galaxy Quest.  This does not look like one of them.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 12:17:11 PM

Widely split opinions on this?  Sounds like another Seth MacFarlane show.  I'll give it a shot, personally.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 03:26:47 PM

I'm with Schild on this one (bit of a shock to me too) ;  If it's like Galaxy Quest, I'm all for it.  Trouble with that is that Seth has certain go to gags - didn't take him long in the trailer to go straight to 'old west hicks'.  Sure, that was in TOS Star Trek too, but still....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 03:48:28 PM

He is just such a horrible actor... *sigh*

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 03:50:29 AM

http://trekmovie.com/2017/05/22/seth-macfarlane-the-orville-will-be-more-star-trek-than-futurama/

Seth MacFarlane: ‘The Orville’ Will Be More ‘Star Trek’ Than ‘Futurama’

Speaking to Inside Edition, MacFarlane said, “It’s not Family Guy in space.” And he was more specific with AP, saying,

It probably has more in common with Star Trek than Futurama. It is an hour-long show so we have to tell a story…The show is being promoted leaning on the comedy – and we like the promo a lot – but I think people will be surprised that we are digging a little deeper. We are servicing the science fiction aspect as well.

And he told Access Hollywood:

I think it is going to surprise people that we do do our heavy lifting – or least we try to – with the actual work of writing thoughtful science fiction. It’s not really as much Galaxy Quest as it’s being billed as. We’re digging a little deeper.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 11:44:10 PM

So they tried to cut the trailer funny, or he's already trying to rescue his show?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 09:51:00 AM

I'm guessing both.

If it's actually serious Sci-fi that would hold up against Star Trek (not hard these days as I'd rather watch The Orville than that new shitty looking Trek show), they wouldn't have had to make the show look like Galaxy Quest. And if it's less Galaxy Quest and more Star Trek only with Seth McFarlane as the unlikable lead that I'd rather punch than root for... yeah, no thanks to that.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 10:15:18 AM

I have a feeling like he sees the series as "The Office" in space. 

However, it will probably come off more like a poor attempt at Red Dwarf. 

I think there is room for a Star Trek type show that shows the frustrations of daily life in a less idealic fashion than the sanitized world of Star Trek - and to even present it as a dromedy - but the closest he has come to handling drama well was a tug at the heartstrings when a Teddy Bear was ripped in half.  That effort flamed out in the sequel showing he couldn't sustain the mediocre drama he'd created there. 

I think he has an interesting idea that has not been attempted well (with the exception of a bit of Babylon 5). The best way for him to service it would have been to keep the EP tag, hand it off to someone that has shown promise with a heartfelt comedy and then watched it blossom.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 04:23:22 AM

Wow. Best first episode of a new Star Trek series I have ever seen. I highly recommend giving this a try.

It is funnier that Star Trek, but not in a bad way. Characters are still believable, likeable even. The first episode was fun.

I read that the "critical reception" was pretty bad, but I found it entertaining. I don't care much for MacFarlane but this is no 1.000.000 ways to die IN SPAAAAACE. Yet. I am casually optimistic.

edit: Added a few zeros.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:39:27 AM by Der Helm »

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 04:29:13 AM

I thought it was ok though stuff like mistakenly trying to eat a marble was pretty meh.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 04:38:55 AM

I thought it was ok though stuff like mistakenly trying to eat a marble was pretty meh.
Yeah, there are a few "jokes" that deserved to be cut, I really hope that they find their footing in that regard.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 06:30:23 AM

It will be interesting to see if Orville out treks Discovery.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 18, 2017, 10:34:46 AM

I watched the first two episodes. He is pretty much playing it straight. This is a sci-fi show with a few jokes, not a comedy.

The jokes mostly fall flat and the interplay between the captain and the first officer gets annoying very quickly. The camaraderie between the navigator and the pilot is great and the big alien second officer whose species is all male was pretty cool.

There is a big continuity error in the first episode where they are running back to their shuttle while being chased by aliens and the alien ships that literally just landed are gone and then reappear once they takeoff from the planet. The solution at the end to defeat the aliens and get rid of the macguffin was inventive.

The second episode has a conversation between the captain and his "parents" that is one of the cringiest things I have seen on television. I almost turned it off. The rest of the episode was interesting. The solution at the end was amusing.

After the episode, the preview for the next episode said that Fox moved the show to Thursday nights. And thus the scheduling fuckery begins.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #31 on: September 18, 2017, 10:37:17 AM

At least it's not Friday nights (yet).
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 18, 2017, 12:12:30 PM

If you continue to watch this show, you're part of the problem with Sci-fi on tv.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 18, 2017, 01:55:02 PM

I was actually moderatly surprised that this is much more of a workmans like star trek with some humor than full blown comedy. Their effects budget seems really good. It is a bit uneven pacing wise but possibly something that will just take them some episodes to get into the swing of it.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 18, 2017, 03:35:16 PM

If you continue to watch the action franchise star trek has become,  you're part of the problem with Sci-fi on tv.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Orville  
Jump to: