Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Shadows of Mordor 2 : Mor War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shadows of Mordor 2 : Mor War  (Read 6399 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

on: March 01, 2017, 10:36:16 AM

Well officially 'Shadow of War'

There's a shitty trailer out, gameplay coming on March 8th? I read a description that said open-world, enhancing the nemesis system and being able to capture a castle or something. Sounds good to me. Cautiously optimistic.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:33:25 AM

Loved the shit out of this game but once I beat it I didn't care anymore. Oddly the same thing happened with X-Com 2 and then Fallout 4 (played that for hours at a time until I decided to finish the main story and now; nothing.) 

It seems these days the only games I continue playing are the ones I don't beat or Civs.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:47:07 PM

Loved the shit out of this game but once I beat it I didn't care anymore. Oddly the same thing happened with X-Com 2 and then Fallout 4 (played that for hours at a time until I decided to finish the main story and now; nothing.) 

It seems these days the only games I continue playing are the ones I don't beat or Civs.

Well I mean... that's sorta how it should be.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 08:04:24 PM

It when you have DLC sitting there unplayed.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 12:09:06 PM

Shadows of Mordor was definitely one of the best "Welp I'm done, time to uninstall" games I've ever played. I enjoyed every second of it, then moved on before it got stale.

So that said, if SoM II just rehashes the same old gameplay in a slightly different setting -- I'll probably still buy it. I'm a sucker that way...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 12:16:30 PM

If they just improve upon and expand the mechanics of the first game, it will be awesome.  Not sure at all how this works plot wise, but in the words of Plato, "who gives a fuck."

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 02:33:57 PM

If they just improve upon and expand the mechanics of the first game, it will be awesome.  Not sure at all how this works plot wise, but in the words of Plato, "who gives a fuck."

Considering the plot has you "forging a new ring of power" it looks like we're getting in to some seriously goofy shit.  Which fits the game pretty well, IMO, given how the first one leaned on the whole "how much better are we than the enemy" theme.

Given how much fun the first one was, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.  Honestly kind of surprised nobody else has tried anything like the Nemesis system, as far as I know.  I guess the lure of scripted cinematics is too strong for most mortal devs to ignore.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 02:55:21 PM

Digital Extremes is attempting to add a Nemesis-type system to Warframe for clans.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 07:27:56 PM

The first game was really good even if for a single playthrough. I'll get this one if they don't fuck it up.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 08:45:52 AM

If they really go balls-out with that premise, it could be fucking cool--that you're trying to forge a new Ring of Power *after* Sauron's fall, and so you're up against Aragorn's forces and lots of others. Imagine if it let you wander out to the south of Mordor to Umbar and Harad, if you had to go find Ungoliant and maybe even what's-his-name, Feanor's last son who is still wandering around the world blind after the last Simaril was lost, etc.  I would fucking love that--if you had nemesis enemies who weren't just orcs.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 09:54:12 AM

I'd be surprised if the Tolkien estate let them take the story in that direction. They're usually very, very picky about that kind of stuff.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 07:50:40 PM

Yeah. But heck, the first one was already a bit in that direction with the lore stuff; if you're trying to forge a new Ring of Power much more so. So why not let it go further? It's just a video game...
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 08:25:52 PM

I'd be surprised if the Tolkien estate let them take the story in that direction. They're usually very, very picky about that kind of stuff.

The Tolkien Estate ain't what it used to be since Warner Brothers ended up with the part of the IP that they have. I know after their acquisition Turbine's LoTRO became *much* less concerned about sticking strictly to the book lore -- to the MMO's worsening, IMO...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 08:33:51 PM

There's a lawsuit about video games and Gambling Devices. The estate holds that nobody has rights to produce them under the original 1969 sale of the rights.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkien_Estate#Gambling_devices

As of last August it hadn't gone to trial. Apparently MEE feels best to milk it and do whatever while things are in limbo.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 01:24:22 PM

The peter Jackson movies pretty much went on a merry special effects laden fuck over and through the books, so I guess no-one really cares anymore after that.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 05:50:05 PM

Actually, they do--it was the Hobbit trilogy that really, really pissed of Christopher Tolkien and through him the Estate and made them determined to shut down further action-centered adaptations of any content whose rights are not presently licensed (basically anything that is not in The Hobbit or LOTR).
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 07:30:19 AM

gameplay trailer's up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4bkIGgiyc

buddy of mine is working on this and what i've heard from inside monolith makes it sound pretty promising!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 10:24:07 AM

Yeah, ok.  They got me.

I am the .00000001428%
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 02:26:48 PM

Yeah. Shadows of Mordor was a great play, enjoy, uninstall game. That gameplay trailer for War, curated as it was, combined with my experience in the first one makes it a game I may actually pre-order since I want to play it right now. So an unusual reaction to say the least, especially from a trailer.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 06:12:54 PM

Hmm, looks pretty much the same to me. I got bored halfway through the first because you just end up doing the same thing over and over. It was great, but then it stopped being great and I was done.

This just looks like more of the same. There's no real RPG system, no narrative. Just you have followers as well as enemies. Doesn't seem to add that much to the experience to get it past the hurdle of the first game.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 07:15:55 PM

That looks as good as the first. It also looks like they don't do the typical RPG bullshit of stripping your powers before the next game. You're still really in tune with the elf lord and there were lots of moves that were endgame only in the first game. That's awesome.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 03:23:21 AM

It's a gameplay trailer. I wouldn't expect them to show you all de-powered at the start of the game in order to sell you on the new version, so... there's no telling if you'll be stripped or not when you actually begin. The gameplay trailer was clearly some way in, though, so in no way indicative of how you might begin.

I've started playing the first one again, though the GotY. I finished half of it in the first day plus about 75% of the side quests in one marathon 12-hour session (with breaks) which was great, and I've only managed to pick at it since then like an hour at a time. Once I finish it, I don't know if I'll manage to stay interested for the DLC built into the GotY. Like I never finished the Mafia II DLC. Started it, but I'd just had enough already by that point.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 06:28:27 AM

I watched the first livestream, which I don't recommend anyone else do, as the "host" was wildly annoying.  You could tell that even the developer with him was quickly growing tired of his shit.

It was mentioned that they basically turned on god mode for that gameplay demo, so you might not be so powered up at first when you play it.

The domination mechanic was talked about a little bit.  The essence was that even though they cannot resist your commands, they still have their own will and personalities, so they can scheme against you if you "wrong" them.  Stuff like leaving them to die in a battle without coming to their aid, promoting rivals over them, things like that.  If their name is "Ogluk the Backstabber," that's also a clue.  Overall, it seemed like a very interesting mechanic, with lots of possibilities.

The game world is a bunch of individual areas connected by the world map and loading screens, so not fully open world.  However, all the individual areas were described as being each larger than either of the two areas of the first game.  The game also allows you to 'go solo.'  Not all of the areas are fortresses like in the gameplay video, and even regarding the fortresses, you have the option of skipping the whole build an army thing and just go full Gravewalker and sneak around, sabotage and slaughter all by yourself.

This was what I gleaned after watching about a quarter of the livestream.  There may have been some more info later, but I reached a point where I wanted to punch that host through the screen, so I had to stop.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 12:16:05 PM

Something always causes Samus to lose her guns.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 09:36:46 AM

You even see in the cutscene trailer that you try and make your own ring and in doing so you lose your ghost pal.  The in game explanation will be that making the ring nearly drained your wraith completely and you'll need to power him back up to normal again.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 12:23:22 AM

Kinda glad I started playing the first one again. I'm like 80% through (not counting DLC) and I'm pretty much over it. It'll probably work out well for me regarding the new one, since I'll be much more willing to wait for a sale or GotY now.

If they started you off as Superman, then it kinda removes all of that RPG stuff that they talked about being a bigger part of the game this time around, excepting getting a shiny new Rohirrim jacket ...off an orc? And so forth.

I wonder if you'll have the reforged sword, dagger and bow from the first game? It'd make little sense for him to have lost those, but then weapons are a pretty core RPG upgrade, and I guess even Conan's father's sword got broke...

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 05:33:09 AM

Maybe he needs to toss all that shit into the forge to power up his ring-making operation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Shadows of Mordor 2 : Mor War  
Jump to: