Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail  (Read 124780 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: April 23, 2017, 10:09:30 AM

But they're *disrupting* the juice market. Don't you understand how disruption works?

Yeah, neither does Silicon Valley.

--Dave
Isn't it a buzzword for "Sneak up and take over the market so we can be the new kings?"

It's new millennium, we need new words for old ideas like "Let's knock off the king of that market segment and take over the role ourselves!". Without the buzzwords, people might ask uncomfortable questions like "How" before giving you money.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #71 on: April 23, 2017, 11:43:47 AM

Fucking whole foods has 10 brands of fresh-pressed juice here.

And they are all fucking awful. My wife continues to try out those shitty juices in the hopes that one of them does not taste like licking the lawn. No winners so far.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #72 on: April 23, 2017, 01:26:32 PM

But they're *disrupting* the juice market. Don't you understand how disruption works?

--Dave
Isn't it a buzzword for "Sneak up and take over the market so we can be the new kings?"

It's new millennium, we need new words for old ideas like "Let's knock off the king of that market segment and take over the role ourselves!". Without the buzzwords, people might ask uncomfortable questions like "How" before giving you money.
What was the old word for that?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #73 on: April 23, 2017, 03:15:32 PM

Fucking whole foods has 10 brands of fresh-pressed juice here.

And they are all fucking awful. My wife continues to try out those shitty juices in the hopes that one of them does not taste like licking the lawn. No winners so far.

It's like my Dad said about fish oil supplements: "I'd rather just eat the fish."

As a bachelor I drank those shitty juices, expecting them to do me good. I kept getting sick. Nowadays my wife insists we eat the fruits and vegetables typically listed on the juice labels. I grumble a bit and eat junk food when she's away, but I don't get sick.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 23, 2017, 06:22:48 PM

--Dave

What was the old word for that?
"Business goals".
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #75 on: April 24, 2017, 08:13:10 AM

Just about every IoT device is some shit trying to find a problem to solve.
And then there's me, who buys as many point-to-point wired appliances as possible. Not because I'm some techphobe, but because I'd rather pop the chassis and solder a connection or replace a capacitor than have to buy a $400 circuit board for a $450 washing machine. Although it's almost impossible to find a decent non-IC-based appliance now  Get off my lawn!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #76 on: April 24, 2017, 09:26:19 AM

Just about every IoT device is some shit trying to find a problem to solve.
And then there's me, who buys as many point-to-point wired appliances as possible. Not because I'm some techphobe, but because I'd rather pop the chassis and solder a connection or replace a capacitor than have to buy a $400 circuit board for a $450 washing machine. Although it's almost impossible to find a decent non-IC-based appliance now  Get off my lawn!

No shit man... how those boards are still more than the cost of a new appliance is pretty telling on how they want you to behave. Going to be a point where replacement > fixing in just about everything.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 24, 2017, 10:03:10 AM

This is going to be a seriously annoying part of the postapocalypse, by the way.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 24, 2017, 11:25:39 AM

Well, when the company that installed the lighting system was bought out and the new company didn't support the old company's gear, and the new stuff we bought from 3M last year was immediately made end-of-life when Bibliotheca bought out 3M....I'm about fuck technology anyway.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #79 on: April 24, 2017, 11:48:15 AM

This is going to be a seriously annoying part of the postapocalypse, by the way.

Why do you think everyone in Fallout REALLY uses pre-'70's tech? Now you know.

Well, when the company that installed the lighting system was bought out and the new company didn't support the old company's gear, and the new stuff we bought from 3M last year was immediately made end-of-life when Bibliotheca bought out 3M....I'm about fuck technology anyway.

That's what keeps me from ever considering a smart device on my home.  The central hub and Smart Lock debacles I've read about are enough that I'm good with keeping on the "primitive" devices for a good long while.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 24, 2017, 12:17:43 PM

My microwave and Washing machine have these turn switches rather than a Programmable keybloard. Its funny the way that people who understand tech kinda are suspicious of this stuff.

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #81 on: April 24, 2017, 12:30:26 PM

To be clear, it's not the tech I don't trust. It's corporate practices, enforced obsolescence, a lack of right to repair, and drop of all support and parts availability should a company go under/ be bought out.

You simply don't have those problems in mechanical devices, or things with standardized or non-DMCA'd parts.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #82 on: April 24, 2017, 03:22:09 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #83 on: April 25, 2017, 07:22:40 AM

I'm really into how schild no longer uses the Shift key.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #84 on: April 25, 2017, 08:06:19 AM

He's living in a post-capitalist utopia.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #85 on: April 25, 2017, 08:33:27 AM

Amazing.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #86 on: April 25, 2017, 04:07:59 PM

Awesome. Thanks. I keep staring at the final image of the broken down machine parts.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #87 on: April 26, 2017, 05:56:01 AM

This is what you get when a guy who has a ten thousand dollar bicycle wonders why his kitchen equipment isn't made the same way. I like analogue cameras so I'm definitely a sucker for beautifully engineered shit but this is ridiculous overkill. The engineering in this case is compensating for a fundamental design flaw, not working in support of the thing's function.

schild
Administrator

Reply #88 on: April 26, 2017, 09:11:08 AM

He's living in a post-capitalist utopia.
I generally only skip the shift key when I'm doing 10 other things at once but want to respond. Weirdly when I post from mobile, I try to use the shift key. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 26, 2017, 10:16:38 AM

The more I read about this thing, the more I think that the internet connection is a good, and even necessary feature.

Consider: The company is bagging up crushed organic produce with no pasteurization or preservatives and mailing them around the country. Each one of these bags is potentially a ticking timebomb of Listeria, Salmonella and E. Coli. I'd honestly be nervous about the eight day limit, and would love the capability to shut down the use of an entire product run at the first hint of a contaminated product.

Apparently some of the investors thought the machine would actually be fed whole (if pre-packaged) produce, which would be a completely different thing. As it is, the fact that the ingredients are pre-pulped kinda removes pretty much all of the perceived health-nut value of the whole thing...
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 26, 2017, 11:37:05 AM

The more I read about this thing, the more I think that the internet connection is a good, and even necessary feature.

Consider: The company is bagging up crushed organic produce with no pasteurization or preservatives and mailing them around the country. Each one of these bags is potentially a ticking timebomb of Listeria, Salmonella and E. Coli. I'd honestly be nervous about the eight day limit, and would love the capability to shut down the use of an entire product run at the first hint of a contaminated product.

Apparently some of the investors thought the machine would actually be fed whole (if pre-packaged) produce, which would be a completely different thing. As it is, the fact that the ingredients are pre-pulped kinda removes pretty much all of the perceived health-nut value of the whole thing...

I think if they just made a robot that crushes fruit you buy a the grocery store it would have worked better.  Bonus if it can sweep like a roomba thing

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #91 on: April 26, 2017, 12:14:11 PM

Apparently some of the investors thought the machine would actually be fed whole (if pre-packaged) produce, which would be a completely different thing.
Yeah and those aren't cheap. But that also defeats the whole "razor blade" model of how they would make their money so I'm not sure why any investors would think people would be able to use their own ingredients in that thing.

As it is, the fact that the ingredients are pre-pulped kinda removes pretty much all of the perceived health-nut value of the whole thing...
I don't think so. Assuming they do a good job of cutting and grinding the ingredients the end product is the same as what a "self-contained" cold-press juicer can produce.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #92 on: April 26, 2017, 12:19:02 PM

I think if they just made a robot that crushes fruit you buy a the grocery store it would have worked better.  Bonus if it can sweep like a roomba thing
That's an extremely crowded space (e.g. go to Amazon.com and search for "juicer"). The total market size is large for these appliances (~2 billion in the US) but it's unlikely anybody is making much money given the competition and things would be especially difficult for Juicero at their price point (the most popular juicers are <$200).

It does make more business sense, on paper, to go with the coffee pod model, but unfortunately for Juicero they somehow ended up with an end product that's more expensive than you can buy in stores.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: April 26, 2017, 01:02:29 PM

As it is, the fact that the ingredients are pre-pulped kinda removes pretty much all of the perceived health-nut value of the whole thing...
I don't think so. Assuming they do a good job of cutting and grinding the ingredients the end product is the same as what a "self-contained" cold-press juicer can produce.

What I was going for was more recognition that whole veggies in the produce section are usually still alive. They have an active metabolism that is to some degree combating bacteria and decay. They can safely be stored for days at home, although you should still wash them before use. But once you crush and pulp them they start on that inevitable process of putrification, unless they are artificially guarded from it. These things are apparently air-sealed, but that's about it. If there is any contaminate inside it's game over in a lot less than eight days.

You're right though, "health-nut" is certainly the wrong word to describe someone concerned about actual food safety...
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #94 on: April 26, 2017, 04:40:57 PM

I am still not over the decadence of that thing.

Apparently"juice subscriptions" _start_ at $35 per week.

If you are a two person household that are 280 Dollar per month for juice.

Edit: Haha

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:56:52 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #95 on: April 26, 2017, 07:14:22 PM

The going rate for fresh squeezed juice in Silicon Valley appears to be $10 for a 16 ounce glass.  Silicon Valley (and the bay area in general) is economically deranged.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #96 on: April 26, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

I am still not over the decadence of that thing.

Apparently"juice subscriptions" _start_ at $35 per week.

If you are a two person household that are 280 Dollar per month for juice.

Fruit-as-a-service.

Or you can just buy fruit.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 27, 2017, 07:32:22 AM

I hear it grows on trees.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #98 on: April 27, 2017, 08:18:51 AM

Why restrict judgement on SV to mere economics?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: April 28, 2017, 05:24:28 AM

I just love the "you can make at home" thing. That's like saying that if I buy a bucket of KFC and put the gravy on the mashed potatoes myself I made it at home.

"I opened the carton of milk myself! I made the milk at home!"

and so on.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: April 28, 2017, 07:52:44 AM

I just love the "you can make at home" thing. That's like saying that if I buy a bucket of KFC and put the gravy on the mashed potatoes myself I made it at home.

"I opened the carton of milk myself! I made the milk at home!"

and so on.

I took a marketing class many years ago, and there was a case study about Pancake mix.  When they first rolled out the pancake mix it was a "just add water and mix."  This didn't sell very well, and the market research results were that "housewives were not feeling fulfilled because it was too easy."  The solution was to offer an alternative that tasted the same but required the consumer to add an egg and measure a cup of oil.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #101 on: April 28, 2017, 08:33:51 AM

Stupid fifties housewives.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #102 on: April 28, 2017, 12:47:46 PM

Isn't 'pancake mix' that you need to add an egg and water to, just flour?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #103 on: April 28, 2017, 12:52:30 PM

No. You also need baking powder, salt, sugar, butter, and milk.

Also, it was General Mills Cake Mix that did this, not pancake mix.
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/cakemix.asp

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #104 on: May 06, 2017, 10:36:26 AM

Guess what this is:

http://www.mysmalt.com
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:44:49 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail  
Jump to: